What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best RUSH Album? (1 Viewer)

Moving Pictures (to me) is their most perfect and complete album but Fly By Night (again, imho) is the genesis or the real beginning of the band with the addition of Neil Peart changing everything, evolving the band into a whole new direction. I could also go with :

Permanent Waves
Signals
Hemispsheres
A Farewell To Kings
Power Windows

A Farewell to Kings probably. Subdivisions was always my favorite tune. I think k it was on Signals? Been a minute. I'll throw some on later. 😀

Several awesome ones. I guess moving pictures just over 2112 and Farewell to Kings. My favrite song remains La Villa Strangiato though.

Not a wrong answer in the thread

I guess if I have to choose one, I'd go with Moving Pictures, but really everything from 2112 to Grace Under Pressure are classics. I also play Counterparts a ton.

Moving Pictures.

With a personal nod to Roll the Bones simply because it was my freshman year at college and I had it in rotation back then.
Ditto for Roll the Bones - that album was just out when a friend got me into Rush. We saw them on that 91/92 tour in both Landover and Chapel Hill. Fantastic set list. Bravado would be very high on my list of their best songs.

Tough call. I'll go with Permanent Waves. Here's a tiering exercise which helps a dummy like me parse things out (studio albums only):

Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures
Hemispheres

Signals
Counterparts
Presto
Power Windows
A Farewell to Kings
Roll the Bones

Grace Under Pressure
Caress of Steel
Fly By Night
Clockwork Angels
Rush

Snakes & Arrows
Hold Your Fire
Test for Echo
Vapor Trails

The clincher for me with Permanent Waves is Natural Science, Entre Nous and Jacob's Ladder are all so good. It's honestly really tight between PW and Moving Pictures though.

Not sure which Rush thread to post this. @Ghost Rider to we have a general Rush thread?

found this interesting....

I had started one a while back and it got deleted somehow.

Anyway here is my list:

Tier 1
Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures
Signals
Hemispheres
Power Windows
Grace Under Pressure
A Farewell To Kings
Hold Your Fire
Roll The Bones

Tier 2
Counterparts
Clockwork Angels
Fly By Night
Presto
Snakes And Arrows

Tier 3
Caress of Steel
Rush
Vapor Trail

Live album rankings

Exit Stage Left
A Show of Hands
Different Stages
All The Worlds a Stage
Rush in Rio
Snakes and Arrows Tour
R30
Clockwork Angels Tour
R40
Time Machine

Last edited:
Yeah. not sure if there is an "official" Rush thread, but any of these work.

My Rush album rankings can be often be a bit fluid, but Signals has really risen for me over the years to where it might be a top 5 Rush record for me now.

Moving Pictures, Power Windows and Permanent Waves are pretty set in stone now as my 1a, 1b and 1c albums, with 2112 comfortably holding that 4th spot. Signals would be 5th now.

Not sure which Rush thread to post this. @Ghost Rider to we have a general Rush thread?

found this interesting....

This is worth the watch. Rush's best song, IMO. And one of the best R&R songs ever.

Quick aside...

I used to go to a bar pretty regularly with a buddy to play a few hours of Golden Tee. We'd play for beers and throw money in the juke box. This song was on our rotation, as was The Trees, Working Man, and a few others. We didn't have a lot of $ so the longer songs got the most play.

CCR's Heard It Through the Grape Vine was the greatest value.

Those were the days. GB the Kingfish in Berkeley.

Oh I should probably answer the question.

I remember where I was and who I was with when I heard Tom Sawyer the first time (on vinyl too). I was probably in 5th grade (ok, I don't remember when). I had a buddy Dave whose older brother had great taste in music. Dave would later introduce me to the Grateful Dead and Phish, and that would profoundly impact my life for good reasons.

So Moving Pictures is special to me, and Rush was my first rock and roll love. I had every album on CD and was buying them in real time by the time Hold Your Fire came out. Was not a fan of that album though, and never a fan of anything they did after that. And even looking back, can't say I ever loved Signals, Grace Under Pressure, and a few others. I liked the early stuff.

All the World's a Stage opened my eyes to a lot of the more obscure Rush, so that is an important album for me, but I suspect the spirit of the question (ha) is to pick a studio album.

I have to pick Moving Pictures with Hemispheres and 2112 right up there.

I know Peart wasn't on it, but the eponymous Rush needs some love too (ha again).

Thanks for the question and indulging me. Great trip down memory lane. I pray my kids have similar memories some day.

Yeah. not sure if there is an "official" Rush thread, but any of these work.

My Rush album rankings can be often be a bit fluid, but Signals has really risen for me over the years to where it might be a top 5 Rush record for me now.

Moving Pictures, Power Windows and Permanent Waves are pretty set in stone now as my 1a, 1b and 1c albums, with 2112 comfortably holding that 4th spot. Signals would be 5th now.
My tier 1 top 5 is set in stone.

Signals has aged so incredibly well.....love that album to death.

A gift idea for yourself or the Rush fan in your life. Geddy Lee had released his memoirs - My Effin' Life. It is a great read!
Definitely on my list to read. Ironic title (perhaps intentional) for a guy who’s about as wholesome as it gets in the rock world.

A gift idea for yourself or the Rush fan in your life. Geddy Lee had released his memoirs - My Effin' Life. It is a great read!
Definitely on my list to read. Ironic title (perhaps intentional) for a guy who’s about as wholesome as it gets in the rock world.
I highly recommend the audio book. Geddy reads it and does a great job!!!

I have the hardcover as well. It is a great read.

Is there one with Red Barchetta and YYZ on it? Maybe even back to back? That one.

(I know it's the obvious one. That's fine.)

Last edited:
It's like saying who's your favorite child if you have several....but my short list has to be:

Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures
Hemispheres
A Farewell To Kings

Users who are viewing this thread