What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Ben (1 Viewer)

How is he playing?

• Great

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

switz

Footballguy
Seems a lot of people have been complaining about how terrible Ben Roeth has been playing this season, and yet there are some staunch performers who think he's playing great... what do you think?

Overall, based on numbers it's not looking like he's playing good.

But, if you watch him you quickly realize that a healthy Tom Brady would look like garbage behind that swiss cheese of an offensive line. Add in the fact that he's battling nagging injuries (because of the constant pounding he's taking every other snap) and it's easy to see why his numbers are suffering.

Basically, too many things going against him that are out of his control right now to be playing much better regardless of who would be behind center.

Great is probably an overstatement, but I'd say he's definitely playing VERY well, all things considered. (Getting hit a ton, injuries/suspensions on offense, a good D to deflate stats, etc.)

Steelers are 5-2, so thats def a good thing.

For fantasy though, hes been pretty bad. Some brutal games that have killed my team.

Let me put it this way switz - I think he's the Joseph Addai of QBs this season.

What sucks is I have both of them. :D

Seems a lot of people have been complaining about how terrible Ben Roeth has been playing this season, and yet there are some staunch performers who think he's playing great... what do you think?
Seriously, do you watch any of the games and have any clue what is going on in real time? Or do you just log onto NFL.com and check the stats?Given the situation that he is in, 95% of the QBs would be having a difficult time. That in no way means he is terrible as a QB. He has zero time to throw the ball. He actually should have double the sacks that he does if not for his "escapability". A mojority of the QBs in the league cannot do that like he does. Am I disappointed in the passing game? Sure. Are Ben's numbers poor so far? Sure. But to put the blame on his play is ludicrous.

Im down on Big Ben the way Jeff Pasquino is down on Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger does well when he can ride the defense and the running game and the opposing defense dares him to kill them and he usually does. He'll never be a Carson Palmer, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady typle QB. Even if he did, the Steelers are a conservative team and I dont foresee that ever changing. When I nailed that he was overrated this year (switz strongly believed this as well), I noticed an disturbing low numbing of attempts, he threw the ball the same average per game as Trent Edwards Vince Young and Kyle Orton, not guys you would want as your #1 QB. He hasnt been able to rely on his defense and running game, (just like the year he blamed on the motorcycle accident) and its not going well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, do you watch any of the games and have any clue what is going on in real time? Or do you just log onto NFL.com and check the stats?
Seriously... what about my question has anything to do with watching games or stats? I started a poll based on the varying opinions of people on this board. And didn't even state my own view in the OP as any attempt to sway the way people responded.BTW - the games I've watched of Pitt this year, and no I don't get to see them all, as they aren't all broadcast where I live, Ben has been very indecisive with the football. He's held onto it too long. His throws have been off. He's looked erratic... he's made some amazing plays, but the majority of the time he's looked lost in the pocket.Now maybe I've only gotten to see the bad games... But I'm obviously not the ONLY one who sees things that way.

I thought Roethlisberger was turning the corner before the Giants game. He had thrown 10 TDs in his six previous quarters and was really looking good. But he hasn't handled pressure well this season and when the Giants came after him he played poorly last week.

In his defense, he was a holding call away from a second TD bomb to Washington and having a very good fantasy game. But unless you're in a league which awards points for almost scoring that really doesn't mean squat.

Nice thread man. I love the 2 options that we have to choose from. Keep up the good work........ :wall:

Seriously, do you watch any of the games and have any clue what is going on in real time? Or do you just log onto NFL.com and check the stats?Given the situation that he is in, 95% of the QBs would be having a difficult time. That in no way means he is terrible as a QB. He has zero time to throw the ball. He actually should have double the sacks that he does if not for his "escapability". A mojority of the QBs in the league cannot do that like he does. Am I disappointed in the passing game? Sure. Are Ben's numbers poor so far? Sure. But to put the blame on his play is ludicrous.
He was sacked 47 times last year (404 attempts), and 46 the year before (469 attempts), both in 15 starts. He's been sacked 23 times this year through 7 starts (181 attempts), an identical pace in terms of games played, and only slightly higher in terms of attempts. Why is this year so different in this regard?

Last edited by a moderator:
Im down on Big Ben the way Jeff Pasquino is down on Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger does well when he can ride the defense and the running game and the opposing defense dares him to kill them and he usually does. He'll never be a Carson Palmer, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady typle QB. Even if he did, the Steelers are a conservative team and I dont foresee that ever changing. When I nailed that he was overrated this year (switz strongly believed this as well), I noticed an disturbing low numbing of attempts, he threw the ball the same average per game as Trent Edwards Vince Young and Kyle Orton, not guys you would want as your #1 QB. He hasnt been able to rely on his defense and running game, (just like the year he blamed on the motorcycle accident) and its not going well.
hehe Carson Palmer................... :fishing:

From a real NFL perspective, Ben's have a very good year so far. Anyone who actually watches the games will tell you that. When he has time, he makes plays. When he doesn't have time, he STILL makes plays, but he's taking a beating this year.

