What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Benching Your Studs for the W16 Super Bowl (1 Viewer)

cobalt_27

Footballguy
Was a fascinating discussion last week with wonderfully bizarre arguments about benching Aaron Rodgers for Josh Freeman. Is there a reprise for Week 16? Are folks considering benching Rodgers again? Peterson? Calvin?

Maybe not so "kooky" ... but Reggie Wayne has but one TD in his last six, only topping 100 yds. once in that span. He has been consistently in the low double digits though ... but even with KC on the horizon, I am looking to get Lloyd in there instead after last week's bust out. Gotta love the Pats off a loss vs. Jax. Pedal to the metal, no?

Would be wr3 (Calvin/Cruz) ... worth the shot.

Seriously thinking about benching Martin. Something's up with that showing last week against NO's league worst rush defense.

I'm starting my studs, but I understand otb_lifer's concern. One of the more useful paid features here is Who's Hot. In fantasy football, like the real thing, it's who's hot at the end that wins championships.

Maybe not so "kooky" ... but Reggie Wayne has but one TD in his last six, only topping 100 yds. once in that span. He has been consistently in the low double digits though ... but even with KC on the horizon, I am looking to get Lloyd in there instead after last week's bust out. Gotta love the Pats off a loss vs. Jax. Pedal to the metal, no?Would be wr3 (Calvin/Cruz) ... worth the shot.
I was just looking at Wayne and thinking about this. Probably won't happen, but was considering Garcon.

Wayne is a guy I'm sure a lot of people are looking at pretty hard right now. Such a great season but very luke-warm right now and people that have him are probably likely to have the C. Givens, Amendolas, Morenos, etc, types of the world that are quite a bit hotter right now.

Was a fascinating discussion last week with wonderfully bizarre arguments about benching Aaron Rodgers for Josh Freeman. Is there a reprise for Week 16? Are folks considering benching Rodgers again? Peterson? Calvin?
Peterson? Calvin?Why would anyone bench those guys? Maybe in leagues that only start 0 RBs or WRs, but I don't think they generally apply to your question. People benched Rodgers last week because there was a possibility that they had a better QB option. There aren't 2 or 3 better RB/WR options than AP and Calvin going into Sunday.

I'm going with the guys who got me here. Period. I learned my lesson a long time ago. One time I picked up Bobby Hebert because my stud QB had a tough matchup and he was going against the worst passing defense in the league in what looked like a shootout. The result? SIX picks. So -12 out of the gate. I think he ended up with -2, while my QB1 had 22. I lost by 4 points.

Unless I have an outside influence like 40MPH winds I'm going with the lineup that got me to the dance.

Anybody who benches the uber elite like Rodgers/Brady/Brees/AP/Foster/Calvin etc just deserves to lose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not going to bench my studs. No way. If my team craps the bed, I can smile and live with it. They got me to the big game. It's about loyalty, but moreso not feeling like I made a bonehead call based on matchups starting a Freeman over a Ryan or some other nonsense. Chips fall where they may and don't stress. Go with the brand names in wk 16. :coffee:

The toughest part is defining who your studs are. Guys like Peterson and Calvin aren't hitting anyone's bench this week. What about guys like Danario Alexander or Reggie Wayne though? They've had points in this season where they were playing like studs, but recent performance has shown otherwise.

My own dilemma this week is Brandon Lloyd vs DX. Right now I'm leaning Lloyd because I need solid double digit points more than I need a boom/bust kind of play from my WR2.

If team had its seed wrapped up and looked like they would rest the guy (or have a history of same) I would consider it - but I don't see any NFL teams in that situation. I suppose you could, say, bench Foster for Leshoure if you were comfortable looking like either a genius or total idiot (I'm thinking idiot is heavy favorite).

Speaking for myself, I think I am going with all the guys that got me there - David Wilson last week was enough foolery for a postseason.

-QG

I have benched him before, but I am likely benching Marshawn Lynch in week 16.

He has a tough matchup with San Fran, and it's a PPR league where I can get burned if he doesn't have a touchdown or a huge rushing day.

