What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bengals fire defensive cordinator (1 Viewer)

TD32

Footballguy
Bengals have fired defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan.

Also Linebacker coach.

Heard on radio. No Link.

I wasn't aware anyone actually attempted to coordinate the Bengals defense.

I thought they just sent 11 guys out there and told them to run around a bit.

Seriously, 2 idiotic firings in attempt to save the higher ups' jobs.

Blame it on the linebacker coordinator--when he didn't have any linebackers?

Blame it on the defensive coordinator--again, not the proper personnel. It'll be a damn shame if Marvin Lewis walks out of all of this with a job.

Firings on the coaching staff are always bittersweet for me. On one hand, I'm excited to see the team go in a different direction after yet another inconsistent season. On the other hand, who wants to come to a team with a history of poor discipline, the thinnest scouting department in the league and that cannot attract a prime free agent and prefers not to sign them if they could. In this case, two decent names are being floated as viable candidates. Both guys, Donnie Henderson and Tim Lewis, were a part of some very good defenses as coaches and coordinators before flopping in recent seasons with inconsistency and passivity in their schemes. Either would fit with Marvin Lewis' preferred read and react style. Both have enough experience with 3-4 schemes that they could work in any future multiple front/3-4 plans if Marvin finally decides to make good on those rumors.

Hoping for the best here. Assuming some healthy personnel, I suppose it can't be much worse.

Bring in Ryan from the Ravens...
Not going to happen...Baltimore retained Ryan as the only coach from the Billick regime. He's going to be given a chance to earn the HC job and, if he doesn't win it, the book is he's going to be retained as the DC unless the new HC insists otherwise.

Not going to happen...Baltimore retained Ryan as the only coach from the Billick regime. He's going to be given a chance to earn the HC job and, if he doesn't win it, the book is he's going to be retained as the DC unless the new HC insists otherwise.
From the Footballguys blogger:ESPN is reporting the Baltimore Ravens team owner Steve Bisciotti has fired the team's entire coaching staff, in addition to the recently-reported firing of head coach Brian Billick. "I believed that it was time for a change, I believed that we have the nucleus of a team that can get back to the Super Bowl, and we felt that in the next five years we had a better chance with a new coach than leaving Brian in that position," Bisciotti said.

So which is it?????

From the Footballguys blogger:ESPN is reporting the Baltimore Ravens team owner Steve Bisciotti has fired the team's entire coaching staff, in addition to the recently-reported firing of head coach Brian Billick. "I believed that it was time for a change, I believed that we have the nucleus of a team that can get back to the Super Bowl, and we felt that in the next five years we had a better chance with a new coach than leaving Brian in that position," Bisciotti said.

So which is it?????
:censored: Seems you are correct...he was fired 24 hours later. Wow.http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3175037

So which is it?????
Little of both. Ryan is technically not on the Raven coaching staff right now. But Woodrow's correct in that the Ravens can block Ryan from any lateral moves this season as he's under contract for 2008. They would more likely to do so inside the division. If Ryan isn't offered a head coaching gig, it could be either the Ravens or nobody, depending on how the new HC feels about letting Ryan out of the terms of the contract.Baltimore Sun

As the Ravens began making calls today to request interviews for prospective head coaching candidates, Rex Ryan sat in his office down the hall uncertain about his future.

Ryan, who was let go as defensive coordinator along with the rest of the Ravens staff, is still allowed to return to his office at team headquarters, where he is in career limbo.

He hasn't heard from the Ravens about when he will be interviewed for Brian Billick's former job, although general manager Ozzie Newsome said this week that Ryan is on the team's list.

There is a chance Ryan could return as defensive coordinator if he doesn't become a head coach.

That decision would ultimately be made by the Ravens' new coach, but Ryan doesn't want to work "for just anybody."

"If it's the right kind of person, maybe I would listen, because this has been a special place for me," Ryan said. "But I'm definitely not going to sell myself short."

Although Ryan was fired, he technically has a year remaining on his contract. The Ravens might be able to block him from taking another defensive coordinator job under league rules.

But the Ravens couldn't stop him from becoming a head coach, because it's a promotion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoping to see Brat get fired next and promote Zampese to OC. Not sure where Zampese is contract-wise.

I'm guessing Donnie Henderson will take over as the defensive coordinator. He was brought in to loom around eerily similar to how Bresnihan was before Frazier was fired. I'm not sure if I like Henderson or not, but as Jene said it can't be much worse.

Hoping to see Brat get fired next and promote Zampese to OC. Not sure where Zampese is contract-wise.

