What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Billy Wagner stunned at college kids playing to win... (1 Viewer)

LILB811

Footballguy
My apologies if this had been posted, I didn't see it anywhere.

story

Basically Billy Wagner of the professional New York Mets was PO'd that a college kid tried to advance a runner with a bunt in an exhibition game. He claims that had the bunt attempt landed in fair territory, he would have pegged the next batter.

The Mets in the game apparently attempted at least 4 bunts on their own. Is this serious? If the guy did not want to have to field his position why is he even in the game? Go throw long toss in the outfield or eat sunflower seeds in the dugout. I personally couldn't stand Billy Wagner well before this, and this to me seems ridiculous. A baseball player.... having to play baseball?

This wasn't as much of a "hey here's a baseball story" as it was a "professional athlete is upset that opponent wants to win an exhibition game" story.

These kids came from Michigan to play the Mets on their month long vacation in Florida. And a guy who has been in the league for many years wants to peg a kid for dropping a bunt? Seriously?

story

Basically Billy Wagner of the professional New York Mets was PO'd that a college kid tried to advance a runner with a bunt in an exhibition game. He claims that had the bunt attempt landed in fair territory, he would have pegged the next batter.

The Mets in the game apparently attempted at least 4 bunts on their own. Is this serious? If the guy did not want to have to field his position why is he even in the game? Go throw long toss in the outfield or eat sunflower seeds in the dugout. I personally couldn't stand Billy Wagner well before this, and this to me seems ridiculous. A baseball player.... having to play baseball?
Apparently you both need to brush up on your Grapefruit League Code of EthicsTM. :thumbup:

This wasn't as much of a "hey here's a baseball story" as it was a "professional athlete is upset that opponent wants to win an exhibition game" story.These kids came from Michigan to play the Mets on their month long vacation in Florida. And a guy who has been in the league for many years wants to peg a kid for dropping a bunt? Seriously?
Wagner has already proven that he's a ##### bag, so I guess I'm not surprised by this. I can't see why he shouldn't bunt just because it's an exhibition game. In the end it will just make it a little bit sweeter next time Wagner gets owned by Pat Burrell.

It's not a matter of trying to peg a kid, it's a matter of pride. Michigan wanted to win that game. I never heard of a team that wanted to lose. If that means laying down a bunt on wagner, well, let him go chase one, and then get into trouble by pegging college kids. Michigan had the lead for a sizable chunk of the game, as well.

I don't get it, and I played ball through college. Is he scared that he may get hurt fielding the bunt? Is it some stupid un-written baseball "rule" that I've never heard of? Here's to you Billy Wagner, a fine example of a baseball player who doesn't deserve a paycheck for playing a game...go back to whatever town you came from...

Last edited by a moderator:

story

Wagner = D Bag

How dare these kids try and win

What was the scenario overall scenario here? Really, IMO, the only time a bunt is shady is if it's done to bust up a no-hitter.

This wasn't as much of a "hey here's a baseball story" as it was a "professional athlete is upset that opponent wants to win an exhibition game" story.These kids came from Michigan to play the Mets on their month long vacation in Florida. And a guy who has been in the league for many years wants to peg a kid for dropping a bunt? Seriously?
Wagner has already proven that he's a ##### bag, so I guess I'm not surprised by this. I can't see why he shouldn't bunt just because it's an exhibition game. In the end it will just make it a little bit sweeter next time Wagner gets owned by Pat Burrell.
#### Pat Burrell. Ugliest swing ever.

story

Apparently you both need to brush up on your Grapefruit League Code of EthicsTM. :confused:
Saw Jim Rome talk about his on his show yesterday. Rome made a convincing argument that winning an exhibition game between MLB and college is not the point. The point is that these college kids get to a play big league team. He mentioned that there are some understood rules of exhibition play that bunting a runner to 3rd is tantamount to a major league insult. If you want to win an exhibition game, win it by swinging the bat. Apparently going down swinging is better than bunting in an exhibition game. Rome went on to say that going down looking is better than bunting.While I'm sure Wagner would have been crucified had he plunked the next batter, I kinda understand his point. Get out there and swing the ####### bat! It's an exhibition game. Nobody cares about winning, at least not the big boys.

story

Apparently you both need to brush up on your Grapefruit League Code of EthicsTM. ;)
Saw Jim Rome talk about his on his show yesterday. Rome made a convincing argument that winning an exhibition game between MLB and college is not the point. The point is that these college kids get to a play big league team. He mentioned that there are some understood rules of exhibition play that bunting a runner to 3rd is tantamount to a major league insult. If you want to win an exhibition game, win it by swinging the bat. Apparently going down swinging is better than bunting in an exhibition game. Rome went on to say that going down looking is better than bunting.While I'm sure Wagner would have been crucified had he plunked the next batter, I kinda understand his point. Get out there and swing the ####### bat! It's an exhibition game. Nobody cares about winning, at least not the big boys.
Why do they even bother playing college teams then? Just play all your exhibition games against the MLB teams. Personally, I think that kid would much rather say "our team beat the Mets" than "I got to stand at the plate and strike out looking against world class Billy Wagner"

story

Apparently you both need to brush up on your Grapefruit League Code of EthicsTM. ;)
This makes sense.

story

Why do they even bother playing college teams then? Just play all your exhibition games against the MLB teams. Personally, I think that kid would much rather say "our team beat the Mets" than "I got to stand at the plate and strike out looking against world class Billy Wagner"
Even had the kids won, they really wouldn't have won. Know what I'm sayin? Swing the bat.

story

Apparently you both need to brush up on your Grapefruit League Code of EthicsTM. :crazy:
This makes sense.
That doesn't make any sense at all. Since it's a practice game, maybe the guy wanted some practice bunting off a guy that throws 95+mph, something you don't see everyday. Obviously he could use it since it says he bunted it foul. I guess you would think it was justified if you took one in the ribs because your teammate bunted in an exhibition game :lmao:

story

Apparently you both need to brush up on your Grapefruit League Code of EthicsTM. :lmao:
Even had the kids won, they really wouldn't have won. Know what I'm sayin? Swing the bat.
I know what you're sayin. The Mets don't want to have to give a full effort in an exhibition game and they think the college kids should respect that.

#### Pat Burrell. Ugliest swing ever.
Not even close to ugliest swing ever.

story

Apparently you both need to brush up on your Grapefruit League Code of EthicsTM. :confused:
This makes sense.
Then why did the Mets attempt 4 bunts in the game? :goodposting: Should the college pitcher have plunked the next Met up to bat?

Jim Rome:

Kevin, I’m the last guy who should have to tell you this, but the big leaguers are out there to get their work in, break a sweat, stretch their legs and beat it out of there. The last thing Billy Wagner wants to do is bust it off the mound to field a bunt against a college player who happens to think it’s the 9th inning of Game 7 of the World Series! Kevin, exactly what were you thinking?! Were you going to tell your grandkids about the time you advanced you runner with a bunt against the great Billy Wagner? Wouldn’t you rather tell them about how you once hit a rope off him? Going down swinging is still ten times better than successfully bunting on him. Hell, going down looking is better! … winning is the last thing on anyone’s mind in those MLB vs. College matchups!

story

Apparently you both need to brush up on your Grapefruit League Code of EthicsTM. :shock:
This makes sense.
Then why did the Mets attempt 4 bunts in the game? :no: Should the college pitcher have plunked the next Met up to bat?
Well perhaps Michigan should ask permission to bunt from now on. Maybe Billy should just tell them what he wants them to do. No bunting. No going down looking no matter where he throws it. No going opposite way either. If you want to win, make it on a line drive off the foul poll, no higher than 25 feet up, and THATS IT. Otherwise everyone gets plunked, because Billy says so.

story

This makes sense.
Then why did the Mets attempt 4 bunts in the game? :unsure: Should the college pitcher have plunked the next Met up to bat?
Well perhaps Michigan should ask permission to bunt from now on. Maybe Billy should just tell them what he wants them to do. No bunting. No going down looking no matter where he throws it. No going opposite way either. If you want to win, make it on a line drive off the foul poll, no higher than 25 feet up, and THATS IT. Otherwise everyone gets plunked, because Billy says so.
No booing him... :rant:

I don't get it, and I played ball through college. Is he scared that he may get hurt fielding the bunt? Is it some stupid un-written baseball "rule" that I've never heard of? Here's to you Billy Wagner, a fine example of a baseball player who doesn't deserve a paycheck for playing a game...go back to whatever town you came from...
As an Astros fan, please no.

Jim Rome:

Kevin, I’m the last guy who should have to tell you this, but the big leaguers are out there to get their work in, break a sweat, stretch their legs and beat it out of there. The last thing Billy Wagner wants to do is bust it off the mound to field a bunt against a college player who happens to think it’s the 9th inning of Game 7 of the World Series! Kevin, exactly what were you thinking?! Were you going to tell your grandkids about the time you advanced you runner with a bunt against the great Billy Wagner? Wouldn’t you rather tell them about how you once hit a rope off him? Going down swinging is still ten times better than successfully bunting on him. Hell, going down looking is better! … winning is the last thing on anyone’s mind in those MLB vs. College matchups!
Next time I'm warming up in the driveway for intramural basketball season and one of the snot-nosed brats from across the street wants to play, if he tries to beat me I'm pegging his little brother in the face with the ball. He should just be happy to be on the same court with my greatness and should lose with some dignity (ie letting me dunk on him without putting up a fight).This seems equivalent to striking out looking vs. bunting to help your team win

I still don't see why the kid would bunt with one out and a guy on second. I could see if the guy was on first but why bunt him to third and make 2 outs. No sac fly now :boxing:

So we have established today that eight years olds should be playing for the jugular in rec leagues and trying to win is insulting in the majors and college. :shrug:

Maude said:
Jim Rome:

Rome is wrong here. If the Mets and Wags didn't care about winning then they simply field the bunt and throw the batter giving himself up in the sacrifice out at first. Most MLB squads I agree don't bunt there. However, most of the guys playing in the latter innings of Grapefruit League games this early on in spring training are non-roster invitee types who are playing for a contract in AAA. These college kids definitely wanted to win and shouldn't be called out for trying to do so.

Woz said:
Maude said:
glock said:
LILB811 said:

story

Apparently you both need to brush up on your Grapefruit League Code of EthicsTM. :cool:
This makes sense.
Not to me. Why would the best play in a regular game not be the best play in an exhibition game?

#### Billy Wagner.

If he'd've beaned a MI player, Fred Wilpon would have traded him the next day.

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!!

Rome is wrong here.
:sadbanana:If Wagner doesn't want to field a bunt, he doesn't have to. There's no call to get nasty about some kid (note kid, obviously doesn't know any differently) doing what he thinks he needs to do to win a game.I've never liked Rome, this is just one more reason not to like him.

Rome is wrong here.
:goodposting:If Wagner doesn't want to field a bunt, he doesn't have to. There's no call to get nasty about some kid (note kid, obviously doesn't know any differently) doing what he thinks he needs to do to win a game.I've never liked Rome, this is just one more reason not to like him.
Rome has to kiss MLB players asses so they keep appearing on his show, that college kid is too much of a nobody to concern Rome.

Rome has to kiss MLB players asses so they keep appearing on his show,
That's a great point too, which is just another of the factors that makes Rome irrelevant to me. I haven't listened to or watched this guy for like 5 or 10 years, and couldn't listen to him for very long when I did, because he's that transparent, inane and obnoxious - like most talk show hosts.I guess Jim Everett is the exception to your point though...

Maude said:
glock said:
LILB811 said:

story

Apparently you both need to brush up on your Grapefruit League Code of EthicsTM. :goodposting:
What little rulebook does Jim Rome keep these in for future reference? Because I've watched and played a lot of ball for a long time, I've NEVER heard this. To quote my man Herm, "You play to win the game". Do you sell out and full on emote in exhibitions, either celebrating or feeling crushed? No. Is an exhibition to get your work in? Yes. But maybe getting the bunt down was part of the work that The Wovlerines were doing. Its too bad Wagner can't show the same fire he does against a college middle infielder batting 8th when he gets on the mound in the postseason and surrenders rockets all over the field.

Ah, I don't see what's so difficult for Wagner to see. The college kids want to beat the Mets. They tried to bunt to accomplish that. Other major league teams don't have to prove anything. For a lot of the college players, it's the closest they'll get to the majors. Wagner is clearly a moron.

belljr said:
I still don't see why the kid would bunt with one out and a guy on second. I could see if the guy was on first but why bunt him to third and make 2 outs. No sac fly now :goodposting:
Bunting for a hit...Or, he wanted to piss off Billy Wagner

My question is, did the kid bunt on his own? What if he's ripping the kid for following his coach's signals?

Users who are viewing this thread