I'll be starting Demarco Murray and Darren Mcfadden over him at RB. I'll be deciding between Lynch, Nicks, Stevie Johnson, and Crabtree for my flex spot...but I most likely will pick one of the receivers.

I'm benching Wayne & Richardson.

TRich said himself that he can't stiff arm and be physical due to his ribs (especially when running left). TDs are flukey and I could see Cle falling behind. Wayne is fading.

I'm going with Murray over TRich and I'm going with Cobb or Nicks over Wayne. I'm in a 12 team league and I've aquired a bunch of 2nd Tier Talent so I have some flexibility. I have no un-benchable studs on my roster.

I have benched him before, but I am likely benching Marshawn Lynch in week 16.He has a tough matchup with San Fran, and it's a PPR league where I can get burned if he doesn't have a touchdown or a huge rushing day. I'll be starting Demarco Murray and Darren Mcfadden over him at RB. I'll be deciding between Lynch, Nicks, Stevie Johnson, and Crabtree for my flex spot...but I most likely will pick one of the receivers.
I think you're crazy. My God man, get Lynch in your lineup, at least as a flex over those options.

Why is everyone worried about Rice against the 28th ranked Giants? :rolleyes:
The Giants have given up the 10th fewest point to fantasy RBs this season. They also play notoriously tougher this time of year (last week notwithstanding).Add in that the Ravens O has looked bad lately, and you have at least my list of concerns.Gonna be hard to actually pull the trigger but with Alfred Morris and DWill (vs Oak) on my bench, I'm tempted to sit RR this week.

Why is everyone worried about Rice against the 28th ranked Giants? :rolleyes:
The Giants have given up the 10th fewest point to fantasy RBs this season. They also play notoriously tougher this time of year (last week notwithstanding).Add in that the Ravens O has looked bad lately, and you have at least my list of concerns.Gonna be hard to actually pull the trigger but with Alfred Morris and DWill (vs Oak) on my bench, I'm tempted to sit RR this week.
You make a point, but you have to look closely at who they've played: Turner hasn't done much lately and scored a TD, Saints' committee (Sproles scored 22 points), Morris (124 yards), They did shut down Green-Ellis, Redman (147 yards).I'll give you that the Ravens offense has looked terrible, however look at games after the Ravens and Rice have been terrible: Bad game against the Texans, followed by just under 100 yards and a TD against the Browns. Mediocre game against the Steelers followed by a 164 combined yard performance (97 on the ground) against the Chargers. Then the big game against the Skins game after the second Steelers game.If you've owned Rice and followed him in the past, he (and the Ravens) are notorious for putting up big games after a clunker. It does depend on your backup options, but I will never sit a workhorse RB in the finals, ESPECIALLY when his backup has a concussion and won't play.

Maybe not so "kooky" ... but Reggie Wayne has but one TD in his last six, only topping 100 yds. once in that span. He has been consistently in the low double digits though ... but even with KC on the horizon, I am looking to get Lloyd in there instead after last week's bust out. Gotta love the Pats off a loss vs. Jax. Pedal to the metal, no?Would be wr3 (Calvin/Cruz) ... worth the shot.
I was just looking at Wayne and thinking about this. Probably won't happen, but was considering Garcon.
Same here. Considering Garcon and Amendola over him. Both have been pretty hot and have good looking matchups.

Thinking about benching McFadden for either Ballard or Reggie Bush

Probably benching Colston for Steve Smith....

ETA: PPR

I have benched him before, but I am likely benching Marshawn Lynch in week 16.He has a tough matchup with San Fran, and it's a PPR league where I can get burned if he doesn't have a touchdown or a huge rushing day. I'll be starting Demarco Murray and Darren Mcfadden over him at RB. I'll be deciding between Lynch, Nicks, Stevie Johnson, and Crabtree for my flex spot...but I most likely will pick one of the receivers.
Both the RB's you listed have good matchups but I think it's insane to not at least play Lynch at flex. Lynch scored 12 against SF earlier this year and last year in wk 16 had 19 against SF. Since wk 7 hes only had one game with less then 12 points. Hes the #4 rb in fantasy scoring right now. Seatlle has scored 50 points in there last 2 games and are arguably one of the hottest teams right now. Im playing Lynch with confidence. He got me here, and im strapping my wagon to him. But to each there own.

Some were drafted to be studs..but have not been very studly this season. Go with the hot hand.

'redjake said:
Seriously thinking about benching Martin. Something's up with that showing last week against NO's league worst rush defense.
That had a lot to do with Josh Freeman giving the other team the ball five times.And what good is a "stud" if you can't bench him in the playoffs.

A week or two ago and I would have considered starting guys like Garcon, Alexander, Bryce, etc. A lot of my guys have tough matches and ? like Lynch, Richardson, Calvin, and Dez Bryant. I have chosen to play Bryce over Lynch and Alexander over Bryant in the past. However, after Alexander got me zero points last week I'm feeling like I'll play my studs this week and hope they overcome their obstacles.

'solorca said:
I could see that logic if the game was at Candlestick.No way am I benching Lynch at home, versus anyone, after the team has scored 108 points in the last two games.

'redjake said:
Maybe it had something to do with Freeman having his worst game of the season and the Bucs abandoning the run?

'solorca said:
I could see that logic if the game was at Candlestick.No way am I benching Lynch at home, versus anyone, after the team has scored 108 points in the last two games.
I'm also rolling with Marshawn - no hesitation. He's been matchup proof all year and the Hawks will be frothing at the mouth in this game. I foresee a minimum of 20 touches for Beast Mode - with a great shot at a TD.

'redjake said:
That had a lot to do with Josh Freeman giving the other team the ball five times.
And, Freeman's still the QB.
And Drew Brees is still the QB when he had 5 interceptions. Yeah yeah yeah, Freeman isn't Drew Brees, but the chances of Freeman putting up a stinker like that at home are low.

AP is going for 2,000 yards and a league record. Same with Megatron.

You'd have to literally know absolutely nothing about football to suggest they be benched.

'Judge Smails said:
I'm going with the guys who got me here. Period. I learned my lesson a long time ago. One time I picked up Bobby Hebert because my stud QB had a tough matchup and he was going against the worst passing defense in the league in what looked like a shootout. The result? SIX picks. So -12 out of the gate. I think he ended up with -2, while my QB1 had 22. I lost by 4 points.Unless I have an outside influence like 40MPH winds I'm going with the lineup that got me to the dance.Anybody who benches the uber elite like Rodgers/Brady/Brees/AP/Foster/Calvin etc just deserves to lose.
This is the correct answer. All of it.

'tonka said:
Finding it hard to not bench either Ray Rice or Trent Richardson for Knowshon Moreno.
Hint: Moreno is more of a stud than Rice or Richardson right now.
Now, this is the wrong answer. Well, perhaps an argument can be made for him over Trent. I wouldn't, but it's not split the sides laughable to do so.But, seriously, you cannot bench Ray Rice for Moreno. I mean, retire from fantasy football and pick up gum from the sidewalks if you do this.

I don't know what Chris Johnson is at this point, but I am currently benching him for Vick Ballard.

'redjake said:
That had a lot to do with Josh Freeman giving the other team the ball five times.
And, Freeman's still the QB.
And Drew Brees is still the QB when he had 5 interceptions. Yeah yeah yeah, Freeman isn't Drew Brees, but the chances of Freeman putting up a stinker like that at home are low.
The blueprint is there for STL. And they're better equipped to execute it.It's worth thinking about, anyway.

'Tchula said:
Are you considering playing "hot" players on Seattle's offense going up against SF D?
Yes, Lynch is nearly matchup proof in that offense.
Different season, but never forget Week 16 last season. Same scenario. Lynch put up 21/107/1 rushing and 2/24/0 receiving on the 49ers D, and there were plenty of people shutting him down that week. He likely contributed to a championship if you just stuck with him. Don't bench guys like Lynch unless you have like 4-5 RB1/2's.

'Tchula said:
Are you considering playing "hot" players on Seattle's offense going up against SF D?
Different season, but never forget Week 16 last season. Same scenario. Lynch put up 21/107/1 rushing and 2/24/0 receiving on the 49ers D, and there were plenty of people shutting him down that week. He likely contributed to a championship if you just stuck with him. Don't bench guys like Lynch unless you have like 4-5 RB1/2's.
Its almost like the people who have Lynch have been so spoiled by his consistency that they haven't even been paying attention to how good hes been this year.

'Tchula said:
:goodposting: It's remarkable to me. It's as though, when the stakes are highest, people get more amnestic (or dumber). People try to get cute with this, benching Rodgers for Freeman, Rice for Moreno, Lynch for MM [his 54 points projection from Dodds, etc. ;) ]

I don't own Lynch, but he's one of about 10 FF players I'd never bench.

You drafted these players in Round 1 to be your stud. Don't over think things like benching Lynch for Moreno because it's a decision that you'll regret and have an entire offseason to think about it if it costs you your week.

I've owned Lynch the past two seasons, and as I mentioned above I am considering benching him. Here is my reasoning and thoughts...

At RB I have Lynch, along with Demarco Murray and Darren Mcfadden. This is a PPR league, so Murray and Mcfadden both have the benefit of more usage in the passing game, so they are more likely to have guaranteed points. Murray is a must start this week because he's been playing well and the Saints matchup is great. Mcfadden has a matchup that is scaring me more and more as the week goes on, because Carolina has been playing well and getting out to big leads. Mike Goodson also worries me a little bit, as he's been involved and is playing his former team. WIth that said, a day of 50 yards and 4 catches for 30 yards is still a 12 point fantasy day. On the other hand, Marshawn Lynch could rush for 115 yards and 1 catch for 10 yards, and only end up with 13.5 points...even in a week where he has a very good game. Everything relies on the touchdown for him to give me a solid game, while Murray and Mcfadden could each not score and still give me a very good 15+ point game. That's much less likely with Lynch.

So, because of that, I'm leaning toward Murray and Mcfadden.

Now, moving on to the flex spot (I am already starting Marshall and Garcon at WR), I have to choose between Lynch, Crabtree, Nicks, and Stevie Johnson. Crabtree has been on fire and could be playing against a Seattle team without Richard Sherman. Stevie Johnson has also been playing well and has a juicy matchup against the Dolphins. Nicks has been playing at a much lower level, but I've started him all season while waiting for the big game, and I have a gut feeling that it's coming this week.

When I break it down, I see this as a high possibiility...

Stevie Johnson - 15+ fantasy points (6 catches, 90 yards, maybe a touchdown)

Michael Crabtree - 15+ fantasy points (assuming Sherman is out, 7 catches, 80 yards, maybe a touchdown)

Hakeem Nicks - ??? points (upside gamble)

Marshawn Lynch would need a very nice game to equal what I expect out of those two, and based on the off chance that the 49ers hold him to limited yards or without a score, his floor is much lower than what I expect out of those other options (and Murray/Mcfadden).

Right now, my plan is to start Murray, Mcfadden, Marshall, and Garcon with Michael Crabtree in my flex. This gives me the option to switch to Lynch if I change my mind prior to the Sunday night game.

Maybe I'm crazy for considering benching Lynch, but I think my reasoning is solid. Playing in a PPR league makes it a little harder to just assume that Lynch will be a stud every week (there have been a number of weeks where his performance has been average at best).

I don't own Lynch, but he's one of about 10 FF players I'd never bench.You drafted these players in Round 1 to be your stud. Don't over think things like benching Lynch for Moreno because it's a decision that you'll regret and have an entire offseason to think about it if it costs you your week.
Last year my loss in the championship was largely due to benching Bradshaw for Bell, who got stuff at the 1 yard line several times :wall:This year it will likely be due to benching Charles for Murray. A little bit different degree, as both are top 15 backs.

Even in my PPR league, Lynch is 6th in total RB scoring and 7th in weekly RB scoring. Pretty tough to consider benching him with everything on the line. Of course I'm considering doing the same with TRich who is 5th and 5th so matchups do sometimes play a role even with studs. Still Lynch has put up over 100 the last 2 meetings with San Fran so he's still a pretty good safe option in any format even with this matchup. He's also one of the top goal line backs in the league so it would take 2 very compelling options to get me to ever consider benching Lynch in this spot.

Users who are viewing this thread