What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bernard Scott (1 Viewer)

whodeywhodey

Footballguy
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a8...cratching-heads

He might not get many carries, but I think -- no, I know -- the best runner on the Bengals isn't Cedric Benson, but Bernard Scott. He needs to get more carries, and trust me, he will as the season progresses and his talent cannot be denied.
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...NFL&id=5420
Bernard Scott-RB- Bengals Sep. 13 - 2:56 pm et

NFL.com's Mike Lombardi believes that Bernard Scott is the Bengals' best running back, and predicts that Scott's role will continue to expand.

"Trust me," Lombardi writes, before predicting that Scott is going to "get more carries" and stating "his talent cannot be denied." The Patriots smothered Cedric Benson in Sunday's opener, holding him to 43 yards on 15 carries and forcing CedBen to fumble. Scott generated 50 yards on nine touches.
Get him cheap while you can.

I have Benson so this is a little frustrating since I can't decide who to drop to pick this guy up. Either way, if they are splitting carries, it will divide the point production and we won't know who is going to score a TD each week.

Every Benson owner should own Scott already. End of discussion. Scott's talent has been well-known since last preseason.

Terrible writing by a guy that gets paid to stir things up. Did Benson allow New England to score 31 before Cinci was able to get things going? Did Benson throw the interception return for the TD? Does Benson run block along the OL? Cinci, their fans, and owners were simply ambushed by a very quiet and unheralded New England Patriots football team. TO knew it, he knew they weren't prepared mentally after the game, and I believe him when he says things will get better. Getting punched in the face opening week is just what Cinci needed. Pick up Scott if you want but Benson got a contract extension recently if I am not mistaken and I doubt highly that Scott is going to pass him on the depth charts overnight.

Week 1 "The sky is falling"

Terrible writing by a guy that gets paid to stir things up. Did Benson allow New England to score 31 before Cinci was able to get things going? Did Benson throw the interception return for the TD? Does Benson run block along the OL? Cinci, their fans, and owners were simply ambushed by a very quiet and unheralded New England Patriots football team. TO knew it, he knew they weren't prepared mentally after the game, and I believe him when he says things will get better. Getting punched in the face opening week is just what Cinci needed. Pick up Scott if you want but Benson got a contract extension recently if I am not mistaken and I doubt highly that Scott is going to pass him on the depth charts overnight.

Nope, Benson is a free agent after this season. Last time Cincy gave a fat extension to a RB was Rudi, and that didn't work out. So while Scott may have limited value this season, he's a smart pickup for dynasty owners in case the Bengals don't resign Benson.

Not that it really matters much for purposes of the thread topic, but, assuming Rotoworld has accurate contract info, 2010 is the last year of Benson's deal. He's a free agent in 2011.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...NFL&id=3139

Giants4Life said:
So one random writer's "prediction"...No actual news
The point is that - like it or not - the more the press talks about fantasy gems like Scott the more their value begins to creep up.So if you want him now might be a good time to get him. Personally it doesn't change my opinion at all. He was my #1 RB target after the 10th round in all formats this year. I own him in all of my leagues.

The point is that - like it or not - the more the press talks about fantasy gems like Scott the more their value begins to creep up.So if you want him now might be a good time to get him. Personally it doesn't change my opinion at all. He was my #1 RB target after the 10th round in all formats this year. I own him in all of my leagues.
So now the press determines value? I dont get it. An article on Bernard Scott doesnt change his value

Terrible writing by a guy that gets paid to stir things up. Did Benson allow New England to score 31 before Cinci was able to get things going? Did Benson throw the interception return for the TD? Does Benson run block along the OL? Cinci, their fans, and owners were simply ambushed by a very quiet and unheralded New England Patriots football team. TO knew it, he knew they weren't prepared mentally after the game, and I believe him when he says things will get better. Getting punched in the face opening week is just what Cinci needed. Pick up Scott if you want but Benson got a contract extension recently if I am not mistaken and I doubt highly that Scott is going to pass him on the depth charts overnight. Week 1 "The sky is falling"
I actually appreciate these posts. Not like he's saying it's gospel or painting it as something it's not. Good to have opposing views but let's not be so down on these postings that they stop happening.I'll put Scott on my redraft radar.

So now the press determines value? I dont get it. An article on Bernard Scott doesnt change his value
he meant cost. depending on your def of value, this could decrease his value.

Sunday was a crazy game that resulted in the Bengals playing a different game than they ever intend to play again (at least by choice). Scott is good and Lewis isn't afraid to switch to who he thinks is best, but I can't think of an easier game to dismiss than how Sunday played out.

Let them be within 10 points either direction all game (like they were all last yr) and choose not to pound Benson before we consider Scott a redraft option.

