What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Backup QB's To Own If The Starter Went Down? (1 Viewer)

Cheesedawg

Footballguy
In dynasty, 2-QB leagues, deep-roster leagues and, to a lesser extent, regular re-drafts, which backup QB's would have the best combination of talent and opportunity to succeed at a close-to-QB1 level if the starter suddenly vanished?

I'll throw out a few names to start the discussion. Would love to see in-order listing of preference of our sharks if you were using a roster spot to sit on a backup QB with such a high-end ceiling. If you could zap any starting QB and give the baton to a backup who you owned, who would it be?

This is a much more important discussion in light of the no-tolerance position the NFL has taken with players who do stupid things like hit women and beat children. The NFL has given itself a new standard of being judge, jury, and executioner even with first offenses that come out of nowhere. I am not criticizing the NFL's position but am merely acknowledging that untouchable superstars like Adrian Peterson can disappear from football suddenly even without an injury.

Could take over the job even without an injury, drug offense, or crime:

Michael Vick- NYJ

Johnny Manziel- Cleveland

Matt Moore- Miami

Shaun Hill- STL

Josh McCown- TB

Would need an injury/drugs/crime for sure but could put up good fantasy stats if they became the starter:

Jason Campbell- Cincinnati

Brock Osweiler- Denver

Brandon Weeden- Dallas

Ryan Mallett- Houston

Dan Orlovsky/Kellen Moore- Detroit

Matt Hasselbeck- Indy

Luke McCown- New Orleans

Jimmy Garappolo- New England

Tavaris Jackson- Seattle

Kellen Clemens- San Diego

Vick is easily the best on there. I like Moore cuz he's a gunslinger and Manziel is destined to start sooner or later if Browns keep losing. Rest is crapshoot. But Vick is easily the guy to get, and maybe EJ Manuel if someone dropped him for Orton. Orton is bad.

In dynasty, 2-QB leagues, deep-roster leagues and, to a lesser extent, regular re-drafts, which backup QB's would have the best combination of talent and opportunity to succeed at a close-to-QB1 level if the starter suddenly vanished?

Brandon Weeden- Dallas
Weeden is not terrible. He could do well in that offense.

Jimmy Clausen. I figure if Trestman + Marshall + Jeffrey + Forte + Bennett can make Josh McCown a solid fantasy QB, Jimmy would be useable too.

Manziel is the obvious one if you are talking borderline QB1 upside, but there haven't been any indications that he will start any time soon. If anything, Hoyer has probably strengthened his hold on the job.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Another vote for Sanchez.
Hasn't Sanchez proven he can't be an effective NFL QB?
Forever and ever and ever? All backup QBs have deficiencies. Kelly went and signed Sanchez so he must see something in him, that system is extremely QB friendly, and he looked great in preseason. The fact his rep is so low should make him extremely cheap were he to start as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
Hasn't Sanchez proven he can't be an effective NFL QB?
Who, in your original post, is a proven effective NFL QB? Osweiler, Garrapolo and Mallett have never played. Hasselbeck is a million years old, though I suppose he would do a decent job if Luck went down. Sanchez is better than all the rest of those guys and in a far better situation.

Between opportunity and ability, I would make Sanchez the number 2 QB (behind Vick), if all of the backups had to play tomorrow.

Sanchez. I don't buy into the preseason numbers (he played well int he preseason in New York, too) but that's a QB friendly system where he's setup to succeed.

Mark Sanchez would probably put up similar numbers if Foles went down.
Sanchez or Osweiler.
Sanchez and Brock
Sanchez. I don't buy into the preseason numbers (he played well int he preseason in New York, too) but that's a QB friendly system where he's setup to succeed.
Sanchez!!!!

Foles out 6-8 weeks. How do we feel about Sanchez? Is he a QB1 that should play at or near the level of Foles? I hated him in NY but I am hoping to sneak him for cheap off of waivers because of his bad reputation. Lots of wide open WRs in that offense.

Foles out 6-8 weeks. How do we feel about Sanchez? Is he a QB1 that should play at or near the level of Foles? I hated him in NY but I am hoping to sneak him for cheap off of waivers because of his bad reputation. Lots of wide open WRs in that offense.
in my 2 QB league, I don't even really need him, but am considering bidding my entire remaining budget on him ($62).

Sanchez looked better than average yesterday and I think he could be a low-end QB1/as good as Foles.

in my 2 QB league, I don't even really need him, but am considering bidding my entire remaining budget on him ($62).

Sanchez looked better than average yesterday and I think he could be a low-end QB1/as good as Foles.
Do people have a short memory when it comes to Mark Sanchez? Did he suddenly take an unsuck pill?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread