What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best smartphone apps for ______________ (1 Viewer)

there's a app I have used a few times seems to work pretty well. if you are at a bar and want to try some new beer but don't know which is 'better'

'

"SIPSNAPP" lets you take a picture of the beer menu and it will pull all the rankings from beeradvocate.com giving you the best available beer
HOLY ####### ####! This is fantastic. :ejaculate:
ios only. BOOOOO!
Just switched to Android two days ago :kicksrock: Might take the old iPhone out on wifi-only just to check this out, did join the waiting list though.

Brewers can't be thrilled about this, some big winners and losers out there if this gains the kind of momentum that it seems like it could.
I'd like to try the app, but I also try not to get too obsessed with the deluge of restaurant, wine, beer ratings & lists. Takes some of the fun out of experimentation
I know what you are saying, but lately I've cut back my drinking quite a bit, so when a I drink, I have less room for crap. Mainly, I want to know if something is rated over 90%, so I don't miss out.

Just waiting for football season, then all these new sports apps I've installed are going to inundate me with notifications :lol: I'll judge at that point which is the best and turn notifications off and/or uninstall

Sound Profile -- It's great to switch for different volume settings. I have it set as different icons on my screen (night, vibrate, silent, normal) and it changes various volumes along with screen dimming (the nice feature).

Screen Filter -- It's a screen dimmer that goes beyond what your phone can do on the lowest screen setting. Great if using your phone in bed and not wanting it too bright. It can get it so dim you can't even see it's on.

Thuuz Sports -- It's nice in that it gives you alerts for "exciting" games. Someone tossing a no hitter or perfect game through 7? It'll show you. It rates different games based on proximity, how close the score is.
gian, and Dentist: who makes the Screen Filter app? The one I downloaded for iOS is garbage. It only works for stuff you have pulled up inside the app. Maybe I got the wrong one.

Sound Profile -- It's great to switch for different volume settings. I have it set as different icons on my screen (night, vibrate, silent, normal) and it changes various volumes along with screen dimming (the nice feature).

Screen Filter -- It's a screen dimmer that goes beyond what your phone can do on the lowest screen setting. Great if using your phone in bed and not wanting it too bright. It can get it so dim you can't even see it's on.

Thuuz Sports -- It's nice in that it gives you alerts for "exciting" games. Someone tossing a no hitter or perfect game through 7? It'll show you. It rates different games based on proximity, how close the score is.
gian, and Dentist: who makes the Screen Filter app? The one I downloaded for iOS is garbage. It only works for stuff you have pulled up inside the app. Maybe I got the wrong one.
Here's the link to the Google Play Store

My two faves that haven't been mentioned yet...

1. Anylist - we have a shared grocery list that everyone in the family can access. Whenever you use the last of something (or want something) you just add it to the list. Whenever my wife or I stop by the store, you can quickly and easily see what you need. Its especially nice during school when the kids want/need stuff for their lunches.
We just use Keep for this.

there's a app I have used a few times seems to work pretty well. if you are at a bar and want to try some new beer but don't know which is 'better'

'

"SIPSNAPP" lets you take a picture of the beer menu and it will pull all the rankings from beeradvocate.com giving you the best available beer
ios only. BOOOOO!
Just switched to Android two days ago :kicksrock: Might take the old iPhone out on wifi-only just to check this out, did join the waiting list though.

Brewers can't be thrilled about this, some big winners and losers out there if this gains the kind of momentum that it seems like it could.
I'd like to try the app, but I also try not to get too obsessed with the deluge of restaurant, wine, beer ratings & lists. Takes some of the fun out of experimentation
I know what you are saying, but lately I've cut back my drinking quite a bit, so when a I drink, I have less room for crap. Mainly, I want to know if something is rated over 90%, so I don't miss out.
similar reason for me. except id rather not pay $7 a pint for a pos beer

Here's the link to the Google Play Store
ah, don't see that one in the Apple store :kicksrock: There's a couple of comparable ones, but they don't have very good reviews

'

ios only. BOOOOO!

similar reason for me. except id rather not pay $7 a pint for a pos beer
Ok, so this app is honestly not so great. When I first used it, I didn't even look at the results, because I was testing out lists from websites, and it was creating results. But when using it while out, I see that most of the results are not actually right.

Video2Photo - allows you to get pictures from your videos

iExit - shows all services for every expressway and US highway exit

Friendly+ - Facebook with adblocker

Anybody have a real good app for alarm clock? Needs to show time constantly when plugged in, have dimmer, snooze etc. Should have ability to wake to other apps like amazon music, podcasts, etc. I'm going to build one that looks like this which is just a wooden box that directs the sound from the iphone speakers.

I looked at iExit and found Roadahead is better.

Roadahead shows the upcoming exits and for gas stations, it also shows the current Unleaded price per gallon right next to the station name so you scroll thru the list quickly to make a decision. Allows you to avoid those exits where all the gas stations at an exit are jacked up higher than normal. I've found it's pretty accurate.

I second:

Waze

Chess time

Weather underground

Uber

Wife and I use OurGroceries to keep a running grocery list that we can share.

Anyone have a shared calendar app?

Wife and I use OurGroceries to keep a running grocery list that we can share.

Will check out OurGroceries, been looking for something like that.

As for shared calendar, I created a new gmail account called lastname.family, then subscribed to this calendar on all of our phones. Set it as our default calendars, so Dr. Appts, baseball practices, etc all get scheduled into that same calendar. Works great.

Don't need an app for that as of IOS 7. Our family has turned on the Icloud Family sharing function already in your Settings. IPhone Calendar then works as a group shared calendar. My wife even can sit on her laptop with Outlook and make changes to her calendar (using Outlook) and I can see the changes on my iPhone because the Outlook calendar is synched with our family icloud.

To do this:

Head of household sets up the Family Icloud (Settings, Icloud) and then invites the other family members to the family icloud. Head of household can choose whether to group share photos, email, contacts, calendars, etc..........we're only sharing the calendar for our family. Each person can keep their individual apple ID and there are even parental controls in case you want to deny purchases by other family members.

It's been a great feature that I love now b/c I now know my wife and kids schedule, especially with many after school activities, practices, games, etc.....and I don't have to ask, I just look at my phone. I did try the Google calendar method, but we didn't like it as much.

I looked at iExit and found Roadahead is better.

Roadahead shows the upcoming exits and for gas stations, it also shows the current Unleaded price per gallon right next to the station name so you scroll thru the list quickly to make a decision. Allows you to avoid those exits where all the gas stations at an exit are jacked up higher than normal. I've found it's pretty accurate.
Cool. Gonna check that one out!

For those who have phones with IR blasters, Anymote Smart TV Remote is a really nice, customizable universal remote app.

I never used the pre-loaded remote app on my Note 3 much after initially playing around with it a bit because it wasn't very versatile. But the macros and other functions on this make it a worthwhile backup to my Harmony remote.

Does anyone love a car finder app?  Ideally one that works without me having to remember to push a button after I park?

Basically, I want to walk out of the store, realize I don't know where my car is, and have an app bail me out.

MileIQ

For any self employed or others that need to track mileage, I've been using MileIQ.

It uses your phone's gps and tracks each drive you take. Then once a week or so you designate all the drives you take by swiping left or right for business or personal.

I'm terrible about keeping a mileage log. This one seems to be pretty functional. It gives you 40 free drives to check it out. I paid about 60$ for a yearly subscription.

Does anyone love a car finder app?  Ideally one that works without me having to remember to push a button after I park?

Basically, I want to walk out of the store, realize I don't know where my car is, and have an app bail me out.
http://findmycarsmarter.com/purchase.html

Hunting around a bit, this looks like the best option - a $25 USB device that automatically saves your location on your phone (when you turn off your car), even without launching the app.  When you can't find your car, launch the app to find it.

Automatic does that but you have to buy the car scanner plugin part... Pretty cool app but probably overkill if you just want a car finder

Last edited by a moderator:
I did finally find a decent app to make a slideshow and add your own background music. Flip-a-gram. Only used it a couple times so far, but it does exactly what I wanted it to do. 

Agent - Do not disturb

uses location and shuts off texts and selected apps when you are driving.  Then saves the location when you stop driving.

For those that use Google Calendar app, will my Reminders (I also use Google Keep) show up on a shared calendar? Like, will my wife see my Reminders?  I've unchecked the box on the app settings, but I can't uncheck the box on the Google Calendar online. 

For those that use Google Calendar app, will my Reminders (I also use Google Keep) show up on a shared calendar? Like, will my wife see my Reminders?  I've unchecked the box on the app settings, but I can't uncheck the box on the Google Calendar online. 
no, reminders don't do that.   So you can definitely set that reminder to masturbate, or to get Janice from Accounting's number.

Finally found a good video editing app. It did cost $4.99 for the full version with full export capabilities, but it's pretty slick and does everything I need to do (splicing, trimming, labeling, intro/outro, etc.)

Perfect Video - Video Editor & Movie Maker (Pro version)

Agent - Do not disturb

uses location and shuts off texts and selected apps when you are driving.  Then saves the location when you stop driving.
I ended up getting a USB chip plus app for this that works great.  http://www.findmycarsmarter.com/

When you start your car, the Find My Car Smarter App wirelessly connects to the Find My Car Smarter Device. After parking, your engine and the Find My Car Smarter Device, powered by your cigarette lighter, turn off. The App realizes that your car is parked and then activates the GPS on your iPhone momentarily to save your car's location. If you lose your car, simply launch the app and it will help you navigate your way back by showing you your current location and the location of where you last parked your car.

looking for an optimizer/cleaner for my android device. too many times i get alerts for "junk files" or need to "boost" with some i've tried. i wish there was something that did that crap automatically. anyone with a recommendation?

Finally found a good video editing app. It did cost $4.99 for the full version with full export capabilities, but it's pretty slick and does everything I need to do (splicing, trimming, labeling, intro/outro, etc.)

Perfect Video - Video Editor & Movie Maker (Pro version)
Do you just use this for video you shoot with your iPhone? Have you ever used it to edit video shot with a bluetooth-connected camera?

Do you just use this for video you shoot with your iPhone? Have you ever used it to edit video shot with a bluetooth-connected camera?
I have used it for iPhone video, and to edit a Flipagram video (to dice it up in to sections). Cannot vouch for bluetooth camera, but if it's readable on your phone/device, I would think it should be able to read it and work with it. 

Have you Score people tried Yahoo Sports? Just downloaded the Score and played with it for a few minutes. Still prefer Yahoo but maybe I'm missing something.
I've used theScore for years now, but I'm not at all a fan of their latest update. Seems much busier and the ads are way more annoying. 

I'm trying out the Yahoo Sports app again and just might stick with it. 

Users who are viewing this thread