What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Realistic Landing Spot for Peyton next year.... (1 Viewer)

Where do you think Manning will play next year?

• Colts

Votes: 176 72.7%
  • Redskins

Votes: 15 6.2%
  • Jets

Votes: 19 7.9%
  • Chiefs

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Dolphins

Votes: 13 5.4%
  • Other

Votes: 14 5.8%

• Total voters

biggamer3

Footballguy
Its clear Luck will be a Colts QB next year. I can't fathom them wanting to keep Peyton for one last hurra when Luck is NFL ready.

This has been debated on ESPN and blogs for weeks, wanted to see the Shark Pool's thoughts on where Peyton will land.

If I could wager on it, i would bet on the Redskins. They will not land a draft pick this year high enough to get Barkley. They have a star collecting owner who will throw the millions at Peyton and the Colts could deal him to a non AFC team.

No one knows if Luck is NFL ready until he actually plays in the NFL.
True, but his mastering of the Stanford offense and general reputation of being able to read defenses are strong indications he is NFL ready. And after what Cam and Dalton are showing this year right off the bat, teams will be extra hesitant to bench someone perceived to be NFL ready.

A guy in his position would probably only want to go to a team that is a contender.

The only real fit is the 49ers. Of course they may not be willing to give up much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to be picky, but the title and the poll aren't the same question.

The best realistic landing spot for Peyton might not be where he ends up playing next year.

From what I've heard the Colts have to pay him a $28m bonus before they'd be able to trade him. I simply can't imagine that happening and him not staying with the Colts and I can't imagine him getting released by the Colts unless he actually ends up retiring (which I doubt). So I think he'll be the Colts QB next year and Luck will learn behind him.

-QG

He's not going anywhere. They're gonna trade the pick to the browns for the 5th overall, 2013 1st and 3rd, and Joe Thomas.

Not to be picky, but the title and the poll aren't the same question.The best realistic landing spot for Peyton might not be where he ends up playing next year.From what I've heard the Colts have to pay him a $28m bonus before they'd be able to trade him. I simply can't imagine that happening and him not staying with the Colts and I can't imagine him getting released by the Colts unless he actually ends up retiring (which I doubt). So I think he'll be the Colts QB next year and Luck will learn behind him.-QG
You are right, I intended it to ask not for perfect team but team likely to get him.If Peyton feels he has 4 years left why would he want to hang around when there is a youngster waiting in the wings and in a year or two he gets phased out? I can totally see him ask to be released on good terms and signing a 4 year deal with a team like Redskins

Not to be picky, but the title and the poll aren't the same question.The best realistic landing spot for Peyton might not be where he ends up playing next year.From what I've heard the Colts have to pay him a $28m bonus before they'd be able to trade him. I simply can't imagine that happening and him not staying with the Colts and I can't imagine him getting released by the Colts unless he actually ends up retiring (which I doubt). So I think he'll be the Colts QB next year and Luck will learn behind him.-QG
Exactly !!

I think some people are losing sight of the fact that, until he retires or poor play proves otherwise, Peyton Manning is still one of the best QBs in the game. He doesn't suck, he's just injured. If he recovers properly and can return to playing football, then this whole thing may not be much different from Tom Brady's return to football after his lost season on the IR. If Luck was available back then, do you think BB would have drafted him and handed him the starting job with Brady back and ready to play? Hell no. Why would it be any different with Peyton? Does he not deserve the same respect and opportunity to prove he can still play?

If the news on Manning's recovery is positive come next Wednesday, I see him starting for the Colts come week one in 2012.

Manning will be the Colts' QB for the next 2 or 3 years with Luck as his backup.

The Colts would never trade Peyton and they'd be foolish to pass on Luck.

Especially now that they don't have to pay rookies nearly as much as they did just a couple of years ago.

Not to be picky, but the title and the poll aren't the same question.

The best realistic landing spot for Peyton might not be where he ends up playing next year.

From what I've heard the Colts have to pay him a $28m bonus before they'd be able to trade him. I simply can't imagine that happening and him not staying with the Colts and I can't imagine him getting released by the Colts unless he actually ends up retiring (which I doubt). So I think he'll be the Colts QB next year and Luck will learn behind him.

-QG
This is my take. There's nothing better than giving your franchise QB a chance to learn, and Indy is not an impatient team. I could see the trade scenario NBusiness suggests but I think this late in Manning's career that would a mistake on Indy's part. If fully healthy--how long would you expect Manning to play? That's the key, imo.eta: spider pretty well sums up my thinking. That rookie salary structure was a huge benefit for everyone and way overdue imo.

Colts.

The guy is injured, not playing poorly.

he is the face of the franchise and makes money for the team.

front office is not going to trade a HOF qb for a rookie who hasn't played a snap in the nfl.

If they draft luck, it's in the colts best interest to have him sit and learn behind peyton.

Colts.The guy is injured, not playing poorly.he is the face of the franchise and makes money for the team.front office is not going to trade a HOF qb for a rookie who hasn't played a snap in the nfl.If they draft luck, it's in the colts best interest to have him sit and learn behind peyton.
:thumbup:

I don't see why they would trade or release Peyton. It doesn't make sense, unless they get a great offer. If there was an example as to why having a viable backup QB is important, it's this seasons Indianapolis Colts.

He will be with the colts and the Colts will still draft Luck (which makes for an interesting decison in rookie dynasty leagues this spring).

There is a reason IND kept Manning off of IR this year and the only one I can think of is they want to know what he has before they have to pay him his roster bonus. I think if Manning can't go at all, that there is a good chance he gets released. What team is going to trade anything major for him if his injury is still a concern and with his contract being so expensive; is it really worth $28M to the Colts just to get a draft pick of unknown value (I can't imagine it is a first if he can't get on the field this year). As for a team he might go to, I say Tenn, as in his Alma Mater :P , or even NYG, as a QB coach, if he is done. Where does everyone see a FA Manning ranking compared with other FA QB's, like Flynn?

The answer depends on the form of the question.

Best "realistic" landing spot for Peyton's legacy is the Jets but I don't think he lands there.

Most realistic if he were dealt IMO is the Redskins, pretty good for his FF value too.

Most likely team for Peyton in 2012 is the Colts. I don't see the need to push Luck into the job in year one.

It seems most likely that if Peyton does not retire he would restructure a deal and stay with the Colts and help prepare Luck for the pros. The most likely landing spot probably depends on if we assume he is released or traded. If traded I don't think the Colts would want to trade him to an AFC team so I could see a team like maybe the 49ers or Seahawks being a potential destination.

Aaron Rodgers Part II?
except that the guy in front of luck wont be out there sending pictures of his weener all over the joint and wont try to be bigger than one of the most storied franchises in the nfl and wont break deannas heart by cheating on her when she is recovering from breast cancer like john edwards part deuax brett the jerkface favre

Assuming he is healthy, he will play for the Colts, period. Doesn't matter if Luck is ready or not. I know NFL's a business and all that crap but Peyton is the Colts.

I think it is a coin flip between Indianapolis and retirement. I don't see Peyton playing anywhere else in 2012.

Assuming he is healthy, he will play for the Colts, period. Doesn't matter if Luck is ready or not. I know NFL's a business and all that crap but Peyton is the Colts.
I don't know....seems like Peyton is trying to come back and play for and 0-11 team for a reason. He prob wants to prove he's a lock to be starting for the next 5 years and the Colts should address other needs. Not sure Luck would want to sit for 5 years either. Two sheriffs in town.

I agree it will be the Colts or retirement

LUck will not be the next Aaron Rodgers

For Luck it will either bet starter for Colts or pull an Eli Manning. Too bad Denver keeps winning because it would almost sit up perfect for a deal between the 2.

And after what Cam and Dalton are showing this year right off the bat, teams will be extra hesitant to bench someone perceived to be NFL ready.
We said the same thing about Flacco and Ryan, and they seem to have regressed or stagnated. Let's give Dalton and Cam another year, too.

No way does Indy release Manning. I don't care how good it is from a business standpoint. He has done too much for that city and franchise. If they take Luck, he learns behind Manning for a year. Manning will retire a Colt, or become the first player/coach in football as Luck's backup in year 2 or 3.

I think he stays with the Colts.

That said, SF would be dominant with Manning. Dan Snyder would pay the money, so WAS is realistic. Miami could use him. Cleveland is not far from Indy, so he could do that and not uproot his family.

I agree it will be the Colts or retirementLUck will not be the next Aaron RodgersFor Luck it will either bet starter for Colts or pull an Eli Manning. Too bad Denver keeps winning because it would almost sit up perfect for a deal between the 2.
OR got to Standford for his senior year! Crazier things have happened

No way does Indy release Manning. I don't care how good it is from a business standpoint. He has done too much for that city and franchise. If they take Luck, he learns behind Manning for a year. Manning will retire a Colt, or become the first player/coach in football as Luck's backup in year 2 or 3.
This will NEVER happen. If Peyton is healthy he will be on the field, there is no way he will be someone's backup, he would rather retire

Best place for Peyton to play is on the Colts. Part of what Peyton brings that few other QBs do is his control of the offense which is more like he's a coach than just a player. It's going to take him time for a whole new offensive unit to come up to speed on that, the communication, understanding what he wants, etc.

Sure he could step into any offense in the league and play as well as their QB does, but you'd be missing out on some of what makes him a special QB.

'hutchins929 said:
I don't see why they would trade or release Peyton. It doesn't make sense, unless they get a great offer. If there was an example as to why having a viable backup QB is important, it's this seasons Indianapolis Colts.
Your point is well taken if you highly value your team's ability to avoid being the worst team in the NFL. However, I'll argue that the Colts are a prime example of the value of *not* having a viable backup QB. A viable backup might have been able to guide this team to a 6-10 record, accomplishing nothing except ensuring that they don't get the most valuable draft spot in the NFL in quite some time (considering the perceived value of the player and the newly structured rookie contracts). In my view, a viable backup is very useful for a strong team that relies on defense and the running game, or a contending team that misses its QB for a couple of games due to injury. The Colts were/are neither.

the colts arent going to release him and no team would be willing to give anything significant for peyton in a trade until he shows that he is back to full strength. unless he plays and plays well at the end of this season, i dont think there is any shot peyton will be with a different team next year

the colts arent going to release him and no team would be willing to give anything significant for peyton in a trade until he shows that he is back to full strength. unless he plays and plays well at the end of this season, i dont think there is any shot peyton will be with a different team next year
you dont think a team that gave a 90 year old Deon Sanders boatloads and that gave Albert Haynsworth 100M wont give Peyton Manning a mega deal just based on his history?

Dr. Robert Watkins issued a statement Thursday indicating that exams show Peyton Manning's neck fusion has "achieved firm fixation."

Manning is still without a timetable for a return to practice, but he can increase his workload in rehab. It's been three months since Manning's most recent surgery, so he remains on schedule. He's still waiting on the nerve regeneration before he can resume football activities.

Whatever "achieved firm fixation" means, sounds like he might be back next year... :excited:

Dr. Robert Watkins issued a statement Thursday indicating that exams show Peyton Manning's neck fusion has "achieved firm fixation."Manning is still without a timetable for a return to practice, but he can increase his workload in rehab. It's been three months since Manning's most recent surgery, so he remains on schedule. He's still waiting on the nerve regeneration before he can resume football activities. Whatever "achieved firm fixation" means, sounds like he might be back next year... :excited:
I outright released Manning in my dynasty league because I held on to the bitter end waiting for him to return, or be placed on IR, and while I don't want to think of the possibility of facing a healthy Manning after all these years of owning him, I really do hope that he returns to form; he seems like a good guy that does it right.

Aaron Rodgers Part II?
except that the guy in front of luck wont be out there sending pictures of his weener all over the joint and wont try to be bigger than one of the most storied franchises in the nfl and wont break deannas heart by cheating on her when she is recovering from breast cancer like john edwards part deuax brett the jerkface favre
The only people that can verify that it was Brett's weanie are Deanna and Ted Thompson.

Dr. Robert Watkins issued a statement Thursday indicating that exams show Peyton Manning's neck fusion has "achieved firm fixation."Manning is still without a timetable for a return to practice, but he can increase his workload in rehab. It's been three months since Manning's most recent surgery, so he remains on schedule. He's still waiting on the nerve regeneration before he can resume football activities. Whatever "achieved firm fixation" means, sounds like he might be back next year... :excited:
I'm not a Doctor, but I believe this means, the super glue is almost fully bonded.

After examining Manning's surgically repaired neck this week, Robert Watkins essentially deemed the procedure he performed in September a success."X-ray and CT examination of the surgical area shows that the fusion performed in September has achieved firm fixation," Watkins said in a statement. "Peyton will now be allowed to increase the intensity and breadth of his workouts as tolerated. There remains every indication that his recovery will continue. There still is no timetable for Peyton's return to practice, which is one of many steps in his expected return to game action. ... His response to this plan in the future will dictate his return date." It remains to be seen if Manning will hit the field in 2011 -- practice fields or otherwise -- but he sounded upbeat Thursday."I am encouraged with what Doc had to say," Manning in the joint statement with Watkins. "I am happy that I can increase my rehabilitation program ... I am hopeful for continued progress in this next phase of my rehab."
Colts owner Jim Irsay tweeted his excitement after Thursday's announcement."Fixation is a good thing,people...The Man on the white horse RISES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" he wrote.

He's not going anywhere. They're gonna trade the pick to the browns for the 5th overall, 2013 1st and 3rd, and Joe Thomas.
not nearly enough

plus no gm in their right mind would trade Luck away
Seriously? I think I would do it. I guess it would depend on what QB still there at 5. A deal that Indy wouldn't be able to confirm until it gets down to the 5th pick. That is a much better deal than Eli Manning for Rivers, Merriman, and Nate Kaeding.

Users who are viewing this thread