What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Back surgery - who's had it? (1 Viewer)

ughh.  Sorry man..I can't even imagine 4 years of this.
Thanks. I think I've had less than two months of pain-free days in all that time. Maybe a little more. The good news is the pain isn't always excruciating. That's actually pretty rare when it strikes to the point where I can't move until it goes away. And even at it's worst it doesn't last long. Maybe 10 seconds or so. The bad news is it's always around in some fashion. There are certain triggers like about 95% of the time when I go from sitting to standing the pain is pretty bad. For some reason rolling over in bed is another trigger that sets it off.   

I've had MRI's and nothing is showing on any of them. My latest doctor thinks what's going on is a nerve was somehow damaged to the point where it's sending pain signals down my leg regularly just because it thinks there should be pain. Kind of like how amputees sometimes feel their missing limbs, that type of thing. But who the hell knows. I didn't have any physical issues before so nobody can figure out what caused it in the first place. Now it's just trying to figure out some way to fix it.

Thanks. I think I've had less than two months of pain-free days in all that time. Maybe a little more. The good news is the pain isn't always excruciating. That's actually pretty rare when it strikes to the point where I can't move until it goes away. And even at it's worst it doesn't last long. Maybe 10 seconds or so. The bad news is it's always around in some fashion. There are certain triggers like about 95% of the time when I go from sitting to standing the pain is pretty bad. For some reason rolling over in bed is another trigger that sets it off.   

I've had MRI's and nothing is showing on any of them. My latest doctor thinks what's going on is a nerve was somehow damaged to the point where it's sending pain signals down my leg regularly just because it thinks there should be pain. Kind of like how amputees sometimes feel their missing limbs, that type of thing. But who the hell knows. I didn't have any physical issues before so nobody can figure out what caused it in the first place. Now it's just trying to figure out some way to fix it.
Wow.  That must make it very hard to diagnose.  Mine is pretty straight forward I think with spinal stenosis showing up in the MRI.  Just very narrow openings with L3-L4 and L4-L5 so sciatic nerve is getting pinched. 

So far my 2nd epidural is providing more relief, though I'm only a day and a half in.  Not expecting much, but trying to do everything I can. Good luck with yours

Update - major progress!  Last Tuesday I had a really good PT session.  Mostly traction type exercises and pulling my leg slowly (literally).  Slow movements, slightly different angles.  I went in for my 2nd epidural the next day.  My pain was down to a 2 or so.  When the doc heard my pain level (after IV was already in) she asked whether we should even do the epidural, as every procedure has risk. But because I was at a 5 or so only 2 days earlier she thought we should go for it.  Well, it's 6 days now and I've been completely pain free.  No meds, creams.  Occasional icing just for precaution.  Had another good PT session yesterday.  The great part is I'm getting more feeling/sensation in my thighs.  Still a bit weak (I'm definitely out of shape) but just walked the dog for 40 minutes on our regular route and no issues.   I  couldn't go 5 minutes before.  Will take it slow - still not planning on returning to golf for likely several months.  Want to get back in shape, strengthen core/back, etc.  Still may go through with rolfing.

Really hope I can avoid the sciatica thing going forward.  It was absolutely brutal.  I have a newfound understanding when somebody talks about pain, especially back pain. Will do whatever I can to create some space in my back. Still have the consultation with the surgeon on Thursday, but it will mostly be me asking questions for situations down the road if/when this reoccurs.  Thanks to all for sharing their experiences and words of wisdom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread