What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody ever been completely lost on what to do with their life? Advice needed. (1 Viewer)

Since this is a fantasy football forum, and it's the industry I know best, here's another potential path for you...although the timing is a bit off right now...

Get a customer support position at one of the big fantasy sports or sports betting companies.  

• They hire tons of support agents every July/August to prepare for the surge of traffic when NFL starts
  • Generally no specific qualifications for those positions other than maybe passion for sports and decent writing skills and some sort of story about liking to assist others
  • Most of those hires are temporary contract that run till end of year or till the Super Bowl, but the companies try to bring any strong performers on full-time when the contracts end - often in more interesting roles
  • Starting salaries range from something like $40K-$50K depending on location
  • Between FanDuel and DraftKings alone, I'd estimate that 100+ people have moved into other roles than customer support at this point
  • At one of those companies alone, I know of 20+ people who started out as support agents, who are now Director level or higher (not all still with the same company), making $125K-$200K in roles in Marketing, Product Operations, Support, Product Management, Operations, Fraud, Event Management, and probably forgetting some others
If you want some additional tips on how make yourself appealing for these roles and some introductions to people involved in hiring at some of the companies, send me a PM.

You keep saying you are passionate about medicine. I saw 5+ opportunities in this thread all medicine related, and all quickly rejected by you. Are you saying you are passionate about being a doctor and nothing else related to the medicine / healthcare field?

from an outside observer it feels like you’re rejecting most any opportunity being presented in here. 

as others said, the key here is to get your foot in the door. That means taking whatever job you can get that is somewhat interesting. Do it for 12-18 months. Now you’re much more marketable and will get more callbacks for a job closer to what you want (and I bet you’ll have a better idea of what you want at that time also). It appears that you lack applied experience, with your resume largely filled with schooling. Go get 18 months of applied experience and you’ll find a lot more doors open 
This. I posted a fantastic job opportunity making real dollars in a field that is extremely difficult to get into and he poo poo’d it.  That door is closed now. I want someone who wants to work  OP doesn’t seem to want that, just lament about not getting into medical school. Sigh 

Last edited by a moderator:
This. I posted a fantastic job opportunity making real dollars in a field that is extremely difficult to get into and he poo poo’d it.  That door is closed now. I want someone who wants to work  OP doesn’t seem to want that, just lament about not getting into medical school. Sigh 
To be fair, it seemed like he lacked confidence in himself.  He wasn't diminishing the opportunity you presented.  He needs you to give him a Boiler Room type pep talk not close doors on him.

I'll go. I'll go right now! Do I gotta sign something? 

To be fair, it seemed like he lacked confidence in himself.  He wasn't diminishing the opportunity you presented.  He needs you to give him a Boiler Room type pep talk not close doors on him.
I agree totally but I’m not looking for someone who needs a nooky and frankly neither is any other employer.  I want someone who wants to work. Hell, this role requires 30 hours a week once you figure it out. OP sack up, you didn’t get into med school , sorry, no go out your big boy pants on and take a job any job for experience. 

That's not how I want to come across, it's just I think I'd be a really terrible salesperson. I don't think I have the personality for it. 

I am very appreciative of all the help guys, I really am. 

I have looked into several of the suggestions you guys have mentioned and I intend on applying to some positions. 

Admittedly, I am a bit of a procrastinator. I'm working on it. 

Sounds like I need to apply to 20+ positions a day. 

That's not how I want to come across, it's just I think I'd be a really terrible salesperson. I don't think I have the personality for it. 
I get it. But just so you know you’re already a salesperson. Every time you interact with someone your selling. Be it yourself, your ideals, your beliefs, your selling. A truly good salesperson doesn’t look at himself as such but rather a problem solver. I assure you I do not sell, I try to solve my customers problem. Good luck with your hunt. 

You also need a career counselor.  Your community college might have one.

If you haven't seen a doctor lately, you might want to get yourself evaluated for depression, which is a tricky opponent.

I have looked into several of the suggestions you guys have mentioned and I intend on applying to some positions. 

FYI, this is not the way to do it.

Top of the head memory, something like 80% of jobs are filled via networking.  Therefore, you should spend 80% of your time on networking, not chasing low probability means (cold-applying)

FYI, this is not the way to do it.

Top of the head memory, something like 80% of jobs are filled via networking.  Therefore, you should spend 80% of your time on networking, not chasing low probability means (cold-applying)
You mean like via LinkedIn? 

I have contacted an old professor from grad school, I’m waiting to hear back from him.

I don’t have much to work with when it comes to networking.

I have contacted an old professor from grad school, I’m waiting to hear back from him.

This thread is networking. You got a job interview out of it. LinkedIn is a part of it, but only a part. There are million links / books on networking, check some of them out. But it involves interpersonal interaction. If you’re doing interpersonal interaction for job searching / industry knowledge / exploration than you know you’re networking. If you’re not, then you’re not 

Or like this thread......it seems you already had a job offer of sorts but weren't interested in it.   You would be surprised how much you can advance just by letting every one you know that you are looking for work.  Opportunities come from the strangest places but you must be receptive to get those opportunities.  I would guess that 70-80% of jobs obtained came from knowing someone (maybe a friend of a friend) involved with getting you the job.  Vary rarely do you get a job that you had no personal knowledge of someone along the way to get there.  

When I was hiring I always asked around to people I know if they knew anyone interested.  It's the best way to get a little insight into the person you are interviewing.  So bottom line, if you want a job put yourself out there in multiple ways.  Ask your neighbors, acquaintances, friends, etc if they know of any opportunities.  It's the best way to get a chance.   

I get it. But just so you know you’re already a salesperson. Every time you interact with someone your selling. Be it yourself, your ideals, your beliefs, your selling. A truly good salesperson doesn’t look at himself as such but rather a problem solver. I assure you I do not sell, I try to solve my customers problem. Good luck with your hunt. 
Yeah. Everyone’s in sales one way or another. But some have call reluctance. Fear of rejection. Others can’t handle a quota over their head. It’s not for everyone. Plenty of bad salespeople out there already. If he thinks he’d hate it or will be bad at it he’s probably right 

That would be indicative of, if you were treating a job search as a full time job in itself, spending maybe 20 minutes on each. I don't think that really gives enough time to do a bit of research on the company and the role, and tailor your application/CV to suit it. Far better to spend more of your time filtering down the available jobs to those that you think you're better suited to and taking a bit more time getting your application right.

But as someone said up thread, networking is a big thing. I'm UK based so YMMV across the pond, but I didn't even apply for my current role, someone just found my CV shortly after I binned off my previous crappy job and here we are 4+ years later

Yeah. Everyone’s in sales one way or another. But some have call reluctance. Fear of rejection. Others can’t handle a quota over their head. It’s not for everyone. Plenty of bad salespeople out there already. If he thinks he’d hate it or will be bad at it he’s probably right 
OP makes it seem from what I've read, that he's more on the introverted side. I would think for the most part, those types probably aren't great at sales. Has nothing to do with not wanting to work as the guy who offered suggested, OP just has a strong inclination he would be a poor fit. I trust OP's judgement about himself. He knows better than any of us.

It's kind of ironic that you can't read the room.

I also seem to recall that Gachi is gay so I’m not sure if that’s a selling point.

I’ll reiterate what Cav said - find something you love or are passionate about and don’t worry about any money.
NO!!

Find something you are good at.  The passion will follow, eventually.

Mister CIA said:
AAABatteries said:
I also seem to recall that Gachi is gay so I’m not sure if that’s a selling point.

I’ll reiterate what Cav said - find something you love or are passionate about and don’t worry about any money.
NO!!

Yup. And even if the work passion never emerges, who cares? 

I'm not saying anyone should put up with hating their work, but this whole passion thing is misplaced. 

I like what I do, I'm good at it, and I enjoy helping my clients make money (I'm a marketing/sales/business copywriter). I definitely get a rush when I write a marketing piece that starts converting well. I do not mind it when Monday morning rolls around.

But passion? No. 

I'm passionate about my home life outside of work. About sharing a bottle of wine w/ my wife on our screen porch on a Friday evening. I'm passionate about some of my hobbies. If I had kids, I'm sure I'd be passionate about their lives and happiness.

Work pays for my passions. And it helps greatly that I like how I make money. But I wouldn't do it for free. If I didn't need money, I'd spend my time doing something I enjoy more. 

ShamrockPride said:
OP makes it seem from what I've read, that he's more on the introverted side. I would think for the most part, those types probably aren't great at sales. Has nothing to do with not wanting to work as the guy who offered suggested, OP just has a strong inclination he would be a poor fit. I trust OP's judgement about himself. He knows better than any of us.
Couldn’t tell if the job was inside or outside sales. Outside sales are not for introverted people.  

1-Pick something you can (not WANT) do.  

2-Get hired.

3-Grow with the company you work for.

4-Have the right attitude and get on with your life.

Things will happen through the course of whatever job you get which will dictate the path you'll follow.  

Mister CIA said:

I'm not saying anyone should put up with hating their work, but this whole passion thing is misplaced. 

I like what I do, I'm good at it, and I enjoy helping my clients make money (I'm a marketing/sales/business copywriter). I definitely get a rush when I write a marketing piece that starts converting well. I do not mind it when Monday morning rolls around.

But passion? No. 

I'm passionate about my home life outside of work. About sharing a bottle of wine w/ my wife on our screen porch on a Friday evening. I'm passionate about some of my hobbies. If I had kids, I'm sure I'd be passionate about their lives and happiness.

Work pays for my passions. And it helps greatly that I like how I make money. But I wouldn't do it for free. If I didn't need money, I'd spend my time doing something I enjoy more. 
You can make a career around something you love or use your career to allow you to do other things you love. Both fulfilling.
:hifive:

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
Find your passion, and do it on the weekends.
Some people find their value, and identity in their careers.  Some people work for the weekend......count me in that group.  

My best fishin buddy and I don't utter a solitary word about our work lives when we are on a weekend fishing trip......we occasionally are joined by another friend who wants to talk about work all weekend....and he's not very passionate about the fishing.....we kinda stopped inviting him.

Someone else on here said it......find something you are good at/can grow in, don't make it your entire life, and find passion outside of work.....work life balance, homez

But passion? No. 

I do agree with this and this is me - but not everyone is this way and based on this guy looking for advice in this way I'm guessing he's not wired that way.

Bartending might be a good job while you figure out what you want to do (or even longer-term if you end up liking it), lots of places are looking to hire that are willing to train right now and you should be able to average $20-$30/hour+ pretty much right from the start.  

Also, don't be afraid to try some of the ideas that you seem to be rejecting, such as some of the other ideas in this thread.   You aren't doing anything else so it doesn't hurt to try something, and you can always quit if you don't like it and won't be any worse off than you are now. 

Also, don't be afraid to try some of the ideas that you seem to be rejecting, such as some of the other ideas in this thread.   You aren't doing anything else so it doesn't hurt to try something, and you can always quit if you don't like it and won't be any worse off than you are now. 
Good advice here.  Another way to think about it - instead of thinking about each idea as requiring a yes/no decision (all of which are coming up as 'no'), thinking about them as a list where you go with the least bad idea, until something better comes along.

Moving ahead with things, even if they end up being wrong for you, allows you to learn more about yourself and to develop skills and credentials that may help you later on even if you switch paths.

Before I started working out of college, I thought choosing the right career path was a super important decision that would have major repercussions if I got that first step wrong.  In hindsight, the thing I got wrong was not trying enough jobs at the start of my career - it's so hard to know if you'll like a job until you do it or have direct working relationship with someone doing it. 

And then it turns out for me (and many other people) that the work itself doesn't really impact your happiness - the people that you are surrounded by will make or break how much you look forward to work or despise it.  my 2 cents. 

Before I started working out of college, I thought choosing the right career path was a super important decision that would have major repercussions if I got that first step wrong.  In hindsight, the thing I got wrong was not trying enough jobs at the start of my career - it's so hard to know if you'll like a job until you do it or have direct working relationship with someone doing it. 

And then it turns out for me (and many other people) that the work itself doesn't really impact your happiness - the people that you are surrounded by will make or break how much you look forward to work or despise it.  my 2 cents. 
Yup and even if you don’t plan on staying at said job forever, you’ll pick up some skills and experiences that will serve you later. Trying a few different jobs will also help you observe the differences between a toxic work environment from one that nurtures. 

I think this thread is kind of funny.  I mean, everyone regularly wonders what they are doing with their life and what they should do.  We've all been there.  Well, except those in dire straights who only wonder how they will make ends meet this month. 

