What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bernie Sanders HQ! *A decent human being. (2 Viewers)

Not a Bernie post really. But is about something Bernie talks about often, voter turnout. Just voted in my local elections. Hope all my Charlotte homies did as well. At my polling place I was the 70th person to vote today. That is an abysmal showing. We are letting less and less people make our decisions on what kind of country we want. It's sad and it's why we find ourselves with an unresponsive government. They were saying they don't think they'll get 100 voters here today. That sucks. Get out and vote people.
Yeah, I was #68 at my place here in Rock Hill. The sad part is, local voting is far more important to us in our day to day lives than national voting. I don't know why people don't get that.
Yep

Not a Bernie post really. But is about something Bernie talks about often, voter turnout. Just voted in my local elections. Hope all my Charlotte homies did as well. At my polling place I was the 70th person to vote today. That is an abysmal showing. We are letting less and less people make our decisions on what kind of country we want. It's sad and it's why we find ourselves with an unresponsive government. They were saying they don't think they'll get 100 voters here today. That sucks. Get out and vote people.
Yeah, I was #68 at my place here in Rock Hill. The sad part is, local voting is far more important to us in our day to day lives than national voting. I don't know why people don't get that.
I try to tell people this and they look at me like I have three heads. It's like they think the POTUS gets their roads paved, sets their property taxes, and gets their trash picked up.

Plus, at the sub-county jurisdiction level, the candidates are mainly "just folks" - neighbors, people you see at the store, or the guy who owns the barber shop. You can actually - gasp! - approach them with concerns.

Your vote carries much more weight there, too. Even at the county commish level, our elections here are often won by less than 100 votes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Planned Parenthood tweeting support for Bernie :oldunsure:

Theres another feminist running for president and heres HIS record to prove it. http://ppact.io/1M9D2w2 @BernieSanders is #InOurCorner
Not sure why the unsure smilie. Polls show Americans support PP even Republicans. In fact PP outpolls every GOP presidential candidate. It's only the extreme right that has a problem with them. And they weren't feeling the Bern anyway.I think that's a nice get for Bernie.
I think its a very good get - in light of the sexism allegations, and running against a woman. PP did not need to step into the fray on this - so :thumbup: for the tweet

Waste of time for me to vote. Another set of crooks or business lackies.

Waste of time for me to vote. Another set of crooks or business lackies.
So? Run for office. :shrug:

In a fairly elaborate mock-election (including primaries/caucuses)- the students at Western Illinois University elected Sanders/O'Malley ticket as the next President/Vice-President.

In the previous two mock-elections, the students accurately predicted Obama's 2008 victory - 1 year before it happened, and Obama's narrow victory in 2012.

I think this really underscores the need for Bernie to get students motivated to participate in the election process. He is winning that demographic, and if they turn out in above average numbers, Sanders should have enough support to win the nomination.

Sanders was on All In with Chris Hayes. They were talking about the drop in mortality rates amongst Americans 45-55 with just a high school diploma. Higher rates of suicide,alcoholism,drug abuse,etc. Bernie made a good case for how his economic policies would offer them a future and how he could peel them off from the GOP with those policies.

In a fairly elaborate mock-election (including primaries/caucuses)- the students at Western Illinois University elected Sanders/O'Malley ticket as the next President/Vice-President.

In the previous two mock-elections, the students accurately predicted Obama's 2008 victory - 1 year before it happened, and Obama's narrow victory in 2012.

I think this really underscores the need for Bernie to get students motivated to participate in the election process. He is winning that demographic, and if they turn out in above average numbers, Sanders should have enough support to win the nomination.
Bernie is doing a ton of outreach to younger voters but there are a lot of groups he needs to address.

Bernie trolling Trump on twitter:

If I'm "finished," I don't know what it says about Trump's situation when I'm 9pts ahead of him in the new NBC poll. Bernie Sanders added,

Igor Bobic @igorbobic

Trump says Bernie is “finished.” When he gave Hillary a pass on emails, Trump says, that was “the end of his campaign"

Bernie is doing a ton of outreach to younger voters but there are a lot of groups he needs to address.
And I don't see how O'Malley helps him address any of them.

And I don't see how O'Malley helps him address any of them.
Yeah me neither. I would really like to see him pick a VP to put pressure on Hillary to do the same. And I have really become stuck on Tammy Duckworth as a running mate for him.

It's an intriguing idea but so far as I know no Presidential candidate has ever chosen a VP prior to winning the nomination. There may be some party rule about this.

It's an intriguing idea but so far as I know no Presidential candidate has ever chosen a VP prior to winning the nomination. There may be some party rule about this.
Bernie is running an insurgent campaign. I don't think breaking tradition would be all bad. As far as I know there is no rule there is just a tradition. Politicians like to hedge. Takes balls to pick a side before they win.

I think picking Duckworth, if she would even do it, would help with several constituencies.

Cool to see, but much like Obama, I think there is a disproportional amount of young voters that favor him

Cool to see, but much like Obama, I think there is a disproportional amount of young voters that favor him
I agree - I did find it interesting that when the students pegged Obama to win, he was trailing Clinton worse than Sanders is currently.

But, no question that Bernie has to translate support and enthusiasm into votes and support at caucuses. I do think he is taking the right approach in terms of generating higher turnout among the 20-somethings by promoting a "political revolution" I think every generation looks for some movement to define them - and battling against establishment politics, wall street, etc., is as good a movement as any.

I agree - I did find it interesting that when the students pegged Obama to win, he was trailing Clinton worse than Sanders is currently.

But, no question that Bernie has to translate support and enthusiasm into votes and support at caucuses. I do think he is taking the right approach in terms of generating higher turnout among the 20-somethings by promoting a "political revolution" I think every generation looks for some movement to define them - and battling against establishment politics, wall street, etc., is as good a movement as any.
The difference is the African-American vote. Obama once he proved viable totally dominated that vote as well as young voters. It's great that Bernie can win enthusiastic young supporters, but until he's able to crack into the hammerlock Clinton has on the black vote, he can't win. He has a shot in New Hampshire, but unless his support by demographics change he will get slaughtered in South Carolina soon after.

I could never vote for sanders, he is all about raising taxes, and poor record on gun control. I think he is also weak on homeland security, and our military strength

I could never vote for sanders, he is all about raising taxes, and poor record on gun control. I think he is also weak on homeland security, and our military strength
He gets a D- from the NRA. He voted for background checks, he voted to ban assualt weapons, he voted d to limit magazine capacities. Unless you are part of the upper 1% he isn't talking about raising your taxes. Not sure where you get he is weak on defense just because he doesn't think we should give the DoD all our money. If that's it I guess Eisenhower was weak on defense.

The difference is the African-American vote. Obama once he proved viable totally dominated that vote as well as young voters. It's great that Bernie can win enthusiastic young supporters, but until he's able to crack into the hammerlock Clinton has on the black vote, he can't win. He has a shot in New Hampshire, but unless his support by demographics change he will get slaughtered in South Carolina soon after.
It really all comes down to turnout imo

I don't think black voters will be turning out in the same percentages that they did for Obama. If Sanders can turn out the youth voters in Iowa, and hold onto New Hampshire - that changes the entire dynamic of the race.

Its a tall order - but one that is not as far fetched as some think.

He gets a D- from the NRA. He voted for background checks, he voted to ban assualt weapons, he voted d to limit magazine capacities. Unless you are part of the upper 1% he isn't talking about raising your taxes. Not sure where you get he is weak on defense just because he doesn't think we should give the DoD all our money. If that's it I guess Eisenhower was weak on defense.
Clingers be clingin'.

He has stated other countries should put up more on the fight against terrorists, I guess he didn't know anyone who was touched by 911. With Russia becoming more agressive we need a strong military, if I recall correctly Sanders was a war protester, not what we need for a commander in chief

He has stated other countries should put up more on the fight against terrorists, I guess he didn't know anyone who was touched by 911. With Russia becoming more agressive we need a strong military, if I recall correctly Sanders was a war protester, not what we need for a commander in chief
As if we are anywhere near not having a strong military.

They should. And as a veteran I agree that war should be our last choice. How many tens of thousands of wounded soldiers do we have due to that debacle in Iraq? Not to mention hundreds of billions spent. And we need a strong military? We spend more than the next 10 countries combined. How much is enough? Russia can't touch us and Putin knows it.

As I've stated before, Hillary is a poor campaigner. First she implies Bernie is sexist. Now she is implying he is racist as well:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2015/11/hillary_clinton_keeps_smearing_bernie_sanders_as_a_sexist_now_she_is_reaching.2.html

As a Hillary supporter I want to apologize to all the Sanders people here. He doesn't deserve this. I really don't like the way she campaigns. It's unnecessary, it's going to create bad feelings. I hate it.

It's getting harder and harder for me to support her when she pulls crap like this.

As I've stated before, Hillary is a poor campaigner. First she implies Bernie is sexist. Now she is implying he is racist as well:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2015/11/hillary_clinton_keeps_smearing_bernie_sanders_as_a_sexist_now_she_is_reaching.2.html

As a Hillary supporter I want to apologize to all the Sanders people here. He doesn't deserve this. I really don't like the way she campaigns. It's unnecessary, it's going to create bad feelings. I hate it.

It's getting harder and harder for me to support her when she pulls crap like this.
It seems necessary. The mud is where she'll succeed. That's where she wants to be Tim. The last thing she wants is for this to be about the issues IMO.

Thanks Tim but we told you this was coming. This is not a surprise. This is how the Clinton machine works. Smear and then play the victim when it blows back.

It seems necessary. The mud is where she'll succeed. That's where she wants to be Tim. The last thing she wants is for this to be about the issues IMO.
She could spend the rest of the campaign only talking about Republicans and she'd still be likely to win. No need to even refer to Bernie let alone smear him. All unnecessary.

She could spend the rest of the campaign only talking about Republicans and she'd still be likely to win. No need to even refer to Bernie let alone smear him. All unnecessary.
What she's going to do is drive away Bernie supporters who would have voted for her. She needs them to turn out maybe they'll stay home instead. That will hurt every Democrat.

What she's going to do is drive away Bernie supporters who would have voted for her. She needs them to turn out maybe they'll stay home instead. That will hurt every Democrat.
Agreed. Beyond the fact that it's shameful, it's also stupid.

Another point of view, reaction to Slate article: http://www.salon.com/2015/11/04/bernie_sanders_latest_racial_blind_spot_hillarys_right_on_gun_control_urban_vs_rural_really_means_black_vs_white/

Bernie Sanders latest racial blind spot: Hillarys right on gun control urban vs. rural really means black vs. white

Sanders' remarks on "rural" gun owners did have unsavory racial implications. It's good for Clinton to call it out[...]

No doubt Clinton is poking a weak spot in her opponents case, but Saletan is also missing the forest for the trees here. Sanders most likely didnt intend for his talking point about rural vs. urban gun ownership to have any racial implications. But those implications are nonetheless there. I doubt that Clinton or any of the other people troubled by his remarks believe he is speaking out of anything but ignorance. But that ignorance is still a problem.[...]

If youre familiar with this history and rhetoric, its not hard to hear the racial implications of suggesting that "rural" folks are responsible, safe gun users while "urban" folks are not. On the contrary, its hard not to hear that. Sanders may mean well, but his constituents who insist that they are just wholesome gun owners, unlike some people, probably do not mean well.

Is Clinton using this fact to garner support? Absolutely. But the bigger picture is this. Racism fuels much of the opposition to gun control. We live in a country where black men (or boys) have been shot for holding toy guns or even just a toy sword in one case. "I thought he had a gun," is the excuse we expect after police shoot unarmed black men.[...]

Theres no use in denying that race is an issue in how people think about gun control and the threat of gun violence. If Clinton scores a political point on this, well, good. Maybe Sanders will rethink that horrible talking point about rural people. Whether he intends to or not, he is perpetuating ugly stereotypes about who is and isnt responsible.

That was pretty weak. The guy who marched for civil rights has a racial blind spot? I don't think so and I like how they piled on calling him ignorant. Makes me glad I stopped reading them years ago.

Oh and there is a difference between guns in the country and guns in the city. Anyone who doesn't think so is the ignorant one.

Now I see who wrote it. Amanda Marcotte has been a Hillary apologist for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was pretty weak. The guy who marched for civil rights has a racial blind spot? I don't think so and I like how they piled on calling him ignorant. Makes me glad I stopped reading them years ago.

Oh and there is a difference between guns in the country and guns in the city. Anyone who doesn't think so is the ignorant one.

Now I see who wrote it. Amanda Marcotte has been a Hillary apologist for a while.
Definitely. I don't think it has anything to do with race.

Definitely. I don't think it has anything to do with race.
Much like anything to do with Hilary, facts have nothing to do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread