What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (1 Viewer)

Been a while. Just picked up Blood Oath Pact 9 from this month's quarterly release in AL. Last quarterly release month I was able to get some Weller Antique 107. Both are good, but that Weller 107 for $75 less is much easier to drink.

Others that I've picked up that are notable for good flavors/price:
Booker's Apprentice Batch
Early Times BiB
Old Ezra Barrel Strength
Heaven Hill BiB
Russell's Reserve Single Barrel Private Selection
Knob Creek 12 yr

Wow, quiet in here lately...
All I have for the group is reviews of what most here have already had, but I guess that doesn't have to stop me.

1. Since there's no rye thread, I'll put it here that I'm wading deeper into rye, thought I may have started more on the deep end, with Sagamore Cask Strength (112 proof). Found it to be not at all like my preconceived ideas about rye. Drank like a lower proof mild bourbon, with a pleasant finish. I've been leaning toward taking a tour of their distillery as a birthday present, and now that I've had their product, I'm all but convinced.

2. Finally pried open my wallet a little more and picked up a bottle of Russell's Reserve 10 Year. I'm already a Wild Turkey 101 fan, so this was in my wheelhouse. Going to be tough making it last.

All I have for the group is reviews of what most here have already had, but I guess that doesn't have to stop me.

1. Since there's no rye thread, I'll put it here that I'm wading deeper into rye, thought I may have started more on the deep end, with Sagamore Cask Strength (112 proof). Found it to be not at all like my preconceived ideas about rye. Drank like a lower proof mild bourbon, with a pleasant finish. I've been leaning toward taking a tour of their distillery as a birthday present, and now that I've had their product, I'm all but convinced.

2. Finally pried open my wallet a little more and picked up a bottle of Russell's Reserve 10 Year. I'm already a Wild Turkey 101 fan, so this was in my wheelhouse. Going to be tough making it last.

Congrats on the venture into rye territory. If you like Sagamore, try the Sagamore Rye Sherry Cask.

If you like Russell's Reserve 10 Year...try Russell's Reserve Single Barrel. Some stores even have store picks of this selection. It is my go to and one of my fav's without breaking the bank!

Picked up a bottle of Knob Creek 18 yesterday (batch 002). Had to also buy a bottle of Old Elk to get it (store promotion), so I chose the new 8-year wheated.

Got both at MSRP, and looking forward to trying both!

Was it the wheated bourbon or the wheat whiskey? Heard really good things about the wheat whiskey - only ever owned one other wheat whiskey bottle and found it to just be ok (Woodford).

Rye is my favorite liquor. In particular I'm a fan of finished ryes. Sagamore has several (as Jimi mentions) - I had their Manhattan barrel finished rye and loved it. The tequila finished one is odd but interesting. Sagamore Double Oaked is delicious and can be found at a decent price.

Not sure your price range but go buy a bottle of the JD SBBP Rye - it can be found for 70-80 in most places and is delicious.

Picked up a bottle of Knob Creek 18 yesterday (batch 002). Had to also buy a bottle of Old Elk to get it (store promotion), so I chose the new 8-year wheated.

Got both at MSRP, and looking forward to trying both!

Was it the wheated bourbon or the wheat whiskey? Heard really good things about the wheat whiskey - only ever owned one other wheat whiskey bottle and found it to just be ok (Woodford).
It's the wheated bourbon.

Congrats on the venture into rye territory. If you like Sagamore, try the Sagamore Rye Sherry Cask.

If you like Russell's Reserve 10 Year...try Russell's Reserve Single Barrel. Some stores even have store picks of this selection. It is my go to and one of my fav's without breaking the bank!
If I commit to doing the distillery tour, I'll see about trying the sherry cask there.

My biggest roadblock to delving more into rye is that I'm still sorting out my bourbon preferences, though I've had a breakthrough recently. This will be sacrilege to some, but I think I've discovered I'm not much of a Buffalo Trace/BTAC fan. Don't hate them, just found Buffalo Trace too sweet and Eagle Rare didn't really do much for me. I already realized I like all of the basic Heaven Hill products--Evan Williams, 1792, Bottled in Bond, Elijah Craig Small Batch and even Mellow Corn. Was thinking that when I was ready for rye I'd try theirs first, but I jumped the gun. I just hope I didn't spoil my rye experience by having barrel proof before the basic level.

