What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone go RB-RB-RB in their draft? (1 Viewer)

eoMMan

Footballguy
I'm in a 10 team, ppr league and I pick 10th. It's standard scoring (1 pt. for 10 yds rushing/receiving, 1 pt. for 25 yds passing, all TD's 6 pts., etc.) We keep 1 player (keeping Peterson) and I'm trying to figure out what strategy I should use. QB's go quick in my league so believe or not, the top 6 QB's will probably be gone by the time it gets to me (I think 3 of them are being kept). Anyway, I see guys like L. Fitzgerald, M. Forte, S. Jackson, F. Gore, D. McFadden, H. Nicks, etc. all falling to me. We start 2 RB's, 2 WR's, and 1 Flex (WR/RB/TE).

Should I go RB-RB? Anyone try this recently (getting 3 RB's in first 3 picks?

I would normally mix in a WR in there to give me some draft flexibility later but these backs might be too good to pass up. Thoughts? Should I take someone like Fitz and see what backs fall to the 3rd, 4th, etc.?

:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
going RB/RB/RB is a 90's strategy that isn't optimal anymore since good RB's don't slide much anymore.

Then again it was never that great of a strategy to begin with.

Just went RB-RB-RB in the tackle heavy leg of the FBG IDP Survivor league

foster at 1.1, then scooped up forte and gore at 2.12, 3.1

Didnt really want to get on the back end of a qb or wr run since those were flying off the board. Its true it does kinda restrict you for the rest of the draft, but at the same time, being best ball, im fine fielding a qb by committee, and patching together a nice deep wr core albeit without the true #1....

It has its risks especially in a 2RB/3WR/1flex, and you can't go into the draft planning on it, but if the right guys fall it doesnt hurt to lock up your rb position early IMO

btw just got mike williams at 4.12 and took dallas clark at 5.1

uhhh...how many rb's can you start....how many wr's do you HAVE to start....and scoring system...all play a major part in getting an answer to this question...i'm sure sme have but it depends on those questions...

I would take Nicks over any of those backs, in your position.

RB-RB can often work and I love the thought of starting AP/DMC - two of the most talented backs in the NFL and two who figure to get major touches. But RB-RB-RB is something I wouldn't do.

I would take Nicks over any of those backs, in your position. RB-RB can often work and I love the thought of starting AP/DMC - two of the most talented backs in the NFL and two who figure to get major touches. But RB-RB-RB is something I wouldn't do.
Not sure if you were talking to me, but Nicks was long gone. I was picking from the likes of brandon marshall and welker in the WR department

uhhh...how many rb's can you start....how many wr's do you HAVE to start....and scoring system...all play a major part in getting an answer to this question...i'm sure sme have but it depends on those questions...
I edited the 1st post but we have to start 2 RB's, 2 WR's, and 1 Flex (WR/RB/TE). It's standard PPR scoring (1 pt. for 10 yds rushing/receiving, 1 pt. for 25 yds passing, all TD's are 6 pts. etc.)

I won my league going RB/RB/RB last year in a 12man 1qb/2rb/3wr/1flex/te/k/def League

Keep in mind I drafted gore, addai and Best.... so suffice it to say, I won due to maniacal managing and waiver pickups... As well as Tampa Mike.

I won't do it again unless some beastly unpassable RBs drop

Currently in round 6 in 12 team PPR 2-4 RB and 2-4 WR

1.02 Ray Rice

2.11 Peyton Hillis

3.02 Jahvid Best

4.11 Brandon Lloyd

5.02 Percy Harvin

my draft pretty much depend on this next turn and who is left available. RBs are getting real thin.

Currently in round 6 in 12 team PPR 2-4 RB and 2-4 WR1.02 Ray Rice2.11 Peyton Hillis3.02 Jahvid Best4.11 Brandon Lloyd5.02 Percy Harvinmy draft pretty much depend on this next turn and who is left available. RBs are getting real thin.
Yup, Im at 1.01, and if Hillis comes back to me at 2.12, he's all mine... Then I'll probably go WR or QB

Which RBs? That kind of matters. Lot of questions on my end.
Don't know for sure who will fall but guys like Gore, Jackson, Forte, Best, maybe McFadden (no one likes him in my league it seems), etc.
Gore is an inj risk at this point IMO.Not a big fan of SJax who has 2 down years in a row. Forte no OL to run behindBest has no partner to lighten the loadMcFadden also no OL as of this moment. Not a fan of the late 1st/ mid 2nd round RBs

Don't know for sure who will fall but guys like Gore, Jackson, Forte, Best, maybe McFadden (no one likes him in my league it seems), etc.
Gore is an ink risk at this point IMO.Not a big fan of SJax who has 2 down years in a row. Forte no OL to run behindBest has no partner to lighten the loadMcFadden also no OL as of this moment. Not a fan of the late 1st/ mid 2nd round RBs
hey MOP, you doing the weekly start/sit RB thread again this year?

Gore is an inj risk at this point IMO.

Not a big fan of SJax who has 2 down years in a row.

Forte no OL to run behind

Best has no partner to lighten the load

McFadden also no OL as of this moment.

Not a fan of the late 1st/ mid 2nd round RBs
SjaxRB8 in 2009

RB12 in 2010

Forte

RB9 in 2010 behind basically the same O-Line all they are missing is the overrated center if I recall

these numbers are PPR of course

I'm in a 10 team, ppr league and I pick 10th. It's standard scoring (1 pt. for 10 yds rushing/receiving, 1 pt. for 25 yds passing, all TD's 6 pts., etc.) We keep 1 player (keeping Peterson) and I'm trying to figure out what strategy I should use. QB's go quick in my league so believe or not, the top 6 QB's will probably be gone by the time it gets to me (I think 3 of them are being kept). Anyway, I see guys like L. Fitzgerald, M. Forte, S. Jackson, F. Gore, D. McFadden, H. Nicks, etc. all falling to me. We start 2 RB's, 2 WR's, and 1 Flex (WR/RB/TE).Should I go RB-RB? Anyone try this recently (getting 3 RB's in first 3 picks?I would normally mix in a WR in there to give me some draft flexibility later but these backs might be too good to pass up. Thoughts? Should I take someone like Fitz and see what backs fall to the 3rd, 4th, etc.? :popcorn:
In a 10 teamer with ppr, I don't know why you would want to go RB/RB with Peterson already on your roster. Honestly, I'd consider Fitz/Nicks there.

Gore is an inj risk at this point IMO.Not a big fan of SJax who has 2 down years in a row. Forte no OL to run behindBest has no partner to lighten the loadMcFadden also no OL as of this moment. Not a fan of the late 1st/ mid 2nd round RBs
Why is Gore an injury risk now? I thought in injury was a broken bone.

I've done 3 NFFC 12-team PPR drafts and I went RB-RB-WR in all 3

Rice-Mendenhall #6 pick

Charles-McFadden #4 pick

Charles-Steven Jackson #1 pick

I have 8th pick in 10 team ppr. I'm looking at adp's and value later on, seems like a lot more interesting wr's are available in the 3-6 range. The only problem is, I'm normally left without a legit wr1. A common team I've mock drafted looks along the lines of this:

1.8 McFadden/Mendenhall

2.3 Gore/Sjax/Forte/McFadden (sometimes when I start mendenhall, dmc he slides here, I mean his adp is about 14 right now)

3.8 Austin/Bowe/Wayne. Desean Jackson is also there but I'm not a big fan of him.

4.3 Romo/best/felix

5.8 Marshall/Manningham/Harvin

6.3 Manningham/Collie/Harvin

I love those round 5-6 wr's. All of them can/should be top 15, or close to it. The later on rb's are steady (Fjax, lynch) but don't represent the upside of the wr's I named. I wouldn't want to go rb-rb-rb because then if a monster rb slides to you later in the draft, you basically have to ignore him b.c you are now stuck drafting only wr's.

Why is Gore an injury risk now? I thought in injury was a broken bone.
I simply am not a fan of most of the RBs end of 1st to mid/late 2nd, much prefer one of the top5 WRs, top3 QBs, like most of that better and then go after RBs later and I like the value in the middle single digit rounds.

I just watched the #1 pick in my 12 team serpentine draft go ray rice, and them mjd and shonne green at the turn.

