What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Belichick sitting all his starters (1 Viewer)

The Kuhn

Footballguy
So...why bother with preseason at all?

How can this sit well w/ Goodell? Sure, coaches sit this player or that rather than risk injury...but the whole team? At what point is the coach obligated to put the product on the field that fans are paying to see?

If the problem was scheduling too many games too close together, can't that be contested without just refusing to "show up"? Sure, the commish is probably the only guy who really is pushing preseason football, but this has to be a somewhat passive aggressive way of non-complying with the league's expectations. Nobody wants to expose their playbook or players to injury, but teams comply anyway...seems awfully ballsy to me, and just as shady as "lying" on injury reports.

it's the smart move and it's preseason...nothing to get worked up over.
It is a big deal it's not like the fans get to pay half price for tickets but they get a half ### product
no, what would be a big deal is if they had started and one of their big contributors suffered a major injury. It's really not a big deal.We already know what the guys sitting are capable of. Do we really have to see Brady lead a drive or 2 to know he's gong to be elite again this year?

Last edited by a moderator:
Who cares? Billy B calls the shots and the games do not count. Let the guys trying to make the team have all the reps.

It is a big deal it's not like the fans get to pay half price for tickets but they get a half ### product
As a Panthers season ticket holder, I would have no problem with them starting a bunch of scrubs. Prevents injuries. Yeah, paying full price for preseason games sucks... But you know what you're getting into when you sign up

3 games in 10 days and there are a lot guys playing for jobs tonight. They are welcoming the opportunity to put stuff on tape and have the coaches evaluate them.

I'm continually amazed by the things people make a big deal out of and complain about.

There's a difference between public preseason games where tickets are sold and closed practices. I highly doubt this is the product Goodell wants taking the field- especially when it's a MNF slot.

I highly doubt this is the product Goodell wants taking the field- especially when it's a MNF slot.
who cares what Goodell wants out of a preseason game? But I'll admit it would be funnier if he had run all those guys out there for 2 series and had them take a knee on every down.

There's a difference between public preseason games where tickets are sold and closed practices. I highly doubt this is the product Goodell wants taking the field- especially when it's a MNF slot.
:rolleyes: I'm sure he'd rather have Tom Brady get injured in a meaningless pre-season game and have Ryan Mallet lead the Pats in the reg. season.Check out the latest TV contract the NFL and the networks agreed to and then check out the ratings for tonights game vs what else is on TV on a Monday night in August. Goodell is fine.Trust us, there are a lot of things to complain about in the world. This is not one of them.

So...why bother with preseason at all?How can this sit well w/ Goodell? Sure, coaches sit this player or that rather than risk injury...but the whole team? At what point is the coach obligated to put the product on the field that fans are paying to see?If the problem was scheduling too many games too close together, can't that be contested without just refusing to "show up"? Sure, the commish is probably the only guy who really is pushing preseason football, but this has to be a somewhat passive aggressive way of non-complying with the league's expectations. Nobody wants to expose their playbook or players to injury, but teams comply anyway...seems awfully ballsy to me, and just as shady as "lying" on injury reports.
time for a congressional hearing?

That is BS cop out! I kno we are all fans but that is horrible that they charge fans full price For that crap but

'thehornet said:
Those fans are not being forced to pay for those tickets.
Preseason games are still the biggest ripoff around. You're pretty much forced to buy that crap if you want season tickets or they're packaged with the best games single ticket sales. It's easy to see why more and more people opt to stay at home and watch the game on HD TV with constant gouging at every turn. If I go to the store and buy a new shirt I'm not forced to buy a rag at the same price. You can't blame a coach for doing what's right for himself and his team during a glorified practice. I think the owners realize the fans will only take so much which is why they're still pushing for an 18 game regular season. The players need to realize it's in the best interest for the continued success of the league.

'thehornet said:
Preseason games are still the biggest ripoff around. You're pretty much forced to buy that crap if you want season tickets or they're packaged with the best games single ticket sales. It's easy to see why more and more people opt to stay at home and watch the game on HD TV with constant gouging at every turn. If I go to the store and buy a new shirt I'm not forced to buy a rag at the same price. You can't blame a coach for doing what's right for himself and his team during a glorified practice. I think the owners realize the fans will only take so much which is why they're still pushing for an 18 game regular season. The players need to realize it's in the best interest for the continued success of the league.
But if there were a limited amount of shirts available for purchase and there were tens of thousands of people who would gladly take that package deal if you were to pass it up, then yes, you would buy both the rag and the shirt if the alternative were no shirt at all.

'thehornet said:
I think everyone would agree that preseason games are a ripoff. What's the point? Still, nobody is forcing you to pay. And if you happen to be a season ticket holder, then I am pretty certain you take joy in watching any football and would prefer your best players not to be hurt in practice in August for no absolutely no reason.

'thehornet said:
But if there were a limited amount of shirts available for purchase and there were tens of thousands of people who would gladly take that package deal if you were to pass it up, then yes, you would buy both the rag and the shirt if the alternative were no shirt at all.
:goodposting: common sense prevails!

'thehornet said:
I think everyone would agree that preseason games are a ripoff. What's the point? Still, nobody is forcing you to pay. And if you happen to be a season ticket holder, then I am pretty certain you take joy in watching any football and would prefer your best players not to be hurt in practice in August for no absolutely no reason.
My point is it's the number one complaint by season ticket holders, Goodell said as much during the lockout. Which is why the league needs to find a way to eliminate two preseason games and move to an 18 game regular season.ETA: With technology constantly moving forward to provide a good at home/bar experience and prices of everything always rising at the stadium it's going to reach a tipping point where the demand isn't there and it already has in some cities.

'thehornet said:
My point is it's the number one complaint by season ticket holders, Goodell said as much during the lockout. Which is why the league needs to find a way to eliminate two preseason games and move to an 18 game regular season.ETA: With technology constantly moving forward to provide a good at home/bar experience and prices of everything always rising at the stadium it's going to reach a tipping point where the demand isn't there and it already has in some cities.
I don't think you understand supply and demand. Once again: there are thousands upon thousands of people willing to pay for these tickets if the current season ticket holders are no longer interested.

i think it would be neet if he started all of his starters for one series each on the opposite side fo teh field that they normally play on sot hat they would learn what the other side goes through and learn by negative osmosis i would do it in the first preseason game so that noone would be able tocomplain too much but it would be a radical idea that only bill the videographer key grip billachek would come up with and then when the real games started his o players would know exactly how tough certain moves are on d and they would do a move that captured that difficulty and burned the d player for a trick play td of at least 80 yards or more and then the announcers would go on a tangent about what a genious billachek is but really it would be because the o players knew what the d players do take that to the bank brohans

'hotboyz said:
'Buffaloes said:
A "fan" should be more concerned about their team being healthy for the regular season. There are still interesting position battles and players to watch for in these games. If you want to see the starters, go to a regular season game.

'hotboyz said:
'Buffaloes said:
A "fan" should be more concerned about their team being healthy for the regular season. There are still interesting position battles and players to watch for in these games. If you want to see the starters, go to a regular season game.
As a fan of your team you should be happy that they are talented enough to sit 27 guys bc they know they are good (#dolphin fan)

'The Kuhn said:
So...why bother with preseason at all?How can this sit well w/ Goodell? Sure, coaches sit this player or that rather than risk injury...but the whole team? At what point is the coach obligated to put the product on the field that fans are paying to see?If the problem was scheduling too many games too close together, can't that be contested without just refusing to "show up"? Sure, the commish is probably the only guy who really is pushing preseason football, but this has to be a somewhat passive aggressive way of non-complying with the league's expectations. Nobody wants to expose their playbook or players to injury, but teams comply anyway...seems awfully ballsy to me, and just as shady as "lying" on injury reports.
I think it's pill time...Relax,Relax, your getting sleepy..sleepy....

Whats worse.....siting players in the preseason or sitting them in the regular season. Come the final week of the regular season teams sit players.

Kudos to Belichick for saving Brady from his own OL last night. The Pats were just dominated up front all night. Genius move to get the starters back in once they finally have the band back together and escape injury free.

'theplayer11 said:
it's called evaluating your roster against another team's starter..plus Pats play this Friday
Blame the schedule maker not Belichick. Also why did the NFL schedule Cleveland and Philly as the No. 3 preseason game, when they play eachother Week 1?

'Borat said:
'hotboyz said:
That is BS cop out! I kno we are all fans but that is horrible that they charge fans full price For that crap but
If fans don't want to pay full price, no one is forcing them to. Did someone forget to tell you?
Well, if they want to own season tickets they are being forced to buy the preseason games - although that is a seperate issue from the "point" of this thread.

I actually agree to a point with the OP. Every single team would be better off sitting the starters and just killing the clock as much as possible. The injury risk is so much more important than "reps" even if we're talking about the backups.

If every team just starts playing the last string and running the game out ASAP, the preseason becomes even more of a joke and it hurts the cash cow (television ratings and season ticket sales). Teams generally don't do it out of respect for the game and because there is a standard that is out there for what is acceptable. If everyone just does what is best for their team, preseason games won't even exist as we know it sooner rather than later.

I think they will eventually have to put in some sort of minimum like MLB does with spring training.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Bill is just doing what is smart.

It still astounds me how 19 year old kids can go to class, practice, and then go play a game on Saturday half way across the country but paid NFL players need 4 scrimmages...

Actually, none of it surprises me. Its hypocritic. The answer to all my questions is money. force season ticket holders to pay full price for 4 games that do nothing but get players hurt. The benefit is far exceeded by the harm for the sake of dollars.

'solorca said:
As a Panthers season ticket holder, I would have no problem with them starting a bunch of scrubs.
Too easy.
Too funny. Took me a sec, but I got it. Way to lighten the thread. I sell my preseason to visiting tourist. I recoop some of my money back that way and I enjoy sitting at home with the big TV. Like someone else said, there are always battles and backup evaluating that takes place. And best of all, it's still football.

I actually agree to a point with the OP. Every single team would be better off sitting the starters and just killing the clock as much as possible. The injury risk is so much more important than "reps" even if we're talking about the backups.

If every team just starts playing the last string and running the game out ASAP, the preseason becomes even more of a joke and it hurts the cash cow (television ratings and season ticket sales). Teams generally don't do it out of respect for the game and because there is a standard that is out there for what is acceptable. If everyone just does what is best for their team, preseason games won't even exist as we know it sooner rather than later.

I think they will eventually have to put in some sort of minimum like MLB does with spring training.
I think a lot of people here are missing the point(s). This has little or nothing to do with "respect for the game or standard of what is acceptable."Pre-season has certain purposes. To reacclimate your starters to game situations and get them ready for the season and more importantly, to evaluate the bottom half of your roster, depth needs, and make difficult decisions on who makes your final team.

Because those are the purposes pre-season games are not pretty and never have been. Yet they don't seem to hurt the cash now. And they arent going to when you look at the competition for TV ratings in August.

Now you can make the argument that pre-season is too long. Ok maybe it is. But that's a different point and really has little to do with the assertion in the OP that Belichick and NE are some how making a mockery of the pre-season by resting starters.

And please don't tell me that the NFL wants to shorten the pre-season and extend the regular season because of the fans and the BS that Goodell spews about wanting to address that as the #1 fan complaint. Its all about making even more money in the next TV deal if they can go to 18 games. If I'm the NFLPA, no way I agree to that without serious concessions on other issues.

Lastly, good point made earlier about basic concept of supply and demand. If season ticket holders think they are getting screwed, which they are, by having to pay full price for these games as part of the package then there is an easy solution. Don't buy the tickets. When enough people do this,then the owners will have to rethink their policy. But as long as they have enough people willing to fork over the cash, then it works for them and they will continue doing it.

I think a lot of people here are missing the point(s). This has little or nothing to do with "respect for the game or standard of what is acceptable."Pre-season has certain purposes. To reacclimate your starters to game situations and get them ready for the season and more importantly, to evaluate the bottom half of your roster, depth needs, and make difficult decisions on who makes your final team.

Because those are the purposes pre-season games are not pretty and never have been. Yet they don't seem to hurt the cash now. And they arent going to when you look at the competition for TV ratings in August.

Now you can make the argument that pre-season is too long. Ok maybe it is. But that's a different point and really has little to do with the assertion in the OP that Belichick and NE are some how making a mockery of the pre-season by resting starters.

And please don't tell me that the NFL wants to shorten the pre-season and extend the regular season because of the fans and the BS that Goodell spews about wanting to address that as the #1 fan complaint. Its all about making even more money in the next TV deal if they can go to 18 games. If I'm the NFLPA, no way I agree to that without serious concessions on other issues.

Lastly, good point made earlier about basic concept of supply and demand. If season ticket holders think they are getting screwed, which they are, by having to pay full price for these games as part of the package then there is an easy solution. Don't buy the tickets. When enough people do this,then the owners will have to rethink their policy. But as long as they have enough people willing to fork over the cash, then it works for them and they will continue doing it.
Maybe it's not a mockery of preseason, but it comes across as 'I don't like the schedule, so I'm not going to play my players'. Playing one series with the starters doesn't make them too tired for Friday. NE hadn't even played a game since the 9th, and it was their last home preseason game. I don't know if NBC and ESPN has scheduling rights to certain matchups in preseason like they do in the regular season, but ESPN and its advertisers certainly would have preferred having SOME marquee NE names out there last night rather than what they got. If Vick hadn't gotten hurt- again- they would have had little to say about last night's game. Andy Reid apparently screwed up by putting Vick on the field.Friday's game is also a locally broadcasted game, not national, so the audience is that much smaller.

Seems a little out of the ordinary for a coach to sit that much of the starting roster starting with the 2nd preseason game...even more when it's the first game of a 3-game stretch and if you're the home team.

Maybe it's not a mockery of preseason, but it comes across as 'I don't like the schedule, so I'm not going to play my players'. Playing one series with the starters doesn't make them too tired for Friday. NE hadn't even played a game since the 9th, and it was their last home preseason game. I don't know if NBC and ESPN has scheduling rights to certain matchups in preseason like they do in the regular season, but ESPN and its advertisers certainly would have preferred having SOME marquee NE names out there last night rather than what they got. If Vick hadn't gotten hurt- again- they would have had little to say about last night's game. Andy Reid apparently screwed up by putting Vick on the field.Friday's game is also a locally broadcasted game, not national, so the audience is that much smaller.

Seems a little out of the ordinary for a coach to sit that much of the starting roster starting with the 2nd preseason game...even more when it's the first game of a 3-game stretch and if you're the home team.
I'm starting to think you're fishing with this.Football coaches don't care who's paying for the advertising, or who payed the most money to air the broadcast.

They care about one thing. Winning the Super Bowl. You don't do that by playing your starters every preseason game. You do it by playing the guys you need to learn more about. They need to cut the roster down to 53. How can they do that without evaluating them in a game setting? And they only have four games to do it.

How is this not obvious to you?

Not fishing- it's a fair question. If this is so "normal" and smart, why aren't all the coaches doing it? There must be some rule that makes coaches feel obligated to play their starters for at least some part of the first three preseason games. Is it commish mandated? Agreement with the owners/NFLPA? For all the critical preseason injuries of year's past, there has never been a change of philosophy where a coach comes out and says 'I don't want to risk my starters, so the first team will only play in practice and preseason will strictly be for evaluation'. Certain players, yes. The last preseason game, sure.

Not fishing- it's a fair question. If this is so "normal" and smart, why aren't all the coaches doing it? There must be some rule that makes coaches feel obligated to play their starters for at least some part of the first three preseason games. Is it commish mandated? Agreement with the owners/NFLPA? For all the critical preseason injuries of year's past, there has never been a change of philosophy where a coach comes out and says 'I don't want to risk my starters, so the first team will only play in practice and preseason will strictly be for evaluation'. Certain players, yes. The last preseason game, sure.
:wall:

Wow. A bit surprised at this backlash.

As an observer, I was pleasantly surprised to see Mallett starting. It was great to see him in action against a starting defensive squad, and I'm sure the Pats coaches felt the same way. Also, it was an opportunity (if had played well) to boost his potential trade value. We've all seen plenty of Brady and he's obviously quite comfortable with most of his targets, so it seems smart to rest starters on a short week and avoid potential injury when wins and losses don't count.

Preseason is a time for teams to fine tune their play and chemistry, and for depth players to be evaluated. What coaches choose to focus on within this spectrum is their prerogative, imo, and they should do whatever is best for the team.

I don't get the season ticket ripoff argument. Season tickets have a price. You currently get 2 preseason and 8 regular season games. It's not like the season ticket price will go down if the package decreases to 9 or even 8 games. Would you feel better if the season ticket price remained the same but they printed $0 on the tickets for preseason games and $150 on the tickets for the other 8 games?

Maybe it's not a mockery of preseason, but it comes across as 'I don't like the schedule, so I'm not going to play my players'. Playing one series with the starters doesn't make them too tired for Friday. NE hadn't even played a game since the 9th, and it was their last home preseason game. I don't know if NBC and ESPN has scheduling rights to certain matchups in preseason like they do in the regular season, but ESPN and its advertisers certainly would have preferred having SOME marquee NE names out there last night rather than what they got. If Vick hadn't gotten hurt- again- they would have had little to say about last night's game. Andy Reid apparently screwed up by putting Vick on the field.Friday's game is also a locally broadcasted game, not national, so the audience is that much smaller.Seems a little out of the ordinary for a coach to sit that much of the starting roster starting with the 2nd preseason game...even more when it's the first game of a 3-game stretch and if you're the home team.
What?You really think Belichick alters what he thinks is the best preparation for his football team because "he doesnt like the pre-season schedule?" Or because the game is on MNF and a national broadcast as opposed to a local one. Or because it's a home game. Are you seriously talking about flex scheduling for pre-season games? Really?You really think TV executives and advertisers lose sleep over how many series starters play in one particular pre-season game? As if those contracts havent already been negotiated and signed and advertisers don't know what they are getting when they buy in. Here's a hint, you and I could be the starting QBs in a MNF pre-season game and as long as it says NFL it's still gonna get better ratings than anything else on a Monday night in August.As was posted above, you are either on a fishing expedition or out of touch with reality on this issue.

Wow. A bit surprised at this backlash.

As an observer, I was pleasantly surprised to see Mallett starting. It was great to see him in action against a starting defensive squad, and I'm sure the Pats coaches felt the same way. Also, it was an opportunity (if had played well) to boost his potential trade value. We've all seen plenty of Brady and he's obviously quite comfortable with most of his targets, so it seems smart to rest starters on a short week and avoid potential injury when wins and losses don't count.

Preseason is a time for teams to fine tune their play and chemistry, and for depth players to be evaluated. What coaches choose to focus on within this spectrum is their prerogative, imo, and they should do whatever is best for the team.
I think the reason preseason exists is to make more money by providing more content. The goal for each individual team is to get it over with healthy.

Not fishing- it's a fair question. If this is so "normal" and smart, why aren't all the coaches doing it? There must be some rule that makes coaches feel obligated to play their starters for at least some part of the first three preseason games. Is it commish mandated? Agreement with the owners/NFLPA?
There isn't a rule mandating any of it. Coaches can start whoever they want from their roster in any game they want. That's part of being a coach. The commissioner, the NFLPA, other team's owners, etc... cannot dictate who a team plays and how long they play. And other teams do bench their starters during preseason. Most just usually wait for week 4. Why do people care whether the pats starters play during a crappy preseason game anyway?

Maybe it's not a mockery of preseason, but it comes across as 'I don't like the schedule, so I'm not going to play my players'. Playing one series with the starters doesn't make them too tired for Friday. NE hadn't even played a game since the 9th, and it was their last home preseason game. I don't know if NBC and ESPN has scheduling rights to certain matchups in preseason like they do in the regular season, but ESPN and its advertisers certainly would have preferred having SOME marquee NE names out there last night rather than what they got. If Vick hadn't gotten hurt- again- they would have had little to say about last night's game. Andy Reid apparently screwed up by putting Vick on the field.

Friday's game is also a locally broadcasted game, not national, so the audience is that much smaller.

What?You really think Belichick alters what he thinks is the best preparation for his football team because "he doesnt like the pre-season schedule?" Or because the game is on MNF and a national broadcast as opposed to a local one. Or because it's a home game. Are you seriously talking about flex scheduling for pre-season games? Really?

You really think TV executives and advertisers lose sleep over how many series starters play in one particular pre-season game? As if those contracts havent already been negotiated and signed and advertisers don't know what they are getting when they buy in. Here's a hint, you and I could be the starting QBs in a MNF pre-season game and as long as it says NFL it's still gonna get better ratings than anything else on a Monday night in August.

As was posted above, you are either on a fishing expedition or out of touch with reality on this issue.
The Boston Herald explicitly reported that 28 starters were sitting because the Pats had to play 3 games in 10 days (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000052415/article/tom-brady-other-patriots-stars-to-sit-vs-eagles)...and the reason given for Brady and other starters on the report was 'rest'. So the schedule is definitely the point.

Maybe it's not a mockery of preseason, but it comes across as 'I don't like the schedule, so I'm not going to play my players'. Playing one series with the starters doesn't make them too tired for Friday. NE hadn't even played a game since the 9th, and it was their last home preseason game. I don't know if NBC and ESPN has scheduling rights to certain matchups in preseason like they do in the regular season, but ESPN and its advertisers certainly would have preferred having SOME marquee NE names out there last night rather than what they got. If Vick hadn't gotten hurt- again- they would have had little to say about last night's game. Andy Reid apparently screwed up by putting Vick on the field.

Friday's game is also a locally broadcasted game, not national, so the audience is that much smaller.

What?You really think Belichick alters what he thinks is the best preparation for his football team because "he doesnt like the pre-season schedule?" Or because the game is on MNF and a national broadcast as opposed to a local one. Or because it's a home game. Are you seriously talking about flex scheduling for pre-season games? Really?

You really think TV executives and advertisers lose sleep over how many series starters play in one particular pre-season game? As if those contracts havent already been negotiated and signed and advertisers don't know what they are getting when they buy in. Here's a hint, you and I could be the starting QBs in a MNF pre-season game and as long as it says NFL it's still gonna get better ratings than anything else on a Monday night in August.

As was posted above, you are either on a fishing expedition or out of touch with reality on this issue.
The Boston Herald explicitly reported that 28 starters were sitting because the Pats had to play 3 games in 10 days (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000052415/article/tom-brady-other-patriots-stars-to-sit-vs-eagles)...and the reason given for Brady and other starters on the report was 'rest'. So the schedule is definitely the point.
:wall: You are dense.

Because a coach takes the schedule into consideration when preparing his team does not mean that he rested his starters because he, "didnt like" the schedule. It means that's what he thought was the best approach.

NOBODY has a problem with it except for a few small minded posters on an internet message board.

Lesson learned: Belichick knows best, never question him.

The sensitivity in this thread is off the charts. Seems logical that a number of people interested in how Lloyd is going to be used in this offense and the use of Hernandez as a RB would have led to some disappointment in what was presented last night.

Users who are viewing this thread