What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best iPad draft app (1 Viewer)

lebowski

Footballguy
Ok guys...there has been a lot of discussion about iPad drafting apps in previous threads but I thought it might be good to openly discuss opinions if you have tried the apps so please chime in with useful info and opinions.

Here are three I came across and was wondering what people thought (disclosure: I have not tried any of these myself yet)...

FF draft gm- not my favorite look, cheapest, works offline according to the developer, great response via email, supports 3rr drafts according to developer, not a lot of info on players, tied to pro football focus and not sure how good the info from them is, looks like you can draft for all teams, email results after draft.

NFL fantasy cheat sheet-slicker look than ff draft gm, emailed developer this morning and have not heard back yet, "official" NFL cheat sheet and seems to be tied to nfl.com, not sure about working offline or 3RR drafts

Rotowire draft kit- seems like a lot of good info for players, language about app suggests it works offline but I can't confirm, pretty basic graphics, not sure about 3RR or offline

Tempted to by them all and try since all apps are cheaper than magazines. Any information would be great though. For other fbg subscribers/iPad owners do you trust another app or lug that laptop again for draft dominator? One feature I really liked about draft dominator is the position count feature that helps predict runs on positions and I can't tell if any of he apps have anything like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like nfl fantasy cheat sheet. They base it on vbd, but it relies on their rankings, which I am not a fan of. I set my own rankings and draft order though, and it works well (I don't use vbd too much, since I kind of apply those principles in my head on the fly).

Once I set all of my rankings, the draft is a breeze and the easiest I've see to update as you go.

It updates daily, so as long as you are able to update online, drafting offline is no problem. Adp is updated based on league settings as well.

I emailed the developer twice yesterday and got responses to both in less than an hour...so that's a positive as well. I don't play in 3rr leagues, so I can't speak for that... But setting it up for keepers is really easy.

I really like nfl fantasy cheat sheet. They base it on vbd, but it relies on their rankings, which I am not a fan of. I set my own rankings and draft order though, and it works well (I don't use vbd too much, since I kind of apply those principles in my head on the fly). Once I set all of my rankings, the draft is a breeze and the easiest I've see to update as you go. It updates daily, so as long as you are able to update online, drafting offline is no problem. Adp is updated based on league settings as well. I emailed the developer twice yesterday and got responses to both in less than an hour...so that's a positive as well. I don't play in 3rr leagues, so I can't speak for that... But setting it up for keepers is really easy.
We have keepers kept in certain rounds. Does this app handle that? For instance AJ Green is kept for a 4th round pick. I don't want the owner to still have a 4th round pick in the software.

I really like nfl fantasy cheat sheet. They base it on vbd, but it relies on their rankings, which I am not a fan of. I set my own rankings and draft order though, and it works well (I don't use vbd too much, since I kind of apply those principles in my head on the fly). Once I set all of my rankings, the draft is a breeze and the easiest I've see to update as you go. It updates daily, so as long as you are able to update online, drafting offline is no problem. Adp is updated based on league settings as well. I emailed the developer twice yesterday and got responses to both in less than an hour...so that's a positive as well. I don't play in 3rr leagues, so I can't speak for that... But setting it up for keepers is really easy.
We have keepers kept in certain rounds. Does this app handle that? For instance AJ Green is kept for a 4th round pick. I don't want the owner to still have a 4th round pick in the software.
Yes, it let's you choose the spot. That's how I run my league as well.

Any chance you could check to see if 3 round reversal is an option? I emailed the developer and have not received a response yet.

Yeah. I am not at home now... But I'll look for you tomorrow.

Solorca-Thanks for the review. When you say that once you set your rankings the draft is a breeze, does that mean you use a different apps/paper/Excel/etc. in conjunction with the app? In other words, can I come up with my own rankings (by position/top 200) and then customize the app so it overrides their rankings and use mine instead?Can the app handle multiple leagues with different scoring systems?

Solorca-Thanks for the review. When you say that once you set your rankings the draft is a breeze, does that mean you use a different apps/paper/Excel/etc. in conjunction with the app? In other words, can I come up with my own rankings (by position/top 200) and then customize the app so it overrides their rankings and use mine instead?Can the app handle multiple leagues with different scoring systems?
Yes, you can have multiple scoring settings. The developer did tell me however that custom rankings currently have a problem if you have more than one created. He said that would be fixed with the next update that is awaiting apple approval in the next couple days. Yes, you can create your own draft list that will override their info. You can adjust their projections as far as I know, but you can adjust the ranking order. I just order by position, but you can do an full list including all positions (which will then auto sort the individual positions) as well. The only reason I didn't do this, is because it takes a little longer to dig for names and move them around in the rankings with the full list. When I have more time though, I'll set it up that way.

Do any of these apps track the draft in a grid format similar to Fantasy Football Calculator's mock drafts? That format is simple yet so effective to predict upcoming picks.

Any chance you could check to see if 3 round reversal is an option? I emailed the developer and have not received a response yet.
Ok, I just checked. Third round reversal is not an option...and even though I thought it was, you also can't manually adjust picks. The only option is to manually assign a player to the correct team. I emailed the developer and he said this may be added to an update in the next week or two...but he wasn't positive.Too bad really, since my league allows us to trade draft picks.

Ok, I just checked. Third round reversal is not an option...and even though I thought it was, you also can't manually adjust picks. The only option is to manually assign a player to the correct team. I emailed the developer and he said this may be added to an update in the next week or two...but he wasn't positive.Too bad really, since my league allows us to trade draft picks.
Thanks for looking into that for me. I appreciate it. Interesting you have been able to contact the developer and get responses quickly as I have had no luck.

Thanks for looking into that for me. I appreciate it. Interesting you have been able to contact the developer and get responses quickly as I have had no luck.
Yeah, that is odd. He has answered every question I've sent in less than 15 minutes. I have been using the contact feature through the app though, so maybe that's why.

Yeah, that is odd. He has answered every question I've sent in less than 15 minutes. I have been using the contact feature through the app though, so maybe that's why.
Good to know that app support is good once you buy it but I'm going to need to go with something that has 3RR capability.

Good to know that app support is good once you buy it but I'm going to need to go with something that has 3RR capability.
Just an FYI, I mentioned this thread to the developer and he was concerned about you not getting a response to your email. He wanted to make sure you sent it to support@290design.com and that the response didn't end up in your spam filter.

'solorca said:
'lebowski said:
'solorca said:
'lebowski said:
'solorca said:
'lebowski said:
'solorca said:
Just an FYI, I mentioned this thread to the developer and he was concerned about you not getting a response to your email. He wanted to make sure you sent it to support@290design.com and that the response didn't end up in your spam filter.
Checked and no such luck. I filled out the form at the site and it said "accepted" or something like that. I tried the site again today (linked from itunes) and it wouldn't load.

Got a reply from rotowire today...

In response to your questions:

1) I'm not sure what you mean by "3rd round reversal leagues." Could you clarify what you mean?

2) Yes, it works offline once you've downloaded it.

3) Yes, you can adjust your league settings to have however many active QBs, RBs, etc. you want to have on a team's active roster.

Thanks,

Question #3 was one I thought of regarding 2 QB leagues. It is positive that it works offline but a big negative to me was they didn't know what 3rd round reversal was (my assumption being they don't have it, but my bigger worry is how can you not know about it if you are fantasy experts).

Still not sure what I am doing yet personally. Was leaning toward buying two...rotowire as like an ipad fantasy football magazine since it works offline and I have seen their publications before and ff draft gm since they said they support third round reversal. The 3rd round reversal comment from rotowire has me worried though so I'm again unsure.

'solorca said:
solarca,Best I can tell is this app is now connected to NFL.com. Is that correct? Also is there good player information (i.e. do they have a write up on the players so you can do some research as you draft).Thanks again for all the info.

'solorca said:
solarca,Best I can tell is this app is now connected to NFL.com. Is that correct? Also is there good player information (i.e. do they have a write up on the players so you can do some research as you draft).Thanks again for all the info.
As far as I can tell, there isn't an official connection to NFL.com. When you click on a player, it will pull up a window that gives a write-up on them, along with any recent news (I believe pulled from rotowire). So far, it's been pretty accurate when it comes to any up to date injury information. I wouldn't say that it's super detailed, but it will at least tell you if the late round flier you're looking at pulled a hamstring the night before your draft.It also has previous year stats and projections for this year (I can't remember where they are from, because I do my own rankings and ignore that area).

Any others out there worth looking at? I'm kind of surprised oly one has been mentioned in the thread.

Any others out there worth looking at? I'm kind of surprised oly one has been mentioned in the thread.
Three have been mentioned:- NFL cheat sheet - FF GM- RotowireI think they all have their positives and negatives, and none compare to DD. I think NFL has the cleanest UI, and GM has the most flexibility with projections (although still cumbersome). I am going to use LogMeIn to virtualize DD when I have Internet access and my laptop when I don't. :kicksrock:

:blackdot:

ETA: bought NFL cheat sheet for $4.99, and I am blown away. Mr. Joe Bryant, when you make the FBG app, just copy this. AWESOME!

