What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone know anything about Brooklyn? Moving there, neighborhoods, apa (1 Viewer)

Abraham

Footballguy
Good friend is moving to Brooklyn. Looking to help get him info about renting there. He is trying to be at $1500 or less for rent, with or without utilities.

Told him I would ask the smartest people on the internet. But then the people on that board didn't know anything so now I'm asking you guys.

Lived in Brooklyn for nearly a decade.

What is he looking for?

How old is he?

Family?

Where will he be commuting to?

Does he have any need (no walk up, doorman building, major subway line, nightlife etc.). There are not a lot of doorman buildings but there are some

Is he looking for more neighborhood of more of a city feel

I grew up im dyker heights. Its all asian now. Bensonhurst is all russian. Bay ridge is all arabic. Sheepshead bay all jewish. Williamsburg and park slope all hipster. Stay away from bushwick, flatbush, coney island, east new york, red hook...

What is he looking for?

How old is he?

Family?

Does he have any need (no walk up, doorman building, major subway line, nightlife etc.). There are not a lot of doorman buildings but there are some

No need to commute but near public transport is good.

City feel if possible.

Close to the Brooklyn bridge

What is he looking for?

How old is he?

Family?

City feel if possible.

sounds like another hipster is coming to brooklyn!

What is he looking for?

How old is he?

Family?

28No need to commute but near public transport is good.

City feel if possible.

Sounds like he's gonna need a roommate if he wants to spend under $1500.

What is he looking for?

How old is he?

Family?

28No need to commute but near public transport is good.

City feel if possible.

Sounds like he's gonna need a roommate if he wants to spend under $1500.
not necessarily. You can get a nice two bedroom apartment in a two family house in a very nice, quiet neighborhood like dyker heights for under $1500 but everyone wants the hipster lifestyle.

What is he looking for?

How old is he?

Family?

City feel if possible.

:goodposting:

Born and raised in Bensonhurst but my version of Brooklyn is most likely not what this guys looking for.

Are there any real hipsters left in Brooklyn? Seems like by now any real hipster would have moved on and left the city to the wannabe scenesters.

Big fan. Lived there for 5 or 6 years as a single man. Met my wife there.

Prospect heights is a great hood. If I were 28 and single today I would live in Williamsburg. So much life. So many restaurants and bars and so much to do. Park Slope is Ok but a little too family oriented.

Go to Williamsburg. The Bedford Ave stop is the epicenter of life but maybe way expensive for his budget. My wife lived the next subway stop into Brooklyn on the L train past Bedford. It was still a cool neighborhood and a little cheaper but a walk to the action

DUMBO area is awesome too much expensive. Tell him to look there, that's the only place I would look other than Williamsburg.

He's not a hipster. Just a good dude wanting to live in New York before he goes all Otis and settles down.

I live less than 10 blocks from the Brooklyn Bridge. No chance he finds anything around here in that price range. Maybe a 350 square foot basement closet that'll make him hate life, but even that is doubtful. He'll prob need a roommate to live in Williamsburg, Dumbo, or Brooklyn Heights in his price range, even then it'll be a small apt. A slightly further walk, but still near the neighborhood would be the "Columbia Street waterfront", further from Pier 6 and closer to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel (might be able to find something small over there) OR in "Vinegar Hill" near the housing projects. If he is looking the Brooklyn Bridge area at that price range, he should start in those areas. Feel free to ask some questions.

He's not a hipster. Just a good dude wanting to live in New York before he goes all Otis and settles down.
Amen, brother. Amen.

I made good use of that city as a single man. I made the most of my time. Which allowed me to comfortably settle down and enjoy my current life without any regret or longing. I wish your friend luck. May he sarge some hot, skinny Brooklyn chicks with the heat of a thousand suns.

Oats

Have lived in Brooklyn for over a decade now and I don't think he will find much near the bridge in that range. Think even the areas fantasycurse mentioned will be slim pickings unless he is ok with a roomate. One area I really like is Windsor Terrrace (right next to Prospect Park but much cheaper then Park Slope.

Redwes25 said:
Have lived in Brooklyn for over a decade now and I don't think he will find much near the bridge in that range. Think even the areas fantasycurse mentioned will be slim pickings unless he is ok with a roomate. One area I really like is Windsor Terrrace (right next to Prospect Park but much cheaper then Park Slope.
Windsor Terrace :yuck:

What does he do for living? How much will he be making?

I still can't fathom people spending $1500/month on a 400 square foot apartment.

What does he do for living? How much will he be making?

I still can't fathom people spending $1500/month on a 400 square foot apartment.
I know right??? Deals like that are impossible to find around here.

I lives in BayRidge for about a year. Commute to the midtown was an hour

Good restaurants, beautiful parks and running tracks around NY harbor. You could her something for $1500, but it's not hip

I was born in Carnarsie. Moved to burbs when I was in 5th grade

That is all, just wanted to share. Good luck to him

I lives in BayRidge for about a year. Commute to the midtown was an hour

Good restaurants, beautiful parks and running tracks around NY harbor. You could her something for $1500, but it's not hip
I'm a simple fool- this made me think of righetti as a lol-cat :giggle:

Redwes25 said:
Windsor Terrace :yuck:
Go back to the burbs, everywhere in Brooklyn is radically changing (and much more expensive) even in the few years since you lived here.

No way can he afford Dumbo or Williamsburg in that price range. He needs to think different pricing. Some other areas he should think about are Bed Stuy, Bushwick, Greenpoint and the Bay Ridge idea is a good one. Prime Brooklyn is more expensive then $1,500 a month.

I grew up in Ridgewood Queens, just a block off of the Bushwick border. That area is really starting to blow up. You can probably get a better price in more up-n-coming neighborhoods like that.

I grew up in Ridgewood Queens, just a block off of the Bushwick border. That area is really starting to blow up. You can probably get a better price in more up-n-coming neighborhoods like that.
quoted in a Parquet Courts song... doesn't get any more up and coming hipster than that.

quoted in a Parquet Courts song... doesn't get any more up and coming hipster than that.
:thumbup:

Lived there until I was 30. I live only one town over now. It was really going downhill for a while and I'm glad it's making a comeback.

Recent NY Times article

Why Brooklyn?

Serious question.
for 1500... roommate or no?

if yes, he can live in Manhattan. that's why I'm asking- why brooklyn?
My guess is he is thinking he works near Brooklyn Bridge (I am guessing on the BK side), so better to live in Brooklyn.

But Floppo is right, if he's willing to have a roomie, Manhattan is in play. If so, I would look to the Lower East Side. LES is an interesting place now, it's where all the hipsters in Williamsburg came from. It has since gotten less hip, but safer, and there's a lot of cool things there. Cool shops, a lot of affordable drinking and eating options, and upscale places as well. Lots of start-ups keep office space there, and Happy Hour is very active. Late night, I would say there is a sprinkling of hipster, but the majority of the crowd is 20-something white kids, that are cost-conscious. It's not cool or up and coming, but nothing in Manhattan is. If a 28 year old is looking to make a lady friend, without popping bottles, it's the best bet.

Williamsburg, Greenpoint, and Bushwick (no further than the Morgan stop in the L) are also all in play, in BK. They are all connected, and are in various states of hipster-ization or gentrification. Greenpoint and Bushwick are very much the way Williamsburg was 10 years ago. Coffee shops, funky bars and such popping up. Greenpoint is definitely still Polish, but is also definitely hipster. A major detriment to Greenpoint is the subway access. It's a hike to the L, and the G is not worth mentioning. Bushwick isn't 'there' yet, but it's close. I am in the nightlife industry, and we were looking at a spot right at the Morgan stop that's gonna be a huge...complex, for lack of a better term, with a live music venue, massive beer garden, nightclub, and at least two restaurants. If you're on the Morgan stop, you are in Williamsburg, circa 2002.

Williamsburg has blown up in the last few years. I left town for four years, and going back there blew my mind. There are a lot of hipsters still there, but there's also upscale joints, unpretentious restaurants by young chefs, and lots of affordable drinking options. A 28 year old dude, first year in NYC, is gonna love Williamsburg. As a neighborhood to hang out in, at this point, it's probably underrated.

I haven't read Fort Greene yet, but he should take a long look there. Has a lot of the nightlife options, and all trains wind up there. Great neighborhood to live in if you wanna explore the city, because you can get anywhere in Manhattan easily. Also works better for his work location than any other neighborhood.

I don't know much about Prospect Park, I bow to Otis on that one.

Quick word about hipsters: Being in a bar surrounded by them, you could do a lot worse. A LOT worse. I don't spend much time in them, because I am very much single, and I don't like the hipster girl look. But when you are in Williamsburg, at some bar/coffee shop/skate park, you are guaranteed two things: Cheap drinks, and no bros looking to take a swing at you. And usually pretty cool music (obviously subjective). You know who makes fun of hipsters? Recently graduated Frat boys in Murray Hill, wearing khakis, getting girls drunk enough to make a mistake, and screaming along to Bon Jovi at 2 a.m.

I make fun of hipsters as well, and get a little queasy when I am in a Williamsburg coffee shop, but here's a little secret for your friend: Almost everyone is awful. Wall Street guys at bottle service clubs, bros doing shots of Fireball at sports bars/nightclubs, basic bitc**s that can't put there phones down, and some pretentious waxed mustache on 20-year-old fixed-gear bicycle. They are just different kinds of awful.

Anyway, in general terms, I always recommend paying the extra bucks to live in a more convenient location. Getting a better or bigger apartment for less money, just a little further out of the way, is gonna wind up costing him more money. He's gonna be out, gonna have some drinks, it's cold, and he's not gonna wanna take a train, and a 10-15 minute walk to his place. He's gonna take a cab, and $30 cabs add up. Pay the extra hundo a month to live in LES or Williamsburg or Fort Greene, and who cares if it's small.

He's never gonna be at home anyway.

I think he's actually going to office from home but would like to have Coffee shops and/or co-working spaces available to break things up. Not sure why he wants to be near the bridge, it certainly isn't for work.

I think he's actually going to office from home but would like to have Coffee shops and/or co-working spaces available to break things up. Not sure why he wants to be near the bridge, it certainly isn't for work.
Well, that's weird.

shadyridr said:
Plenty of nice coffee shops, bars, restauranys in bay ridge
Also plenty of Grandmothers and guys named Tony. There is nothing interesting about Bay Ridge for a single guy looking to live the NYC life.

shadyridr said:
Also plenty of Grandmothers and guys named Tony. There is nothing interesting about Bay Ridge for a single guy looking to live the NYC life.
come on bro. Who doesnt like Salty Dog...But seriously much cheaper apartments and the hot spots in hipsterville are only a hop, skip, and jump away.

Last edited by a moderator:
shadyridr said:
much cheaper apartments and the hot spots in hipsterville are only a hop, skip, and jump away.
When you want to bring your score home and you tell her she has to go back to bay ridge, there in that moment, after she reacts, tell me if you wish you hadn't splurged just a little bit more on location.

Users who are viewing this thread