Nope, Benson is a free agent after this season. Last time Cincy gave a fat extension to a RB was Rudi, and that didn't work out. So while Scott may have limited value this season, he's a smart pickup for dynasty owners in case the Bengals don't resign Benson.
I'm not a big fan of Scott in dynasty formats. He turns 27 in February, and he's a headcase that could blow up at any point. I don't see enough upside in him to warrant a roster spot at this time, unless you play in larger leagues. If Scott does start next year, then yeah, I suppose any starter is worth a roster spot. Too much risk, not enough upside IMO.

Every Benson owner should own Scott already. End of discussion. Scott's talent has been well-known since last preseason.
I would if some schmuck didn't take him in the 9th round in my league.
Who's the schmuck? :toilet:
Me -- he's the RB I took a flier on in the last round of my draft, knowing his value if Benson goes down and that he could pick up some playing time every game...and dropped him for Huggins in preseason hype.

He's chilling on my WW as we speak and probably will stay there for a while. My RB depth is atrocious so will likely take a shot at him.

The one thing I will question with Scott is if he can be a 30-carry back in the NFL. Benson can take on that kind of load when needed, I'm not totally sure that Scott can. That said, he should be owned in every dynasty league already for sure. In my protect-2 league he's not there yet.

-QG

FBG has Scott ranked above Benson (marginally) in this week's PPR cheatsheets. Might be worthy of a more in-depth debate and get some more predictions as to how this will play out during the season.

2009 6th rd out of Abilene Christian

Filled in respectably for Benson last year in 3 games in 2009 before getting turf toe and Benson returning. Big game was 21/119/0, 3/32/0 vs. OAK.

Multiple Choice Discussion:

A) This is much ado about nothing - Scott was inserted in Gm 1 in a special game situation. MLewis is a 1-back coach to the core and Benson will hold off the challenger all year.

B) This has full-blown SEA/BUF/DAL RBBC timeshare written all over it - neither Benson nor Scott will have much value the rest of the year due to unpredictability, vulturing, etc.

C) Scott has COP skillset to spell Benson in a modified Sproles/R.Bush type role. Benson still sees 70-80% of carries. Scott comes in on some third downs due to receiving skills

D) Scott is an "ascendant talent" and will displace the aging vet by mid-year and be a J.Charles-like stud in fantasy lineups by the end of the year.

Thoughts?

FBG has Scott ranked above Benson (marginally) in this week's PPR cheatsheets. Might be worthy of a more in-depth debate and get some more predictions as to how this will play out during the season.

Filled in respectably for Benson last year in 3 games in 2009 before getting turf toe and Benson returning. Big game was 21/119/0, 3/32/0 vs. OAK.

A) This is much ado about nothing - Scott was inserted in Gm 1 in a special game situation. MLewis is a 1-back coach to the core and Benson will hold off the challenger all year.

B) This has full-blown SEA/BUF/DAL RBBC timeshare written all over it - neither Benson nor Scott will have much value the rest of the year due to unpredictability, vulturing, etc.

C) Scott has COP skillset to spell Benson in a modified Sproles/R.Bush type role. Benson still sees 70-80% of carries. Scott comes in on some third downs due to receiving skills

D) Scott is an "ascendant talent" and will displace the aging vet by mid-year and be a J.Charles-like stud in fantasy lineups by the end of the year.

Thoughts?
d.

Thoughts?
Im going C. Scott has little production unless Benson is hurt/suspended.

Thoughts?
For the record, that is insane.My answer is A for now with the potential to morph closer to C depending on Brian Leonard's health. The Bengals don't throw to backs enough to make a 3rd down back rosterable and thats even more true when he'd be splitting those catches with Brian Leonard.

Thoughts?
D. But how long can you sit waiting for Bumson to go down? That is the question. He will very spotty at best until then.

Scott is a feature back waiting to happen. That said, not sure they'll make the switch this season. Benson actually didn't look bad in the game. He is what he is type of thing...& that's a pretty good back, but not electric like Scott.

Do I think Scott is a better all-around RB right now? Yes, but that doesn't mean the Bengals will feature Scott this season. NFL coaches can be a rather stubborn lot for various reasons. History has showed us countless examples. The plan may be to get Scott more & more touches, but not necessarily to feature him in 2010.

I do believe Scott will be their feature back in 2011, though. And that's with or without Benson on the roster, but he'll likely be gone. I think the handwriting is pretty much on the wall as far as that goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure where all the hate for Benson (as a player) comes from. At least during his tenure with the Bengals, he's been very impressive; especially last season. He's a more all around skilled back than many give him credit for.

Thoughts?
I own both in a dynasty league and I pretty much see it as: C

I'm not sure where all the hate for Benson (as a player) comes from. At least during his tenure with the Bengals, he's been very impressive; especially last season. He's a more all around skilled back than many give him credit for.
:football: though of course most Bengals fans know this already.The one thing I can see that will keep Scott back a bit is that Benson tends to play better and get in a better groove the more he gets the rock. B Scott will probably still have one or two series unless something happens to Ced Ben. If Benson (God forbid) gets hurt again, I don't think Scott would see quite the same kind of load - you'd probably see about 20 or so carries for Scott with a max of say 25 with Peerman getting about 3 series again and around 10 totes.-QG

I have a feeling the trend is to run your contract year running back into the ground since you won't be signing him anyway then let another team overpay for him with little tread left on the tires. Benson will get 30 carries this week if they have the luxury to give them to him.

Disclaimer: I own him in one league

:goodposting: though of course most Bengals fans know this already.The one thing I can see that will keep Scott back a bit is that Benson tends to play better and get in a better groove the more he gets the rock. B Scott will probably still have one or two series unless something happens to Ced Ben. If Benson (God forbid) gets hurt again, I don't think Scott would see quite the same kind of load - you'd probably see about 20 or so carries for Scott with a max of say 25 with Peerman getting about 3 series again and around 10 totes.-QG
There are almost no RBs that get 25 carries per game. Or even 20 for that matter.The 30 carry RB is a myth. Look it up.

:goodposting: though of course most Bengals fans know this already.The one thing I can see that will keep Scott back a bit is that Benson tends to play better and get in a better groove the more he gets the rock. B Scott will probably still have one or two series unless something happens to Ced Ben. If Benson (God forbid) gets hurt again, I don't think Scott would see quite the same kind of load - you'd probably see about 20 or so carries for Scott with a max of say 25 with Peerman getting about 3 series again and around 10 totes.-QG
There are almost no RBs that get 25 carries per game. Or even 20 for that matter.The 30 carry RB is a myth. Look it up.
Per game yes, no back gets close to 500 carries in a season but backs still get 30 from time to time, ie Foster.

C'mon man. RBs have 480-carry seasons all the time :)What I mean by 30 carries is that when they are on all cylinders he'll tote the rock that many times. It'll vary by conditions of course. I see about 90/10 split when they are up and running the ball strong. I think this ratio would be less if Benson were hurt and Scott the number 1 - more like 75/25 or even 70/30.-QG

Football Jones said:
Scott is a feature back waiting to happen.
The most popular player on the team is the backup quarterback.The most popular player on the message boards is the backup running back.

Football Jones said:
The most popular player on the team is the backup quarterback.The most popular player on the message boards is the backup running back.
Nice contribution. What's implied is that people are wasting their time talking about backups. But far more starting RB's either go down with injury (Benson himself was limited in practice on Wednesday w/ shoulder issues) and/or get outplayed during the course of the season than QB's.Identifying, evaluating, and making judicious waiver wire pickups/drops, as well as handcuff or "lottery" choices in deep rosters during the season can be key either for in-season redraft roster or dynasty. Please don't attempt to de-rail what has become a good thread started by the OP.

whodeywhodey said:
The 30 carry RB is a myth. Look it up.
It's a figure of speech, dude. It's easier to say than "23.5 touches per game on average with a few 30-carry games thrown in the mix".

Football Jones said:
Nice contribution. What's implied is that people are wasting their time talking about backups.
Big difference between "talking about backups" and "anointing a backup as a feature back waiting to happen". One can be quite productive; the other would be outlawed by Christine O'Donnell.

What's the thought on B Scott since he had a few games at the end of the season with an extended workload, and Benson may not be returning?

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/40924916/ns/...ts-player_news/

According to the Cincinnati Enquirer's Joe Reedy, impending free agent Cedric Benson will not return to the Bengals if offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski keeps his job.

Interesting. Bengals fans have been clamoring for Brat's ouster for half a decade now. Benson complained multiple times about the direction of the offense in 2010, perhaps rubbing Bratkowski the wrong way. The Bengals have been hesitant to saddle up Bernard Scott as a feature back, but they could pair him with a power back in a committee attack if Benson walks.

The Cincinnati Enquirer "continues to have doubts" about whether Bernard Scott can become a true feature back for the Bengals, touching the ball 20 times per game.

Scott has missed just three games in his first two seasons, but he's no stranger to missing practice time with nagging injuries. The Bengals' official site has also suggested in the past that the team doesn't consider Scott a true between-the-tackles type. Beat writer Joe Reedy suggests free agent Michael Bush as a complement to Scott in 2011. It's a good fit if Cedric Benson elects to sign elsewhere.

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer

I'm sure Deangelo Williams is on their list of replacements. Not that I m too thrilled about that. Who wants their RB going against PIT and BAL twice a year.

lod01 said:
I'm sure Deangelo Williams is on their list of replacements. Not that I m too thrilled about that. Who wants their RB going against PIT and BAL twice a year.
I wouldn't worry. Even if the Bengals had interest, someone would ultimately be willing to pay Dwill more than the Bengals.

Users who are viewing this thread