What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Auction Strategies/Budgets 2014 (Redraft) (1 Viewer)

Great conversation.

One issue I'm having with all the great tools FBG offers is my estimated dollar values for players is fluctuating greatly between DD & VBD Excel even though all of the league setting are set up identical.

So I'm really not sure WHAT IM WILLING TO SPEND on some of these players, because despite the same projected fantasy points, VBD tells me a player is worth $70, while DD says $50.

Tons of examples of this.
Don't get hung up on the actual $$ value of the players that either program spits out. The best way to price out your players is to look at how much the equivalently ranked players in previous years went for in your league. Drafting tendencies of your leaguemates is a far better predictor of prices than anything DD will spit out.

If it's a new league, then it's really tough without the history. If I were in this situation and it was a standard $200 cap league, I'd probably look at the average amounts the players are going for in yahoo and espn mocks and use those as a baseline.
But I think that the settings of the league and roster size are going to make a big difference. For instance, I am in a 2 QB league and I think that it should drastically change the way that QBs are valued.

I agree that the money doesn't need to be exact, but it should be close.

PitBoss - I'd love to see the methodology you are using in excel to convert the VBD values to dollars.

If you have the Auction button checked in the VBD settings, this then gives you the dollar values automatically show up in the Cheatsheet.

Overall, the VBD Excel values are $10-$20 higher per player than the DD software with the same parameters / projections.

Thanks for the suggestion Butcher Boy, just looking for piece of mind.

Would be reassuring if these numbers were closer.

Great conversation.

One issue I'm having with all the great tools FBG offers is my estimated dollar values for players is fluctuating greatly between DD & VBD Excel even though all of the league setting are set up identical.

So I'm really not sure WHAT IM WILLING TO SPEND on some of these players, because despite the same projected fantasy points, VBD tells me a player is worth $70, while DD says $50.

Don't get hung up on the actual $$ value of the players that either program spits out. The best way to price out your players is to look at how much the equivalently ranked players in previous years went for in your league. Drafting tendencies of your leaguemates is a far better predictor of prices than anything DD will spit out.

If it's a new league, then it's really tough without the history. If I were in this situation and it was a standard $200 cap league, I'd probably look at the average amounts the players are going for in yahoo and espn mocks and use those as a baseline.
But I think that the settings of the league and roster size are going to make a big difference. For instance, I am in a 2 QB league and I think that it should drastically change the way that QBs are valued.

PitBoss - I'd love to see the methodology you are using in excel to convert the VBD values to dollars.
Of course that makes a huge difference. That's why I said if its a standard $200 league to use yahoo and ESPN's values. If it's a new league AND it has non-standard rules, then you're on your own.

I'd still advise against putting a lot of weight into the values you come up with. It's better to use the values to come up with tiers, and then adjust your strategy as the auction goes.

In a 2 QB auction, I'd be tempted to do a Zero RB strategy and grab two Tier 1-2 QBs early on.

I'm in the middle of an online auction (its kinda crazy, 12 teams, 24 nominations simultaneously going (each bid resets a player's 24 hour clock). .5 PPR and lineup is QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/K/D.

I've snuck a ton of my budget into McCoy and Forte (Forte closes in about 45 minutes and I don't think I'll be outbid). I'll let you all know how it works out. I've never gone dual stud RB in this league since only 1 is required to start, and I don't think anyone has in the past (its the 3rd year). I'll be bargin shopping from here on out. Here's what I've got thus far:

Budget $200

McCoy $69

Forte $61 (still pending)

Harvin $16

Brandin Cooks $7

Josh Gordon $5 (home run if he slips the supsension)

Britt $3

Basically, I'm looking for cheap upside WRs. Getting a cheap QB shouldn't be a problem, nor should TE. Only going to spend $1 on K/D.

Great conversation.

Of course that makes a huge difference. That's why I said if its a standard $200 league to use yahoo and ESPN's values. If it's a new league AND it has non-standard rules, then you're on your own.

