What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone else have a week 17 championship? (1 Viewer)

Go deep

Footballguy
I hate it, but we have two 10 team leagues and the winner of each plays for the overall championship. The worst part about it is the winner of this game gets almost the whole amount of prize money. I came in 2nd last year and only got $100, and the winner got $600.

I considered emailing the guy(who i dont know) to see if he just wants to split the money and play for the trophy. Has anyone ever done this, is it collusion? The only reason im thinking of nt doing it is because we have the same two Rb's, so they will offset. Our WR's are pretty close, but my defense is better with a great matchup. The big difference is i have Aaron Rodgers ad he has Vick, who isnt playing so he is stuck with Cutler.

Does anyone else play in a league like this, and have or would you consider emailing for a split of the prize money?

Last edited by a moderator:
in both my leagues we don't have championships we just have the leader in record (pts scored as a tie breaker) over the 17 weeks. Sometimes there isn't much going on in week 17, this year i am tied for first in both. In one league i play the guy who I am tied with and in the other league its just must win. So both leagues have a lot riding on the week 17 outcome.

I'm already going from

vick - kolb

hicks - manningham

thinking of sitting garcon, wayne, bears players, maybe chiefs...

Local league we use to run played week 17 each year. National site I play in runs it Super Tournament of all league championships week 17 and that is for the big money.

One of the leagues I play in used to have a Week 17 championship. Headache doesn't even begin to describe it, because the team that got you to that point normally isn't the team you're fielding week 17. Thankfully, it was switched to week 16 and nobody shed a tear over it.

Anyone have an opinion on emailing the other guy and suggesting a split of the prize money? Normally i wouldnt do this, but i hate week 17 championships.

My league has a week 17 championship and I am one of the final 2 teams. Unfortunately, this is where my luck ends I am afraid. I have Vick, Nicks, AJ...all most likely out. Backups are Fitzpatrick or Tebow, Santana Moss, Mike Williams (TB). :shrug:

I play in a 36 team league. It's 3 seperate conferences consisting of 12 teams each. Each conference initially drafts from the entire NFL pool. Week 17 is a redraft where each of the 3 conferences final positions redraft against each other. (The 3 #1's redraft against each other, the 3 #2's, etc). My redraft is tonight. Kind of cool and different.

I play in a 36 team league. It's 3 seperate conferences consisting of 12 teams each. Each conference initially drafts from the entire NFL pool. Week 17 is a redraft where each of the 3 conferences final positions redraft against each other. (The 3 #1's redraft against each other, the 3 #2's, etc). My redraft is tonight. Kind of cool and different.
I play in a 12 team league with a 17 week regular season and then 2 rounds of re-draft playoffs for the 3 division winners and 1 wildcard team played during the NFL Divisional and Conference championship weeks. I love the challenge of evaluating the matchups and choosing who to draft for the playoffs based on who they play. It's also nice to know that when you're playing for the title, your players will actually be trying.

Jesus Christ that hurts my head reading that.

We don't have a playoffs in our league. Top 3 teams payout including the best team w/ the most points outside the top 3. It can be frustrating dealing with a wk 17 lineup but i think it is more competitive this way. We have 5 teams with something to play for.

I don't think it's collusion. It's not like either of you are trying to dump players from your roster on the side while he scoops them up or anything like that. What the winner does with the money is his business and whether that's to buy hookers and beer or split it with his opponent, that's his choice since it's his money.

I hate Week 17 championships too. I'm in one right now but it will be the last time the league in question uses it, we'll be going to Week 16 starting next season.

I don't think it's collusion. It's not like either of you are trying to dump players from your roster on the side while he scoops them up or anything like that. What the winner does with the money is his business and whether that's to buy hookers and beer or split it with his opponent, that's his choice since it's his money. I hate Week 17 championships too. I'm in one right now but it will be the last time the league in question uses it, we'll be going to Week 16 starting next season.
If there is a season and if there is it may be an 18 game season.

Why would anyone not end week 16?
Why would anyone choose not to play week 17?
Because, as somebody earlier said, the team that got you here isn't the team you line up to play week 17. Vick got me here,now I gotta roll the dice with Flacco for all the marbles. Not a fan of week 17 championships, but I knew the rules going in,so I'll deal. Here's to my hopeful repeat title :goodposting:

Because, as somebody earlier said, the team that got you here isn't the team you line up to play week 17. Vick got me here,now I gotta roll the dice with Flacco for all the marbles. Not a fan of week 17 championships, but I knew the rules going in,so I'll deal. Here's to my hopeful repeat title :thumbup:
It is the team that got you there - you didn't drop everyone and add an entire new team did you? It may not be the starting line-up you want but knowing that you have a week 17 championship you should plan accordingly, just like your opponent did. Besides the entire league getting to play an additional week of fantasy football (playoffs begin week 15) and everyone having another shot at the weekly prize, the week 17 championship adds another new dimension that can be fun and challenging.

