What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Biggest Rip-Off Ever - Valentine's Day Flowers (1 Viewer)

MattFancy

Footballguy
So on my way in to work this morning, I hear a promo for Pro Flowers. A dozen roses and chocolate covered strawberries for $39.99. I'm thinking, yeah that sounds like a pretty good deal, Mrs. Fancy will like that. Go on to Pro Flowers, find the deal and proceed to checkout. Everything looks good so far, put in the address and ready to see the final cost. SEVENTY ####### DOLLARS AND 95 CENTS!!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!?! And that's not even having it delivered on Valentine's Day. These places are such a rip off this time of year. Promo code my ###!

If you really have to buy flowers for your wife, just get them at the grocery store. Several around here have pretty big floral departments.

I am lucky. Wife and I decided long ago instead of exchanging gifts we would rather spend the money on travel.

I thought love is a two way street..how come all valentines ads are geared towards giving women gifts but nothing about men?

/ puresexism

I used a promo code from them one year. I think it was for Valentine's Day. It was 29.99 with a ridiculous amount of add on fees and when it showed up, it was like a dandelion in a cup.

So on my way in to work this morning, I hear a promo for Pro Flowers. A dozen roses and chocolate covered strawberries for $39.99. I'm thinking, yeah that sounds like a pretty good deal, Mrs. Fancy will like that. Go on to Pro Flowers, find the deal and proceed to checkout. Everything looks good so far, put in the address and ready to see the final cost. SEVENTY ####### DOLLARS AND 95 CENTS!!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!?! And that's not even having it delivered on Valentine's Day. These places are such a rip off this time of year. Promo code my ###!
I think I see the problem here...you used the wrong promo code.

Flowers to her office. Huge scam 18 Tulips ended up being about $70. Do it on or around Valentine's Day and then some other random time through the year.

Don't know if she really cares but can't hurt.

The UPS guy that comes to my office hates ProFlowers. He is loaded down with hundreds of boxes of crappy flowers. I look forward to his rants every year. Should be firing up any time now. . .

If you really have to buy flowers for your wife, just get them at the grocery store. Several around here have pretty big floral departments.

I am lucky. Wife and I decided long ago instead of exchanging gifts we would rather spend the money on travel.
I usually buy all flowers from Giant. They're good quality and last awhile. But when I heard that promo this morning, I thought it was a solid deal. Didn't realize I'd have to pay an extra $30 to ship the crap.

Whole Foods has two dozen roses for $30. My son and I go every year and buy four doz, have them split them up into 4, one each for wife, two daughters and MIL who lives w/ us. Stupid tradition but the girls like it, easy and relatively cheap.

This is yet another way a Costco membership pays for itself.

Two dozen very nice roses for something like $15. They do a bunch of other arrangements as well if your wife is the anti-roses type.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Scam", Rip off"

Prices are clearly marked on an optional purchase, no?

"Not worth it" seems the more proper categorization.

"Scam", Rip off"

When they run promos saying it's going to cost $X and then you get to the checkout and its $Z. That's not really clearly marked. Sure, I expect to pay for shipping/handling, but $30 for shipping on a $40 purchase seems a little much.

"Scam", Rip off"

Yeah, something qualifies as a scam when you don't get what you pay for, or are bamboozled into the purchase, or some other shenanigans, no?

When something is an optional purchase, and they just so happen to mark said purchase up during their time of highest demand..... well, hard to feel sorry for ya.

You're a FBG for Christ sakes starting acting like it. We wipe our asses with $100 bills :rant:

TheBouqs.com

I've had horrible experiences with pretty much all the flower sites until The Bouqs (featured on Shark Tank). The other sites fulfill via local florists, so you typically get tons of substitution, the arrangements look nothing like what you pay for, and there's all kinds of up-charges and fees.

They don't come delivered by some dingus in a van all pretty and arranged, but they score brownie points just the same. They're also shipped typically straight from the grower, so they're super fresh and generally last longer than even florist flowers. The price you see on the website is the price you pay, and the arrangement you're paying for is the one you get (i.e. no substitutions like the other sites).

Highly recommend. Sent a huge arrangement of some kind of flower I'd never heard of to my wife, being delivered today, for $35 out the door. They had a 25% off if you had them delivered today vs. V-day...Roses are a bit more than what I sent, but still, you can get a decent arrangement for well under $50.

Yeah the add on fees and delivery costs are more than the flowers.

I just go to local supermarket and get two dozen roses and arrange myself.

"Scam", Rip off"

When they run promos saying it's going to cost $X and then you get to the checkout and its $Z. That's not really clearly marked. Sure, I expect to pay for shipping/handling, but $30 for shipping on a $40 purchase seems a little much.
You still didn't get scammed or ripped off. Misled maybe.

"Scam", Rip off"

Yeah, something qualifies as a scam when you don't get what you pay for, or are bamboozled into the purchase, or some other shenanigans, no?

When something is an optional purchase, and they just so happen to mark said purchase up during their time of highest demand..... well, hard to feel sorry for ya.
I would think you could qualify for being "ripped off" when these national floral delivery companies deliver you flowers that end up dead in 3 days. Just went to Proflowers and they have a line in there on some roses about being "guaranteed to last a week". If they start looking pathetic on day 4 but don't spontaneously combust before day 8, I guess they would meet that guarantee.

People are arguing semantics here. Everyone knows what Matt meant. Its probably best to just realize anything involving women costs a lot more than it "should".

Weddings, purses, candles, tote bags, storage containers....on and on.

Two dozen very nice roses for something like $15. They do a bunch of other arrangements as well if your wife is the anti-roses type.
LOL, saw this thread and was going to post the exact same thing. I think it is $20, but 2 dozen nice roses. Also, my wife always loved yellow roses, so always some nice choices to change things up a bit from just red. Great deal and there is always inventory, because how many guys do Costco shopping alone.

People are arguing semantics here. Everyone knows what Matt meant. Its probably best to just realize anything involving women costs a lot more than it "should".

Weddings, purses, candles, tote bags, storage containers....on and on.
Well then it's the woman who is scamming you.

Last edited by a moderator:

LOL, saw this thread and was going to post the exact same thing. I think it is $20, but 2 dozen nice roses. Also, my wife always loved yellow roses, so always some nice choices to change things up a bit from just red. Great deal and there is always inventory, because how many guys do Costco shopping alone.
Besides the standard x dozen roses, they have so really nice arraignments at a price that can't be beat. Costco rules. And you couldn't pay me to shop with my wife.

Besides the standard x dozen roses, they have so really nice arraignments at a price that can't be beat. Costco rules. And you couldn't pay me to shop with my wife.
LOL, agreed. I like to do all my Costco shopping by myself. My wife only goes on occasion if we have to go to ****'s or something close to there (unfortunately, it's 20-25 minutes away). The savings on roses can pay for the Costco membership if you get them a few times a year.

I get my wife the same thing every Valentine's day. I "regive" her the card I gave to her the night that I proposed with the following added to the bottom:

"redeem for one more year of marriage".

She puts it in my backpack the next morning with a note:

"Best Deal I've Ever Gotten".

24 years now........just wondering how much we've saved.

I get my wife the same thing every Valentine's day. I "regive" her the card I gave to her the night that I proposed with the following added to the bottom:

Almost enough to pay me back for the laptop I just puked all over.

Yeah the add on fees and delivery costs are more than the flowers.

I just go to local supermarket and get two dozen roses and arrange myself.
Yeah but like for Mother's Day I have to send flowers and no matter who you use, the fees are ridiculous. $39.99 for flowers, $10 for a little teddy bear, $119 shipping and handling.

"Scam", Rip off"

You still didn't get scammed or ripped off.Misled maybe.
Correct term is "Bait and Switch".

"Scam", Rip off"

You still didn't get scammed or ripped off.Misled maybe.
Correct term is "Bait and Switch".
Usually that term means the product was switched for something else.Man, I'm really going full Christo here aren't I?

so gay

;)

It is foolish to buy flowers online and have them delivered. Spending money is one thing. Wasting money is another.

I just buy my wife a card. If I have time, I stop and pick up a small arrangement of flowers from the grocery store. I send her flowers to her office on some random day throughout the year. She loves that.

Valentines Day is stupid.

LOL, agreed. I like to do all my Costco shopping by myself. My wife only goes on occasion if we have to go to ****'s or something close to there (unfortunately, it's 20-25 minutes away). The savings on roses can pay for the Costco membership if you get them a few times a year.
There are a wide range of areas where a costco Membership pays for itself every year... the flowers are definitely one.

Costco rules so hard. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread