What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody remember the book draft of 2006? (1 Viewer)

kupcho1

Footballguy
@rikishiboy @DCThunder@IvanKaramazov@mon @perry147@Uncle Humuna @Woz @cosjobs @Assani Fisher

Draft spreadsheet

3 tabs:  Cheatsheet (not sure why I named it that; it's just a list of my pics), Draft (pick by pick) and Thread post (drafter's picks grouped)

Not much I'd change here, although I think I could have done better in the Horror category.  I think that and Short Stories would be the only ones I'd change.  Although if I could do it over again: Clockwork Orange to Horror, and slide Infinite Jest (which needs to be in there somewhere) in as Drama.

I was not a part of that but thanks for posting that. I've been looking for some stuff to checkout from the library, so this is a great list of books.

:thumbup:

kupcho1 said:
@rikishiboy @DCThunder@IvanKaramazov@mon @perry147@Uncle Humuna @Woz @cosjobs @Assani Fisher

Draft spreadsheet

3 tabs:  Cheatsheet (not sure why I named it that; it's just a list of my pics), Draft (pick by pick) and Thread post (drafter's picks grouped)

Not much I'd change here, although I think I could have done better in the Horror category.  I think that and Short Stories would be the only ones I'd change.  Although if I could do it over again: Clockwork Orange to Horror, and slide Infinite Jest (which needs to be in there somewhere) in as Drama.
Would be so fun to do again, I wish I had gotten into that (though I wasn't well read enough then to really do it)

From what I can quickly gather, this would be my draft based on what is left over:

1. Non-fiction: In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
  2. Series: The Big Sleep (Phillip Marlowe) by Raymond Chandler
  3. Classic: Age of Innocence Edith Wharton
  4. Mystery: The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy
  5. Drama: Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates
  6. Sci Fi/Fantasy: The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
  7. Thriller: The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M. Cain 
  8. Horror: Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
  9. Short Stories Collection: The White Album by Joan Didion (maybe cheating since it is a book of essays, not short stories)
  10. Flex: The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers 

I'll see if I can pull together a leftover list later too. Maybe I'll try to focus just on post-2006 (and minimal white dudes, because the authors of the ones drafted are like 95% white dudes).

Decided to list my favorites in the categories from books published post-2006... 

1. Non-fiction: The Passage of Power by Robert Caro
  2. Series: Wolf Hall Trilogy by Hilary Mantel
  3. Classic: Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward (classic does not really work for any book published in the last 15 years (except maybe Wolf Hall, but I’ve got that above); so, I’ll put one of my favorites from that frame).
  4. Mystery: The Round House by Louise Erdrich
  5. Drama: Circe by Madeline Miller
  6. Sci Fi/Fantasy: The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead (cheating a bit here, but it has some fantasy elements)
  7. Thriller: The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen
  8. Horror: A Ladder to the Sky by John Boyne (I don’t read much horror; probably fits the closest)
  9. Short Stories: Tenth of December by George Saunders 
  10. Flex: Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi

Decided to list my favorites in the categories from books published post-2006... 

You could almost reverse these books' categories, Mantel did such a nice job on historic events.

Surprised there wasn't a biography category.  I guess you could have thrown them in as non-fiction or flex, but there is enough great literature there to be its own category, IMO.

Solid draft. 

I'm thinking I would have gone with: 

Non-fiction - The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test/Tom Wolfe or The Closing Of The American Mind by Allan Bloom
Short Stories Collection - Insert collection by Melville here (Bartleby, The Bachelors Of Paradise/The Tartarus Of Maids) Or Short Story Masterpieces by Various 
Classic - Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte 
Drama - Light Years by James Salter
Flex - Only for money, baby...
Etc., etc. 

3. Classic: Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward (classic does not really work for any book published in the last 15 years (except maybe Wolf Hall, but I’ve got that above); so, I’ll put one of my favorites from that frame).
  4. Mystery: The Round House by Louise Erdrich
  5. Drama: Circe by Madeline Miller
  6. Sci Fi/Fantasy: The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead (cheating a bit here, but it has some fantasy elements)
  7. Thriller: The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen
  8. Horror: A Ladder to the Sky by John Boyne (I don’t read much horror; probably fits the closest)
  9. Short Stories: Tenth of December by George Saunders 
  10. Flex: Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
I am about halfway through the TV Series now. It's really quite good but I had no idea about the fantastical elements. That really threw me off at first. 

I haven’t watch the TV series yet. Need to do so.
It’s good. Really well made, Barry Jenkins is so good with all of the visual elements of movie making. It looks so much better than what you would ever expect for a streaming show. It would look great on the big screen. The only drawback is that it’s obviously not an easy watch and isn’t something that I could binge. 

It’s good. Really well made, Barry Jenkins is so good with all of the visual elements of movie making. It looks so much better than what you would ever expect for a streaming show. It would look great on the big screen. The only drawback is that it’s obviously not an easy watch and isn’t something that I could binge. 
I gave up after 3 episodes.  There was something just off about it.

Wasn't there another book draft after that one? I thought I was in it, and wikkid maybe. Or I am confusing it with another draft like great works, or something.

Users who are viewing this thread