Because, as somebody earlier said, the team that got you here isn't the team you line up to play week 17. Vick got me here,now I gotta roll the dice with Flacco for all the marbles. Not a fan of week 17 championships, but I knew the rules going in,so I'll deal. Here's to my hopeful repeat title :goodposting:
It is the team that got you there - you didn't drop everyone and add an entire new team did you? It may not be the starting line-up you want but knowing that you have a week 17 championship you should plan accordingly, just like your opponent did. Besides the entire league getting to play an additional week of fantasy football (playoffs begin week 15) and everyone having another shot at the weekly prize, the week 17 championship adds another new dimension that can be fun and challenging.
Alright, now I've known you've never been part of a week 17 championship game. Nice try though. It's not uncommon at all to find the participating teams raiding the waiver wires to field a squad to play. Plan ahead all you want, but it's never easy to tell who will be active week 17 and who's sitting. If week 17 was so fun and challenging a lot more leagues would be doing it, the fact that it's so rare anymore shows that it can add it's own challenge... it certainly isn't much fun.

Because, as somebody earlier said, the team that got you here isn't the team you line up to play week 17. Vick got me here,now I gotta roll the dice with Flacco for all the marbles. Not a fan of week 17 championships, but I knew the rules going in,so I'll deal. Here's to my hopeful repeat title :thumbup:
Alright, now I've known you've never been part of a week 17 championship game. Nice try though. It's not uncommon at all to find the participating teams raiding the waiver wires to field a squad to play. Plan ahead all you want, but it's never easy to tell who will be active week 17 and who's sitting. If week 17 was so fun and challenging a lot more leagues would be doing it, the fact that it's so rare anymore shows that it can add it's own challenge... it certainly isn't much fun.
Nice. Trying to put me down without knowing your facts is not a good way to argue your point. I'm in my ninth year in my keeper league. This weekend will be my fifth trip to our week 17 championship game. The previous three I won while my keeper QB, Peyton Manning was on the bench. I won one year with Josh McCown at QB and Mewelde Moore at RB. I have to admit that it was a pain in the butt at the time because I felt like I had the better team at full strength. But when it was all over and I won it felt even better because it took more skill.You may resume to putting me down now.

I'm in a week 17 championship. I like it. It forces owners to really manage a team to win. I'm dropping Brady/Maclin, and having to pick up off the WW.

I have a Week 17 championship in one league that I'm in. I prefer it to the Week 16 championship. Week 17 is the most challenging and difficult week to pick and set a lineup. If the intention is to name a champion based on their FF acumen and skill, I think Week 17 is the best test of that.

My main league has a week 17 championship

Our rosters have been locked since the start of the playoffs (last waiver wire moves are the Wednesday before week 15 starts)

It’s a 12 team league. We have 20 man rosters but only start 8

The title games is the 4th highest scoring team vs. the highest scoring team (mine)

Here are the rosters

Team 1 (4th highest scoring team)

Campbell, Jason OAK QB

Romo, Tony DAL QB

Smith, Alex SFO QB

Smith, Troy SFO QB

Stafford, Matthew DET QB

Foster, Arian HOU RB

Green-Ellis, BenJarvus NEP RB

Hightower, Tim ARI RB

Starks, James GBP RB

Mason, Derrick BAL WR

Nicks, Hakeem NYG WR

Obomanu, Ben SEA WR

Thomas, Mike JAC WR

Wallace, Mike PIT WR

Pettigrew, Brandon DET TE

Witten, Jason DAL TE

Graham, Shayne NEP PK

Rackers, Neil HOU PK

Browns, Cleveland CLE Def

Raiders, Oakland OAK Def

Team 2 (highest scoring team)

Bradford, Sam STL QB

Collins, Kerry TEN QB

Hasselbeck, Matt SEA QB

Manning, Eli NYG QB

Bradshaw, Ahmad NYG RB

Gerhart, Toby MIN RB

Peterson, Adrian MIN RB

Thomas, Pierre NOS RB

Ward, Derrick HOU RB

Floyd, Malcom SDC WR

Johnson, Calvin DET WR

Manningham, Mario NYG WR

Moore, Lance NOS WR

Owens, Terrell CIN WR

Williams, Mike TBB WR

Lewis, Marcedes JAC TE

Bryant, Matt ATL PK

Chargers, San Diego SDC Def

Dolphins, Miami MIA Def

Seahawks, Seattle SEA Def

I have a Week 17 championship in one league that I'm in. I prefer it to the Week 16 championship. Week 17 is the most challenging and difficult week to pick and set a lineup. If the intention is to name a champion based on their FF acumen and skill, I think Week 17 is the best test of that.
:cry:

No week 17 championship, but my total points league is coming down to the last week in a very tight race. And who says total points leagues are not exciting??

Keith R said:
Don Quixote said:
:confused:
:X One more endorsement for week 17 games. The winners are usually the ones who start rearranging their squads over one month in advance. That's a great way to help determine who's the best FF manager.

Keith R said:
Don Quixote said:
:goodposting:
:confused: One more endorsement for week 17 games. The winners are usually the ones who start rearranging their squads over one month in advance. That's a great way to help determine who's the best FF manager.
What you guys call FF acumen is what I call LUCK! I won my week 17 championship game last year, and am trying to defend my title this weekend. I won last year because I had Arian Foster, Sidney Rice, and Aromashadu (sp) all have huge games in week 17 last year. None of those were on my roster during the season. There is little to no skill to pick no name second and third string players and have them go off for 1 game. I won because I was luckier than my opponent. Hopefully I will be luckier than my opponent this year as well. FF acumen pffft! It's luck I tell ya. Don't make yourselves out to be more than you are. Here's to hoping we all guess right on a bet.

Keith R said:
Don Quixote said:
:thumbup:
:scared: One more endorsement for week 17 games. The winners are usually the ones who start rearranging their squads over one month in advance. That's a great way to help determine who's the best FF manager.
What you guys call FF acumen is what I call LUCK! I won my week 17 championship game last year, and am trying to defend my title this weekend. I won last year because I had Arian Foster, Sidney Rice, and Aromashadu (sp) all have huge games in week 17 last year. None of those were on my roster during the season. There is little to no skill to pick no name second and third string players and have them go off for 1 game. I won because I was luckier than my opponent. Hopefully I will be luckier than my opponent this year as well. FF acumen pffft! It's luck I tell ya. Don't make yourselves out to be more than you are. Here's to hoping we all guess right on a bet.
Well if you really don't know what your doing and you keep making it to your championship games then I would say you're very lucky; or you play against guys who know less than you. I am in a dynasty league and my team is built for weeks 15-17; it is why I keep both P. Manning and A. Rodgers. We have two reserves at each positions and 6 moves allowed all year; it takes planning and nerves to not jump the gun. This year losing games while holding on to P. Thomas, is what allows me to have him this time of year. I have won our championship plenty and I always seem to make the playoffs while other guys crush during the regular season and lose out.As for splitting the money, the other guy is losing Vick and you want to split money with him? Show some balls; if he beats you after taking that loss, let him have his money.

I'm in the championship game in my main league. It's a TD-only league, so it seems a lot harder this week to figure out who's

playing and who's going to score.

A little worried because my opponent has Peterson and a couple others than can put some points up. Was a bit more comfortable

going into this week until I heard Nicks is likely out. Having to make a couple last minute waiver pickups (grabbing Kuhn and Mike

Thomas) because of injuries (and also keeping them away from my opponent).

southeastjerome said:
No week 17 championship, but my total points league is coming down to the last week in a very tight race. And who says total points leagues are not exciting??
i wish to god my total points league ended last week. half my team is questionable (bradshaw, stewart, jones-drew) and my mvp isn't playing because his and my team laid an egg last week (vick/eagles). simply no way to replace michael vick in the most crucial week of the season. whitehurst? edwards? collins? grossman? hopefully i can hold on to my slim leads (overall and second half).

southeastjerome said:
i wish to god my total points league ended last week. half my team is questionable (bradshaw, stewart, jones-drew) and my mvp isn't playing because his and my team laid an egg last week (vick/eagles). simply no way to replace michael vick in the most crucial week of the season. whitehurst? edwards? collins? grossman? hopefully i can hold on to my slim leads (overall and second half).
Thats sucks. Im playing against the Vick owner this week, his other option is Cutler and i have Rodgers, and i still think week 17 is stupid. Dont get me wrong, ill take the money if i win, but its just not fair to my opponent to have to play his backup QB, who will barely play.The worst part about my league is we have small/strict rosters(14 roster spots, and you have to have 2QB's, 2RB's, 5WR's, 1RB/WR flex, 2K's, 2D's). Starting requirements are 1 QB, 1RB, 3WR, 1RB/WR flex, 1K, 1D. So its not like you can even prepare for a week 17 championship.

Users who are viewing this thread