Most people are talking about one. I mentioned two others but I doesn't seem like people have much experience with them.More information on nfl fantasy cheat sheet...emailed me back when I used the email given in this thread and they might add 3RR in a future update. They are waiting on an update to be approved by apple now that allows for 1-10, 1-10... Draft order. I don't know if personally I could trust it to be ready by the time I need it.Quick question for others...does anyone have any experience with information from rotowire in general?

***OFFICIAL REVIEW***

Rotowire - Too basic. You select a player to my on "your team," or "other team." That's it. There doesn't appear to be a way of assigning players to specific rosters. The obviously leads to very little data available for mid-draft strategy (position count, players taken by specific team, etc.). GRADE: :thumbdown:

FF Draft GM - I like the fact that you can modify the projections for each player, but the challenge is that it's based on PPG. You would need to calculate that, then use a slider to move the points up or down for every player. That's cumbersome to say the least. You also can't "unpick" a player unless it's yours. This could kill you in a live draft. There have been countless times where I have assigned the wrong player to a team. In DD, you just go back and change it. It doesn't appear you have that flexibility with this one. I do like the injury risk, upside factor, and draft grade features. The graphics are solid and easy to read. The overall UI is good. GRADE: :mellow:

NFL Fantasy Cheatsheet - You can only modify rankings, rather than points. That's confusing since it leverages VBD. This seems to be the ONLY limitation of this app. The graphics are strong, you can change draft order, view opponents rosters, read player news, etc. Resetting players is a snap. There are no analytics for rosters, such as total points or strengths, but you can see how many players at each position a team has taken. If you had the ability to modify projections on this app, it would get a :banned: . GRADE: :thumbup:

Anything good for an auction?
Nfl cheat sheet says it supports auction but I can not say if it is any good.
Received follow up email from rotowire..lthey do not have 3RR but also mentioned that you don't assign players to a specific team...so I view it more as a check off cheat sheet that has magazine info built in. I still might buy it as you can use it offline and it would be nice to have second opinions on players during the draft.

***OFFICIAL REVIEW***Rotowire - Too basic. You select a player to my on "your team," or "other team." That's it. There doesn't appear to be a way of assigning players to specific rosters. The obviously leads to very little data available for mid-draft strategy (position count, players taken by specific team, etc.). GRADE: :thumbdown: FF Draft GM - I like the fact that you can modify the projections for each player, but the challenge is that it's based on PPG. You would need to calculate that, then use a slider to move the points up or down for every player. That's cumbersome to say the least. You also can't "unpick" a player unless it's yours. This could kill you in a live draft. There have been countless times where I have assigned the wrong player to a team. In DD, you just go back and change it. It doesn't appear you have that flexibility with this one. I do like the injury risk, upside factor, and draft grade features. The graphics are solid and easy to read. The overall UI is good. GRADE: :mellow:NFL Fantasy Cheatsheet - You can only modify rankings, rather than points. That's confusing since it leverages VBD. This seems to be the ONLY limitation of this app. The graphics are strong, you can change draft order, view opponents rosters, read player news, etc. Resetting players is a snap. There are no analytics for rosters, such as total points or strengths, but you can see how many players at each position a team has taken. If you had the ability to modify projections on this app, it would get a :banned: . GRADE: :thumbup:
Thanks jb. How is the player info on these apps? Good to know about the not being able to undo a draft pick in ff draft gm.

***OFFICIAL REVIEW***Rotowire - Too basic. You select a player to my on "your team," or "other team." That's it. There doesn't appear to be a way of assigning players to specific rosters. The obviously leads to very little data available for mid-draft strategy (position count, players taken by specific team, etc.). GRADE: :thumbdown: FF Draft GM - I like the fact that you can modify the projections for each player, but the challenge is that it's based on PPG. You would need to calculate that, then use a slider to move the points up or down for every player. That's cumbersome to say the least. You also can't "unpick" a player unless it's yours. This could kill you in a live draft. There have been countless times where I have assigned the wrong player to a team. In DD, you just go back and change it. It doesn't appear you have that flexibility with this one. I do like the injury risk, upside factor, and draft grade features. The graphics are solid and easy to read. The overall UI is good. GRADE: :mellow:NFL Fantasy Cheatsheet - You can only modify rankings, rather than points. That's confusing since it leverages VBD. This seems to be the ONLY limitation of this app. The graphics are strong, you can change draft order, view opponents rosters, read player news, etc. Resetting players is a snap. There are no analytics for rosters, such as total points or strengths, but you can see how many players at each position a team has taken. If you had the ability to modify projections on this app, it would get a :banned: . GRADE: :thumbup:
Thanks jb. How is the player info on these apps? Good to know about the not being able to undo a draft pick in ff draft gm.
Rotoworld has a decent analysis piece, though hardly ground breaking. They have a recent news section that was last updated in March. Oof.GM has some light analysis, no recent news.Cheatsheet has very current recent news, but no analysis. Personally, I don't rely heavily on this type of stuff. My mind is pretty much made up on a player when the draft starts. If anything, Cheatsheet would get the nod due to being the most current.

:blackdot:ETA: bought NFL cheat sheet for $4.99, and I am blown away. Mr. Joe Bryant, when you make the FBG app, just copy this. AWESOME!
Agreed, the interface is perfect. The only issue is that you can't customize as much like DD. the problem for FBG is there is a good app that only needs tweaked. FBG has a good program running on an outdated system. So they need a whole app to stay competitive in the marketplace.

ff draft gm developer said you could not undo AI in the mocks but thought you should be able to during a live draft. He was going to look into this for me. I will let others know soon. Just trying to be fair to them. Did you do a live draft jb or a mock?

Thanks JB. By any chance can you confirm whether NFL Fantasy Cheatsheet supports auctions?

Thanks JB. By any chance can you confirm whether NFL Fantasy Cheatsheet supports auctions?
It does.

ff draft gm developer said you could not undo AI in the mocks but thought you should be able to during a live draft. He was going to look into this for me. I will let others know soon. Just trying to be fair to them. Did you do a live draft jb or a mock?
Good catch. It was in mock mode. I just tried in a live draft, and you can unpick.

Good catch. It was in mock mode. I just tried in a live draft, and you can unpick.
Good to know, thanks. I just wanted to be fair to the developer here. He has been very good getting back to me. And I think the program looks solid maybe just not as nice looking as fantasy cheat sheet. That being said some positives of this program..you can adjust projections ( though maybe not as easy as most would like), one thing I really like is positions are color coded (which is nice when looking at the overall lists), cost ( cheaper but for most of us $2 doesn't matter much), for me 3RR.Also got an email from fantasy cheat sheet and they said they hoped to add 3RR in 2 weeks. He said apple is usually the big hang up on time. I have a draft in 3 weeks with 3RR so this timeline worries me a bit.

Does anyone have any experience with The MFL Mobile App for the iPad for when theyre drafting? Being a MFL user it would kill 2 birds with one stone as I could use it during season as well.

If I wind up having the time, I may adjust the GM projections and see how their VBD method compares to DD.

Does anyone have any experience with The MFL Mobile App for the iPad for when theyre drafting? Being a MFL user it would kill 2 birds with one stone as I could use it during season as well.
I would just use the website. The mfl mobile app doesn't work well at all when drafting, unless it's a slow draft.

Hey guys,

I'm the developer of the FF Draft GM app. Since you guys were discussing these apps, I thought I'd join in!

The interface could be prettier on iPad, but it's effective. You get the info and suggestions you need. It's not ugly or anything. If you want a nice looking app I suggest the gym babes app!!

I understand at each corner of the fantasy football internet people are very faithful to the projections that have brought them championships before - and that's understandable here more than anywhere else! The app does go off PFF Fantasy data but you can switch it around as you want.

You can also live draft from the app for MFL. I've tried the official MFL app and my opinion is it's much easier to keep up in the draft gm as it only takes 2 taps to pick and it updates every 5 secs.

One thing I spent ages on was trying to support as much stuff like 3RR, NFL style drafts, 2nd half flip, keepers... hopefully it is super compatible like that.

I'm confident that the FF Draft GM gives the best advice (there is so much math this app does in the background that I wish the app explained better what it was doing) and happy to leave you guys up to deciding which app you prefer! I just hope the above info is useful for the conversation.

And if the FBG guys have any issues with me posting this I completely understand just delete this post and my apologies!

for the guys who use the NFL Cheatsheet ipad app, can you assign custom auction values to players? let's say I want to use the FBG Draft Dominator and Projections Dominator to come up with a list of auction values. can I then use those values to manually update the auction values in the ipad app?

Users who are viewing this thread