What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Asiata vs. McKinnon (1 Viewer)

asiata hasnt been in since his bad holding penalty. guessing hes done for the night. brutal game for him with the fumble and hold. wonder if he loses even more time to mckinnon. rough backfield to own right now.
Asiata is the starter. That is why he is sitting in a 30+ game.
asiata hasnt been in since his bad holding penalty. guessing hes done for the night. brutal game for him with the fumble and hold. wonder if he loses even more time to mckinnon. rough backfield to own right now.
Nah, right now looks like what someone else said, that the Vikes are just saving him. They are prob trying to get McKinnon some heavy play time tonight.
ExactlySame reason he sat the last series vs Falcons and people here took is as an omen that McKinnon was surpassing him :lmao:

Gotta love the shark pool
:yawn:

Asiata is the starter. That is why he is sitting in a 30+ game.
Nah, right now looks like what someone else said, that the Vikes are just saving him. They are prob trying to get McKinnon some heavy play time tonight.
ExactlySame reason he sat the last series vs Falcons and people here took is as an omen that McKinnon was surpassing him :lmao:

Gotta love the shark pool
:yawn:
:lmao:

He's there to block and save the team from a dumb injury in garbage time. Since McKinnon blocks like my grandmother, how can you not see this?

I do think McKinnon will take over. It won't be before the bye though. Asiata is a placeholder. He has value until then. He just doesn't have the talent to keep the job beyond the point where the season is lost for the Vikings.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's there to block and save the team from a dumb injury in garbage time. Since McKinnon blocks like my grandmother, how can you not see this?
I knew that would be the response. Shifting the goalposts like Tim. :lmao:

I love the FFA guys sometimes.

Annnnnnd...there's McKinnon.

I have no dog in this fight and hope it's all in good fun.

Interesting. If there was any sense of making this a split, you'd think McKinnon would run between the 20s and Asiata would come in red zone. But it's backwards and there's Banyiard.

I knew that would be the response. Shifting the goalposts like Tim. :lmao:

I love the FFA guys sometimes.

Annnnnnd...there's McKinnon.

I have no dog in this fight and hope it's all in good fun.
:shrug: It's true.
I agree with you. That's exactly what I thought. It's just funny.

And...Banyard.

Definitely looks like the staff making a concerted effort to keep McKinnon healthy here in the blowout with Asiata and Banyard out there.

McKinnon looked terrific on that 10 yard run against the prevent. And equally great in pass pro tonight. I'm sure the staff will take note.

Mods...

since Banyard played the last series in this blowout game, please change the thread title to Asiata v McKinnon v Banyard

Why does it always have to be one player against another? Asiata is the starter now while they groom McKinnon. Asiata is a decent RB.

McKinnon has rare raw ability & has a much higher upside. He'll eventually be their feature back, but needs experience. It may happen this season, maybe not. Next season is a good bet, though.

Let's embrace both players for what they are.

Definitely looks like the staff making a concerted effort to keep McKinnon healthy here in the blowout with Asiata and Banyard out there.

McKinnon looked terrific on that 10 yard run against the prevent. And equally great in pass pro tonight. I'm sure the staff will take note.
All 3 played the last series. When's the last time you hit up the eye doctor, Mr Magoo?

Really? McKinnon was out there most of the 4th and Asiata was rested. Honestly, to say either looked good is a lot. They did what they could, but both didn't separate from the other, IMO.

Think we still need more time to see if coaches don't keep it as a 2:1 split.

I should have known not to start McKinnon on the road on Thursday with an ankle issue and no practice. Why was he in on the last drive though, and then pulled for Baynard? He made some good blocks and I was hoping for a garbage td. Then he's out.

I should have known not to start McKinnon on the road on Thursday with an ankle issue and no practice. Why was he in on the last drive though, and then pulled for Baynard? He made some good blocks and I was hoping for a garbage td. Then he's out.
He's the back up RB.

Ranked slightly below Knile Davis going forward.

Did you have no other options?

Don't know. But Ponder had 44 passing attempts, which even in a blow out, seems like a lot to put in your back-up's back up QB. The RB weren't gonna claw themselves back, but hell take that time to answer all our questions and see what both got when you work them to the bones.

I saw at least three dropped passes from Asiata so he catches like your grandmother
And the lost fumble...bring on some more McKinnon....
So he carries the rock as good as Bender's grandmother and his 3.38 yards per carry is slightly below grandmother's 3.55

He was not on the road and I think he did practice this week.

Depending on your level of desperation he made sense this week. He came into tonight averaging over 4 targets a game since week 2 and coming off by far his most productive game where he netted 19 touches and playing a defense that struggled to stop the run.

Now all that being said I did not come into this game thinking he passed Asiata and the secondary RB in a Ponder led offense is not very attractive. Best hope I had for him was breaking a long run or being heavily involved in the passing game. As is the pass catching helped a little and in the absence of a big gainer or TD he did about what I expected.

I started him a league but I was very desperate. It was him or Darren Reaves. Obviously I wish I'd rolled the dice with Reaves but that's the kind of RB that he's in the discussion with regarding starting, in other words he should not have been in your lineup unless you are desperate and that's the case for the rest of the season until or if he gets a consistently bigger role.

I dunno if Peppers is just crazy fast, but he pulled away from McKinnon on that INT like it wuhn't no thang... Either that or Jerick wanted no part in tackling that beast.

Still don't think the dust has settled on if there is a clear-cut workhorse yet. Coaches tried to put game in Ponders hands instead of handing it off to the RBs and trying trick plays to CPatt. Asiata had more carries tonight and better avg, but a fumble. McKinnon showed speed, but couldn't do much outside of a single 10 yard gain.

Asiata's job till season is over..maybe next year they grab Mark Ingram, isn't he set to become a F/a?

or most likely draft a RB

good night from Asiata, 4.8 per carry is decent,as is 72 yards..I can't complain.

Haven't been able to rewatch the sacks, but NFL.com has the two INTs and McKinnon goofed on making the tackle in both. Of course, the INTs are ultimately Ponders fault. In the Pick-6 play Peppers outruns McKinnon and in the second INT the pass is behind McKinnon (so not his fault) yet he wasn't able to make the tackle to stop any yardage returned.

Asiata's fumble was clear and the flag was costly when they were in red zone.

Gotta see the replay to see who was in for the multiplie sacks.

During the post-game interview on NFL.com, Zimmer says pass pro was troubling and "guys in the running game getting out of their spots ... Was frustrating." Not sure what he means on that second part, whether it was blockers or the runners.

EDIT: If you're curious to see how the two backs did on plays Ponder threw picks and was sacked: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2014100200/2014/REG5/vikings@packers#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap3000000404592&tab=recap

In case you don't know, Asiata is #44 and McKinnon is #31

Haven't been able to rewatch the sacks, but NFL.com has the two INTs and McKinnon goofed on making the tackle in both. Of course, the INTs are ultimately Ponders fault. In the Pick-6 play Peppers outruns McKinnon and in the second INT the pass is behind McKinnon (so not his fault) yet he wasn't able to make the tackle to stop any yardage returned.

Asiata's fumble was clear and the flag was costly when they were in red zone.

Gotta see the replay to see who was in for the multiplie sacks.
I'm sure RBs being able to tackle after turnovers is something the Vikings are stressing in practice. I mean, they have no other issues right now.

During the post-game interview on NFL.com, Zimmer says pass pro was troubling and "guys in the running game getting out of their spots ... Was frustrating." Not sure what he means on that second part, whether it was blockers or the runners.

EDIT: If you're curious to see how the two backs did on plays Ponder threw picks and was sacked: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2014100200/2014/REG5/vikings@packers#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap3000000404592&tab=recap

In case you don't know, Asiata is #44 and McKinnon is #31
I have to say this, though. Both times Ponder was picked the RB released into a route right from the snap.

But on the first two sacks from the highlights you linked to, McKinnon looked lost.

I'm still preferring Asiata for his usage. Get someone other than Ponder in there and there aren't 2 linebackers spying him on screens. 15 carries + 2-4 catches a game.

Some guys in here seem really invested in Asiata. If you are relying on this guy, it means you messed up somewhere in the draft. I hope no one is relying on this "starting RB."

:bag: Yes, I messed up in a draft and he is my starter, but I am not proud of it and I do not think he is good at all.

Some guys in here seem really invested in Asiata. If you are relying on this guy, it means you messed up somewhere in the draft. I hope no one is relying on this "starting RB."
I wouldn't be in this thread if I wasn't invested in him (drafted AP). :bye: But the Asiata vs McKinnon debate is one of the few things still being debated. We all know Donnell looks great, Kelce is beastly, Sankey is gonna do great etc etc.

So we need something to still watch and debate about. :lol:

:bag: Yes, I messed up in a draft and he is my starter, but I am not proud of it and I do not think he is good at all.
The whole Asiata vs. McKinnon debate boils down to people desperate for re-assurance that McKinnon will somehow become the savior of their season (we already know Asiata is not that guy) after some of their other picks have flopped...yours truly being one of them owners.

Asiata at this point is an RB3/flex. McKinnon is a flex at best. Oh well. :kicksrock:

I paid special attention to watching the pass pro of both RBs. Asiata's awareness and recognition is light years ahead of McKinnon at this point, though he did have a bad game catching the ball though. Not sure what McKinnon was doing exactly on his first 2 series during those sacks, he would kind of chip and then leak out half-assedly into the backfield to be an outlet. His effort on that Peppers INT has to be called into question. For being a "freak athlete", you'd think he can chase down a defensive end.

I paid special attention to watching the pass pro of both RBs. Asiata's awareness and recognition is light years ahead of McKinnon at this point, though he did have a bad game catching the ball though. Not sure what McKinnon was doing exactly on his first 2 series during those sacks, he would kind of chip and then leak out half-assedly into the backfield to be an outlet. His effort on that Peppers INT has to be called into question. For being a "freak athlete", you'd think he can chase down a defensive end.
No kidding. What the heck was that? Or is Peppers that good? I think Jerick might be hurt. I didn't see the explosiveness in him that I'd seen in highlights (admittedly, not much. Take it for what it is worth.) I did not see an explosive guy out there.

Users who are viewing this thread