What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody's league (1 Viewer)

I assume you're talking about six teams getting into the playoffs.

One thing you might do is just get rid of H2H matchups in the first round and just use total points (i.e. all-play) instead. Six teams get in, whichever four teams score the most points in the first round advance to the second round, the bottom two teams are eliminated.

Or you could do doubleheaders in the first round. The 1 seed plays the 4 and 6 seeds, and the 2 seed plays the 3 and 5 seeds, something like that. In each matchup, if anyone goes 2-0, they advance; if they all end up tied 1-1, the top seed advances.

:shrug:

13 teams (have had 14 in the past): 1/3 of the pool goes to the top four regular, remainder to playoffs. 8 teams get in playoffs, higher seeded teams get 5-point advantage in quarters and semis.

14 teams, Top 8, no byes.

I'd prefer 6 with 1st/2nd byes.

My other league is 12 teams, Top 4, no byes.

Last edited by a moderator:
12 team league, top 8 in playoffs week 14-16.
so your regular season truly has no value.I'm disgusted that 6 teams make it in our 10 team league... but 6 in our 12 team league seems like plenty
That was my thought too...when you boil down to the fact that there is at least one guy who does not care/is not good, and another who just had everything go wrong, you literally have teams that are likely 5-8 making the playoffs. If you have a year where there are extreme haves/have nots, that could bring a 4-9 team into the mix. Personally, I would cut it to 6 teams make in a 12 teamer.

As noted above, in two leagues with no byes. One where 4 of 12 make it, the other 8 of 12.

Yes, 8 of 12 is a bit stupid - really lessons the importance of the regular season. Heck, I don't even worry about early season losses in that league, and in many cases by week 6 you can start "planning for the playoffs" - it's a bit silly to be honest.

12 team league, we have 6 team playoffs with byes. While I'd play to win my games regardless, one thing I do like about the system is that the top teams are generally still playing for something at the end of the regular season, as others have mentioned.

My redraft league of 10 teams lets 8 teams into the playoffs. Unbelievable. I've been lobbying to cut it to even 6 for years, especially after my 1-seed lost to a hot 8-seed a few years back. I should have left the league after that. Cause this year I'm a 1-seed and am in a dogfight with a lucky/hot 8 again. If my Seattle DEF doesn't destroy Arizona yesterday, it's already over.

And before you :ptts: I know it's my own fault. I think I just needed to vent and point out that yes, stupid leagues are out there.

My redraft league of 10 teams lets 8 teams into the playoffs. Unbelievable. I've been lobbying to cut it to even 6 for years, especially after my 1-seed lost to a hot 8-seed a few years back. I should have left the league after that. Cause this year I'm a 1-seed and am in a dogfight with a lucky/hot 8 again. If my Seattle DEF doesn't destroy Arizona yesterday, it's already over.And before you :ptts: I know it's my own fault. I think I just needed to vent and point out that yes, stupid leagues are out there.
Lol. Thanks, I needed that.

I hope these silly leagues with 8 of 12 making playoffs, at least reward the top teams with $$$$ for most points or winning the division. Seems ridiculous that a team could get 1st place, and have most points, and not get paid a dime, while #8 seed cleans up and wins it all.

I have a bye week in all of my leagues, the top team or the top 2 should be rewarded for a great regular season and it keeps things even more interesting when the top teams are fighting for a bye while the rest are fighting for a playoff spot.

16 player league / 4 division / top division winners get the higher seed

Tie breakers: Head-to-head -> Total points scored

Only 8 teams make playoffs.

I hope these silly leagues with 8 of 12 making playoffs, at least reward the top teams with $$$$ for most points or winning the division. Seems ridiculous that a team could get 1st place, and have most points, and not get paid a dime, while #8 seed cleans up and wins it all.
This is mine. 12 teams, 2 divisions. Regular season through Week 17. 8 teams make playoffs. 2 division winners, next 4 records, remaining 2 with highest points.22% for #1 seed. 22% for regular season points champ. 7% for other division winner. 12% gets spread to the team that wins the highest points each week.Redraft with up to 3 keepers from regular season, and go 1-8, 1-8, 8-1 (with keepers at end) to give edge to higher seeds. Division winners can keep 3 offensive, others can keep 2.Tournament winner gets 24%, runner up gets 12%In theory, you could be second highest in points and record, not win your division, get ranked #3 and get eliminated in the first round of playoffs by the #6 seed and get no money.

Ya our 12/8 is a points league first and foremost. Less money to Super Bowl winner than points winner. Of course you can hog both.

I don't like bye weeks at all. I play the game to play the game. My league used to want 6 in playoffs and top 2 have a bye in week 14. In that scenario, only 4 of our 12 owners play in week 14. I argued that by only having 4 in playoffs EVERY team got to play week 14 and the league was down to top 4 by week 15 either way.