Standard scoring, qb-rb-rb-wr-wr-flex-te-k-d

4 PT passing

There was a big wr run in the second and I was upside down drafting so I was part of it. I'd be very happy with his backs at the positions he got them although I'm still nervous about mjd. He was dead set on ray rice if he fell to him.

All in all I think rb rb rb is feasible if the right value falls.

He ended up with welker, Harvin, and Moore as receivers. If it were ppr he'd be set, but I think he's lacking some td production here. Schaub as qb. Can't remember te (Tony Gonzalez) i think.

I have 8th pick in 10 team ppr. I'm looking at adp's and value later on, seems like a lot more interesting wr's are available in the 3-6 range. The only problem is, I'm normally left without a legit wr1. A common team I've mock drafted looks along the lines of this:1.8 McFadden/Mendenhall2.3 Gore/Sjax/Forte/McFadden (sometimes when I start mendenhall, dmc he slides here, I mean his adp is about 14 right now)3.8 Austin/Bowe/Wayne. Desean Jackson is also there but I'm not a big fan of him.4.3 Romo/best/felix5.8 Marshall/Manningham/Harvin6.3 Manningham/Collie/HarvinI love those round 5-6 wr's. All of them can/should be top 15, or close to it. The later on rb's are steady (Fjax, lynch) but don't represent the upside of the wr's I named. I wouldn't want to go rb-rb-rb because then if a monster rb slides to you later in the draft, you basically have to ignore him b.c you are now stuck drafting only wr's.
wow that looks amazing to me. I'm #7 in an upcoming 10 team draft, but all td's are equal with additional bonus for length. We won't be anywhere near McFadden/Mendenhall in the first--I'll probably be choosing between one of the top tier RB's and Manning/Romo at that pick. What a difference scoring makes.

Only did it once this year and it worked out perfectly in my opinion, but i think it was situational.

12 Team, 1PPR, 1 point every 10 carries, All TDs 6 pts, 2 RB 2 WR 1 RB/WR

1.03 Ray Rice RB

2.10 Matt Forte RB

3.03 Steven Jackson RB

4.10 Wes Welker WR

5.03 Dallas Clark TE

6.10 Austin Collie WR

7.03 Anquan Boldin WR

8.10 Joe Flacco QB (same team combo)

9.03 Mario Manningham WR (hahaha)

10.10 Mathew Stafford QB

11.03 Mike Tolbert RB

12.10 Davone Bess WR

13.03 Rob Gronkowski TE

14.10 Thomas Jones RB

15.03 New England Def

16.10 Rob Bironas K

This year I think this option is viable given there is some real depth at WR falling to the 4th and 5th rounds like Brandon Lloyd, Welker and Steven Johnson maybe with a Santana Moss a couple of round later. I don't see a big separation between those guys and other wr you have to take two rounds earlier. I see a bigger separation between some the the bell-cow RB's you have in the first three rounds and the guys that are there later on. A team like McFadden, SJax, Best or Ingram with two of these later WR's looks real attractive. Especially in a PPR league.

I've done a bunch of mock and real drafts already. In the drafts I've done WRs are being taken much earlier than ADP info suggests. All of the rb-rb-rb success scenarios above involve WRs falling farther than they will in most real drafts.

I've done a bunch of mock and real drafts already. In the drafts I've done WRs are being taken much earlier than ADP info suggests. All of the rb-rb-rb success scenarios above involve WRs falling farther than they will in most real drafts.
Acutally the scenario outilined above with McFadden/SJax/Best/Lloyd/StevenJohn/Maybe Romo I have successfully done in multiple money leagues this year. Lloyd often falls to the 5th round.

The more I look at it, the more I don't like it. My WR's are going to be extremely weak. I think I'm better off grabbing at least one WR there.

I'm in a 10 team, ppr league and I pick 10th. It's standard scoring (1 pt. for 10 yds rushing/receiving, 1 pt. for 25 yds passing, all TD's 6 pts., etc.) We keep 1 player (keeping Peterson) and I'm trying to figure out what strategy I should use. QB's go quick in my league so believe or not, the top 6 QB's will probably be gone by the time it gets to me (I think 3 of them are being kept). Anyway, I see guys like L. Fitzgerald, M. Forte, S. Jackson, F. Gore, D. McFadden, H. Nicks, etc. all falling to me. We start 2 RB's, 2 WR's, and 1 Flex (WR/RB/TE).Should I go RB-RB? Anyone try this recently (getting 3 RB's in first 3 picks?I would normally mix in a WR in there to give me some draft flexibility later but these backs might be too good to pass up. Thoughts? Should I take someone like Fitz and see what backs fall to the 3rd, 4th, etc.? :popcorn:
In a 10 teamer with ppr, I don't know why you would want to go RB/RB with Peterson already on your roster. Honestly, I'd consider Fitz/Nicks there.
:goodposting:

Through 7 rounds

PPR 1-2-3-1 1 flex

1.02 Ray Rice

2.11 Peyton Hillis

3.02 Jahvid Best

4.11 Brandon Lloyd

5.02 Percy Harvin

6.11 Tony Romo

7.02 Santana Moss

I'm coming around to this strategy. I did a bunch of mocks and tried it in one of my $ leagues. 12 teams, .5 ppr, 1 flex, 2 wr, 2 rb. Ended up with

QB: Stafford, Freeman

RB: McCoy, Gore, SJax, Hightower, Sproles, Ringer

WR: Bowe, Marshall, Burleson, Bess, Jacoby Ford

TE: Jimmy Graham

If Ford doesn't come through I'm pretty rough at WR but I feel I'll be in a good position to trade an RB for a WR if I need to.

The more I look at it, the more I don't like it. My WR's are going to be extremely weak. I think I'm better off grabbing at least one WR there.
:yes:I think grabbing a stud wr with your second or third pick and then taking rb's with the other 3 of your first 4 picks is the far superior strategy this year, as compared to going rb-rb-rb. If you wait until round 4 to take your first wr, you're probably not going to end up with a true wr1. This strategy worked out well for me last night (12 team, start rb, wr, te, 3 flex). I actually went rb-wr-rb-rb-rb:1.09 Mendenhall2.04 AJ3.09 McFadden4.04 Felix Jones5.09 Hightower

This isn't totally related, but it will show you how 4 RBs early can hurt. I am in a Keep 3, 12 team league that is .5 PPR. We start 1 QB, 2 RBs, 3 WRs, 1 TE, but have a dual flex (no QBs). I kept Ray Rice, Foster and AJ. In the first, I grabbed Witten as TEs get 1 PPR, and he will be quite valuable. I then got Beanie Wells in the 2nd, hoping a WR would fall in the third. Hightower, Bush, Lynch and Daniel Thomas went in the 2nd and 3rd before me, and after Sid Rice and Boldin went right before my 3rd round pick I panicked a little. Not so much panic, but at the time (about 10 days ago) I was faced with Collie, Maclin or Colston as my WR2 and I just did not like the question marks surrounding those guys at the time (I really wanted Maclin, but that was just a day or so after he was cleared and I got nervous about him). I ended up getting Benson, the last "main" RB out there. So now my roster at this point is:

Rice

Foster

Wells

Benson

AJ

Witten

Very good (hey it doesn't hurt when you have 3 first round keepers), but I am going to feel pain when it comes to WRs.

In the 4th I got Steve Smith (Car) and had another pick in the 4th and planned on taking AJ Green (we can keep an extra rookie on top of the 3 keepers, so they go fast). I ended up getting sniped and picked Eli (6pts TD pass, only -2 INT)...Not a good pick at all. Evans and Plax went before my next pick (I got Mike Thomas). I finished with Andre Roberts, Simpson and Roy as my other WRs. Not a great bunch and I am screwed if AJ gets hurt. When I reflect on the draft, I find that I was so worried about reaching for WRs, I took other players and just watched those Wrs sail past me. Had I skipped on a 4th RB (and there isdebate, because I can start 4 RBs), I would have had Maclin, AJ, Steve Smith and Mike Thomas as my top 4 WRs, to go with Rice, Foster and Wells at RB and Witten at TE...I like that second team better.

12 team Yahooo....3rd pick Rice, Jones-Drew, DWill....ended up with

1. (3) Ray Rice (Bal - RB)

2. (22) Maurice Jones-Drew (Jac - RB)

3. (27) DeAngelo Williams (Car - RB)

4. (46) Dwayne Bowe (KC - WR)

5. (51) Ben Roethlisberger (Pit - QB)

6. (70) Ryan Mathews (SD - RB)

7. (75) Santonio Holmes (NYJ - WR)

8. (94) Mike Sims-Walker (StL - WR)

9. (99) Matt Cassel (KC - QB)

10. (118) Philadelphia (Phi - DEF)

11. (123) Kyle Orton (Den - QB)

12. (142) Aaron Hernandez (NE - TE)

13. (147) Michael Crabtree (SF - WR)

14. (166) Mike Williams (Sea - WR)

15. (171) Chris Cooley (Was - TE)

16. (190) Jacquizz Rodgers (Atl - RB)

17. (195) Dan Carpenter (Mia - K)

I was able to do this in my 14-team PPR draft on Sunday:

1.10 McFadden

2.05 Mendenhall

3.10 Forte

4.05 S. Holmes

5.10 Marshall

6.05 QB Ryan

7.10 TE Graham

I love the way it came out...

At the tail end of a 12 teamer, PPR league, pick #12.

M. Forte

D. McFadden

F. Jones

D. Bowe

B. Roethlisberger

B. Marshall

M. Stafford

B. Wells

R. Gronkowski

L. Moore

D. Amendola

M. Sims-Walker

K. Orton

Detroit - D

S. Janikowski

B. Gibson

W. Yeatman

I have never taken RB-RB-RB before but that's the way this years draft went for me. Good players just fell to me so I couldn't pass them up.

10 Team Standard league in our 21st year. I had 3rd over all and took

1st round-Ray Rice

2nd-LeSean McCoy

3rd-Frank Gore

4th-Mike Wallace

5th-Dwayne Bowe

6th- Peyton Manning

Also ended up with Maclin, Brandon Marshall, Reggie Bush, Dallas Clark, Percy Harvin

I think I did pretty well with RB-RB-RB

M. Forte

D. McFadden

F. Jones

D. Bowe

B. Roethlisberger

B. Marshall

M. Stafford

B. Wells

R. Gronkowski

L. Moore

D. Amendola

M. Sims-Walker

K. Orton

Detroit - D

S. Janikowski

B. Gibson

W. Yeatman
I've got to admit I have absolutely no idea who W. Yeatman is. :confused:

I'm loving the look of some of these RB heavy drafts. It seems like half of my league is trying to employ the upside down drafting method, which has lead to some nice RB value falling to me. In a recent 12 team non PPR draft from the 7 spot, I got:

1. Mendenhall

2. McFadden

3. Forte

4. Ingram

5. Lloyd

6. Santonio

7. B. Roeth

8. Santana Moss

9. Stafford

10. Jacoby Ford

11. Nate Burleson

According to the Draft Dominator, I got 4 of the top 15 overall players based on my league settings. This league starts 1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 W/R, and 1 TE. It seems risky to grab a guy in the 4th round who won't be starting week 1, but every year it seems like a team with stacked RBs rolls into the #1 seed of the playoffs. I've been thinking about this strategy for a while and I think my team is going to be a force. I'll work the wire to strengthen my WR and TE, but I doubt the competition for those players will be as desperate as it'll be for RBs. We have three teams with the following RB1s: Beanie Wells, Ryan Matthews, and Knowshon Moreno. They will be claiming RBs every week.

I'm loving the look of some of these RB heavy drafts. It seems like half of my league is trying to employ the upside down drafting method, which has lead to some nice RB value falling to me. In a recent 12 team non PPR draft from the 7 spot, I got:1. Mendenhall2. McFadden3. Forte4. Ingram5. Lloyd6. Santonio7. B. Roeth8. Santana Moss9. Stafford10. Jacoby Ford11. Nate BurlesonAccording to the Draft Dominator, I got 4 of the top 15 overall players based on my league settings. This league starts 1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 W/R, and 1 TE. It seems risky to grab a guy in the 4th round who won't be starting week 1, but every year it seems like a team with stacked RBs rolls into the #1 seed of the playoffs. I've been thinking about this strategy for a while and I think my team is going to be a force. I'll work the wire to strengthen my WR and TE, but I doubt the competition for those players will be as desperate as it'll be for RBs. We have three teams with the following RB1s: Beanie Wells, Ryan Matthews, and Knowshon Moreno. They will be claiming RBs every week.
That's a solid squad, IF it works out perfectly. I couldn't stomach having Lloyd as my #1 WR. Good chance if you wait until the 5th round you may end up with someone even worse as your #1 WR.

I don't normally go RB/RB, certainly not RB/RB/RB, but this might be a nice year to do it.

And it's not because of which RBs are tyhere. It's just that I really like a lot of those WRs late, and hate most of the RBs late.

It's real east to say, Oh, I like Nicks better than those guys. But that's not the question. Question is, Do you like Nicks and the RB you got in the 4th, or a top RB, and the WR you got in the 4th?

RB feels like it ain't that deep this year. Maybe it's just me. Lot of guys with a shot, but not a clear shot. 4 freaking RBs are gonna get drafted from the Pats, the guy that goes RB/RB/RB can take starting WRs while everyone else is holding their New England raffle tickets.

1.1: ADP

2:12: Peyton Hillis

3:1: Blount

I ended up with Dez Bryant, Julio Jones, Lee Evans, Jacoby Ford and the other Oakland WR that everyone is so hi on. Schaub as my QB, Green Bay DEF. Hernandez TE. I also have Helu and Tate.

There really wasn't any WR that was more appealing than adding Hillis and Blount at the turn. I always seem to be able to pick up a WR off the WW so I'll take my chances with this 3 headed monster at RB.

If you're in a non-ppr league that has to start 2RB, 2WR, AND a WR/RB flex then RB-RB-RB can work.
This is my league's format, 12 teams, I picked 11th and we use 3rd round reversal. McCoy fell to me at 1.11, then went McFadden at 2.02, and then Felix at 3.02. I'm VERY happy with how it turned out, I still got Romo at 4.11, Dez at 5.02, Steve Johnson at 6.11 and Harvin at 7.02.

I was prepared to go Santonio/Manningham with my 5/6 round picks if Lloyd wasn't there. You don't have to remind me that I'll need to get lucky to win. It doesn't matter what strategy you start with; you're in trouble if you're early picks don't pan out. The key point is this: using FBG projections, early RBs offer the highest VBD scores based on my very common league settings.

I'm not usually a heavy RB drafter early. Last year I started this draft with Rodgers, Roddy, Beanie, JStew, and Nicks. All of my early non-RB picks were home runs, but Beanie and JStew busted and I couldn't overcome my weak RB corp.

12 team PPR, IDP, Flex league

Went into the draft thinking Foster 1 and then Felix Jones and the best WR at the 2/3 turn. 6 QB and 7 WR went before my 2nd pick and Gore into my lap. Really like Jones this year so I grabbed him too. FYI, passed on Wayne and Wallace at the 2/3 turn. Not going to list all 30 rounds, next bunch of picks went like this:

1) A. Foster

2) F. Gore

3) F. Jones

4) M. Schaub (9th QB)

5) B. Wells (had a group of WR's that all went right before and he was e best RB left)

6) J. Tuck

7) J. Allen (We start 7 defenders, like to have 2 great DL, then I wait on D)

8) K. Britt

9) J. Witten

10) M. Manningham (NY draft with mostly Giant fans so surprised he fell this far)

M. Forte

D. McFadden

F. Jones

D. Bowe

B. Roethlisberger

B. Marshall

M. Stafford

B. Wells

R. Gronkowski

L. Moore

D. Amendola

M. Sims-Walker

K. Orton

Detroit - D

S. Janikowski

B. Gibson

W. Yeatman
I've got to admit I have absolutely no idea who W. Yeatman is. :confused:
Nor did I before a few minutes agohttp://insidelacrosse.com/news/2011/07/26/former-maryland-lacrosse-player-will-yeatman-agrees-deal-with-nfls-new-england

hypothetically isnt it all just about building the team that can score a ton of points every week anyhow? If a player falls to you and you can play him in the flex I say just grab him and play him and hope for the best at the other positions later. If you can get rb 10 in the 3rd round why reach for wr 14 in that round just to fill the wr position. If there is a flex and you can play 3 rbs and you take 3 rbs 1-2-3 you can piece together the rest of your team after round 3. Its all about scoring and grabbing the players most likely to do the most scoring at every round

Users who are viewing this thread