What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Money league (1 Viewer)

How money would you pay to be in this league?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Even more than that!

• Total voters

chris1969

Footballguy
This is not a recruiting thread.

I'm interested in starting a league this year to attract the high rollers of fantasy football. I'm thinking of recruiting on the boards here. It would be a simple redraft league with yahoo hosting. 1st place would get 70% and second would get 30%. I want to price it high enough to get the most money in the pot possible, but low enough to get 12 teams. What do you think I should set the fee at?

I'm interested in starting a league this year to attract the high rollers of fantasy football. I'm thinking of recruiting on the boards here. It would be a simple redraft league with yahoo hosting. 1st place would get 70% and second would get 30%. I want to price it high enough to get the most money in the pot possible, but low enough to get 12 teams. What do you think I should set the fee at?
Go for it and I admire your quest. A lot of these variables would be determined from this site by people who think they "know" you. It would come down to a trust issue I guess. If Dodds did this, I bet he'd easily be able to fill a 12 team league with $5 K buy ins. Other posters might have a hard time getting others to contribute more than $100. Guys like Unlucky have built up a huge amount of trust given the leagues that he does each year. You probably have to start small and work your way up.

Go for it and I admire your quest. A lot of these variables would be determined from this site by people who think they "know" you. It would come down to a trust issue I guess. If Dodds did this, I bet he'd easily be able to fill a 12 team league with $5 K buy ins. Other posters might have a hard time getting others to contribute more than $100. Guys like Unlucky have built up a huge amount of trust given the leagues that he does each year. You probably have to start small and work your way up.
Good point! Maybe I could talk DD or someone else into holding the money for it, as I would assume that's where the whole trust issue comes into play.

Kinda sounds like one...I wouldn't invest even $500 for an unenforceable gambling debt with someone I never met on a message board. Even with people you know if they don't pay you, there is really not a whole lot you can do to collect it if you win, but you don't get paid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda sounds like one...I wouldn't invest even $500 for an unenforceable gambling debt with someone I never met on a message board. Even with people you know if they don't pay you, there is really not a whole lot you can do to collect it if you win, but you don't get paid.
I'm sure that's an issue for a lot of guys and it would be an issue for me as well. I'm sure I could figure out a way to insure payout though.
Why yahoo?
It's free so no money comes out of the pot. It's a pretty stable site. (important when there's a lot of money on the line) and it features a live draft. That's not set in stone. I'd be happy with other suggestions.

Why yahoo?
It's free so no money comes out of the pot. It's a pretty stable site. (important when there's a lot of money on the line) and it features a live draft. That's not set in stone. I'd be happy with other suggestions.
If someone is willing to pony up $500 or more for a league, I'm sure they won't mind spending another $7 for a better host site like MFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why yahoo?
If someone is willing to pony up $500 or more for a league, I'm sure they won't mind spending another $7 for a better host site like MFL.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they have a few site outages last year?

Why yahoo?
None of mine were affected. They also didn't list Colston as a TE during the season.

Why yahoo?
None of mine were affected. They also didn't list Colston as a TE during the season.
I agree fully at the Colston at TE thing, but that would be much easier to deal with than a guy that invested a few thousand dollars that wasn't able to adjust his line-up

I had multiple leagues there last year. Only outage I can remember having ever experienced in 5 years on their site was an outage on Live Scoring last year that was 1/2 hour or so.

george said:
chris1969 said:
I had multiple leagues there last year. Only outage I can remember having ever experienced in 5 years on their site was an outage on Live Scoring last year that was 1/2 hour or so.
If it was only scoring, that's fine. Stability would be my main concern for a site. In fact now that I think of it, it would probably be a good idea to have a web form set up in case there was a site outage. a guy would be ready to lynch you if he couldn't submit a lineup.

So far, my guess is that a 1000 may be the limit. I'm sure a few guys would exaggerate what they would really pay in a poll where they don't actually have to.

Apparently whatever it is - it needs to end with two zeros. $500 and a grand are both popular choices but $750 is completely unacceptable.

I am in two 14 teams leagues with a 1K fee.

The big dollar gets rid of the riff raff and keeps guys competing.

Rule Number 1 when palying for money:Never play with people you don't know!
If you're female, a good rule.Guys however are able to use something called common sense. I play poker for money all the time with people I've never met or seen before. I've never met anyone in my FF $$$ leagues. Don't worry, most people are generally fairly trustworthy and reliable, just use some common sense.

My feelings too Giggity. Your friends are only gonna let you take so much money from them, but there's an endless supply of strangers. I think as long as I go out of my way to insure winnings are paid out properly, I think that I'll get enough prospects. After the first year, it'll get easier as well.

I don't think you can have trades in that kind of league, either. You also have to be careful about people who know each other playing...because at 5K per entry, pride goes out the window.

"Hey, you need a win to make the playoffs. If I throw my game to you this week (I'm already out of it), and you end up in the money, can I have my entry fee back?"

"Sure."

Or how about

There's one good RB on the waiver wire, and your opponent has waiver priority over you. You need the win to make the playoffs, and he needs the RB. Can you contact a bottom-feeder who is out of the running and pay them $100 to pay attention and take the guy?

With 42 grand on the line, you can expect a lot of that.

I don't think you can have trades in that kind of league, either. You also have to be careful about people who know each other playing...because at 5K per entry, pride goes out the window."Hey, you need a win to make the playoffs. If I throw my game to you this week (I'm already out of it), and you end up in the money, can I have my entry fee back?""Sure."Or how about There's one good RB on the waiver wire, and your opponent has waiver priority over you. You need the win to make the playoffs, and he needs the RB. Can you contact a bottom-feeder who is out of the running and pay them $100 to pay attention and take the guy?With 42 grand on the line, you can expect a lot of that.
The best way to do it would be draft masters. Draft, then you're merely a cheerleader. For those who have limited time, they are great options. You can play in 7-8 leagues, and they take up no time beyond the initial draft.

Users who are viewing this thread