What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bears and Chris Simms (1 Viewer)

RudeDog

Footballguy
Would the Bears be wise to actively pursue Chris Simms in a trade with the Bucs ?

He seems to be a smart QB (unlike Grossman) and a tough competitor (unlike Orton). This seems to have promise for the Bears and shouldn't be too expensive as Gruden has a grudge against Simms it seems.

Any other insight on this rumor ?

Would the Bears be wise to actively pursue Chris Simms in a trade with the Bucs ?He seems to be a smart QB (unlike Grossman) and a tough competitor (unlike Orton). This seems to have promise for the Bears and shouldn't be too expensive as Gruden has a grudge against Simms it seems.Any other insight on this rumor ?
Grossman and Orton certainly are not the answer, so I would say why not? I'm not the biggest Simms fan, but I think he is better than any QB the Bears have.

Would the Bears be wise to actively pursue Chris Simms in a trade with the Bucs ?He seems to be a smart QB (unlike Grossman) and a tough competitor (unlike Orton). This seems to have promise for the Bears and shouldn't be too expensive as Gruden has a grudge against Simms it seems.Any other insight on this rumor ?
Grossman and Orton certainly are not the answer, so I would say why not? I'm not the biggest Simms fan, but I think he is better than any QB the Bears have.
That being agreed upon, who would then get released? I would say Orton since he has a weaker arm than Grossman.It also has been reported that the Cowboys are looking at Simms. The Bears should move on this quickly if they are seriously considering a change.

That being agreed upon, who would then get released? I would say Orton since he has a weaker arm than Grossman.It also has been reported that the Cowboys are looking at Simms. The Bears should move on this quickly if they are seriously considering a change.
They'd probably keep both of them since they don't have a high quality QB prospect.

Gruden has a grudge against Simms it seems.
Just for the record...the only grudge Gruden may have was formed recently when Simms started talking to the media like a Favre wannabe. Prior to that, the reason Simms didn't seem to be Gruden's favorite is because he does not fit his offense...he squeezed a square peg into a round hole in '05...but didn't want to try that again with options like Garcia out there that fit what he wants to a tee.I will say in Simms favor, that in addition to his grit...he has a cannon and throws a beautiful deep ball...the best I've ever seen in Tampa. He could have some success in a different offense IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both the Bears and Cowboys had scouts at the Tampa game this past weekend.
Haven't heard this yet, but it doesn't surprise me. The Bucs were definitely trying to showcase him to spark more trade interest. IMO, Jerry Jones has offered a 6th, and Bruce Allen is demanding a 4th. Bucs will probably sit on him until someone gets injured, or they have to trade him for a 6th.He has experience, and he does have a nice arm. If he could go to a team with good pass protection, he could be serviceable. Problem is he can't get rid of the ball fast enough, and he isn't the most mobile QB.btw, I think since people know his name he could be used by a GM as a public relations move. Like for one of those teams that didn't have enough cap space to make any major moves in FA.

Would the Bears be wise to actively pursue Chris Simms in a trade with the Bucs ?

He seems to be a smart QB (unlike Grossman) and a tough competitor (unlike Orton). This seems to have promise for the Bears and shouldn't be too expensive as Gruden has a grudge against Simms it seems.

Any other insight on this rumor ?
Do you remember who we're talking about here? The Bears aren't going to actively pursue anyone. Never have. To address your question, I don't think Simms would be any different than the others, but it sure wouldn't hurt. Won't happen though. Rex is our quarterback. Rex is our quarterback. Rex is our quarterback

As a Bears fan, I say we give Caleb Hanie a shot at starting.
Hanie was undrafted for a reason. The hype surrounding him based on a few plays in preseason against other 3rd and 4th teamers is a bit much. He will be lucky to make the practice squad, let alone start.

Haven't heard this yet, but it doesn't surprise me. The Bucs were definitely trying to showcase him to spark more trade interest. IMO, Jerry Jones has offered a 6th, and Bruce Allen is demanding a 4th. Bucs will probably sit on him until someone gets injured, or they have to trade him for a 6th.He has experience, and he does have a nice arm. If he could go to a team with good pass protection, he could be serviceable. Problem is he can't get rid of the ball fast enough, and he isn't the most mobile QB.btw, I think since people know his name he could be used by a GM as a public relations move. Like for one of those teams that didn't have enough cap space to make any major moves in FA.
Thanks Q. A 4th just seems ridiculous for Allen. He needs to get real. Or maybe he doesn't really want to trade him. If so, that's a really unusual tact they've taken as they've seemed so negative toward Simms.J

Simms would be an improvement in Chicago I suppose. His biggest problem, going back to high school, is an inability to read coverages. He looked to be improving when starting for Tampa. He has a great arm and good poise, just needs to learn to read the D.

If you were Chris Simms, wouldn't you rather go to the Bears? You would have a greater chance at being the starter there than in Dallas.

Bears and Chris Simms

Its no different then what they already have.
:lmao: So why did they get rid of Griese? The Bears might as well try to develop Caleb Hannie and see what he's got.
I never understood this either. Griese is no Pro Bowler, but he's certainly better than what they've got, and with that defense and dedication to the run you can win with that. It's not a good sign when your franchise is longing for the salad days of Erik Kramer at QB.

This would just make too much sense. But the one problem is they pretty much write off this season if they do that. They have not drafted a QB in what, 5 years? They should've addressed this before now. Simms would have to hold the clip board for at least half the season before he could legitimately contribute as a starter and give them a better chance to win than Grossman or Orton.

And both Grossman and Orton would know they are just keeping the seat warm for Simms. Maybe it lights a fire under them but I doubt it. A nuclear detonation will not light a fire under these guys. They just lack the talent to be successful. I believe these guys are motivated, just that they aren't any good.

So bring him in. That O is so bad, it's not like they have any hopes for the SB anyway...

This would just make too much sense. But the one problem is they pretty much write off this season if they do that. They have not drafted a QB in what, 5 years? They should've addressed this before now. Simms would have to hold the clip board for at least half the season before he could legitimately contribute as a starter and give them a better chance to win than Grossman or Orton. And both Grossman and Orton would know they are just keeping the seat warm for Simms. Maybe it lights a fire under them but I doubt it. A nuclear detonation will not light a fire under these guys. They just lack the talent to be successful. I believe these guys are motivated, just that they aren't any good. So bring him in. That O is so bad, it's not like they have any hopes for the SB anyway...
What offense does Ron Turner run? Is it like his brother, Norv's, and out of the Coryell-Gibbs-Zampese coaching tree? If so, then I'd be inclined to agree that Simms would have a tough transition at first due to his exclusively WCO experience under Gruden.

This would just make too much sense. But the one problem is they pretty much write off this season if they do that. They have not drafted a QB in what, 5 years? They should've addressed this before now. Simms would have to hold the clip board for at least half the season before he could legitimately contribute as a starter and give them a better chance to win than Grossman or Orton. And both Grossman and Orton would know they are just keeping the seat warm for Simms. Maybe it lights a fire under them but I doubt it. A nuclear detonation will not light a fire under these guys. They just lack the talent to be successful. I believe these guys are motivated, just that they aren't any good. So bring him in. That O is so bad, it's not like they have any hopes for the SB anyway...
What offense does Ron Turner run? Is it like his brother, Norv's, and out of the Coryell-Gibbs-Zampese coaching tree? If so, then I'd be inclined to agree that Simms would have a tough transition at first due to his exclusively WCO experience under Gruden.
Well, that's the problem with Simms. He's more of a long toss guy, and not the high percentage short yardage stuff of the WCO. That's why he doesn't fit well with Gruden's O. He would be better off in an O that stretched the field more with a power running game that makes DB's cheat up to stop the run and then a long bomb to single coverage to keep the DB's honest. I think that one of the problems Rodgers is going to have in that offense is that he has such a strong arm and a lack of "touch" that he will have a hard time making the shorter passes required in the WCO. He will need to adjust to that....Favre has a gun, but he also has touch....

Thanks Q. A 4th just seems ridiculous for Allen. He needs to get real. Or maybe he doesn't really want to trade him. If so, that's a really unusual tact they've taken as they've seemed so negative toward Simms.J
Not sure if you remember or not, but Simms called out the Glazers for not releasing him. Apparently, the coaching staff wanted to part ways with him, but the Glazers thought he still had some value. He has since worked things out with Gruden, and I think he understands what is going on.

Seems like a good fit. We're sticking by guys in Grossman/Orton that we loved out of college 3-4-5 years ago. (And I've read we liked Simms likewise out of Texas).

As much as I'd like to get our hands on Simms, I'm really hoping we shoot bigger and strive for someone like Kurt Kittner. Turner's probably wetting himself thinking about Kittner to Lloyd.

Users who are viewing this thread