What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Blake Bortles - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Jaguars selected UCF QB Blake Bortles with the No. 3 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft.
Shocker. We knew it was too quiet out there on Bortles, and he's the first quarterback off the board. Bortles (6-foot-5, 232) was a two-year starter for the Golden Knights, leaving school with a 65.7 completion rate and 56:19 TD-to-INT ratio. He added 15 rushing scores and is a plus-yardage scrambling threat. Bortles looks like Andrew Luck on game tape in terms of his size-athleticism combination, but at this point in time plays more like Jake Locker, with shaky footwork and erratic accuracy. We admire Bortles' toughness and pocket movement, but he's a project with lower-body mechanical issues, sub-optimal hand size (9 3/8"), and underwhelming arm strength. He should get the nod under center in Week 1. The Jaguars are going to pound the ball on the ground.

Blake Bortles heading to Jacksonville, which needs receiversBy Mike Huguenin

College Football 24/7 writer

The first big surprise of the first round was the Jacksonville Jaguars taking UCF quarterback Blake Bortles with the No. 3 pick.

Bortles (6-foot-5, 232 pounds) "is a prototypical pro quarterback," NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner said. "He's a great piece to build around."

Despite that, though, "I'm a little bit surprised that it's Bortles (as the first quarterback) over (Johnny) Manziel," Warner said.

NFL Network analyst Michael Irvin liked the pick, but he also threw a wet blanket of sorts on the announcement.

"You better get some help around that kid," he said.

Jacksonville was 22nd in the league in pass offense in 2013, and the lackluster aerial performance can't all be blamed on veteran quarterback Chad Henne, who was re-signed and might start the 2014 season as the starter while Bortles finds his way. As Irvin pointed out, the Jaguars are not loaded with big-time receivers -- or, frankly, many mid-level receivers.

Justin Blackmon was the Jaguars' first-round pick in 2012, but he has underachieved and has off-field issues; there is no guarantee he will be back this season. Cecil Shorts led the Jaguars with 66 receptions last season, but he would be a No. 3 receiver on most teams.

One positive for Bortles and Jacksonville's front office: This is a deep draft for receivers, and it wouldn't be a surprise if the Jaguars -- who started the draft with 11 total picks -- used three on wideouts. Potential second-day targets could be Penn State's Allen Robinson, Fresno State's Davante Adams and Clemson's Martavis Bryant in the second round (seventh selection in the round, 39th overall), while LSU's Jarvis Landry and Wyoming's Robert Herron could be third-round guys (sixth pick in round, 70th overall).

Targets on the third day -- Jacksonville has eight picks on the third day, including three in the fifth -- at wide receiver should include Grand Valley State's Jeff Janis, Tulane's Ryan Grant, Wake Forest's Michael Campanaro and Rutgers' Brandon Coleman.

With Bortles in the fold, the need at wide receiver overshadows all others, though an offensive tackle figures to be a position the Jaguars look to fill on the second day, in whichever round they don't go for a receiver.

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

I guess he really did take over the room when he visited. Was his GF there by any chance?

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Britt McHenry reported on SportsCenter Friday that the Jaguars would have drafted Blake Bortles even if Jadeveon Clowney slipped to No. 3.
Per McHenry, the Jaguars view Bortles as a "once in a generation" type of quarterback prospect. We're not sure we buy this pure-hindsight report, but there's no question Jacksonville is exceedingly high on Bortles, considering they drafted him over Sammy Watkins, Khalil Mack, and Mike Evans. The Jaguars' current plan is to sit Bortles for most of the 2014 season. Expect them to bolster their offensive line and/or wide receiver corps at picks 39 and 70.

The Florida Times Union feels No. 3 overall pick Blake Bortles will open the season as the backup to Chad Henne.
Specifically, beat writer Ryan O'Halloran predicts Bortles won't make his first start until Week 8. Bortles' footwork and accuracy need work, as well as some cleaning up of his mechanics. No matter who is under center come Week 1 for the Jaguars, OC Jedd Fisch is going to lean on Toby Gerhart and the running game. Bortles' time should come sooner rather than later.

Related: Chad Henne

Source: Ryan O'Halloran on Twitter

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN's Britt McHenry reported on SportsCenter Friday that the Jaguars would have drafted Blake Bortles even if Jadeveon Clowney slipped to No. 3.

Per McHenry, the Jaguars view Bortles as a "once in a generation" type of quarterback prospect. We're not sure we buy this pure-hindsight report, but there's no question Jacksonville is exceedingly high on Bortles, considering they drafted him over Sammy Watkins, Khalil Mack, and Mike Evans. The Jaguars' current plan is to sit Bortles for most of the 2014 season. Expect them to bolster their offensive line and/or wide receiver corps at picks 39 and 70.
:wall:

Rotoworld:

In a league with a hard salary cap, schedule parity, 53-man roster limits, relatively little collective bargaining power, and a reverse-order draft ... this is why the NFL's worst teams stay that way.

:wall:
generation - of house flies?

Jacksonville Jaguars used scouting and stats in harmony during 2014 NFL draftDoug Farrar

Excerpt:

Blake Bortles, QB, UCF — First round, third overall pick

“Well, Dave was extremely high on Bortles, and he was a player I tracked all year statistically,” Khan said. “As the season went on, he continued to show up at the top of a lot of the lists I consider to be important statistically for projecting college players to the pros. After the season ended, and through the draft evaluation process, he continued to show up as a quarterback who did a lot of things very well. Without just looking at the draft class — in looking at the entire NCAA, Blake was in the top 10 in the country — the 96th percentile in the nation in yards per attempt, and he did extremely well under pressure. I’ve heard some television personalities and seen some writers saying that he doesn’t perform well under pressure, when nothing could be further from the truth — especially relative to other quarterbacks selected in this draft. He averaged 7.8 yards per attempt when under pressure, which was in the 95th percentile, and he had the best yards per attempt under pressure of any quarterback drafted in this class.”

(By comparison, Teddy Bridgewater averaged 6.9 yards per attempt under pressure, Johnny Manziel averaged 6.9 as well, Zach Mettenberger averaged 6.6, Aaron Murray averaged 6.2, A.J. McCarron averaged 5.5, Tajh Boyd averaged 5.1, Tom Savage averaged 4.5, Logan Thomas averaged 4.4, and Derek Carr averaged 3.5.)

“Blake didn’t have a giant sack total that was a major red flag — he took some sacks and you certainly want to minimize that, but it wasn’t a major problem for him. He scored 1.8 standard deviation above the national population of NCAA quarterbacks in overall yards per attempt, and he scored 1.6 standard deviation over the population mean in yards per attempt while under pressure. He was among the top 10 of all college quarterbacks in rushing touchdowns per rush attempt … so, he did a lot of things really well. When Dave told me that he was a quarterback he was very interested in early in the process, we drove down [to UCF] from Jacksonville along with Gus and our offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch, in Jedd’s SUV. It’s not a long drive from Jacksonville to Orlando at all, and we filled out our March Madness brackets on the way back. In the end, he was someone who did a lot of things well, along with Dave’s very strong evaluation of him.”

Jacksonville Jaguars used scouting and stats in harmony during 2014 NFL draft

Doug Farrar

Excerpt:

Blake Bortles, QB, UCF — First round, third overall pick

“Well, Dave was extremely high on Bortles, and he was a player I tracked all year statistically,” Khan said. “As the season went on, he continued to show up at the top of a lot of the lists I consider to be important statistically for projecting college players to the pros. After the season ended, and through the draft evaluation process, he continued to show up as a quarterback who did a lot of things very well. Without just looking at the draft class — in looking at the entire NCAA, Blake was in the top 10 in the country — the 96th percentile in the nation in yards per attempt, and he did extremely well under pressure. I’ve heard some television personalities and seen some writers saying that he doesn’t perform well under pressure, when nothing could be further from the truth — especially relative to other quarterbacks selected in this draft. He averaged 7.8 yards per attempt when under pressure, which was in the 95th percentile, and he had the best yards per attempt under pressure of any quarterback drafted in this class.”

(By comparison, Teddy Bridgewater averaged 6.9 yards per attempt under pressure, Johnny Manziel averaged 6.9 as well, Zach Mettenberger averaged 6.6, Aaron Murray averaged 6.2, A.J. McCarron averaged 5.5, Tajh Boyd averaged 5.1, Tom Savage averaged 4.5, Logan Thomas averaged 4.4, and Derek Carr averaged 3.5.)

“Blake didn’t have a giant sack total that was a major red flag — he took some sacks and you certainly want to minimize that, but it wasn’t a major problem for him. He scored 1.8 standard deviation above the national population of NCAA quarterbacks in overall yards per attempt, and he scored 1.6 standard deviation over the population mean in yards per attempt while under pressure. He was among the top 10 of all college quarterbacks in rushing touchdowns per rush attempt … so, he did a lot of things really well. When Dave told me that he was a quarterback he was very interested in early in the process, we drove down [to UCF] from Jacksonville along with Gus and our offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch, in Jedd’s SUV. It’s not a long drive from Jacksonville to Orlando at all, and we filled out our March Madness brackets on the way back. In the end, he was someone who did a lot of things well, along with Dave’s very strong evaluation of him.”
Didn't Khan have some sort of metric that showed how good Gabbert was if he had time in the pocket?

I have him my #1QB in this class no doubt. Basically take the number they were picked in the NFL draft, and that's roughly how my tiers break out.

Bortles

Manziel

Bridgewater

Carr

Thomas

Mettenberg

Sabertooth said:
I have him my #1QB in this class no doubt. Basically take the number they were picked in the NFL draft, and that's roughly how my tiers break out.

Bortles

Manziel

Bridgewater

Carr

Thomas

Mettenberg
With QBs, it's overwhelmingly top 1st round picks or UDFA that come out of no where. Everything else is a wasteland, although exceptions do occur. Bridgewater seems more likely to have an Aaron Rodgers type story. Guy who everyone thought was going to be a top pick who suddenly fell to the end of the 1st, who goes on to be the best in his class. His slide may have had a lot more to do with previous Tedford QBs though. Rodgers had a very good pro day from what I remember. Pro days are overrated IMO.

Sabertooth said:

Bortles

Manziel

Bridgewater

Carr

Thomas

Mettenberg
With QBs, it's overwhelmingly top 1st round picks or UDFA that come out of no where. Everything else is a wasteland, although exceptions do occur. Bridgewater seems more likely to have an Aaron Rodgers type story. Guy who everyone thought was going to be a top pick who suddenly fell to the end of the 1st, who goes on to be the best in his class. His slide may have had a lot more to do with previous Tedford QBs though. Rodgers had a very good pro day from what I remember. Pro days are overrated IMO.
Of the top 20 Qb's, Foles, Wilson, Dalton, kaepernick were all 2nd or 3rd round picks. Romo's the only UDFA. The rest are 1st rounders.

Sabertooth said:

Bortles

Manziel

Bridgewater

Carr

Thomas

Mettenberg
Of the top 20 Qb's, Foles, Wilson, Dalton, kaepernick were all 2nd or 3rd round picks. Romo's the only UDFA. The rest are 1st rounders.
and Brees.

I tend to think though that a player drafted in the Top 5 is much more likely to have fantasy relevance than any other spot. I mean we could cite anecdotal references all day. But the fact remains that Bortles went #3 and was not considered a head scratcher like when Ponder got picked. Manziel went 19 picks later and was passed on 5 time by QB needy teams. That tells me he simply didn't rate out as a top 10 or even top 20 prospect despite what NFL network or ESPN thought. I have a lot more faith in Gus Bradley than I do in Mike Mayock or Tim McShay. Because his job is on the line if he's wrong.

I started doing this last year, the biggest determining factor on my FF board is draft position. That's probably lazy but I'm not a trained scout. I don't have a grading system. I don't "watch tape" on everyone. I am more casual in that regard. I let the professionals do the heavy lifting and follow the money most times. That said I have Bortles in a class by himself followed bang bang bang down to Carr. At that point the drop from Carr (36) to Garropolo (62) is pretty steep, but not as steep as the next drop down to Logan Thomas (120).

In my 2QB 10 team league where QBs are like gold, I have all of the big 4 QBs in my top 7. But Bortles is in a class of his own mainly because of his draft position. If he goes #1 overall, I pick 2 and 5. I'll go Watkins and wait for whatever QB between Manziel, Bridgewater, and Carr slides to me at 5. I have them in that order, but am basically indifferent on them because the NFL was kind of indifferent on them, picking them between 22 and 36. Just give me whoever. I like Manziel because he can run. I like Teddy because he has nice weapons, and I like Carr because he's only got to beat out Schaub (who couldn't hold off Case Keenum or Yates last year).

I tend to think though that a player drafted in the Top 5 is much more likely to have fantasy relevance than any other spot. I mean we could cite anecdotal references all day. But the fact remains that Bortles went #3 and was not considered a head scratcher like when Ponder got picked. Manziel went 19 picks later and was passed on 5 time by QB needy teams. That tells me he simply didn't rate out as a top 10 or even top 20 prospect despite what NFL network or ESPN thought. I have a lot more faith in Gus Bradley than I do in Mike Mayock or Tim McShay. Because his job is on the line if he's wrong.

I started doing this last year, the biggest determining factor on my FF board is draft position. That's probably lazy but I'm not a trained scout. I don't have a grading system. I don't "watch tape" on everyone. I am more casual in that regard. I let the professionals do the heavy lifting and follow the money most times. That said I have Bortles in a class by himself followed bang bang bang down to Carr. At that point the drop from Carr (36) to Garropolo (62) is pretty steep, but not as steep as the next drop down to Logan Thomas (120).

In my 2QB 10 team league where QBs are like gold, I have all of the big 4 QBs in my top 7. But Bortles is in a class of his own mainly because of his draft position. If he goes #1 overall, I pick 2 and 5. I'll go Watkins and wait for whatever QB between Manziel, Bridgewater, and Carr slides to me at 5. I have them in that order, but am basically indifferent on them because the NFL was kind of indifferent on them, picking them between 22 and 36. Just give me whoever. I like Manziel because he can run. I like Teddy because he has nice weapons, and I like Carr because he's only got to beat out Schaub (who couldn't hold off Case Keenum or Yates last year).
I'm in a qb heavy league as well and agree for the most part. I try to not overthink things in terms of projecting manziel to be a better qb than bortles. Of course, that could happen but i like to play the percentages. I'll make some adjustments based on gut feel and the situations players end up in. For example i would've taken Bridgewater ahead of Manziel which was a decision i thought i was going to make but then Bortles fell to me.

I don't agree with you on Bortles and was going to argue against him but I respect your stance. There's a lot of good, logical points you make for him to be your #1 FF rookie QB.

Good post.

Sabertooth said:

Bortles

Manziel

Bridgewater

Carr

Thomas

Mettenberg
Brees and Brady fell out of the top 20?

Sabertooth said:

Bortles

Manziel

Bridgewater

Carr

Thomas

Mettenberg
Yeah, how do you miss them in the Top 20. Brees was drafted in the 2nd and Brady in the 6th, how do you miss that when trying to put together that stat?

Phenix said:
Bronco Billy said:
Sabertooth said:

Bortles

Manziel

Bridgewater

Carr

Thomas

Mettenberg
Yeah, how do you miss them in the Top 20. Brees was drafted in the 2nd and Brady in the 6th, how do you miss that when trying to put together that stat?
Settle down Beavis. I did the list quickly.

I'll also point out that the 3 2nd rounders were all drafted within the first 5 picks of the 2nd round.

Phenix said:
Bronco Billy said:
Sabertooth said:

Bortles

Manziel

Bridgewater

Carr

Thomas

Mettenberg
Because they are both old and have been superstars for so long.

Phenix said:
Bronco Billy said:
Sabertooth said:

Bortles

Manziel

Bridgewater

Carr

Thomas

Mettenberg
Settle down Beavis. I did the list quickly.

I'll also point out that the 3 2nd rounders were all drafted within the first 5 picks of the 2nd round.
This, also Tom Brady is a total anomaly.

Well, well, well..look who ended up drafting Bortles...

It was 3.3 and I said screw it, I'll take the guy who went #3 over the 6th round RB.

Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport

Jaguars OC Jedd Fisch on Bortles- 'Strong, physical, big arm, can hang in there and take a hit! Prototype size & can move pocket.
Shocker. We knew it was too quiet out there on Bortles, and he's the first quarterback off the board. Bortles (6-foot-5, 232) was a two-year starter for the Golden Knights, leaving school with a 65.7 completion rate and 56:19 TD-to-INT ratio. He added 15 rushing scores and is a plus-yardage scrambling threat. Bortles looks like Andrew Luck on game tape in terms of his size-athleticism combination, but at this point in time plays more like Jake Locker, with shaky footwork and erratic accuracy. We admire Bortles' toughness and pocket movement, but he's a project with lower-body mechanical issues, sub-optimal hand size (9 3/8"), and underwhelming arm strength. He should get the nod under center in Week 1. The Jaguars are going to pound the ball on the ground.
I've heard too many things about this kid's arm. Which is it?

If this were the lone discrepancy, I would certainly side with Jedd Fisch rather than the blow-hards at Rotoworld.

Black dotting so I can come back and see how many are wrong about the #3 overall pick.

Whats funny is the fact he was drafted so high and others fell, tell me Bortles was the #1 QB on many boards. Minnesota and Cleveland wanted him, hence why Cleveland traded down.

cloppbeast said:
Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport

Jaguars OC Jedd Fisch on Bortles- 'Strong, physical, big arm, can hang in there and take a hit! Prototype size & can move pocket.
I've heard too many things about this kid's arm. Which is it?

If this were the lone discrepancy, I would certainly side with Jedd Fisch rather than the blow-hards at Rotoworld.
From what I have heard his footwork is bad. When he sets his feet right, he can launch it. But sometimes his footwork/mechanics get sloppy, and as a result his throws aren't as strong as you would expect for a player of his size.

Phenix said:
Black dotting so I can come back and see how many are wrong about the #3 overall pick.

Whats funny is the fact he was drafted so high and others fell, tell me Bortles was the #1 QB on many boards. Minnesota and Cleveland wanted him, hence why Cleveland traded down.
Being the #1 QB drafted or ranked doesn't guarantee having the better career. Manziel was actually both Minnesota's and Cleveland's top QB. Cleveland traded down because they probably knew Manziel would fall anyway.

http://www.footballperspective.com/vikings-jaguars-differ-on-approaches-to-finding-a-quarterback/

https://twitter.com/FeelTheTeal/status/469280967186989057

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10940453/cleveland-browns-qb-coach-says-johnny-manziel-texted-hurry-draft-me

Phenix said:

Being the #1 QB drafted or ranked doesn't guarantee having the better career. Manziel was actually both Minnesota's and Cleveland's top QB. Cleveland traded down because they probably knew Manziel would fall anyway.

http://www.footballperspective.com/vikings-jaguars-differ-on-approaches-to-finding-a-quarterback/

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10940453/cleveland-browns-qb-coach-says-johnny-manziel-texted-hurry-draft-me
Teams say a lot of crap after the draft. No way to know whether it's true or not.

Phenix said:

Teams say a lot of crap after the draft. No way to know whether it's true or not.
This, Just like Bridgewater didnt want to be anywhere else but Minnesota. As far as draft spot meaning something, sure it doesnt mean success, but it means opportunity and how much one player means to the plans of a team and how they fit.

Cleveland made the move after Bortles was selected earlier than many thought and didnt even draft Manziel at 9.

No one knows if anyone will fall in the draft and certain moves after certain players are drafted speaks volumes.

So its extremely quiet with Bortles leading up to the draft, then boom drafted at #3, then boom trade.

Rotoworld:

Blake Bortles - QB - Jaguars

The Florida Times Union's Ryan O'Halloran predicts Blake Bortles will get his first start in Week 8 against the Dolphins.

O'Halloran's second guess is Week 12 as the Jags come out of their bye. Either way, Chad Henne is the "no-doubt" starter for Week 1 as the franchise tries to ease Bortles in. They're still stinging from the Blaine Gabbert pick, and partly blame that disaster on rushing him into the lineup when he wasn't ready.

Related: Chad Henne

Source: Washington Post

Jul 3 - 10:07 AM

Rotoworld:

The Jaguars are hoping to fix No. 3 overall pick Blake Bortles' lower-body mechanics during his redshirt rookie year.
Per NFL Network's Albert Breer, the Jags believe Bortles was too much of an "arm thrower" at UCF, which aligns with the draftnik community's belief that his arm strength was not particularly impressive. He'll generate better torque if Jaguars coaches can get Bortles to improve his lower-body technique. Stopgap Chad Henne will open the season on a comfortably long leash.

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Blake Bortles - QB - Jaguars

Rookie Blake Bortles completed 9-of-13 passes for 79 yards and a touchdown in the Jaguars' Saturday live scrimmage.

One of Bortles' passes was dropped, and another batted down at the line. Beat writer Michael DiRocco believes the Jags "have to be encouraged" after Bortles demonstrated "poise and confidence" against the Jacksonville defense. Bortles' best throw went for 25 yards behind the coverage to Mike Brown down the left sideline. His TD went to UDFA TE D.J. Tialavea from three yards out. Chad Henne finished 14-of-22 for 75 yards and no TDs. "The consistency, he’s starting to get it," coach Gus Bradley said of Bortles. "So that’s good."

Source: ESPN.com
Aug 3 - 1:26 PM

Jaguars training camp: Coaches should change take on starting Bortles

http://www.cbssports...tarting-bortles

Users who are viewing this thread