What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best WR and/or RB never to post 1000 yards in one season? (1 Viewer)

Sweet Love

IBL Representative
Haven't been in the Pool a lot lately due to work, and meant to get this up prior to preseason, just as a daily time waster. This list of course is totally subjective, but curious to see what people have to add...

By "best", it could be someone whose career was curtailed by injury, someone who just flirted for years in the 900s, etc...in the end, the person you think is worthy of conversation.

Note: (1) A RB with 900 rushing and 400 receiving in a season for example, is eligible. (2) Can't be a current player (as they could be trending players, like DeSean Jackson, who will likely hit that mark).

For me, one of my favorites is Ike Hilliard...

• 8 seasons of over 45 receptions
  • 996 yards receiving was his most yards in one season
  • 546 career receptions
  • 6397 total receiving yards
  • 35 TDs
...and still, did not crack 1000 yards one of those seasons.

Ricky Proehl

What did he play in? 4 superbowls over 18 years?
Proehl sprung to mind fairly quickly. Deion Branch peaked at 998 in his last year in New England (the first time)

Edit - I really wanted to say Ronnie Brown given he looked like a beast for about 6 weeks before getting season-ending injuries every year but he just got 1k one season

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't been in the Pool a lot lately due to work, and meant to get this up prior to preseason, just as a daily time waster. This list of course is totally subjective, but curious to see what people have to add...

By "best", it could be someone whose career was curtailed by injury, someone who just flirted for years in the 900s, etc...in the end, the person you think is worthy of conversation.

Note: (1) A RB with 900 rushing and 400 receiving in a season for example, is eligible. (2) Can't be a current player (as they could be trending players, like DeSean Jackson, who will likely hit that mark).

• 546 career receptions
  • 35 TDs
Nice blast from the past. I always liked Ike Hilliard, and he always seemed to find a place on my teams.........

Ricky Proehl

What did he play in? 4 superbowls over 18 years?
Proehl sprung to mind fairly quickly. Deion Branch peaked at 998 in his last year in New England (the first time)
Good call on those two...completely forgot about them.

For RBs, the FBs mentioned are good (and valid). Deshawn Foster put up three seasons in a row of 879, 897, 876 rushing and ended with 3,570 rushing yards total.

• 546 career receptions
  • 35 TDs
Nice blast from the past. I always liked Ike Hilliard, and he always seemed to find a place on my teams.........
Proehl may take the prize for WRs...669 career receptions, 8878 receiving yards, 54 TDs...877 was his best year...bit more of a compiler compared to Ike, but tough to argue with those numbers.

Two for me would be Wes Walls, had a lot of great years at the TE positions but never 1000 yards and Brandon Jacobs had a solid career but never got to 1000 yards.

Two for me would be Wes Walls, had a lot of great years at the TE positions but never 1000 yards and Brandon Jacobs had a solid career but never got to 1000 yards.
Jacobs actually has two 1000-yard rushing seasons, and did em in fewer than 16 games each, too.Proehl was my first thought. There are some really interesting guys still playing in the mix. If not for just getting over in 2011, Reggie Bush would have been ideal.

Bo Jackson.... I see other people immediately thought of him, too.

He had something like ~950 yards in 11 games, so easily would have crushed the 1,000 yard mark if he didn't play baseball.

He has to be the best answer to this question.

Far from the best player, but I'm noting as a Lions fan that Kevin Smith had 976 yards his rookie season. That's the closest a Detroit back has come to 1,000 yards since 2004.

Pierre Thomas has always been underrated. Unfortunately, he's never gotten enough work to get to 1,000 yards. Same with Darren Sproles, but he's not that type of player anyways.

Hard to think of any WR's....Chris Calloway?

Ricky Proehl is 56th in all time receiving yards but never broke 900 in a year, go figure.

Ozzie Newsome broke 1000 twice, but once by 1 yard and once by 2 yards. A couple HOF only did it once - Berry and Biletnikoff.

Ricky Proehl is 56th in all time receiving yards but never broke 900 in a year, go figure.

Ozzie Newsome broke 1000 twice, but once by 1 yard and once by 2 yards. A couple HOF only did it once - Berry and Biletnikoff.
And Don Hutson and Paul Warfield also only did it once. Obviously when you go back you get into eras of fewer games (and passing attempts), which skews the question a bit.

Lynn Swann never had more than 880 receiving yards in a season.

And Don Hutson and Paul Warfield also only did it once. Obviously when you go back you get into eras of fewer games (and passing attempts), which skews the question a bit.

Lynn Swann never had more than 880 receiving yards in a season.
Yeah, I feel like the spirit of the question almost has to be more like, which player after 1980 or so never had a 1,000 yard season, or before then, an 800 yard season, or before it went to 16 games...

Swann fits the bill, but in that era, nobody was saying, "Wow, only 880 yards receiving? Embarrassing."

Terry Metcalf is worth a mention.

5 straight seasons with over 900 yards from scrimmage (944, 1095, 1194, 925 and 1142), 33 TDs, and a boatload of return yards.

The player I thought of was Mushin Muhammed but he was too good. Eclipsed 1k yards 3 times including 2004 where he had 1400 yards 16 TD.

Besides those 3 years he had 6 seasons between 750-941 yards and 5 years not really worth mentioning (missed games worse than 600 yards).

I was thinking about him in regards to Chases article but he didn't quite fit that criteria either.

Bobby Engram would have had the WR spot all sewn up had it not been for that fluke 1150 yard season at age 34 in the twilight of his career. Joe Jurevicius is another guy who played forever but never topped 1k. Tampa Mike Williams is quickly moving his way up the list at WR, provided he doesn't do something stupid like go for 1,000 yards this year and blow it.

If I'm allowed to cheat, I'd give the WR spot to Rick Upchurch. Despite having just 4700 career yards from scrimmage and 35 career TDs, Upchurch still made four pro bowls, three first-team AP All Pros, and was named to two All-Decade teams (first team All-Decade of the '70s, second team All-Decade of the '80s).

Another older player is Frank Gifford. Over 9000 career yards from scrimmage, and 8 Pro Bowls. Even if the season was 16 games, I don't think he ever would have topped 1000 because he had a somewhat even split between rushing and receiving.

Another older player is Frank Gifford. Over 9000 career yards from scrimmage, and 8 Pro Bowls. Even if the season was 16 games, I don't think he ever would have topped 1000 because he had a somewhat even split between rushing and receiving.
Awesome pick, going old-school. Pro-rating him to 16 games would have actually gotten him over 1,000 receiving yards once (1117 yards in 1959) and 1,000 rushing yards once (1093 yards in 1956), but pro-rating to 16 games would have gotten Bo Jackson over 1,000 yards in three of his four seasons, too.

Curtis Conway had 3 seasons of 1125, 1049, and 1037 Receiving yards but in his other 9 NFL seasons he only topped 750 one other time and in 6 seasons he was below 650.

He finished his career with 594 catches, 8230 receiving yards, and 52 Receiving TDs.

Wayne Chrebet was the first guy I thought of, but he just passed 1,000 once.

Michael Pittman

Ollie Matson

Engram was in the running for this award until he came out of nowhere to put 1100 yards at age 34.

Wayne Chrebet was the first guy I thought of, but he just passed 1,000 once.

Michael Pittman

Ollie Matson
Pittman's a guy I haven't thought about in a while. There was a three-year stretch where he was a really solid back for Tampa.

T.J. Duckett deserves a place in the TD vulture Hall of Fame. For his entire career, he averaged nearly 8 TDs for every 16 games played, yet he was never on pace to top even 900 yards, rushing and receiving combined. There was a 3-year stretch where he averaged 550 yards and 9 TDs. In his final NFL season, he had 172 yards and 8 TDs.

If we're going with the worst players to record a 1,000 yard season, my money's on Patrick Jeffers and Rashaan Salaam.

Carroll Dale (8277 rec yds, 52 TDs)

Boyd Dowler (7270, 40)

Shawn Jefferson (7023, 26)

Willie Gault (6635, 44)

ETA RBs:

Ken Willard (6105 ru yds, 45 TDs)

Emerson Boozer (5135, 52)

Donny Anderson (4696, 41)

Altie Taylor (4308, 24)

Thought of Chris Chambers, but he did have 1 season just over 1100 yds. Lots of seasons in the 700-900 range.

Users who are viewing this thread