I'm guessing Donnie Henderson will take over as the defensive coordinator. He was brought in to loom around eerily similar to how Bresnihan was before Frazier was fired. I'm not sure if I like Henderson or not, but as Jene said it can't be much worse.
That's a good point. I had forgotten that Bresnahan was a lurker before getting the job. And I totally agree on the Zampese deal. Can't imagine that guy would be signing those goofy one year contract extensions for future seasons with a number of other teams pursuing him. Do you know anything about his contract situation? I haven't seen anything that looked definitive. He's going to be gone when his contract is up and he seems to have Palmer's trust.

Do you mind explaining why? Since the offense has generally been pretty good in recent years (11th in PF this year, 8th last year), I find this surprising.
Seriously, 2 idiotic firings in attempt to save the higher ups' jobs.Blame it on the linebacker coordinator--when he didn't have any linebackers?Blame it on the defensive coordinator--again, not the proper personnel. It'll be a damn shame if Marvin Lewis walks out of all of this with a job.
:thumbup: About like Detroit firing their OC after their defense finished 32nd and 30th in PA in 2007 and 2006. Or the Rams firing their director of college scouting after 1 year on the job in which he has zero say on who actually gets acquired. And if your team can be compared to those colossally inept franchises like Detroit and StLouis . . .T'is the season to be scapegoating!

Seriously, 2 idiotic firings in attempt to save the higher ups' jobs.Blame it on the linebacker coordinator--when he didn't have any linebackers?Blame it on the defensive coordinator--again, not the proper personnel. It'll be a damn shame if Marvin Lewis walks out of all of this with a job.
Hunley's firing is probably related to the slow development of Ahmad Brooks, who had yet to become the consistent every down, impact player they hoped they were getting. In fact, he appeared to regress after a very nice two game start in 2006. No argument with the fact that injuries have killed this position more than any other, but I'd bet the Brooks deal was a major factor.Bresnahan's firing is a little more obvious -- possibly :unsure: . Moving your only semi-consistent pass rusher around is one thing. Making Robert Geathers a DE, bulked up DT and SLB in the span of three seasons is just dumb. Asking your young corners to play more zone than bump and run when they aren't very good zone corners is a mistake. They'll have growing pains, sure, but nearly all young corners do. I heard Fulcher sum it up very well last week -- you can't force the players into a scheme, you have to fit the scheme to your players.I'm not apologizing for Lewis by the way. He's just as culpable for some of the above issues. But a head coach signed through 2010 in an organization run by Mike Brown is not going anywhere. Whether it's deserved or not, it just isn't going to happen.

Do you mind explaining why? Since the offense has generally been pretty good in recent years (11th in PF this year, 8th last year), I find this surprising.
Not to speak for Rushmore, but I'd like to see an OC with a smarter and less predictable gameplan. Too many times this season, the Bengals gave up on the run when it was working -- not just when the OL was struggling -- and forced themselves into 2nd and 3rd and long situations. Couple that with Palmer trying to get rid of the ball more quickly to avoid taking a sack and the deep routes and timing routes that made this offense tick weren't useful. It certainly appears that Kenny Watson could've been a bigger part of the offense earlier in the year. And Bratkowski has to share the blame for the red zone ineptitude this season.

So which is it?????
Little of both. Ryan is technically not on the Raven coaching staff right now. But Woodrow's correct in that the Ravens can block Ryan from any lateral moves this season as he's under contract for 2008. They would more likely to do so inside the division. If Ryan isn't offered a head coaching gig, it could be either the Ravens or nobody, depending on how the new HC feels about letting Ryan out of the terms of the contract.Baltimore Sun

As the Ravens began making calls today to request interviews for prospective head coaching candidates, Rex Ryan sat in his office down the hall uncertain about his future.

Ryan, who was let go as defensive coordinator along with the rest of the Ravens staff, is still allowed to return to his office at team headquarters, where he is in career limbo.

He hasn't heard from the Ravens about when he will be interviewed for Brian Billick's former job, although general manager Ozzie Newsome said this week that Ryan is on the team's list.

There is a chance Ryan could return as defensive coordinator if he doesn't become a head coach.

That decision would ultimately be made by the Ravens' new coach, but Ryan doesn't want to work "for just anybody."

"If it's the right kind of person, maybe I would listen, because this has been a special place for me," Ryan said. "But I'm definitely not going to sell myself short."

Although Ryan was fired, he technically has a year remaining on his contract. The Ravens might be able to block him from taking another defensive coordinator job under league rules.

But the Ravens couldn't stop him from becoming a head coach, because it's a promotion.
The Baltimore Sun is incorrect - if they fired him, then they terminated his contract which allows him to go work for whoever he wants.

I have feelings on both sides on this. If you just break down the numbers.......the Bengals since Lewis took over have been a better team than prior to when he got there.However, I'm not sure I'm sold on that fact alone because IMO, they do have a lot of talent and probably should be doing better at this point.What bothers me the most though is that he hung his hat on him creating the Baltimore defense that won the SB and one of the best defenses of all time. So, with Carson Palmer, Rudi Johnson, TJ Housh and C. Johnson you can't find a way to make the playoffs when slightly above average gets you in?If Cinci would have any sort of defense, they'd be a SB threat, instead they're a waste of offensive talent. Whether you want to blame Marvin Lewis for it or just give him credit for being better than they were when he first arrived.Either way, I'm disappointed in the fact he can't put together a defense after what I saw in Baltimore.

Not to speak for Rushmore, but I'd like to see an OC with a smarter and less predictable gameplan. Too many times this season, the Bengals gave up on the run when it was working -- not just when the OL was struggling -- and forced themselves into 2nd and 3rd and long situations. Couple that with Palmer trying to get rid of the ball more quickly to avoid taking a sack and the deep routes and timing routes that made this offense tick weren't useful. It certainly appears that Kenny Watson could've been a bigger part of the offense earlier in the year. And Bratkowski has to share the blame for the red zone ineptitude this season.
No problem, because I totally agree. And my criticism of Brat didn't just start this season as things started going bad for the team. He's been notorious for these issues for a while now. I remember the home game vs. the Steelers last year when we were pounding the ball with Rudi and had @ 80 yards on the ground in the first half. We came out and totally abandoned the run and seemed to almost panic when the Steelers got a small lead on us. One of the biggest examples of this was the home game vs. San Diego last season. Letting them come back on us in the second half was ridiculous. Much of the blame could be put on the Defense in that game too, but not running the ball with a substantial lead in the second half kept time on the clock for them to come back. And with the weapons that this offense has at it's disposal, a little creativity would be nice. His idea of creative seems to be running the draw play to Kenny Watson on 3rd and long situations, which has become very predictable during his tenure.

Wow, talk about a scapegoat!

How Lewis keeps this job is beyond me. He shouldve been canned at 12:01 Monday morning

I am baffled by some of the comments here.... "they fired the wrong guy"... "idiotic".... "scapegoat"...

Let's be absolutely clear about this. Chuck Bresnahan is a horrible defensive coordinator who has screwed up every defense he has ever coached. He was a horrible defensive coordinator for the Raiders whose units consistently had breakdown after breakdown and when he went to the Bengals I knew he was going to do exactly the same to them.

I can't put it any clearer than this: his defenses never seem to know what they are meant to be doing.

Now, without doubt he has had bad luck with personnel and injuries at Cincinnati, but c'mon. Good coaches inspire their defenses to overcome misfortune.

I am baffled by some of the comments here.... "they fired the wrong guy"... "idiotic".... "scapegoat"... Let's be absolutely clear about this. Chuck Bresnahan is a horrible defensive coordinator who has screwed up every defense he has ever coached. He was a horrible defensive coordinator for the Raiders whose units consistently had breakdown after breakdown and when he went to the Bengals I knew he was going to do exactly the same to them.I can't put it any clearer than this: his defenses never seem to know what they are meant to be doing.Now, without doubt he has had bad luck with personnel and injuries at Cincinnati, but c'mon. Good coaches inspire their defenses to overcome misfortune.
:goodposting: I can assure you, no Raider fan posted any of those comments.Bres is a terrible DC.

I am baffled by some of the comments here.... "they fired the wrong guy"... "idiotic".... "scapegoat"... Let's be absolutely clear about this. Chuck Bresnahan is a horrible defensive coordinator who has screwed up every defense he has ever coached. He was a horrible defensive coordinator for the Raiders whose units consistently had breakdown after breakdown and when he went to the Bengals I knew he was going to do exactly the same to them.I can't put it any clearer than this: his defenses never seem to know what they are meant to be doing.Now, without doubt he has had bad luck with personnel and injuries at Cincinnati, but c'mon. Good coaches inspire their defenses to overcome misfortune.
And who hired him and trusted him to run his defense?The problems wont leave with Bresnahan.

Atlanta DC Zimmer given permission to interview for the CIN DC position. I think this would be a great pickup for the Bengals, the ATL D was really solid this year til injuries on the DL struck, a fact that got lost in the offensive ineptitude.

Link

Users who are viewing this thread