What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Backyard Batting Cage (1 Viewer)

soothsayer

Footballguy
Batting cage rental costs $30/hour where I live. That doesn't seem outrageous, but over time (over the upcoming years) that may add up pretty quickly. So I'm looking for alternatives....

Do any of you have experience with a backyard batting cage? Have you built one, had one installed, or know someone who has? Cost? Maintenance requirements? Difficulty?

One immediate drawback is that I'm in MN so an outdoor cage is really only viable April - October. As much of the cage time will be in the off-season, that hitting will still need to take place elsewhere. Ideally I'd have property with an outbuilding or pole barn to work with but that is not an option. I do, however, have enough space for a full length cage (approx. 75 feet). I am in a neighborhood so noise/nuisance factor is a consideration.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Mods - please do not move this to the baseball thread as more than just "baseball fans" could have input on this topic. TIA.

I've seen it done in a backyard with as little as netting all around the sides and top, some kind of pitching machine, and an L screen. Basically exactly what would go up in a gym for a HS baseball team. Seems like little maintenance and cost, but I don't know specifics. Wish I could help more.

We have this one:

http://www.battingcagesinc.com/review/product/list/id/51/category/39/

It has held up well to the abuse my son and his friends have inflicted upon it. In the event of inclement weather, we have a net set up in the garage for tee work (lots of use this winter).
Is it easy to move to mow the lawn under it, or do you just work around it?

We have an outdoor golf net which is great in theory (and which we could use for tee work), but it's a pain to move it

If you have enough room I would suggest erecting a goal post in the back yard as well. I doubt any neighbors would have any issues.

We have this one:

http://www.battingcagesinc.com/review/product/list/id/51/category/39/

It has held up well to the abuse my son and his friends have inflicted upon it. In the event of inclement weather, we have a net set up in the garage for tee work (lots of use this winter).
Is it easy to move to mow the lawn under it, or do you just work around it?

We have an outdoor golf net which is great in theory (and which we could use for tee work), but it's a pain to move it
Easy enough to move. Regular use tears up the grass pretty good though. You might want to consider putting down a turf pad for the batters box and behind the L-screen.

Users who are viewing this thread