What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bands/Musicians you regret missing out on (1 Viewer)

jamny

Footballguy
What are some of the bands and musicians you got into long after their prime even though you were into music during their prime.

I only got into David Bowie a couple of years ago. I always liked whatever I heard on the radio but never got deeper into his music. I was sitting in a bar in Cabos a few years ago and all they played was Bowie for a couple of hours. Not sure why. But I was just blown away by some of the songs I never hear before but were clearly him. Been hooked since. I just got in an Anarchy DVD today :thumbup: Incredible.

I regret missing out on some of the punk movement. I didn't hate it all but I was a metalhead. Suicidal, Bad Brains, Carnivore, I liked stuff like that but I probably could have gotten into a lot more, and earlier, stuff when I was still clinging to classic heavy metal and classic rock, not that it was called that at the time. :)

Johnny Cash. Not that I was around to see him during his prime but he was another one where I always liked his music but never delved deeper when I was a kid.

Johnny Cash.

I especially love all the stuff he recorded the last couple years of his life. Strikes an emotional chord.

His cover of "Hurt" gives me the chills every time I hear it.

Phish definitely. They're still jamming, but I'm too old to be touring. I've logged close to 70 DMB shows, but I wish I went the Phish route instead. I'll throw out Springsteen and the E Street Band as well. Those are 2 bands that have an amazing live experience that would have been right up my ally in my 20's.

I've logged close to 70 DMB shows, but I wish I went the Phish route instead.
That's an interesting comment. I don't really know either, but why? I'm sure you enjoyed the DMB shows, right? What is the difference in the route you took?

The Smiths. My favorite band in college but never got a chance to see them live. Would love to have seen Johnny Marr play those guitar parts live.

Last edited by a moderator:
No idea how I never saw Fugazi live. Always a fan, but probably more of a passing fan back in the day. My love for them has certainly grown since the time they stopped touring.

Probably Alice in Chains and Nirvana, but I was too young when those bands careers abruptly ended so maybe they shouldn't count.

I wish I saw Incubus one tour sooner. 1998 vs 2000 was a huge difference.

Johnny Cash.

I especially love all the stuff he recorded the last couple years of his life. Strikes an emotional chord.

His cover of "Hurt" gives me the chills every time I hear it.
Yeah, it was the American Recordings and the movie about him that woke me up to his music. His early stuff is so raw and heartfelt too.

Jazz and classival music in General, wasted a lot of years listening to some bad music before I fully got on board.

That's an interesting comment. I don't really know either, but why? I'm sure you enjoyed the DMB shows, right? What is the difference in the route you took?
Phish shows are just on an entirely different level. Between the music and the whole vibe, its just intense. A DMB show has some elements of a phish show with some good jams sprinkled throughout the night and overall a solid crowd, but it just doesn't compare. I certainly enjoyed my time DMB, but I feel I would've enjoyed Phish a lot more; whether I would've survived is another story. Even now, at DMB shows I've been to in recent years, I'm one of the more active crowd members while at Phish, I can't keep up. I'm exhausted after 3 hours of that stuff.

Phish shows are just on an entirely different level. Between the music and the whole vibe, its just intense. A DMB show has some elements of a phish show with some good jams sprinkled throughout the night and overall a solid crowd, but it just doesn't compare. I certainly enjoyed my time DMB, but I feel I would've enjoyed Phish a lot more; whether I would've survived is another story. Even now, at DMB shows I've been to in recent years, I'm one of the more active crowd members while at Phish, I can't keep up. I'm exhausted after 3 hours of that stuff.
Nice.

Like I said, I don't know either. I just figured everyone was just laying back and hanging out at both.

The White Stripes/ garage rock scene of early 2000s
sorry for rubbing it in, but they were ####### awesome.Pay whatever it takes for a reunion show. I will. Or just go see Jack.

Went to first concert in '71 - Grank Funk at age 13 (7th grade). Saw a lot of bands over the years and went to a lot of concerts - they were affordable and plentiful

Woodstock would have been cool to go to, though the weather, food/general conditions were pretty bad.

ETA: wish I could have seen Traffic

I think my biggest regrets are 3 bands that i never gave a chance to until 5 or so years ago. Still might not have if not for this board/music drafts, but now they are in constant rotation:

Pink Floyd

Queen

Talking Heads

Pink Floyd, but I couldn't have been into them during their prime since their prime is before my time. Saw part of a live show when I was in high school in '94 at old Municipal Stadium, but we showed up a bit late and left early. Dumb HS kids with free tickets from friends' dad who was a ticket broker. Just wish I was more into their early prime stuff besides Dark Side and the Wall before the last few years.

Phish, never listened to them until college, which was still just "A Live One" and not much else. I wore that CD to shreds. Actually saw them once live during college, but regret now not seeing them more in the late 90's/early 00's. Started listening hardcore after college so I've really enjoyed seeing them 3 times since 2009. I'm sure they are killing it as I type. Can't wait to go to another show someday.

Limp Ditka said:
No idea how I never saw Fugazi live. Always a fan, but probably more of a passing fan back in the day. My love for them has certainly grown since the time they stopped touring.
Was fortunate to see Fugazi 4 times, including what may be my favorite show of all time at City Gardens in Trenton NJ around '93 (Steady Diet of Nothing Tour I think).

What was great about Fugazi shows among other things was they refused to charge more than $5 and only did all ages. Amazing energy at those shows.

I agree with the above on The Smiths. Caught Morrissey a few times, good but just not the same.

There are a lot of regrets in life. Like I regret not picking up the signals in college that Anna totally wanted to bone.

I regret not pouring a lot more money into stocks in 2009.

But I've never felt regret over not listening to any type of music. Seems strange.

Ilov80s said:
Jazz and classival music in General, wasted a lot of years listening to some bad music before I fully got on board.
Jazz is alive and well. Where do you live, llov80s?

Wish I would have seen more Grateful Dead.

I only really learned of them my first year in college, 1984. My first show was 1987 Dylan & the Dead @ Giants Stadium. Had a decent run of shows between then and 1991. But, I could have seen so much more.

Never to got experience Frank Zappa live. I was just a bit too young, and he died too soon,

By the way, for Nutter: my wife and I are forty-somethings and we catch Phish several times a year. New Years Eve was great last night. You can do it! Or at least check out what we call Couch tour where you can stream live shows at home through Phish.com. It is great and you avoid the masses.

Agreed - seems strange to say you've missed out unless you're talking about live shows. The music itself is right at our fingertips.

Agreed - seems strange to say you've missed out unless you're talking about live shows. The music itself is right at our fingertips.
I completely missed out on the purpose of the OP. I guess my big ones then would be a couple bands that I didn't get into in HS/College, but love know: Dinosaur Jr, and Afghan Whigs.

There are a lot of regrets in life. Like I regret not picking up the signals in college that Anna totally wanted to bone.

But I've never felt regret over not listening to any type of music. Seems strange.
This post seems -EV.

I completely missed out on the purpose of the OP. I guess my big ones then would be a couple bands that I didn't get into in HS/College, but love know: Dinosaur Jr, and Afghan Whigs.
Whigs have been touring. They'll be in Europe in Feb, and while nothing is scheduled as of now, I'd like to think they'll do the states again.

Saw them in 2013. They didn't disappoint

I wasn't just talking about live shows, but missing out on the experience while the band was at their peak. Anticipation for a new album coming out, maybe there's a new guitarist or something, hearing rumors about a new direction the band might be talking. I remember when Zeppelin put out In Through the Out Door. Endless stories about the making of the album, great anticipation. They actually played the entire album the night before it was released on a local station here (WNEW) We all gathered around the radio to listen to the whole thing.

I got into Rush when they put out 2112. I couldn't wait for the next few albums as they came out, so psyched as the days approached, going to the record store that day to have it right away. Huge AC/DC fan, so living through the early years, Bon dying, and the explosion that was Back in Black. Incredible. Priest and Maiden, early Metallica. The whole metal scene on the 80's. Great time for music, at least what I was in to. I don't think anything had as much hype as when Floyd put out The Wall. Everyone was talking about it.

So yeah, not so much missed shows. Just living through and enjoying it while it was happening.

A band I was a couple years late on and didn't get to see before the lead singer died was Morphine

A band I was a couple years late on and didn't get to see before the lead singer died was Morphine
Can't even estimate the number of times I passed on seeing Morphine. Was all set to see them when they came back from that Europe tour because I knew a guy in the band that was going to open for them

RIP Sandmam

2 live shows in particular for me. I missed the U2 show at Arizona State stadium when they recorded the Joshua Tree. Had a chance to go and passed. And I never saw Van Halen live but was in line in 1984 at the Arizona state fairgrounds and decided at the last minute to go mess around at the fair instead. :wall:

I've been to a lot of Widespread Panic shows, and I regret not seeing them more before Mikey died. Though, I was pulling some quality tail at that time, so I kind of give myself a pass.

I wasn't just talking about live shows, but missing out on the experience while the band was at their peak. Anticipation for a new album coming out, maybe there's a new guitarist or something, hearing rumors about a new direction the band might be talking. I remember when Zeppelin put out In Through the Out Door. Endless stories about the making of the album, great anticipation. They actually played the entire album the night before it was released on a local station here (WNEW) We all gathered around the radio to listen to the whole thing.

I got into Rush when they put out 2112. I couldn't wait for the next few albums as they came out, so psyched as the days approached, going to the record store that day to have it right away. Huge AC/DC fan, so living through the early years, Bon dying, and the explosion that was Back in Black. Incredible. Priest and Maiden, early Metallica. The whole metal scene on the 80's. Great time for music, at least what I was in to. I don't think anything had as much hype as when Floyd put out The Wall. Everyone was talking about it.

So yeah, not so much missed shows. Just living through and enjoying it while it was happening.
I hear you. Unfortunately, that's obviously a generational thing though - the days of anticipating and hearing an album on commercial radio, read about what was happening with a band in Rolling Stone/Creem/Circus, or finding out about a tour are all relics of the pre-information age.

SRV. I should've been at the El Mocambo.
Stevie Ray is a great call. I distinctly remember when he came through Pittsburgh and for some reason I could not go to the concert. I assumed I'd catch him the next time around. So sad that never happened.

I hear you. Unfortunately, that's obviously a generational thing though - the days of anticipating and hearing an album on commercial radio, read about what was happening with a band in Rolling Stone/Creem/Circus, or finding out about a tour are all relics of the pre-information age.
Yeah, and sitting with the album, following along with the lyrics and reading all the liner notes.

I used to paint album covers on denim jackets back in the day when it was popular too. :cool:

I've been to a lot of Widespread Panic shows, and I regret not seeing them more before Mikey died. Though, I was pulling some quality tail at that time, so I kind of give myself a pass.
I've been to probably 100 Panic shows, maybe 30 of those were with Houser. I'm thankful I was able to see him that much. I'd trade in my 25-30 or so George McConnell shows for 1 pre-hiatus Phish Show.

My regret is that Phish took a 4 year hiatus right when I was 18-22 years old. I was able to see Phish 2.0 four times, the "final" Coventry shows being 2 of those. It was average at best.

Was able to see them this past summer and they were smoking.

Yeah, and sitting with the album, following along with the lyrics and reading all the liner notes.

I used to paint album covers on denim jackets back in the day when it was popular too. :cool:
:thumbup:

That is because you have a large black hole where your soul should be.

Users who are viewing this thread