What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Balancing job offers -- advice? (1 Viewer)

Job #1's offer was based on a 40-hour work week. I am now informed that staff often work a few hours extra overtime each week, and are compensated extra for it. The written offer does lay out an overtime rate, but what I didn't know was how overtime was treated in the company culture -- do overtime hours flow freely, or does the company bend over backwards to avoid paying OT except for special projects? I am told it is more like the former.

To me, that's a big plus. I can pull off, say, 3-5 hours a week of overtime with no life-quality impact. That potentially brings the Job #1 compensation up to around what my counteroffer was -- maybe a little higher.
Sounds like a no brainer. gll! 

As a middle line manager I hire about two first line managers a year.  I had a few prospects tell me that they have a pending offer from another firm, I say my offer is firm and ask them to give me their decision before we conclude our phone call.  If you trying to play me today, how can I trust you to be loyal to my team.
Negotiating salary is not considering below-the-belt in the white-collar fields I am familiar with. Why would you think the candidates are attempting to play you?

When you initially make offers, do you make clear up front that the offer is not negotiable? Or do you only say "my offer is firm" as a response to a counteroffer?

Ding ding ding ding!
Be careful, the days of $80-$110 barrel are long gone. Unless it's a down  stream related company (distribution or retail or services related to these) I'd think hard before going with #2.
Specifically -- it would helping Job #2 client firm's materials-management staff to get their hands around their inventory data. Not sure how sensitive that kind of work would be to market fluctuations.

Doug B said:
... I have a difficult time believing you will be a happy employee if you are underpaid starting day one.
This has crossed my mind. With some responsible cutting back (not giving up essentials or basic entertainment), our household can run the same as before.
Accepted Job #1 earlier today.

Darnit, tnjc09 ... looks like you were on to something. First time in my life I've ever started a new job without that huge positive buzzing-all-over feeling. Feels very "meh" :(  

Accepted Job #1 earlier today.

Darnit, tnjc09 ... looks like you were on to something. First time in my life I've ever started a new job without that huge positive buzzing-all-over feeling. Feels very "meh" :(  
Major stress of finding job/deciding on two "not so perfect offers" is done. You can keep looking for something more perfect. Congrats! Family probably happy you have a job and not relocating, change of schools, etc... Maybe have to cut back a little on monthly expenses but hopefully OT can take up most of the gap.

Thanks for the well wishes, guys.

One thing about this new job is that it will be much easier to connect with people and build out my professional network.

Users who are viewing this thread