I'd still advise against putting a lot of weight into the values you come up with. It's better to use the values to come up with tiers, and then adjust your strategy as the auction goes.

In a 2 QB auction, I'd be tempted to do a Zero RB strategy and grab two Tier 1-2 QBs early on.
That was his original point...FBG needs to step it up and either sync their tools or create one that generates accurate, customizable auction values for cheat sheets. For a site this size with a yearly subscription fee, I find it odd. The "cheatsheets" section on the front page always seems way off each season.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the middle of an online auction (its kinda crazy, 12 teams, 24 nominations simultaneously going (each bid resets a player's 24 hour clock). .5 PPR and lineup is QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/K/D.

I've snuck a ton of my budget into McCoy and Forte (Forte closes in about 45 minutes and I don't think I'll be outbid). I'll let you all know how it works out. I've never gone dual stud RB in this league since only 1 is required to start, and I don't think anyone has in the past (its the 3rd year). I'll be bargin shopping from here on out. Here's what I've got thus far:

Budget $200

McCoy $69

Harvin $16

Brandin Cooks $7

Britt $3

Basically, I'm looking for cheap upside WRs. Getting a cheap QB shouldn't be a problem, nor should TE. Only going to spend $1 on K/D.
I just finished an auction where I took the exact same strategy. 10 team non-ppr, so clearly more shallow than your league, but I went the 2 stud RB route.

Qb - Romo $4

RB - Peterson $56

RB - Charles $59

WR - Torrey Smith $14

WR - Cordarrelle Patterson $16

WR - DeSean Jackson $14

TE - Gronk $22

BN - Richardson $5

BN - Wheaton $4

BN - MJD $1

BN - McFadden $1

BN - Britt $1

BN - Watkins $1

If I could go back, I would have passed on Jackson for Harvin/Hilton who ended up going cheaper and upgraded my QB. Good luck!

Budget $200

McCoy $69

Harvin $16

Brandin Cooks $7

Britt $3

I just finished an auction where I took the exact same strategy. 10 team non-ppr, so clearly more shallow than your league, but I went the 2 stud RB route.

Qb - Romo $4

RB - Peterson $56

RB - Charles $59

WR - Torrey Smith $14

WR - DeSean Jackson $14

TE - Gronk $22

BN - Richardson $5

BN - Wheaton $4

BN - MJD $1

BN - McFadden $1

BN - Britt $1

BN - Watkins $1

If I could go back, I would have passed on Jackson for Harvin/Hilton who ended up going cheaper and upgraded my QB. Good luck!
Love your team. Romo (and Cutler) both went for like $16 already, so I ended up passing on them. Still, there are so many QBs I'm confident I'll get one reasonably cheap and one for $1. You got Gronk cheap too.

Budget $200

McCoy $69

Harvin $16

Brandin Cooks $7

Britt $3

Qb - Romo $4

RB - Peterson $56

RB - Charles $59

WR - Torrey Smith $14

WR - DeSean Jackson $14

TE - Gronk $22

BN - Richardson $5

BN - Wheaton $4

BN - MJD $1

BN - McFadden $1

BN - Britt $1

BN - Watkins $1

Love your team. Romo (and Cutler) both went for like $16 already, so I ended up passing on them. Still, there are so many QBs I'm confident I'll get one reasonably cheap and one for $1. You got Gronk cheap too.
Thanks! It's definitely important to get a cheap QB in that scenario. Even after the top 12 + Romo, there's still Kaep, Wilson, Roethlisberger with more no-huddle. Hopefully you land one at a great value.

I tried the dual stud RB theory last year, but ended up with Rice and Spiller. You just have to draft the right guys.

This year I'm going to nominate the top 3 QBs and then Graham if they haven't been nominated. There is such a huge drop-off after those guys, that I want to know early if I'll have the cash available or not for top talent(s) in RB/WR. Graham will be expensive this year since he was such a huge advantage last year. (I think he went for $33 last year, $200 cap). After P. Manning, Brees and Rodgers I'd rather wait and buy two cheaper options.

Really like and agree with the strategy fightingillini posted earlier. I used to exclusively nominate guys I don't want, but that's really not the best strategy because:

1. You leaguemates will quickly realize you aren't interested in guys you nominate

2. You don't get to bid and possibly acquire guys you really want and need to fill your roster. This leaves you with fewer options, and you may end up getting outbid on the guys you really want later on, without backup options for your team

The biggest thing I would say is to recognize value when it presents itself. Spend a couple extra bucks if you can acquire a solid guy on the cheap. You may want to save it for the $1 sale at the end, but you are getting a known commodity right now.

I will say it is nice to have a few dollars to play with at the end for fliers. If you burn down to only $1 left per player then you can only get the guys you nominate. And if someone still has a couple extra dollars they will outbid you for your sleepers. It's a rock and a hard place scenario that will frustrate you as you wrap up.

Great conversation.

this is a great point. I typically will go through last years draft and apply those prices to the players at this years adp. I do this for each position as well and avg the number out. It gives me a good range of where i expect guys should go for. There is also a good tool on reddit that will give you auction values based on fantasypros avg projections. Its elbobertos or bobertos. Check it out

I tried the dual stud RB theory last year, but ended up with Rice and Spiller. You just have to draft the right guys.

This year I'm going to nominate the top 3 QBs and then Graham if they haven't been nominated. There is such a huge drop-off after those guys, that I want to know early if I'll have the cash available or not for top talent(s) in RB/WR. Graham will be expensive this year since he was such a huge advantage last year. (I think he went for $33 last year, $200 cap). After P. Manning, Brees and Rodgers I'd rather wait and buy two cheaper options.

Really like and agree with the strategy fightingillini posted earlier. I used to exclusively nominate guys I don't want, but that's really not the best strategy because:

1. You leaguemates will quickly realize you aren't interested in guys you nominate

2. You don't get to bid and possibly acquire guys you really want and need to fill your roster. This leaves you with fewer options, and you may end up getting outbid on the guys you really want later on, without backup options for your team

The biggest thing I would say is to recognize value when it presents itself. Spend a couple extra bucks if you can acquire a solid guy on the cheap. You may want to save it for the $1 sale at the end, but you are getting a known commodity right now.

I will say it is nice to have a few dollars to play with at the end for fliers. If you burn down to only $1 left per player then you can only get the guys you nominate. And if someone still has a couple extra dollars they will outbid you for your sleepers. It's a rock and a hard place scenario that will frustrate you as you wrap up.
Why do you say you don't get to bid? Because you may have used up too many dollars by the time they come up?

I am actually still completely ignorant as to the mechanics of the auction. Each team is in a set order, and you just go around nominating who you want in that order until all rosters are filled, correct?

I think the most important thing is to have a budget for each starting positions and to try to stick to it. However, you have to be able to adjust when you get a bargain or overspend.

Also, just as I wouldn't draft a QB early, I would not pay for the high priced QB's. I'm finishing up a 12 team $400 cap where Manning went for 61, Brees 49 and Rodgers 42. I got Roethlisberger for 10 as my starter.

The top players in my draft went just above or just under $100. I never budget for one player to take up that much of my cap. I got Julio at 73 and Gronk at 58 as my top players. They are both coming off injury, so there is some risk, but the price was right. I think it turned out ok.

QB Roethlisberger 10

RB D. Martin 51

RB R. Bush 42

WR J. Jones 73

WR P. Garçon 42

WR A. Johnson 39

TE Gronkowski 58

Flex J. Cameron 27

BN A. Smith 1

BN Moreno 18

BN Bradshaw 10

BN D. Williams 4

BN H. Nicks 11

BN G. Jennings 8

I think the most important thing is to have a budget for each starting positions and to try to stick to it.
I actually think the exact opposite. It seems insane to me to walk into a draft saying "I want to spend $12 on a QB". Well what happens if Peyton goes for $19...do you really want to handcuff yourself like that and pass on him because you only budgeted $12 for the position? This is the quickest way to ruin your draft IMO...the key to an auction is to be flexible and draft guys that are going for less than their value.

You added the caveat of "However, you have to be able to adjust when you get a bargain or overspend." but that's really just saying "stick to your position budgets...but don't stick to your position budgets"

Auctions are an entirely different animal than snake drafts. If you limit yourself to a certain budget for each position, you're at a huge disadvantage to the owners who can be flexible and adapt to how the draft is playing out.

Why do you say you don't get to bid? Because you may have used up too many dollars by the time they come up?

I am actually still completely ignorant as to the mechanics of the auction. Each team is in a set order, and you just go around nominating who you want in that order until all rosters are filled, correct?
I just mean that you aren't bidding for guys to actually acquire.

I think the most important thing is to have a budget for each starting positions and to try to stick to it.
I actually think the exact opposite. It seems insane to me to walk into a draft saying "I want to spend $12 on a QB". Well what happens if Peyton goes for $19...do you really want to handcuff yourself like that and pass on him because you only budgeted $12 for the position? This is the quickest way to ruin your draft IMO...the key to an auction is to be flexible and draft guys that are going for less than their value.

You added the caveat of "However, you have to be able to adjust when you get a bargain or overspend." but that's really just saying "stick to your position budgets...but don't stick to your position budgets"

Auctions are an entirely different animal than snake drafts. If you limit yourself to a certain budget for each position, you're at a huge disadvantage to the owners who can be flexible and adapt to how the draft is playing out.
If he goes for 19, he is on someone else's team. I will never overspend at QB, never.

If he goes for 19, he is on someone else's team. I will never overspend at QB, never.
What if the only QB you can get at $12 is Eli Manning?

Setting hard amounts for a player or position is an awful mind set for auctions. Regardless of position, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Setting hard amounts for a player or position is an awful mind set for auctions. Regardless of position, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage.
I think QBs might work a little different than RBs & WRs.

What if a terrific RB2 value shows up; you take say a Foster with something around 85% of what you think he should go for. That could still be a good chunk of your total budget.What that means is that instead of devoting $$$ to a RB3 you probably start looking at covering your bases on the WR front and then go back and sweep up $1-5 RB sleepers at the end.

Budget $200

McCoy $69

Harvin $16

Brandin Cooks $7

Britt $3

I'm thinking about trying this in my auction on Sunday. Seems like WRs and TEs are very deep, and I'm positive I can find a decent QB at a low price. I've never tried to go this extreme before, so I think it might be fun to see if I can pull it off. Might settle for a Murray instead of another top 5 guy if it doesn't work. I just don't like that 2nd and 3rd tier of RBs all that much, other than Murray and maybe Lynch.

I think QBs might work a little different than RBs & WRs.

What if a terrific RB2 value shows up; you take say a Foster with something around 85% of what you think he should go for. That could still be a good chunk of your total budget.What that means is that instead of devoting $$$ to a RB3 you probably start looking at covering your bases on the WR front and then go back and sweep up $1-5 RB sleepers at the end.
At any position, you need to recognize what is going on in your auction and adjust... your values don't mean squat if they leave you without a competitive starting lineup because you refuse to pay more.

Any of you guys play in auction leagues where a few guys are kept each year? We have a time limit on how long guys can be kept, so the pool replenishes, and typically there's a few studs and upper echelon players at all positions available.

This year though, RB is crazy...there's Jamaal Charles and the next best available are typical low-end RB1s/strong RB2s. I'm having a hell of a time figuring what Charles should go for given the talent scarcity available. Let's say the average team has about 70% of their original budget available (after accounting for keepers), or $140 of a $200 budget. If you needed a RB1, what would you bid for Charles?

Agree about it being a bad idea to stick to a budget. You're gonna end up being the guy who has a lot of "values" but no true studs. They tend to not do well.

Think of a "budget" more as a baseline of where you think guys will end up going for. If they end up going for more (they probably will), you need to adjust and increase your allowance for similar players. Otherwise you end up being the guy I mention above.

If Eli is the only QB I could get with the 12 I wanted to spend, then I did a really poor job establishing my budget. The budget I set comes with a reasonable expectation that I could get a QB1 at that price. RB is a little different, but I am flexible enough to adjust.

Agree about it being a bad idea to stick to a budget. You're gonna end up being the guy who has a lot of "values" but no true studs. They tend to not do well.

Think of a "budget" more as a baseline of where you think guys will end up going for. If they end up going for more (they probably will), you need to adjust and increase your allowance for similar players. Otherwise you end up being the guy I mention above.
I'm in a high stakes auction as we speak, and this is sort of how my team has turned out. I did get value, but the team just does not jump out at me.

The APD of my starting line up is 17,28,31,35,42,45,48,65 , which would looks nice pick wise, it just does not look like a killer team to me.

Pumpnick said:
butcher boy said:

I'm in a high stakes auction as we speak, and this is sort of how my team has turned out. I did get value, but the team just does not jump out at me.

The APD of my starting line up is 17,28,31,35,42,45,48,65 , which would looks nice pick wise, it just does not look like a killer team to me.
Yeah, getting so many in the 28-48 range is great, but if the 17 was somewhere 1-12 instead, it would probably stand out. Sounds like you were able to salvage the draft by landing a ton of those midrange guys. Probably the only way to salvage it once all the studs are gone.

I only start to second guess my auctions if I end up with money left over then look back to see what upgrades I could have had if I used the leftover on better players earlier.

The biggest way to tell you lost your auction draft is when you see you have $15 left at the end and could've had Marshawn Lynch instead of Lamar Miller if you had put the leftover towards early bidding instead of passing guys up because of an arbitrary budget you set. It's the main reason I'm not afraid to pull the trigger on studs despite "value" not being there at the time.

Pumpnick said:
butcher boy said:

Yeah, getting so many in the 28-48 range is great, but if the 17 was somewhere 1-12 instead, it would probably stand out. Sounds like you were able to salvage the draft by landing a ton of those midrange guys. Probably the only way to salvage it once all the studs are gone.

I only start to second guess my auctions if I end up with money left over then look back to see what upgrades I could have had if I used the leftover on better players earlier.

The biggest way to tell you lost your auction draft is when you see you have $15 left at the end and could've had Marshawn Lynch instead of Lamar Miller if you had put the leftover towards early bidding instead of passing guys up because of an arbitrary budget you set. It's the main reason I'm not afraid to pull the trigger on studs despite "value" not being there at the time.
The one thing I see a lot (which I do not agree with ) are people going for one more last "nice" player instead of a few lower level players that could really help round their team. Say for instance a team has $24 left with 7 slots to fill, going for an $18 player followed by 6 $1 purchases.

RUSF18 said:
Any of you guys play in auction leagues where a few guys are kept each year? We have a time limit on how long guys can be kept, so the pool replenishes, and typically there's a few studs and upper echelon players at all positions available.

This year though, RB is crazy...there's Jamaal Charles and the next best available are typical low-end RB1s/strong RB2s. I'm having a hell of a time figuring what Charles should go for given the talent scarcity available. Let's say the average team has about 70% of their original budget available (after accounting for keepers), or $140 of a $200 budget. If you needed a RB1, what would you bid for Charles?
I've played in a similar league for 10+ years. Depends on who your keepers are.

Start by doing your projections and coverting them into auction values. Dodds' VBD spreadsheet is a good tool for that. Then put down the "market prices" for each player. That way, you will see which players you think are undervalued and which are overvalued.
I don't have a subscription, but I followed this methodology, which is basically the same thing as you are describing: http://thebiglead.com/2011/08/28/setting-auction-values-for-your-draft/

I think I did it ok, but would anyone be able to comment if they think some of my values seem right? This is PPR, 6 point Passing TD, start 2 QB/ 2 RB/ 3 WR/ 1 TE/ 1 Flex/ 1 DST/ 1 K, with 18 man rosters,
Well, did my first auction today. I was pretty good on the values for QB and WR (though the top 8 all went over). Pretty much all starting RBs went about 33% over what I was expecting.

I ended up getting just about everyone where I pegged them or for a bit less and I was initially feeling pretty good, but now I am not so happy. I think the team ended up balanced, but is too old and needs more upside. I finally got over my conservatism fully in my redraft this year, but I kind of messed it up here. I guess if Rice bounces back, it may work out, but I wish I would have used an extra dollar to get Hyde for 4

QB - Ryan (37), Cutler (29), Fitzpatrick (5)

RB - Morris (15), Gore (9), Rice (7), Steven Jackson (7), Ridley (4)

WR - Green (37), Crabtree (14), Welker (9), Torrey Smith (8), Colston (5), Evans (3), Stills (1)

TE - Witten (11), Sefarian-Jenkins (1)

DST - Bengals (2)

K - Novak (1)

RUSF18 said:

This is exactly what our league does, we limit the keepers to $75 allowed to be kept with $5 added to a players value every year ($200 league). So if say Payton was drafted for $30 last year the owner could keep him for $35 (keeping a max amount of $75 worth of players). This usually means top tier guys go back into the pool and lower or mid tier guys are kept. That being said Charles went for $68, Shady $65 and Forte for $60. Prices tend to not get to out of whack as the vast majority of teams have only between $125-$160 to start with and still need to fill a roster....

[SIZE=10.5pt]I have been doing one auction league and one snake league for several years now, and the prep process for auctions is much more rewarding. Some things I have learned based on various FBG / numberfire articles and my own auction experiences:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]1) Make sure you get some elite players (duh)[/SIZE]

The game ultimately comes down to having an advantage over your opponents at several positions. Knowing which players will be elite isn't a certainty, and that's the game. MT's strategy above is to give up the 1st round pick for a few 3rd rounders...league size will have some influence here, but I think you need those studs.

[SIZE=10.5pt]While one of your goals is to capitalize on undervalued assets, you also need a relatively consistent, predictable anchor for your team. I find it hard to win without a 1st round pick even if you acquire three 3rd round picks. Sure, you may guess right on the Antonio Browns of 2014, but why make yourself guess on 3 of them? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The elite group of WRs (based on pre-season ADP) tends to see less turnover than the same group of RBs. However, the elite RBs tend to outperform their peers more greatly than the elite WRs vs. their own peers. Again, knowing which guys will be "elite" is the entire game, so it's your choice which position to invest in, but I advocate for buying some pre-season studs. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]2) [/SIZE] Inflation occurs during the draft

[SIZE=10.5pt]Participants don't really know the market price for a tier of players until the market actually sets it (whether you agree with the market is a different issue), so you could see huge inflation relative to your pre-determined auction values. If your league website lists Peterson at $59 and you value him at $63, will he go for $59, $62 or $70? Whatever it is, you can then expect McCoy/Charles to follow suit as the market is anchored to that price (although this obviously won’t continue forever – people won’t anchor the price of every RB to the first stud that goes, but it will certainly impact players in his tier).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I'm ok with overpaying for guys as long as other players in the same tier are equivalent. I'm getting the same value as the other owners for the same price, and while some other guy will likely have a better shot at nabbing those "value" picks later on, they probably won't have the studs (and again, imo, you should buy at least one anchor)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]3) Don’t value players, value tiers … and know which tiers you are targeting[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]While you obviously need an idea of which players to invest in (who will bust / breakout, who is under/overvalued, etc.), you should have a strong sense of budget allocation based on which positions you want to invest in. For example, I value RBs heavily in my small league (standard ESPN 10-team non-PPR), so I want to invest in elite RBs, wait on QB/TE, and just pick off value at WR. In my larger 16-team league, I’m much more open to drafting a QB/TE early, but will still wait on WR. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]My small-league board is a work in progress, but currently looks like: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]QB - 2[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]RB - 60[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]RB - 40[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]WR - 20[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]WR - 13[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]FLEX - 25 (RB)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]TE - 3[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]PK / DEF - 1[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Bench – 5 (RB4)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Total: $170[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I budget 80% of my $200 (i.e., $180) to my starters plus RB4 (assuming I take RB3 as Flex). The remaining 20% goes to my other 6 bench spots. A tip from another FBG in last season's thread was to use a slush fund, which is why I only budget $170 + $20 out of the $200. I can increase any of the above values by up to $10 with no recalculating necessary, which allows me to be flexible on the spot. I don’t know if McCoy will go for $58 or $65, but I’m covered both ways. If Michael Floyd then goes for $16 instead of $12, I’m also still good. I’m not valuing those individual players, I’m valuing the tier they sit in.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]4) Dont bank on drafting any one individual player [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]All it takes is two teams for the price of Andre Ellington to hit an amount which sucks the value out of the pick. Also, there is usually that one ultra-conservative team who ultimately fails to buy a stud and then overspends greatly on those “mid-round value picks”.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Plenty of other ideas, but that's a good spot to start :) [/SIZE]
Heck this seems like good food for thought. :goodposting:

In an auction we just did, my buddy got:

Peyton

Charles

ADP

D. Murray

He had exactly $14 left after that for his last 14 spots so the rest of his team is ridiculously horrible. But it's pretty interesting.

In an auction we just did, my buddy got:

Peyton

Charles

ADP

D. Murray

He had exactly $14 left after that for his last 14 spots so the rest of his team is ridiculously horrible. But it's pretty interesting.
I'd love to see his full roster. One Flex? Decent quality league? Interesting to see his WR's. Should've gotten a decent TE late I'd think.

I was trying to keep it non-AC which is why I just painted the picture of the available money in the league and limited it to teams who needed an RB1 (probably 5 in my league).

My guess is he ends up going for about 40% of original budget. The next best available RB will probably be at about 20%.

I was trying to keep it non-AC which is why I just painted the picture of the available money in the league and limited it to teams who needed an RB1 (probably 5 in my league).My guess is he ends up going for about 40% of original budget. The next best available RB will probably be at about 20%.
The top player available in our auction league always goes for about 40-45% of total budget (30 players kept). For Charles, depending on your keeper rules, he'd be going 50-55%.

After my auction Saturday I realized just how impactful the order in which players are nominated early in the draft affects player values.

I got Matt Ryan for $7 because apparently everyone was waiting for the big 3 QBs and huge bidding wars on them followed. Ryan was nominated before all of them and I jumped on him at $7. Rodgers, Manning and Brees all went for well over $30.

I feel this supports the strategy of nominating Tier 2 guys you DO want early because you may get them at a bargain.

I was trying to keep it non-AC which is why I just painted the picture of the available money in the league and limited it to teams who needed an RB1 (probably 5 in my league).My guess is he ends up going for about 40% of original budget. The next best available RB will probably be at about 20%.
The top player available in our auction league always goes for about 40-45% of total budget (30 players kept). For Charles, depending on your keeper rules, he'd be going 50-55%.
I ended up getting Charles at $124 (of $300) or 41% of total budget. For comparison, Marshawn Lynch went for $104 and Arian Foster went for $72 right after.

I ended up getting Charles at $124 (of $300) or 41% of total budget. For comparison, Marshawn Lynch went for $104 and Arian Foster went for $72 right after.
:thumbup:

We don't charge for keepers so people are willing to shell out a bit more for a young stud like Charles.

After my auction Saturday I realized just how impactful the order in which players are nominated early in the draft affects player values.

I got Matt Ryan for $7 because apparently everyone was waiting for the big 3 QBs and huge bidding wars on them followed. Ryan was nominated before all of them and I jumped on him at $7. Rodgers, Manning and Brees all went for well over $30.

I feel this supports the strategy of nominating Tier 2 guys you DO want early because you may get them at a bargain.
This is something I noticed in mock auctions as well. When a second tier player gets nominated before the first tier, everyone freezes and dont really know how to react. Only downside I see is that everyone has the funds to drive the price up as well if they feel the players is going below market price.

This is something I noticed in mock auctions as well. When a second tier player gets nominated before the first tier, everyone freezes and dont really know how to react. Only downside I see is that everyone has the funds to drive the price up as well if they feel the players is going below market price.
not only that but you never know if you could of had him cheaper like $3 later because everyone ran out of money. in addition if someone really like ryan he could have been bidded up

Random auction things I normally do:

1) Nominate studs that I don't want to drain to funds

2) Nominate players from positions I don't need to drain funds

3) If there is a kicker or D I want that isn't an elite D, start the bidding at $2 to avoid it getting stolen. People generally won't steal for $3 but they will for $2

4) Bid up homers.

5) Drink heavily

6) Slip my sleeper pick or two in the middle of the draft so that I still have enough $$$ for them if someone else is also targeting them. Hate getting sniped on those guys late in the auction.

Ryan is the QB i'm targetting, I have the 2nd nomination so I'm tempted to try your strategy out.... I'm hoping to spend less than $10 for a low end QB1... thanks for the idea

Ryan is the QB i'm targetting, I have the 2nd nomination so I'm tempted to try your strategy out.... I'm hoping to spend less than $10 for a low end QB1... thanks for the idea
I should qualify that the cap in the league I was referring to is $100. Ryan for $7 in that league would translate to about $14 in a standard $200 league.

Buy 2 or 3 studs, then wait. Keep a little money in the reserves (ideally 20-40 left for MAX bid), attack on elite guys in case of a falling star and otherwise concentrate on getting guys who slip through. Worry about getting who you want at the top end, and be less picky about mid-round guys on the back end ... if you get a 14 dollar guy for $5-7, it's a win and a starter, and those always crop up in the late stages.

Vicktimized said:
Buy 2 or 3 studs, then wait. Keep a little money in the reserves (ideally 20-40 left for MAX bid), attack on elite guys in case of a falling star and otherwise concentrate on getting guys who slip through. Worry about getting who you want at the top end, and be less picky about mid-round guys on the back end ... if you get a 14 dollar guy for $5-7, it's a win and a starter, and those always crop up in the late stages.
for a basic auction plan, this is absolutely the best. if you don't want to spend the time to create a fully fleshed out auction big board so you know when you are getting value and have a detailed plan of attack go with this strategy as it gets you 80% of the way to a great auction

I really think having a great auction is about understanding the tendencies of the league you're in and being willing to overpay somewhere and make it up later. If you're really active in free agency, even if you look weak at a position or 2, you can find that guy later. Find heavy hitters - or guys with the upside to be heavy hitters - even if you have to go over market. And when you do that, just understand that you have to sacrifice at another part of the auction, usually at the middle-tier 20-40 dollar range.

IMO, you're more likely to find that $18 dollar Victor Cruz or Pierre Garcon with one of those late game 1-5 bids than you are to find an A.J. Green via the Cruz or Garcon $20 rangers.

I always find a way to blow all of my money, leaving me with 5-6 $1 guys at the very end of the draft. My strategy this year is to leave 10-15 remaining, so I can get some of those guys farther down on my board that I like, without having someone steal them away when I can only bet $1.

Thanks guys, sincerely. Have my auction tonight in local league-Its our 2nd auction-last year being the 1st. I'm going to drink within reason(heavily) & remain flexible.

$200 but we only draft 13 players- start 9-PPR-12 teams. We would never go back to serpentine. Wish me luck & I'll do the same for you.

I've concluded the hardest thing about auction is finding a decent RB2 when you go for one of the top RB and decide to spend on WRs. Snake redraft it seems like there is always a decent value slipping down to the 5th or 6th round, but in auction if you are conserving your budget for the finds further down you have to avoid taking the bait.

My longtime auction is going keep 1 for the first time. I'm keeping McCoy (no penalties for keeping, just keep one guy) and AP isn't being kept. I think I'm going to go all in for AP and fill in the rest of my squad with whatever I can cheaply. Having McCoy and AP is just too tempting. We have $100 to start with and based on experience AP should go for 40-50. It's a dicey strategy and I'll probably #### out when time comes

Users who are viewing this thread