12 teamer - 4 make the playoffs.

Makes the regular season games very meaningful. Very difficult to make the playoffs.

As noted above, in two leagues with no byes. One where 4 of 12 make it, the other 8 of 12.Yes, 8 of 12 is a bit stupid - really lessons the importance of the regular season. Heck, I don't even worry about early season losses in that league, and in many cases by week 6 you can start "planning for the playoffs" - it's a bit silly to be honest.
I have a league like that and because we have a lot of parity, it takes 7-7 or better to get into playoffs most of the time. Our final week of the regular season completely chage sthe playoff picture, and sometime one lineup decison on any given week can make or bresk you beacsue every game is big. The difference between 6-8 and 7-7 and playoffs can be the K you started in week 4.

16-team league, 8 teams make the playoffs.

I just barely edged out the #8 seed this week by a mere 0.18 points courtesy of Ryan Mallett's late-game interception.

The extra point from Shayne Graham put me over the top.

The #8 seed was pretty loaded from high priority waiver grabs and some shrewd trades at the deadline.

Loser this week would have gotten nothing and frankly I expected to lose so I could say the format isn't perfect.

But man... was that ever a thrilling win. I owe Mallett a Christmas card.

I don't like bye weeks at all. I play the game to play the game. My league used to want 6 in playoffs and top 2 have a bye in week 14. In that scenario, only 4 of our 12 owners play in week 14. I argued that by only having 4 in playoffs EVERY team got to play week 14 and the league was down to top 4 by week 15 either way.
12 team leagues...In the playoffs, have the two bye week teams play each other for cash. Or for the right to choose their final four opponent between the other two teams that advance. Or both.Have the toilet bowl bye week teams play strictly for the choice of opponent (or the right to automatically play the lowest seeded team to advance).This way all 12 teams are playing a game week 14 with something on the line.

12 teams, 6 make the playoffs.

For the sake of fairness and parity, we give the 5 & 6 seeds a bye.

As noted above, in two leagues with no byes. One where 4 of 12 make it, the other 8 of 12.Yes, 8 of 12 is a bit stupid - really lessons the importance of the regular season. Heck, I don't even worry about early season losses in that league, and in many cases by week 6 you can start "planning for the playoffs" - it's a bit silly to be honest.
Head to head isn't really balanced anyway. We take 8 out of 12. Our 7th and 8th place teams were 3rd and 4th in overall points. That kind of balances out the league better.

12 team league, we allow 13 to get in the playoffs.

When week 14 rolls around we nominate a single team from another league to join our playoffs.

16 teams...6 make the playoffs.... 1 and 2 get byes.

$250 dues : $10 FA pickups. Pot is usually ~$7k

Toilet Bowl (7th-16th): points leader wks 14-16 gets $100

6th: $150

5th: $300

4th: 10% of remaining pot

3rd: 20% of remaining pot

2nd: 30% of remaining pot

1st: 40% of remaining pot (~$2700)

If you finish first or second in a league of that size you deserve a free pass into the "big money".

12 team league, we allow 13 to get in the playoffs.When week 14 rolls around we nominate a single team from another league to join our playoffs.
We have a playoffs, but don't keep score so everyone's a winnerAt the end of the season we just give everyone their money back

12 teams, 4 make it, weeks 15 and 16.
This is the format of one of the leagues I am in and I think I prefer it. I don't like byes and I don't like seeing a hot 6th seed edge into the playoffs and go on a tear.
True, but the downside here is that you have a lot of people out of it early... leads to a less interested league.If you follow my posts at all, i'm the most in favor of the "best team" winning of anyone, ever.However, the goal of a FANTASY football league is mainly to have fun and keep people coming back... i think taking 4 teams is not conducive to this goalso the solution has been to give a pretty decent chunk of dough (1/3rd) to the overall points leader.. that guy has the best team.The byes help to ensure the top teams have a great shot at making it, but nothing is a lock.But much like in poker where you have to throw some bones (via bad beats and juiced pots) to the donkeys to keep them in the game... in FFL you have to throw some bones to the guys who go 6-7 and then just get hot.No different than the NFL where some crap 9-7 team can win a superbowl either.

One of my leagues has ditched playoffs and kept the regular season going through Week 16. Top 5 records get prize money as well as top points scorer.

'Wild Young Billy said:
'Sarnoff said:
12 teams, 6 make the playoffs.For the sake of fairness and parity, we give the 5 & 6 seeds a bye.
Interesting, it seems like you are penalizing the top seeds. Why move the 2 teams that squeaked into the playoffs directly to the semifinals?
It's not fair that the teams that benefited from drafting luckiest get all the breaks. It's like the rich staying rich. Giving the 5 and 6 teams a bye is the equivalent of a middle-class tax cut.

Users who are viewing this thread