What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone Else Not File Your Taxes Yet? (1 Viewer)

Just finished up except filling in one blank (kid's daycare's EIN for the Childcare Tax Credit) and sending in a check for the wife's 2016 IRA contribution. Feels pretty damn good to be done early for a change.

Never had to before but thinking you are right.....or should I just let them file it and make the payment and amend later?

As of course I'm doing a refi on a rental property that needs my return to close next week.  :rant:
I would suggest filing an extension with a payment. Better than filing and doing and amended later.

And you might need a new accountant if he is screwing up several things (or is it a matter of him/her not having all the information)?

So you do your taxes (or have someone do them for you)...and you calculate that you're either due a refund based on what's been taken out during the year, or owe.

I almost always owe more, and have to send a follow up payment. I don't really care about that. When I have gotten a refund, I've just taken it without question that it's the right amount. It's never that much, but it's the principle of the thing that has me thinking

Has anyone here ever filed for a State/Federal refund, and gotten a response back that you're actually owed more than you calculated, and they send you a check greater than what you calculated you are owed? Or is it generally considered your tough cookies if you're incorrect about the amount you are owed, and the govt. keeps mistakes in their favor?

Simple example: you calculate you are owed $100, but you're actually owed more. Does the govt send you a response with a check for $100+X?

Has anyone here made a payment to State/Federal, and gotten a response back that you sent in too big of a check, and they refund you the difference? Or is it generally considered your tough cookies if you're incorrect (to the governments benefit), and they just keep the extra, sorry about your luck? Not talking about estimated tax overpayment, just sending them too large a check with your return?

Simple example: you calculate you owe $100, but you actually owe less. Does govt send you a response with a check for $100-X?

So you do your taxes (or have someone do them for you)...and you calculate that you're either due a refund based on what's been taken out during the year, or owe.

I almost always owe more, and have to send a follow up payment. I don't really care about that. When I have gotten a refund, I've just taken it without question that it's the right amount. It's never that much, but it's the principle of the thing that has me thinking

Has anyone here ever filed for a State/Federal refund, and gotten a response back that you're actually owed more than you calculated, and they send you a check greater than what you calculated you are owed? Or is it generally considered your tough cookies if you're incorrect about the amount you are owed, and the govt. keeps mistakes in their favor?

Simple example: you calculate you are owed $100, but you're actually owed more. Does the govt send you a response with a check for $100+X?

Has anyone here made a payment to State/Federal, and gotten a response back that you sent in too big of a check, and they refund you the difference? Or is it generally considered your tough cookies if you're incorrect (to the governments benefit), and they just keep the extra, sorry about your luck? Not talking about estimated tax overpayment, just sending them too large a check with your return?

Simple example: you calculate you owe $100, but you actually owe less. Does govt send you a response with a check for $100-X?
Yes.  They return excess amounts.   

Was just about to fill out the 4868 (still waiting on a k-1) to file an extension and send check, then realized in the instructions you can just make an electronic payment and it does the 4868 for you. 

M1 and Fundrise take a while with their forms. But I input everything else in, and so far it looks like we’ll get a whole $300 back from the feds, pay $100 to the state. That will change some with capital gains / losses and dividends but I’m in no rush.

Someone has been filing with my daughter's name and SSN the last couple years so I'm waiting on a PIN for my daughter. I should have had it by now, but I haven't seen it. This probably means my daughter will need to call the IRS a dozen times before she can get through to someone to get her PIN.

I'm also considering waiting to see if the SALT deduction is increased for married couples. There's talks of making that a $20k limit and making it retroactive to 2023.

i have to sit down and figure stuff out - i messed up with my son and never claimed school stuff the first year so I want to be sure I do it correctly

Just filed mine today. Always plug everything in early to see if I'm getting a refund.

Oregon had a special stockpile tax refund kicker in their budget this year and I'm getting $4,500 back from the state!!

I snooped on my boss....he's getting back $80K. :lmao:

I need a raise.

I was a little aghast last year when my wife gave me her W2 and there were NO Fed taxes withheld. She hadn't worked since the twins were born in 2015, so I figured just a little oversight, not a big deal (she didn't make all that much). Had our accountant fill out a new W4 for her to give to her employer (public school district) and figured all was well.

Got her W2 this year and guess who had no Fed taxes withheld? :lmao:

Gawd.

I was a little aghast last year when my wife gave me her W2 and there were NO Fed taxes withheld. She hadn't worked since the twins were born in 2015, so I figured just a little oversight, not a big deal (she didn't make all that much). Had our accountant fill out a new W4 for her to give to her employer (public school district) and figured all was well.

Gawd.
You too?

My wife started a new job last year. February-ish. I saw one of her first paychecks and said something like "they sure aren't taking out much federal. you may want to double-check your W4"

Started doing the taxes last Thursday and looked at her W2 and said out loud: "Well, we are FUUUC.............."

And we are. Huge tax bill this year. An innocent mistake but painful. I couldn't say anything of course other then let's go fix this. But man, this one reaaaaaaalllllly hurts. Bad.

Gawd.
You too?

My wife started a new job last year. February-ish. I saw one of her first paychecks and said something like "they sure aren't taking out much federal. you may want to double-check your W4"

Started doing the taxes last Thursday and looked at her W2 and said out loud: "Well, we are FUUUC.............."

And we are. Huge tax bill this year. An innocent mistake but painful. I couldn't say anything of course other then let's go fix this. But man, this one reaaaaaaalllllly hurts. Bad.

I don't think it'll hurt us too bad. Like Hack said, we're getting a big kicker back from Oregon, so worst case, that covers her liability. I have quite a bit taken out of mine by design, so we're gonna be okay, it just.....like, does she even look at her paystubs? I love her and she has 50 IQ points on me, but my goodness, girl.

i have to sit down and figure stuff out - i messed up with my son and never claimed school stuff the first year so I want to be sure I do it correctly

I spend about $350 a year for my guy to do our taxes. Best money I spend every year.

I think our is 250ish and mine aren’t even that complicated. I’m sure I could do myself but it’s nice just having the peace of mind that I have a professional reviewing them (he’s also a tax attorney not just a CPA or whatever)

Can’t imagine he’s going to be doing it much longer though so I’ll probably end up having my cousin-in-law do them

Gawd.
You too?

I have whole spreadsheet where I track all of our tax-related data throughout the year to try to manage my refund/bill, so I'm always aware of my wife's withholding. When you fill out the W4 and you're the much smaller earner in a married-filed-jointly situation, it's going to withhold very little so I utilize the field for withholding extra and adjust mine.

.he's getting back $80K. :lmao:
Da ****?
she has 50 IQ points on me
I was going to but I'll just leave it alone

Filed mine and one of our daughters this weekend. The other daughter uses Cash App and they aren't doing state taxes yet so she has to wait. I told her that someday when she gets a real job and can afford the $78 to use my Turbo Tax services will be a good day for tax preparer.

I spend about $350 a year for my guy to do our taxes. Best money I spend every year.
99% of the time I have a stadndard deduction - im as close to being able to do a 1040ez as one can be owning a home :lol:

My wife used to go to one of those tax places - we went the first time we got married and I was like dude is just filling in boxes in Turbo tax.... I've done it ever since. When the guy said to me you should inquire about getting certified to doing tax prep i was like gtfo :lmao:

I need to find an actual accountant soon I think

Did mine a couple of weeks ago. Getting closer to $0 owed each year. Adjusted my withholdings accordingly and hoping for the best.

99% of the time I have a stadndard deduction - im as close to being able to do a 1040ez as one can be owning a home :lol:

My wife used to go to one of those tax places - we went the first time we got married and I was like dude is just filling in boxes in Turbo tax.... I've done it ever since. When the guy said to me you should inquire about getting certified to doing tax prep i was like gtfo :lmao:

I've been doing my own through Tax Slayer. I've actually used their chat help or phone help line when my wife had 1099 income and received clear, quick answers. So, depending on why you think you might need to hire an accountant, you might be able to get the help through the online filing sites.

I always do mine before I go to my tax guy. He always gets me more back then what I do when I try on my own.

It's little things he does, like giving me the maximum deduction for charitable contributions without needed to show proof I made the donation. Plus, he handles any audits (haven't had any) or amendments to returns (I did have to do that once).

I've been doing my own through Tax Slayer. I've actually used their chat help or phone help line when my wife had 1099 income and received clear, quick answers. So, depending on why you think you might need to hire an accountant, you might be able to get the help through the online filing sites.

My problem with the tax software and speaking just personally, it's never FREE free. Especially when it comes to the state part of the filing. Invariably, the FREE tax service will cost me between $75 to $100 to e-file. Why not pay a little more for a pro to do it? That way, I'm not missing anything or worrying about missing anything and I save myself the hassle and the time. So much easier.

Just filed mine today. Always plug everything in early to see if I'm getting a refund.

Oregon had a special stockpile tax refund kicker in their budget this year and I'm getting $4,500 back from the state!!

I snooped on my boss....he's getting back $80K. :lmao:

I need a raise.

Unless he's making crazy money that doesn't seem very smart.

So...again, this is a KICKER check from the STATE and it's an outlier this year for sure. Believe me, this guy pays through the nose in estimated taxes each quarter. The kicker check from Oregon is based on a surplus of $5.6 billion that gets sent back to the state's taxpayers. The more you paid in 2022 the more you're getting back with your 2023 filing. I'm getting back enough to buy a used, small compact sedan with some body damage.

I do my own taxes (I use H&R Block software ) and have finished but am waiting to file.

May not be relevant to many of us but there is a pending possible SALT deduction cap increase to $20,000 for MFJ filers with MAGI <$500k. This is retroactive for only the 2023 tax year.

There will be a procedural vote on the 14th on whether it will be allowed to come to the floor for a vote.

Yeah...been using handr for as long as I can remember and haven't had a need yet....

Yeah...been using handr for as long as I can remember and haven't had a need yet....

Handr sounds like a mobile app for finding Dutch Rudders in your vicinity.

Daughter showed me Free Tax USA yesterday. That's how she was filing hers. Said her Fed was free and state cost $15. She said to efile was $25. So she only spent about $40 total.

don’t take it all, take $3500 and roll over $1000 to next year’s bill.

I do my own taxes (I use H&R Block software ) and have finished but am waiting to file.

May not be relevant to many of us but there is a pending possible SALT deduction cap increase to $20,000 for MFJ filers with MAGI <$500k. This is retroactive for only the 2023 tax year.

There will be a procedural vote on the 14th on whether it will be allowed to come to the floor for a vote.

aka The Blue State tax. this would benefit me, but will never be passed.

If you make under $40K this is COMPLETELY free. Yes, that includes state.

Screw Turbotax, Taxslayer, and H & R Block.

You do have to type in your W2(oh noooze) but, worth it.

Thanks for this. I do use the free ish web services for my sons' taxes so it's nice to know another option.

If you make under $40K this is COMPLETELY free. Yes, that includes state.

Screw Turbotax, Taxslayer, and H & R Block.

You do have to type in your W2(oh noooze) but, worth it.

Thanks for this. I do use the free ish web services for my sons' taxes so it's nice to know another option.
I know the link shows $9.95 for state but mine(Maine) was free.

don’t take it all, take $3500 and roll over $1000 to next year’s bill.
I've never owed the state since I've lived here. Usually get a few bucks back. I'm keeping all this for some home repairs.

Gawd.
You too?

I have whole spreadsheet where I track all of our tax-related data throughout the year to try to manage my refund/bill, so I'm always aware of my wife's withholding. When you fill out the W4 and you're the much smaller earner in a married-filed-jointly situation, it's going to withhold very little so I utilize the field for withholding extra and adjust mine.
I forecast my tax liability for the year and then track each paycheck to make sure I’m on track. I added $200 month to my withholding for 2024 as I will be done with alimony payments in April.

Free fillable forms through the IRS - I actually enjoy the process. I started a couple weeks ago and should have the rest of my docs by the end of the week.

Always do our own but always owe. Have added withholdings to my check last couple years to try to reduce it. Don’t really understand how much a tax expert could provide though with the standard deduction seemingly always the best choice.

Not sure what she paid $25 for, but FreeTaxUSA is free + $15 per state includes efile. They do have a Premium support package that includes free amended returns but it's pretty cheap. I've used them for several years it's a great package.

Someone has been filing with my daughter's name and SSN the last couple years so I'm waiting on a PIN for my daughter. I should have had it by now, but I haven't seen it. This probably means my daughter will need to call the IRS a dozen times before she can get through to someone to get her PIN.

I'm also considering waiting to see if the SALT deduction is increased for married couples. There's talks of making that a $20k limit and making it retroactive to 2023.

A SALT deduction increase would be HUGE for me. Please, please, please. Getting double taxed on friggin' property taxes... :rant:

A SALT deduction increase would be HUGE for me. Please, please, please. Getting double taxed on friggin' property taxes... :rant:
The reaction from high tax states should have been to lower property taxes to something non-extortionary as SALT is good policy. (However we know states, particularly those high tax states, aren't going to voluntarily reduce spending, so we are where we are now). But it looks very likely that the Trump tax cuts will expire and SALT limit will go away permanently. So a bit of plus and minus monetarily there in the long term as tax brackets bump back up, too.

All that said I have finished my taxes for the most part and it looks like small refunds from state and feds. Might finally be a year I calculated stuff out right.

Last edited:

The reaction from high tax states should have been to lower property taxes to something non-extortionary as SALT is good policy. (However we know states, particularly those high tax states, aren't going to voluntarily reduce spending, so we are where we are now). But it looks very likely that the Trump tax cuts will expire and SALT limit will go away permanently. So a bit of plus and minus monetarily there in the long term as tax brackets bump back up, too.

All that said I have finished my taxes for the most part and it looks like small refunds from state and feds. Might finally be a year I calculated stuff out right.
The combo of the reduced standard deduction in 2026 plus the shift in brackets from 22% to 25% and 24% to 28% will hurt. Quick math says it will cost me $7k-$9k. Good news is I turn 50 in 2026 so catch up contributions could bring the pain down ~$2k.

Users who are viewing this thread