Here is the bad news.  It.....never.....ends.  LOL.  I am 66, financially secure the rest of my life (probably), haven't worked in 20 years, and I'm still not sure what I should be doing.  Maybe I should do something useful instead of playing golf and traveling.  Then I realize I'm unwilling to give up my every day freedom to commit to anything.  Lately been thinking more and more about doing something new and constructive.

I envy you OP in that you have the whole world at your feet.  And you have lots of choices.  All I can say is - enjoy life.  It passes way too fast.

Ok so I had a conversation with a good friend the other day. He is the type to tell it bluntly, and not sugar coat anything. We all need those kinds of friends. 

He told me stop laying around and day dreaming. Start a plan, get my foot in the door and build from that. A fresh, new batch of talent graduates every semester and they are looking for work just like me. The job search is hard, perhaps the hardest job out there. He also said I was aiming too high in the job search and to focus solely on entry level positions because employers don't care how educated you are if you have no experience. Basically he said be more proactive and understand that you have to start somewhere. He is a guy I have long looked up to because he has great social skills and has done well for himself. He's a banking professional making 80+ with a house and car.

Our conversation really helped me because I realized I'm not cut out for the typical corporate America grind. It's part of the reason I chose medicine as a career. The process to become a physician is very direct, you do undergrad + med school + residency with very little deviation. Aside from the love of medical science and the human body I wanted to judged on what I knew, not who I could rub elbows with. I hope that makes sense. 

That being said, I just registered for an Anatomy & Physiology class at my local community college. I have decided to to do an accelerated nursing program. From there I will have a variety of options. I feel like nursing is a logical option for me because it's still in healthcare and I get to interact with patients. 

Also I reached out to a former professor and sent him my resume. He's gonna see if there's anything I could do at his old job. 

Anesthesiologist? Is that a medical school thing? As hard of a program you were trying to get into? 

Hello all, I’m at a crossroads in my life. I have no clue what to do next.

I have applied and been rejected from medical school 4 times. I decided today to move on after receiving an underwhelming MCAT score for the 4th time. 

I hold a bachelor’s in exercise science and a masters in biomedical sciences. 

I have no clue what I should do for work.

Im 29 and I live with my retired vet dad. I’m ready for some stability. I just don’t know what the heck to do. All I know is medicine. 

Bright side is I have no student loans and have a tiny bit of savings from the death of my grandmother (about $10k). 

I have looked into several careers including quality control testing, biotech & health operations. I’ve had one interview for a medical device position that I unfortunately wasn’t selected for.

My whole life I’ve always known what my next step was, but now that’s no longer the case. It’s an odd place to be in. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Patent law.  Huge demand.  Good pay.  

Go to law school.  Go to law school at an evening program if you can, while you work at day time.  It's 3-4 years, but you'll have plenty of options when you get out.  Note -- important to try and go to a good law school, and work hard to get good grades.

ETA: If you don't want to become a patent lawyer, become a patent agent.  Take the Patent Bar exam, and get a job with a good intellectual property law firm or group.  If you play your cards right, many of those types of firms have programs for their patent agents in which they will pay your law school tuition, in addition to a great salary, if you go to law school in the evening and work days with them.  But even if not, huge demand for patent agents, with some experience under your belt, you could basically pick the city you want to live in.

I think you’re on the right track with nursing. If you're considering being an advanced practice nurse (ie. nurse practitioner), I’d also check out physician assistant. Although they fill similar roles, for whatever reason, PAs (ortho specifically) appear to like their jobs more than NPs. But RN is a more versatile degree.

I’d also look into allied health professions. Some of these have been mentioned, but the ones I’ve encountered where people seem most content are occupational/physical therapists, nutritionists and speech therapists.

Agree with those who say passion for one’s job is overrated.  That being said, chasing money is too. Find a job you like, has room for professional growth and pays a decent wage. And it’s much better to have a schedule with weekdays off - let everyone else fight weekend crowds (disclaimer: I don’t have kids).

Beef Ravioli said:
Anesthesiologist? Is that a medical school thing? As hard of a program you were trying to get into? 
Yes it is. The non-physician path is nurse anesthetist, or CRNA. Pays a ton and everyone knows it, so also competitive. The actual job seems pretty boring IMO.

Can you get a job at the VA?  I know a guy who is a physical therapist that works at one, and he does well.
VAs are awesome. Inefficient, but manageable workload, and the patients are entertaining. I say this as a straight white male, as I’ve heard women and non-caucasians (esp. Asians) find it less enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread