What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

APB to Tourists in Major Cities (1 Viewer)

I'd like to add that it's a lot easier, if you're going downstairs to a train platform, to wait until the sea of humanity who just got off a train comes up the stairs before you go down. Unless your train is coming right then there is no real reason to battle the crowd and make life difficult for everyone. Including yourself.

Once basic rule of thumb. Don't stand in the middle of things.

Also, in a crowded city and in crowded areas you can't just flail your arms about. You might hit someone.

CITY TRAIN COMMON SENSE

The seat next to you isn't for your bag. Your bag doesn't need a rest. Put it under your seat.

If you're an obese person and your buttocks take up a seat and a half. Try to abstain from sitting between 2 people. You smush your butt fat into them and make the ride very uncomfortable.

The pole is to hold onto. Not to lean against. If you lean against the pole people can't hold on to it. And that's what it's for.

If you are in front of the train doors and the doors open people will try and get on. If you don't move you have blocked half of the entrance to the train. Move a little into the train. Now the flow of human traffic flows in nicely.

Don't sit on stairs.

I don't care how much you think you're packing. Close your friggin legs when you're sitting between 2 people.

:stepsoffofsoapbox:

I'd like to add that it's a lot easier, if you're going downstairs to a train platform, to wait until the sea of humanity who just got off a train comes up the stairs before you go down. Unless your train is coming right then there is no real reason to battle the crowd and make life difficult for everyone. Including yourself. Once basic rule of thumb. Don't stand in the middle of things.Also, in a crowded city and in crowded areas you can't just flail your arms about. You might hit someone.CITY TRAIN COMMON SENSEThe seat next to you isn't for your bag. Your bag doesn't need a rest. Put it under your seat.If you're an obese person and your buttocks take up a seat and a half. Try to abstain from sitting between 2 people. You smush your butt fat into them and make the ride very uncomfortable.The pole is to hold onto. Not to lean against. If you lean against the pole people can't hold on to it. And that's what it's for.If you are in front of the train doors and the doors open people will try and get on. If you don't move you have blocked half of the entrance to the train. Move a little into the train. Now the flow of human traffic flows in nicely. Don't sit on stairs.I don't care how much you think you're packing. Close your friggin legs when you're sitting between 2 people. :stepsoffofsoapbox:
Some good ones here. Re: subway car entrance/exit, why not step aside and let that crowd of people get off the train first before you push your way through them into the car?

I'd like to add that it's a lot easier, if you're going downstairs to a train platform, to wait until the sea of humanity who just got off a train comes up the stairs before you go down. Unless your train is coming right then there is no real reason to battle the crowd and make life difficult for everyone. Including yourself. Once basic rule of thumb. Don't stand in the middle of things.Also, in a crowded city and in crowded areas you can't just flail your arms about. You might hit someone.CITY TRAIN COMMON SENSEThe seat next to you isn't for your bag. Your bag doesn't need a rest. Put it under your seat.If you're an obese person and your buttocks take up a seat and a half. Try to abstain from sitting between 2 people. You smush your butt fat into them and make the ride very uncomfortable.The pole is to hold onto. Not to lean against. If you lean against the pole people can't hold on to it. And that's what it's for.If you are in front of the train doors and the doors open people will try and get on. If you don't move you have blocked half of the entrance to the train. Move a little into the train. Now the flow of human traffic flows in nicely. Don't sit on stairs.I don't care how much you think you're packing. Close your friggin legs when you're sitting between 2 people. :stepsoffofsoapbox:
Some good ones here. Re: subway car entrance/exit, why not step aside and let that crowd of people get off the train first before you push your way through them into the car?
I love it when I'm clearly doing this (waiting) and the person behind me goes around me and into the train while knocking into people getting off.

I love it when I'm clearly doing this (waiting) and the person behind me goes around me and into the train while knocking into people getting off.
Happens like clockwork, yet amazes me every single time.

Seriously man, is that meeting really that important that the 3 extra seconds it takes you to circumnavigate a throng of tourists is gonna kill the deal, spoil your lunch, make you miss the phone call, make you wait an extra 3 seconds for a haircut? Lighten up Francis. Slow down and enjoy the ride.
:rant: As a transplant up here from a two-traffic-light town, I must admit that watching people vie for that crucial extra second in their daily routine is sometimes pathetic. Yes, the tourists and their sidewalk-hogging, can't-walk-in-a-straight-line ways are a bit annoying, but if you take a deep breath and think about the big picture, it's really nothing.
I can appreciate O's perspective.When I want to socialize, I'll go to a bar.Walking face forward, quickly, gaining every second you can while utterly ignoring every person around you is not nothing, it is part of a lifestyle.You can waste your day nodding at strangers as they pass and side-stepping tourists with enthusiasm. Yes - I know where Faneuil Hall is and No - I am not stopping to give you directions.

Seriously man, is that meeting really that important that the 3 extra seconds it takes you to circumnavigate a throng of tourists is gonna kill the deal, spoil your lunch, make you miss the phone call, make you wait an extra 3 seconds for a haircut? Lighten up Francis. Slow down and enjoy the ride.
:lmao: As a transplant up here from a two-traffic-light town, I must admit that watching people vie for that crucial extra second in their daily routine is sometimes pathetic. Yes, the tourists and their sidewalk-hogging, can't-walk-in-a-straight-line ways are a bit annoying, but if you take a deep breath and think about the big picture, it's really nothing.
I can appreciate O's perspective.When I want to socialize, I'll go to a bar.Walking face forward, quickly, gaining every second you can while utterly ignoring every person around you is not nothing, it is part of a lifestyle.You can waste your day nodding at strangers as they pass and side-stepping tourists with enthusiasm. Yes - I know where Faneuil Hall is and No - I am not stopping to give you directions.
Let's be fair here - I'm no animal. I have no problem assisting someone with directions (in fact, on many occasions when someone looks lost I will offer up assistance without being asked) or exchanging a smile or hello. I'm just asking for a little common courtesy and awareness of your surroundings is all.

:lmao: As a transplant up here from a two-traffic-light town, I must admit that watching people vie for that crucial extra second in their daily routine is sometimes pathetic. Yes, the tourists and their sidewalk-hogging, can't-walk-in-a-straight-line ways are a bit annoying, but if you take a deep breath and think about the big picture, it's really nothing.
(in fact, on many occasions when someone looks lost I will offer up assistance without being asked)
That is when you mug them. Face it, when outsiders vist NYC they are basically expecting it.

Another point here, folks.

When there are five or six of you walking down a sidewalk or corridor, you really don't need to walk five or six-wide, shoulder-to-shoulder. There are more efficient ways of doing this that don't involve blocking the entire pathway. In fact, tell you what, let's compromise here -- you can continue to walk at a snail's pace, so long as you give the rest of us at least a foot or two of space to walk around you. Deal?

Another point here, folks.When there are five or six of you walking down a sidewalk or corridor, you really don't need to walk five or six-wide, shoulder-to-shoulder. There are more efficient ways of doing this that don't involve blocking the entire pathway. In fact, tell you what, let's compromise here -- you can continue to walk at a snail's pace, so long as you give the rest of us at least a foot or two of space to walk around you. Deal?
This is almost as bad as trailing behind a slow-walking schmuck who can't walk in a straight line. The task of passing them can be blood-boiling.

Another point here, folks.When there are five or six of you walking down a sidewalk or corridor, you really don't need to walk five or six-wide, shoulder-to-shoulder. There are more efficient ways of doing this that don't involve blocking the entire pathway. In fact, tell you what, let's compromise here -- you can continue to walk at a snail's pace, so long as you give the rest of us at least a foot or two of space to walk around you. Deal?
This is almost as bad as trailing behind a slow-walking schmuck who can't walk in a straight line. The task of passing them can be blood-boiling.
Just bust right through them like you're playing a game of red roverIt'll give them a great NYC story to tell the rubes back home

I'd like to append a footnote regarding the "rickshaws" that cater to the above mentioned tourists. Unless I am waving for you to stop, please do not slow down and blow your whistle, NO I do not want a ride from you, I just want to cross the damn street once you get out of my way!

Here's another few;

You aren't different than the rest of us. You haven't figured out how to ride the train without holding onto or leaning onto something without losing balance. So I'd appreciate it if you stopped trying to impress us all and hold onto something rather than smashing into my newspaper ever few seconds.

I don't care how model-esque you are. If someone holds the door for you, you say thank you.

I always can see it. Train first timers. Mostly the elderly. Look, when the train starts moving it is initially going to jerk forward sending you tumbling backwards if you aren't ready. So either take a seat or hold onto something because the train is going to move.

The seats on the train aren't your family room couch. The circus is in town so this is fresh on my mind. Sometimes it seems like some families just rise up in the air during the middle of watching "Cops" and find themselves on a subway train. The kids are all over the seat putting their dirty shoes on passengers. Having to dole out food to everyone. Show some civility people.

If you've got a nice booty. Stop ruining it with the over-pull down of the back of your shirt. It's not a flattering look and you should be proud of it in the first place!

Nothing better than when you are walking on the right side of the sidewalk and you happen to put a should into a person walking the opposite direction who is in one of those 5 or 6 wide groups.

I'd like to append a footnote regarding the "rickshaws" that cater to the above mentioned tourists. Unless I am waving for you to stop, please do not slow down and blow your whistle, NO I do not want a ride from you, I just want to cross the damn street once you get out of my way!
Direct this to moops. He run a huge rickshaw business up in Minneapolis operated solely by the homeless. :nerd: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :moneybag:

I don't care how model-esque you are. If someone holds the door for you, you say thank you.
I always throw in a "You're welcome" after it's clear they're not going to say thank you.
Awfully passive-aggressive, aren't you? :confused:You know how in many places you have to go through two doors to get into a place (in order to keep the heat/cold out)? I'll hold the first door. If I don't get a thank you for it, then my move is to continue on through the second and let it slam right back at them.

This isn't just tourists...a lot of people do this in public places.If this bugs you, Otis, I suggest you never get married and have kids. If you do you'll eventually end up in places like Target and the mall. You'll eventually end up behind some family that is from some undetermined Third World nation like Lamont California that thinks they have to walk abreast like they're in some pointless parade celebrating obesity and overpopulation.You'll eventually end up like me and say something like "Heads up, coming through, make a hole, I gotta life to lead, vaya con dios, tierra del fuego, Chrysler Corboda!"

Here's another few;

You aren't different than the rest of us. You haven't figured out how to ride the train without holding onto or leaning onto something without losing balance. So I'd appreciate it if you stopped trying to impress us all and hold onto something rather than smashing into my newspaper ever few seconds.

I always can see it. Train first timers. Mostly the elderly. Look, when the train starts moving it is initially going to jerk forward sending you tumbling backwards if you aren't ready. So either take a seat or hold onto something because the train is going to move.

The seats on the train aren't your family room couch. The circus is in town so this is fresh on my mind. Sometimes it seems like some families just rise up in the air during the middle of watching "Cops" and find themselves on a subway train. The kids are all over the seat putting their dirty shoes on passengers. Having to dole out food to everyone. Show some civility people.

If you've got a nice booty. Stop ruining it with the over-pull down of the back of your shirt. It's not a flattering look and you should be proud of it in the first place!
This is awesome. I'm trying to figure out if I still can be considered a good person for not letting these people know what lies ahead of them.

It's too awesome to tell them.

One more trainism:

If you don't want to be outed as a total loser, make sure you have that lame ringtone turned to vibrate. And no, having your "PUT ON A CONDOM" ringtone at 200 decibels isn't funny or cool. There's no quicker way to embarrass yourself than to have your "quirky" ringtone annoying everyone on the train.

Also, if you are 90 years old and know that you walk at a tenth of the speed as the average person, please do not get up halfway to your stop so that you can insure that you're the first one off of the train. Forcing everyone to get stacked up behind you while they wait for you to shuffle out of the train, up/down steps, and through turnstiles is just plain mean. If you're the slowest person on the train, just get off the train last.

krista4 said:
chet said:
Cunk said:
I always throw in a "You're welcome" after it's clear they're not going to say thank you.
Awfully passive-aggressive, aren't you? :thumbup:You know how in many places you have to go through two doors to get into a place (in order to keep the heat/cold out)? I'll hold the first door. If I don't get a thank you for it, then my move is to continue on through the second and let it slam right back at them.
Joe B is my alias. :blackdot:The other one that irks me is when you have to pull the door toward you, and as you're opening it, someone goes through and thus makes you wait, and also makes you their unwitting doorman. Very occasionally, I will feign pushing the door back toward them just to get a reaction. That move, however, seems a lot ruder than their transgression.

krista4 said:
chet said:
Cunk said:
Awfully passive-aggressive, aren't you? :popcorn:You know how in many places you have to go through two doors to get into a place (in order to keep the heat/cold out)? I'll hold the first door. If I don't get a thank you for it, then my move is to continue on through the second and let it slam right back at them.
Joe B is my alias. ;)The other one that irks me is when you have to pull the door toward you, and as you're opening it, someone goes through and thus makes you wait, and also makes you their unwitting doorman. Very occasionally, I will feign pushing the door back toward them just to get a reaction. That move, however, seems a lot ruder than their transgression.
Just pretend like you're getting a call, let go of the door so it slams into them, and turn your back. Then say into the phone, "Oh hey, yeah no big deal. Just waiting on some fattie to clear the doorway."Much less rude.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you MBTA! (Boston subway)

About time!
Albert Elia, 34, is blind and uses a guide dog named Zion. Does that afford him extra courtesy? About 30 percent of the time, no one offers him a seat on his Blue Line commute, he said. He also said that if he is polite, and allows others to board before him, the doors shut and he misses the train.
unreal.

Thank you MBTA! (Boston subway)

About time!
Albert Elia, 34, is blind and uses a guide dog named Zion. Does that afford him extra courtesy? About 30 percent of the time, no one offers him a seat on his Blue Line commute, he said. He also said that if he is polite, and allows others to board before him, the doors shut and he misses the train.
unreal.
I have to say that no matter how rude I think some people are on the subway, in my 10 years of taking the T into Boston I have never seen a blind, pregnant or handicapped person not be offered a seat right away. I think Albert Elia is exaggerating a bit here.

Hi Otis -

Heads up, the wife and I are visiting NYC in December. Planning to stop in the middle of the sidewalk, block doorways and hallways, mill about like confused sea lions, and act like jackasses on the subway.

We'll look for you.

Hi Otis - Heads up, the wife and I are visiting NYC in December. Planning to stop in the middle of the sidewalk, block doorways and hallways, mill about like confused sea lions, and act like jackasses on the subway.We'll look for you.
Make sure you have a foam statue of liberty crown on and an "I heart NY" t-shirt.

Frostillicus said:
Hi Otis - Heads up, the wife and I are visiting NYC in December. Planning to stop in the middle of the sidewalk, block doorways and hallways, mill about like confused sea lions, and act like jackasses on the subway.We'll look for you.
:goodposting:

Big fat merry bump for the holiday season. You people have to be kidding me.
I avoid the City like the plague during this month. Its pure freakin' madness. Now its even worse... people who can afford to get here can't afford to DO anything, so its just more milling and window shopping aka getting in my ####### way.If I didnt have to pick up, well, packages... every couple weeks, I'd write off the City until the new year.

Big fat merry bump for the holiday season. You people have to be kidding me.
I avoid the City like the plague during this month. Its pure freakin' madness. Now its even worse... people who can afford to get here can't afford to DO anything, so its just more milling and window shopping aka getting in my ####### way.If I didnt have to pick up, well, packages... every couple weeks, I'd write off the City until the new year.
The entrance to my building is footsteps from the tree. I'm at ground zero. :ownfacepunch:

Tourists/old Chinese women - let the passengers off the train first. If you don't, you're liable to get a shoulder dropped on you courtesy of an agitated local like myself.

As for the original poster, sounds like you wouldn't do so well in Chinatown. I recently moved there from the friendly confines of Tribeca. Navigating down Grand during a busy day is much more problematic than anything I experienced when I worked in midtown. Instead of stopping to look at maps, it's stopping on a dime to check out some vegetable I've never seen in my life while I'm trying to get to work and avoid the puddles of fish water conveniently thrown on the sidewalk.

:goodposting: Part of the price you pay for living there. Don't like it, go someplace tourists don't like to go...
Wisconsin?

Users who are viewing this thread