What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best concert closing song (2 Viewers)

David Gilmour playing Comfortably Numb Live at Gdansk with a whole Orchestra

Final song of the night....awesomeness!!!!!!

While I wouldn't call this as definitive a "closing tune" as "For Those.....", this is one of my favorite ending tunes and Gilmour absolutely CRUSHES it live. Excellent submission.

Dave Matthews Band - Two Step
:goodposting: I actually saw them close with Sweet Caroline in vegas 5 or 6 years ago......
Talk about a song that sucks. "Sweet Caroline", "Brown Eyed Girl", and anything by the Steve Miller Band is what most of the dorks in my school listened to as they choked down their second Coors Light and made googly eyes at the mediocre looking girl that passed for hot in the pig farm that was Freehold High School - who was saving herself for marriage, by the way.

Come on here, anyone not voting freebird should have their testosterone checked. It basically invented the notion of a concert closing song. A full onslaught southern breakdown with roller coaster crescendos that end with absolute maximum effort.

The only possible rival, remedy by the Crowes. But even that can't compare. Born to run might get consideration but that didn't close many concerts believe it or not n

AC/DC - For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)

?
BOOM goes the dynamite !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Notorious T.R.E wins the 5 cool points !!
it makes no sense as a closerfor those who just finished rocking, we salute you

dumb

cool points are worse than Canadian quarters
:lmao: Please. Give me another song that simply CANNOT be placed anywhere in the set but at the end and ends a show with 21 ACTUAL cannon blasts.
Cheap Trick's Goodnight, followed by 21 actual cannon blasts.

Come on here, anyone not voting freebird should have their testosterone checked. It basically invented the notion of a concert closing song. A full onslaught southern breakdown with roller coaster crescendos that end with absolute maximum effort. The only possible rival, remedy by the Crowes. But even that can't compare. Born to run might get consideration but that didn't close many concerts believe it or not n
Freebird would be a good answer if this thread had been started before 1977Rosalita, not Born to Run, would have been a good answer if the cutoff date was somewhere in the 80s. But even Springsteen realized how ridiculous it was for a middle aged millionaire to sing "your poppa says he knows that I don't have any money" to close the show every night. It's still magic (real magic not the album) when he occasionally breaks it out.

This is totally a niche fan thing, but people who are into The Cure love when they end the show with a 10min plus version of either "Faith" or "A Forest".

Come on here, anyone not voting freebird should have their testosterone checked. It basically invented the notion of a concert closing song. A full onslaught southern breakdown with roller coaster crescendos that end with absolute maximum effort.

The only possible rival, remedy by the Crowes. But even that can't compare. Born to run might get consideration but that didn't close many concerts believe it or not n
Since I mentioned "Born to Run" earlier, Bruce closed with that when I saw him a few years ago. I remember looking at setlists around that time and almost all of them closed with Born to Run. It was a bit of a production with the lights coming on and him getting the crowd into it. But I'm not enough of a Bruce junkie to know if that was just an aberration or just that tour.

Gotta agree with bdeep here. Look, we salute you. Let's not focus on why. We anticipate you rocking for at least the next few minutes, and hope that you choose to continue to do so after leaving. Now we're going to fire a bunch of guns in your general direction. Also, sorry we haven't put out any music worth listening to since EG was blowing the lines off the notebook in his trapper keeper. We were busy spending so much money that we had to go back on tour decades later because we knew your taste for nostalgia would outweigh your concern that we can no longer bring it. And for that, we salute you.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Come on here, anyone not voting freebird should have their testosterone checked. It basically invented the notion of a concert closing song. A full onslaught southern breakdown with roller coaster crescendos that end with absolute maximum effort. The only possible rival, remedy by the Crowes. But even that can't compare. Born to run might get consideration but that didn't close many concerts believe it or not n
Freebird would be a good answer if this thread had been started before 1977Rosalita, not Born to Run, would have been a good answer if the cutoff date was somewhere in the 80s. But even Springsteen realized how ridiculous it was for a middle aged millionaire to sing "your poppa says he knows that I don't have any money" to close the show every night. It's still magic (real magic not the album) when he occasionally breaks it out.
I see. Well I'll defer to you on whatever Teagan and Sara song you think has taken the throne.

Probably doesn't qualify, but I've now seen Darius Rucker twice do a version of "Purple Rain" as his final encore that absolutely brought down the house.

I see. Well I'll defer to you on whatever Teagan and Sara song you think has taken the throne.
Freebird probably still brings down the house at whatever State Fair the current Skynrd tribute band is performing at this summer.

"For those about to rock" does NOT mean they haven't been rocking the whole time. If you're drinking a coke, and you finish it, then pick up another coke, you're about to drink a coke. But wait...YOU JUST DRANK A COKE!

See? You can continue to rock even though you're about to rock.

Not to mention, maybe it's a sendoff for the crowd to go do their own rocking. Technically, during the concert AC/DC are the only ones doing the rocking. Now that the concert is over, they're saluting the crowd which is now going to "rock". Whether that means literally playing music, destroying property, banging something warm, etc.

FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK IN WHATEVER CAPACITY YOU ROCK IN, WE SALUTE YOU!

Freebird probably still brings down the house at whatever State Fair the current Skynrd tribute band is performing at this summer.
Yes, I forgot what an incomparable peak of Rock music we have been in for the past ten years, but at this particular moment in time. Why, some would say rock has never been more alive, strong, and vital. And I guess the fact 40 year old nostalgia acts are the only ones that can fill summer sheds with any regularity is just an abberation, and not really an indicator of the current concert business. Obviously its so vital there are endless choices for concert closers! Drop dead already skynyrd!

Yes, I forgot what an incomparable peak of Rock music we have been in for the past ten years, but at this particular moment in time. Why, some would say rock has never been more alive, strong, and vital.
We're just talkin' about the future. Forget about the past. It'll always be with us. It's never gonna die, never gonna die. [/]

Yes, I forgot what an incomparable peak of Rock music we have been in for the past ten years, but at this particular moment in time. Why, some would say rock has never been more alive, strong, and vital. And I guess the fact 40 year old nostalgia acts are the only ones that can fill summer sheds with any regularity is just an abberation, and not really an indicator of the current concert business. Obviously its so vital there are endless choices for concert closers! Drop dead already skynyrd!
Play it purdy for Atlanta \m/

Are you upset because they say the heart of rock and roll is still beating? Because, from what I've seen, I believe them.

maybe the least known of the offerings in this thread: Tweezer Reprise. just a ridiculously great riff and the best way to end a Phish show, imo.

eta: i posted this before reading the prior four pages. does that further validate Tweezer Reprise?

Last edited by a moderator:
Only read part of the first page and went to a couple of links. Whatever the best closing song may be, America is certainly not the best place to see it. Our crowds are nothing compared to some of the European shows and any South American show. They go berzerk, it's great. Maybe they appreciate it more because they see it a lot less. Maybe just more passion. Or maybe we are just lame and spoiled but damn, half those people can't even speak English and will be singing every word. And the musicians respond, as they should.

Only read part of the first page and went to a couple of links. Whatever the best closing song may be, America is certainly not the best place to see it. Our crowds are nothing compared to some of the European shows and any South American show. They go berzerk, it's great. Maybe they appreciate it more because they see it a lot less. Maybe just more passion. Or maybe we are just lame and spoiled but damn, half those people can't even speak English and will be singing every word. And the musicians respond, as they should.
Europe - "The Final Countdown"

You missed a funny thread. Skip to page 3 when evilgrin makes the big reveal of what the best closing song is, and awards cool points to the lucky guesser. bdeep had some a couple posts.

Yeah, it is always the last song of the regular set or the last song of the first set of encores. It has been the latter on almost the entire 360 tour (save for a recent shows where they mixed it up and played it 5th or 6th). But if it were their concert closer, it would be hard to beat.

Muse's Stockholm Syndrome (when it is played last) is stellar, too.

Great live bands like Rush, DMB, Radiohead, etc. don't have a song that is always a concert closer. It is different on every tour.

Oh, and of course: Pink Floyd's Run Like Hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another vote for Pennywise--Bro hymn.Please listen to this song. A tribute to a dead friend with the entire crowd singing along with the band letting people up on stage almost every time they sing it.
This is the right answer. Crowd completely in it. Song has huge meaning for everyone that knows anything about the band.

Another vote for Pennywise--Bro hymn.

Please listen to this song. A tribute to a dead friend with the entire crowd singing along with the band letting people up on stage almost every time they sing it.
This is the right answer. Crowd completely in it. Song has huge meaning for everyone that knows anything about the band.
I love Pennywise (although they do sound a little too much like Bad Religion sometimes) and love that song, but I can't put it on the same level as "For Those About to Rock." It's not as epic. I'm trying to step back and evaluate this objectively, otherwise I would have probably said that "7 Words" from deftones was my favorite because it's such a high-energy closer and sends the crowd home spent, but it's just not as perfect a closer as "For Those About to Rock.." There's a reason AC/DC has closed about 1,000 straight shows with it and will likely never close with another song, and the way they extend the ending and the way the cannons play in the arena is unparalleled.

AC/DC - For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)?
it makes no sense as a closerfor those who just finished rocking, we salute youdumbcool points are worse than Canadian quarters
:lmao:Please. Give me another song that simply CANNOT be placed anywhere in the set but at the end and ends a show with 21 ACTUAL cannon blasts.
The 1812 Overture.

AC/DC - For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)?
it makes no sense as a closerfor those who just finished rocking, we salute youdumbcool points are worse than Canadian quarters
:lmao:Please. Give me another song that simply CANNOT be placed anywhere in the set but at the end and ends a show with 21 ACTUAL cannon blasts.
1812 Overture?
yousonofbeach

AC/DC - For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)

?
it makes no sense as a closerfor those who just finished rocking, we salute you

dumb

cool points are worse than Canadian quarters
:lmao: Please. Give me another song that simply CANNOT be placed anywhere in the set but at the end and ends a show with 21 ACTUAL cannon blasts.
Two comments about your AC/DC selection. First, it's the BAND that is doing the rocking, isn't it? I don't understand the premise of the song... like it take some kind of effort to listen to AC/DC, that effort being labeled "rocking?" :confused: No, it's is the BAND that rocks, not the audience.

Now, if 21 actual cannon shots is waht makes this an ideal closer, then I would argue the

as played every year by the Boston Pops at the 4th of July closer is an even better closer. They have the national guard out there with howitzers, as well as lots of old timey church bells, and they make a lot more noise and energy than AC/DC. Plus, it's real music.

Users who are viewing this thread