What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bengals Update (1 Viewer)

As a Bengals fan does this worry you? I mean a lot of stuff has gone down with this team over the past year. I reserve comment because I'm not tuned into what is going on with them a whole lot but I think I'd be concerned if it were my team.

Really, the only two I'm worried about losing are Thurman and Henry. All of the other people who had run-ins are dipensible, and they weren't very serious issues. I'm glad that it looks like Marvin is going to take some sort of action.

Losing Thurman could lead to the rising of Ahmad Brooks in the future.

1 Year suspension for Thurman. Good riddance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bengals LB Rucker to IR, LB Thurman gone 1 year

Written by: Mark Curnutte ¦ 9/27/2006

Source: frontier.cincinnati.com

The Bengals have just announced the signing of linebacker Andre Frazier, that rookie defensive end Frostee Rucker (shoulder) has been placed on the season-ending injured reserve list and that linebacker Odell Thurman's suspension has been extended to one year.

Rucker suffered the shoulder injury Sept. 13 and was on the team's inactive list for its first three games.

Thurman is eligible to apply for reinstatement prior to the start of training camp next year, Bengals public relations director Jack Brennan said.

Thurman was suspended because of his third violation of the leagye substance abuse policy. The NFL informed the Bengals of the suspension today.

On Monday, by the time media was allowed in the locker room to talk to players at 3:15, Thurman's locker had been cleaned out. Practice squad offensive lineman Kyle Takavitz was moved into the locker, and linebacker David Pollack -- though out for the season with a broken neck -- regained his locker.

Pollack was in the Bengals trainer's room this morning. He was wearing his halo neck brace.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com

Palmer and wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh said that other players have spoken to troubled teammates, such as Thurman and wide receiver Chris Henry, reportedly in the car with Thurman.
good grief.other than the fact that he made Thurman drive, it doesn't sound like Henry is staying out of trouble either.also, why is the 4-gamer served concurrently with the 16 game suspension? why isn't it 20 games?

Palmer and wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh said that other players have spoken to troubled teammates, such as Thurman and wide receiver Chris Henry, reportedly in the car with Thurman.
good grief.other than the fact that he made Thurman drive, it doesn't sound like Henry is staying out of trouble either.
Henry owes his job to his persuasive skillz.

I doubt he's going to get released - they're just cleaning out his locker for the year. I wish Marvin would cut him, but I'm not sure he wants to take the chance on having to play against him in the future, assuming he straightens up. Still, he needs to make an example out of somebody.

Andre Frazier added to fill Thurmann's spot.

He's not spectacular but he was a very solid backup guy for the Steelers. I was kind of bummed he didn't make the 53 cut. It's a nice addition for Cincy.

AhrnCityPahnder said:
Andre Frazier added to fill Thurmann's spot.He's not spectacular but he was a very solid backup guy for the Steelers. I was kind of bummed he didn't make the 53 cut. It's a nice addition for Cincy.
:goodposting: I agree here.Too bad about Odell, but if you draft bad people, bad things usually happen.

The best par of the article is this quote by TJ Housh about dillon...

He let Rudi (Johnson) play because he wanted out; I don’t think it was much (because) he was injured. He wanted out of here, so his best way he get that out - talking didn’t do it, ‘Trade me’ didn’t work out, so the best way was 'Rudi go play. If you show them you can play, they’ll let me go.' ”
How did Dillon "let" Rudi play? Faking an injury?

Im not worried, it doesnt bother me, i would prefer if they dont release thurman or henry, but the team will win with or without them.

AhrnCityPahnder said:
Andre Frazier added to fill Thurmann's spot.He's not spectacular but he was a very solid backup guy for the Steelers. I was kind of bummed he didn't make the 53 cut. It's a nice addition for Cincy.
:goodposting: I agree here.Too bad about Odell, but if you draft bad people, bad things usually happen.
if 3-0 is bad...then i dont wanna be good.

amnesiac said:
good grief.other than the fact that he made Thurman drive, it doesn't sound like Henry is staying out of trouble either.also, why is the 4-gamer served concurrently with the 16 game suspension? why isn't it 20 games?
It is just a 12 game extension to finish out the year. Not a league mandated one year suspension.

This is all good news for Palmer owners. He will need to pass a lot with their defense continuing to give up tons of yards and points against the run

amnesiac said:
It is just a 12 game extension to finish out the year. Not a league mandated one year suspension.
pretty sure it's a 1 year league suspension for entering stage 3 of the substance abuse policy.apparently, they made it retroactive to the beginning of this season, but it still doesn't make sense to me. why doesn't going into stage 2, which is 4 games + going into stage 3, which is 16 games = 20?i guess it really doesn't matter, i just found it curious.

Coach Lewis is fed up

Odell Thurman's name no longer appears above a locker in Paul Brown Stadium. Its contents have been cleared out and replaced with those of Kyle Takavitz, an offensive lineman on the practice squad. The change was noticeable.

Thurman's arrest early Monday morning for operating a vehicle under the influence led to Wednesday's announcement that the NFL had extended the second-year linebacker's suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy from four games to an entire year. Thurman was due to come off of suspension after Sunday's game with the New England Patriots at Paul Brown Stadium, but now he will have to wait until next year to apply for reinstatement.

Even if his application is approved and he is allowed to play in 2007, that won't mean Thurman will be playing in Cincinnati.

"We've told him he's not to be around here," head coach Marvin Lewis said. "We cleaned out his locker. Players don't clean out their lockers. It's not their job."

In a calendar year that has seen six players arrested for various charges - some upheld, some pending and some dismissed - the Bengals have managed to keep focus on their job of winning football games the first three games of this season. The sight of Lewis having Thurman's locker cleared was as powerful a message as any words he could have spoken.

"Coach Lewis is fed up with harping on Odell about doing the right thing at the right time and not being at the wrong place at the wrong time," said quarterback Carson Palmer. "At some point, I think Marvin's done with it. I saw him clear out his locker. I think everybody saw that and realized at some point you're not going to get a second chance, a third chance, a fourth chance."

With the Patriots, winners of three Super Bowls titles this decade, coming to town the Bengals have no room not to be focused. New England is coming off a 17-7 loss against Denver Sunday night but has not lost consecutive games since the end of the 2002 season. The Bengals beat Pittsburgh 28-20 on the road and have a chance to go 4-0 for the second straight season.

"I feel like we're 3-0, we've got a big game this week, and nothing seems to unnerve us as a team," said defensive tackle John Thornton. "We've had a lot of injuries that we're going through and we just beat a good team. But I don't think anything distracts us at all."

Legal troubles haven't been the only potential distractions facing Lewis and his players this year. Palmer's knee injury, surgery and subsequent rehabilitation were among the most watched storylines of the NFL offseason. The Bengals have extended the contracts of three of their five starters on the offensive line, but the prospect of losing guard Eric Steinbach to free agency looms. And as every team must deal with, the Bengals have had their share of injuries, including losing linebacker David Pollack for the season with a fractured vertebra in his neck against Cleveland two weeks ago.

"Any time you have a large group of people together, you're always going to have somebody with something off of what the entire team is trying to focus on," said New England head coach Bill Beli- chick, who is 75-35 and won four AFC East titles with New England since taking over in 2000. "It's challenging every week. There are things every week that come up time to time, injuries or schedule related, that's something you have to deal with every week, it's part of football, every team. You try to minimize those things and focus on the game.

"There are things each of us individually have to manage, those are things that happen. I went through it last year with (the death of) my dad. It's a combination of things. You're always going to have an element of that when you have a large group together."

Some issues bring more difficult challenges to deal with than others. Injuries are part of the game and so are contracts. A player being suspended for breaking league rules falls into a different category. It's up to the head coach to keep his team on track.

"(Lewis) addressed the off-field issues, and that's all I'm going to comment on the subject," said defensive tackle Bryan Robinson. "We as players don't need to reiterate it, we have a leader in Marvin and he pretty much set the tone with what was said."
:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread