What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Baseball rules question (1 Viewer)

djkidd

Footballguy
Situation is runners on first and third and one out. Runner on first takes off with the pitch and a line drive is hit to the shortstop. The shortstop catches the ball and throws to first, but the ball gets past the first baseman. Meanwhile the runner on third tags up and crosses home plate. But the first baseman is able to get to the ball and throw to the pitcher (who's now covering first base) before the runner who was originally on first, can get back to the base.

So does the run count because he crossed home before the last out or does the run not count because the runner on first was a force out?

TIA

I think the run would count, the runner scored before the third out and it wasn't a force play. Isn't it jsut like two runners tagging up and first runner scored before the second runner was thrown out.

It is a force out, though, I think. The runner HAS to go back to first. He has no other choice.

I'm no expert though, just thinking logically.

If the runner at third, tags, and touches home plate before the first baseman throws to the pitcher at first base. The run counts.

If the runner at third, tags, and touches home plate before the first baseman throws to the pitcher at first base. The run counts.
The run counts. But actually, before the pitcher catches the ball for the third out. It is not unlike a rundown play, where the runner scores while the other runner is being run down, back and forth.

This exact situation is in the MLB rule book, found online. The run counts:

Example: Not a force out. One out. Runner on first and third. Batter flies out. Two out. Runneron third tags up and scores. Runner on first tries to retouch before throw from fielder reaches firstbaseman, but does not get back in time and is out. Three outs. If, in umpire’s judgment, the runner fromthird touched home before the ball was held at first base, the run counts.

Users who are viewing this thread