From a fantasy perspective, the entire offense is down because the running game and offensive line haven't been what they've been in the past and they haven't been able to sustain as many drives.

But Ben has played very well. The only knock on him is that he sometimes holds the ball too long looking downfield and ends up taking a sack when he probably didn't need to. But with the amount of plays that he's made doing that, you take the good with the bad because the good far outweighs the bad.

And anyone who really wants to argue that he's been carried by his defense and running game doesn't look at anything but statistics. Ben leads the offense and he has for a while now. He doesn't just manage it. But perception is reality around here and people will believe what they want.

Seriously, do you watch any of the games and have any clue what is going on in real time? Or do you just log onto NFL.com and check the stats?
Seriously... what about my question has anything to do with watching games or stats? I started a poll based on the varying opinions of people on this board. And didn't even state my own view in the OP as any attempt to sway the way people responded.BTW - the games I've watched of Pitt this year, and no I don't get to see them all, as they aren't all broadcast where I live, Ben has been very indecisive with the football. He's held onto it too long. His throws have been off. He's looked erratic... he's made some amazing plays, but the majority of the time he's looked lost in the pocket.Now maybe I've only gotten to see the bad games... But I'm obviously not the ONLY one who sees things that way.
It has everything to do with seeing the actual game. Hypothetical. Suppose a QB throws 10 passes. Every pass is right on the mark, but the WR drops it and bounces off into a defenders hands. The QB throws 10 INTs. If I were to look at a website and see 0/10 with 10 INTs, I would say he is the worst QB on the planet. Different story if Im watching the actual game. This is an exaggeration, but stats dont always tell a true story without watching a game. Point being, the Steelers would not be 5-2 without some of the plays he has made.

Seriously... what about my question has anything to do with watching games or stats? I started a poll based on the varying opinions of people on this board. And didn't even state my own view in the OP as any attempt to sway the way people responded.
There are at least 3 opinions on this board. Ben rocks, Ben sucks, or Ben's doing alright. I'm in the 3rd category, but you wouldn't list that opinion.I responded with my first comment not looking at who posted first. When I come to FBG or any other site, I look through the menu, right click "open in new tab" for the threads I want to read, then respond to them. So I have many threads open at once and read them succesively.

I've never doubted the fact that he is skilled. I've compared him to Jim McMahon. McMahon had talent but kept getting hurt. From age 27-29 he missed a ton of games. At age 30 the Bears got tired of it, dealt him to the Chargers and let Harbaugh and Tomczak fight it out for the starting job. I think he plays well when healthy, although he may be developing some bad habits this year.

When he's had time to throw, he's been very good. His accuracy on deep balls is Manning-esque. He doesn't miss a ton of intermediate throws like Derek Anderson does. He's far better than Jim McMahon. However, he's been batted around like a pinata many weeks, so his #s are down. He was never going to hit for 32 TDs like he did last year, that was a fluke. But the Steelers are 5-2 and on top of the division in no small part to Roethlisberger. The answer lies in between the poll choices, but he's been great more than he's been terrible. The 4 INTs last week look awful on paper, but 1 was a perfect throw that was jarred loose from the reciver with a big hit and caught before it hit the ground. Another was a forced throw on 4th down that actually netted the Steelers more yards than if he had thrown it away. A third was a hail mary on the last play of the game. So, he really only threw 1 legitimate pick. Stats don't always tell the tale, and that's what fantasy-only fans miss sometimes.

When he's had time to throw, he's been very good. His accuracy on deep balls is Manning-esque. He doesn't miss a ton of intermediate throws like Derek Anderson does. He's far better than Jim McMahon. However, he's been batted around like a pinata many weeks, so his #s are down. He was never going to hit for 32 TDs like he did last year, that was a fluke. But the Steelers are 5-2 and on top of the division in no small part to Roethlisberger. The answer lies in between the poll choices, but he's been great more than he's been terrible. The 4 INTs last week look awful on paper, but 1 was a perfect throw that was jarred loose from the reciver with a big hit and caught before it hit the ground. Another was a forced throw on 4th down that actually netted the Steelers more yards than if he had thrown it away. A third was a hail mary on the last play of the game. So, he really only threw 1 legitimate pick. Stats don't always tell the tale, and that's what fantasy-only fans miss sometimes.
So what you're saying is that if we take away his three unluckiest INT's, . . .

So what you're saying is that if we take away his three unluckiest INT's, . . .
:mellow: What you said is true Evilgrin but you can't use that as an argument. Every qb throws ints that aren't necessarily his fault. Those are the breaks but unfortunately you have to judge them on something. Over the course of the season, it all balances out and usually the good qbs are the ones who don't throw ints and the bad ones are the ones who do.

All I'm saying is that if you're talking about playing "great" or "terrible" - it helps to actually watch. You can't judge it based solely on stats. His stat line in the Giants game looks JT Sullivan-esque at a glance, but the bottom line is that the turnovers aren't what decided the game. Just looking at the #s though, you'd think he blew it for them single-handedly.

Users who are viewing this thread