What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are we sleeping on McFadden? (1 Viewer)

Banger

Footballguy
As I'm looking to target mid/late round guys I keep coming back to McFadden. He's a heck of a RB when healthy and all reports are he's healthy. He's got tremendous talent and I think they are going to need help moving the ball and I just don't think MJD has the burst he did years past. What's McFadden going in the 9th round? If things break right he has the talent to be a top RB at a huge discount.

Chances are he won't hit those heights but as a RB4 he could be an absolute steal. What am I missing?

Things are pointing to MJD starting. Certainly MJD is an injury risk too but I think you have to overpay due to name recognition for a backup.

Based on news out of camp and on what we've seen in the preseason, McFadden looks to be the change of pace guy with a tendency towards playing the hot hand. Which means if McFadden runs well, then he gets to keep running, and we've already seen that the Raiders will run when they get to the red zone.

I think he's interesting for the "no RB" strat guy. If you're using your first 5 picks on non-RBs and looking to piece together 4-5 RBs who can all rotate in a committee, I think McFadden seems fine. The sort of guy you can play in good matchups and drop when he gets hurt.

McFadden is younger and the more dynamic back. This will be an RBBC, and if DMac stays healthy (a big IF, of course), I don't see why he won't be as effective. I see MJD and McFadden having similar numbers down the stretch, and I would be inclined to roll the dice with him over other guys in his tier like Ingram or een Bernard Pierce.

I would not, however, expect him to perform like an RB1 for your team.

Yes maybe this will finally be the year for McFadden. But I wouldn't count on it. If you want a cheap, injury prone RB, JStew probably offers similar odds at a much better price.

Yes maybe this will finally be the year for McFadden. But I wouldn't count on it. If you want a cheap, injury prone RB, JStew probably offers similar odds at a much better price.
but isnt tolbert still the vulture in carolina? Mcfadden got some gl carries in the last preseason game

I also like Stewart a couple rounds later. I don't know I just don have the injury bias that some do. If you're paying a 3rd, 4th, 7th round pick maybe but these guys are going much later. I think everyone this year before you draft should go back and look at prior years drafts. At least I was amazed at some of the misses on up and coming guys. It's worth taking a swing at some of these guys. If they are the same old guys after 3-4 weeks you cut him for the waiver wire of the week.

MJD is a determined guy, going back home, and not as fragile as McFadden. Hard for me to see DMac getting enough action to warrant starting. Sure, he'll bust one once in awhile with his 8-10 carries, but it will be on the day you don't have him in the lineup.

Of course this is coming from a bitter former McFadden owner.

What do you draft DMC in hope of? If MJD remains healthy DMC likely won't carry enough value to flex. If MJD goes down DMC would likely follow suit after a couple of heavy workloads. I'd rather just take a flier on someone I'd be more confident in handling a large workload if he were to ever find himself in a starting position.

As I'm looking to target mid/late round guys I keep coming back to McFadden. He's a heck of a RB when healthy and all reports are he's healthy. He's got tremendous talent and I think they are going to need help moving the ball and I just don't think MJD has the burst he did years past. What's McFadden going in the 9th round? If things break right he has the talent to be a top RB at a huge discount.

Chances are he won't hit those heights but as a RB4 he could be an absolute steal. What am I missing?
In a PPR league I think McFadden is worth a shot for sure. He catches the ball well and is dangerous in the open. I would be leery in a non PPR league though. Reece went down with an injury and is getting an MRI done. If it's serious I would expect to see a nice bump for MJD and DMC in receptions out of the backfield. Keep an eye on the Reece news.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, DMC. I have fond memories of him dragging me to a pile of championships in 2010. For me, his running ability, especially behind that offensive line, is a bigger concern than his health. Last year I avoided him because the Raiders had hardly anyone who could be considered an average NFL lineman once Veldheer was injured. Now Veldheer's making bank in Arizona, and the offensive line really doesn't seem much better. DMC went for 3.3 YPC in Greg Knapp's awful zone running scheme in 2012...and 3.3 YPC in Greg Olson's attempt at returning to the power scheme.

In the 9th/10th, I think I'd rather take a shot on Andre Williams or Mark Ingram.

I was looking forward to him joining a new team this year for some time. Dallas with Linehan and Murray would have been great. Maybe Detroit with Lombardi, Bush and Bell. - Even if healthy that's a dead end offense in Oak.

Sleeping on him no but at where he is being drafted , RB4/5 hes a bargain sure. The issue is he cant last long. The saving grace is maybe with him not getting as many touches he can atleast make half the season and yoiu get a nice Danny Woodhead / Darren Sproles type player and if he last the whole season or atleast 12 games you get a steal. I have no issue drafting him after round 11 as my Rb4/5 .

I was looking forward to him joining a new team this year for some time. Dallas with Linehan and Murray would have been great. Maybe Detroit with Lombardi, Bush and Bell. - Even if healthy that's a dead end offense in Oak.
I don't see where it'll be any worse than last year's version. And that one finished with 2000 rushing yards and 16 TD's. 12th and 7th in the NFL, respectively. There's potential value to be had somewhere in the OAK running game, just as there was with Jennings last year. :shrug:

My buck is on it lying with MJD though.

McFadden is younger and the more dynamic back. This will be an RBBC, and if DMac stays healthy (a big IF, of course), I don't see why he won't be as effective. I see MJD and McFadden having similar numbers down the stretch, and I would be inclined to roll the dice with him over other guys in his tier like Ingram or een Bernard Pierce.

I would not, however, expect him to perform like an RB1 for your team.
If by "dynamic" you mean terrible, then I agree.

Based on news out of camp and on what we've seen in the preseason, McFadden looks to be the change of pace guy with a tendency towards playing the hot hand. Which means if McFadden runs well, then he gets to keep running, and we've already seen that the Raiders will run when they get to the red zone.

I think he's interesting for the "no RB" strat guy. If you're using your first 5 picks on non-RBs and looking to piece together 4-5 RBs who can all rotate in a committee, I think McFadden seems fine. The sort of guy you can play in good matchups and drop when he gets hurt.
Good post.

I ve been drafting him in the 8th round in mocks that are setup to my league scoring rules and If I want him , that's where I would need to grab him because I'm going a whole lot of non RB early.

Good post.

I ve been drafting him in the 8th round in mocks that are setup to my league scoring rules and If I want him , that's where I would need to grab him because I'm going a whole lot of non RB early.
and this is the boat and strategy I'm going with. My feel is that they are going to try and run the ball and they've done it successfully on bad teams in the past. I think McFadden has more juice than MJD and while MJD will get some carries if he's running 10 carries for 39 yards and McFadden is breaking plays like he's done in the past he's a very low risk gamble with decent upside if things break right. McFadden is also a very good receiver and I'm sure they'll look to get the ball into his hands especially if he's the only real playmaker on the offense. His problem has been injuries, not talent...I know he's burned a ton of people over the past few years and they want no part of him but you aren't spending a 1st or 2nd round pick on him like you were then. The risk is built into the price.

Certainly not a sure thing but as a RB4/5 he has great upside IMO.

Wow, people really love low hanging fruit, don't they? I enjoy some good snarky humor, but these attempts at snark and/or humor are just pathetic.

Personally, I would be much more intrigued by DMC if not for two fears:

1) The offensive line will be much worse this season

2) Schaub is done as an effective QB

At least one of those two things is likely and very possibly both. So while DMC is younger and has lower mileage than MJD, I don't think that picking the most talented RB on this team will yield good rewards.

Not going near the Raider's backfield this year. Its like the older version of Carolina's backfield

Got him at pick #125 last night for my rb5 in a ppr. At that point why wouldn't you? Easy drop if he's still a bum. (Which I'm sure he will be). And Mjd went pick #81

Not going near the Raider's backfield this year. Its like the older version of Carolina's backfield
...if Matt Schaub were a threat to run in double digit touchdowns.

If Cam didn't have legs, Williams and Stewart would be fantasy darlings.

McFadden is basically a walking checklist of FF red flags at this point. Injury risk? Check. Competition / probable timeshare? Check. Looked crappy last year (and in 2012)? Check. Offensive line questions? Check. Bad offense? Check.

Obviously, as a 9th round RB4 he won't kill you even if he totally craps the bed, but the deck seems stacked against him. I wouldn't mind taking a cheap flyer in dynasty on the chance that he leaves Oakland after this year, but I'll be passing in redraft.

Wow, people really love low hanging fruit, don't they? I enjoy some good snarky humor, but these attempts at snark and/or humor are just pathetic.

At least one of those two things is likely and very possibly both. So while DMC is younger and has lower mileage than MJD, I don't think that picking the most talented RB on this team will yield good rewards.
actually that's why I like McFadden over MJD to take the job and be more productive. I think his talent and ability to break plays will be more valuable than 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

Banger said:
FF Ninja said:

actually that's why I like McFadden over MJD to take the job and be more productive. I think his talent and ability to break plays will be more valuable than 3 yards and a cloud of dust.
McFadden has broken ONE play longer than 20 yards since 2011. ONE. If he's got a large opening, he can still run past people. That's pretty much it. MJD, while not what he was earlier in his career either, had two last year.

I loathe dmc. Surprised there are people still willing to put him on their teams. Mjd looks to be a decent rb3 this year

MJD looks more spry to me than he did the last couple years. He shed some weight this offseason and it shows.

DMC does look faster though. I predict a near 50/50 split, unless (until) McFadden goes down. But even then, Latavius Murray may just come in and take on the same role.

Schaub looks awful and Carr like a rookie. Seems like no matter what, you're looking at an RBBC in a bottom 5-10 offense.

People are sleeping on him big time. I got him in the fifteen round of a 12 team dynasty startup recently. His value has fallen, but it shouldn't be that low.

I took a flyer on MJD and DMC as my RB4 & RB5, but for those of you who are clinging to hope that DMC could be anything more than bye week fill at best for this year, his contract is very telling what the NFL thinks of him. I feel like there were enough teams out there who could have used a back of his potential, but no one bit. Check the actual DMC thread for more on this, I think he signed for something like 1.5 Mil + 2.5 Mil in incentives for one year. That sounds lower than most backup RB's out there, though I am not sure of this as a fact.

Keep in mind, his former college teammate and fellow 1st round draft pick, Felix Jones, is already out of the league. Even though both would only be 27 to start the season, this isn't 2008 anymore and he's not the same RB that ran a 4.27 at the combine. He also plays on one of the bottom 3 teams in the NFL.

I snagged DMAC in a dynasty auction for like 2 bucks..........If he can stay healthy and get a decent amount of touches per game, he could be a nice value and good flex play. Dude can take it the house from anywhere on the field. He's a first round pick.......MJD has a ton of mileage.........DMAC will get his opps...........the big question is, as always, can he stay healthy?

Surprised to see zero discussion on these boards with mjd this next week as a strong possibility.

I actually dropped him yesterday not knowing about the injury to mjd. Never saw much reported on it.

I'd rather have Latavius Murray, for upside, unless you need a starter this week, Mcfadden is your guy. So many people have been burned by him, maybe he'll stay healthy this time?

Health is always the biggest issue with McFadden. I didn't watch the game (so maybe someone else can enlighten us on how he really looked) but the stats say he ran better than MJD:

McFadden

4 carries for 15 yards

1 catch for 6 yards

MJD:

9 carries for 11 yards

2 catches for 12 yards

It's worth noting that MJD's longest carry was 12 yards, meaning on the other 8 carries he netted -1 yards. That's pretty ugly, but again I didn't see the game so it's tough to gauge without knowing what happened.

Health is always the biggest issue with McFadden. I didn't watch the game (so maybe someone else can enlighten us on how he really looked) but the stats say he ran better than MJD:

McFadden

4 carries for 15 yards

1 catch for 6 yards

MJD:

9 carries for 11 yards

2 catches for 12 yards

It's worth noting that MJD's longest carry was 12 yards, meaning on the other 8 carries he netted -1 yards. That's pretty ugly, but again I didn't see the game so it's tough to gauge without knowing what happened.
mjd also had one run for -11. So theres that

Too small of a sample size to draw any conclusions. MJD seems to be the clear starter if healthy right now. Does anyone know if this is the same injury MJD suffered in the preseason? I like McFadden if he gets enough touches but I believe that MJD continues to see most of the work early in the season if healthy.

Too small of a sample size to draw any conclusions. MJD seems to be the clear starter if healthy right now. Does anyone know if this is the same injury MJD suffered in the preseason? I like McFadden if he gets enough touches but I believe that MJD continues to see most of the work early in the season if healthy.
by Michael Hurcomb | CBSSports.com

(20 hrs ago) Raiders coach Dennis Allen confirmed the earlier report that running back Maurice Jones-Drew is dealing with a hand injury.

Allen didn't specify Jones-Drew's status for Week 2 against the Texans, but he said it was a different hand injury from the one Jones-Drew dealt with in training camp. Jones-Drew is considered day to day.
Also, Houston will be without Clowney. DMAC without MJD on the field or vice versa seems like a decent flyer.

Gvindy said:
I'd rather have Latavius Murray, for upside, unless you need a starter this week, Mcfadden is your guy. So many people have been burned by him, maybe he'll stay healthy this time?
This. Murray shows a lot of promise and I'm stashing him with this news.

If MJD is out, I wouldn't be surprised to see Murray outperform DMC. A few off tackle DMC runs, where he attempts to cut back, and his legs fly out from underneth him like a deer on ice, and Murray might get the call. DMC could break a long one on a reception, maybe.

I'm going more off memory than anything but it seems to me that McFadden has almost always been very effective when playing, his issue has been staying healthy. If MJD is out and McFadden is healthy I would expect him to play well.

I'm going more off memory than anything but it seems to me that McFadden has almost always been very effective when playing, his issue has been staying healthy.
This is what I've always thought too. I've never owned him but he fell so far in one of my drafts I took him. I may never start him but IF he stays healthy and starts having some nice scoring weeks maybe I will.

I'm going more off memory than anything but it seems to me that McFadden has almost always been very effective when playing, his issue has been staying healthy.
This is what I've always thought too. I've never owned him but he fell so far in one of my drafts I took him. I may never start him but IF he stays healthy and starts having some nice scoring weeks maybe I will.
This is exactly right--think I've had him 3 of the past 4 years--maybe all four--and sure was not going to pick him up this season. We've got limited rosters and even though I could keep him on IR it still means that I would miss out on another good prospect when available during the draft. On the other hand, if you've got the bench space he's worth playing when he's on the field.

He struggled mightily when OAK switched to the ZBS that one year. He was averaging sub 4YPC before getting injured if memory serves me correctly. He hasn't always produced when healthy.

He struggled mightily when OAK switched to the ZBS that one year. He was averaging sub 4YPC before getting injured if memory serves me correctly. He hasn't always produced when healthy.
What do they run today, power?

Users who are viewing this thread