I wouldn't write off the BT distillery with just sampling those two. For me, I like them, but they don't rate always having it on hand. EH Taylor on the other had is one of my favorites, I've had the small batch and the Rye, love them. SiB was pretty good also. Weller FP is another great one from that distillery also, still hunting down the other Weller brands.

I wouldn't write off the BT distillery with just sampling those two. For me, I like them, but they don't rate always having it on hand. EH Taylor on the other had is one of my favorites, I've had the small batch and the Rye, love them. SiB was pretty good also. Weller FP is another great one from that distillery also, still hunting down the other Weller brands.

The "problem" with BT is 1. the EHT and Weller lines are almost impossible to find in most states and 2. when you do it's secondary prices (unless you have connect) and they are ridiculous. You are paying for the brand moreso than what is in the bottle. Just MO, but I think many would agree.

BT and ER are all over Georgia so I can replace those bottles any time I want - and they are good and reasonably priced. If my option is to buy one bottle of OW107 or 3-4 bottles of Russel Reserve 10 year or 2-3 single barrels it's an easy decision, for me.

The "problem" with BT is 1. the EHT and Weller lines are almost impossible to find in most states and 2. when you do it's secondary prices (unless you have connect) and they are ridiculous. You are paying for the brand moreso than what is in the bottle. Just MO, but I think many would agree.

BT and ER are all over Georgia so I can replace those bottles any time I want - and they are good and reasonably priced. If my option is to buy one bottle of OW107 or 3-4 bottles of Russel Reserve 10 year or 2-3 single barrels it's an easy decision, for me.
Completely agree with you there. If I a cannot buy for MSRP, Im just passing on it. I have to get lucky myself to come across the EHTs, got a couple at a Costco opening and feel spoiled now. I can't even come across BT and ER out here regularly. My current search is for a EHT FP and a Stagg, have only seem them for 5x MSRP, ain't no way.

'Write-off' is too strong a word in my case; between their scarcity in my parts and the availability of other brands I like at similar or better prices, I just won't have them in my collection. Won't turn them down if offered, just don't have the space to keep too many bottles, and ones I like better take precedence.

So, I was off work week before last and got up early and drive down to the BT distillery (maybe an hour and a half drive). Anyway, I got there 15 minutes before they opened and there were probably 300 people in line already in front of me. And another 100 piled in behind me as the line was processing when they opened.

It moved quickly though. I was on my way back home with the limit of 2 bottles of Buffalo Trace (not impossible to get but you still gotta get it when you can for $27), and a bottle of EH Taylor small batch.

I should’ve gone back again the next day because it would’ve have been either Blantons or Eagle Rare (really was kinda wanting the Eagle Rare) but didn’t. Now if I go back within 90 days and it’s Taylor again I’m out of luck, so I’ll have to check https://buffalotracedaily.com/ and go the day after another Taylor day to be safe.

Anyway, for cheapskates like me that won’t pay above MSRP, if you are in range of Frankfort and can get there by say 10 or 11 you can get one of either Weller Special Reserve, Blantons, EH Taylor, or Eagle Rare (and 2 bottles of BT).

Been a while. Just picked up Blood Oath Pact 9 from this month's quarterly release in AL. Last quarterly release month I was able to get some Weller Antique 107. Both are good, but that Weller 107 for $75 less is much easier to drink.

Early Times BiB
Old Ezra Barrel Strength
Heaven Hill BiB
Knob Creek 12 yr
@scottybo !

Early Times BiB
Old Ezra Barrel Strength
Heaven Hill BiB
Knob Creek 12 yr
@scottybo !
How may I help you?

Early Times BiB
Old Ezra Barrel Strength
Heaven Hill BiB
Knob Creek 12 yr
@scottybo !
How may I help you?
where do i start

So, I was off work week before last and got up early and drive down to the BT distillery (maybe an hour and a half drive). Anyway, I got there 15 minutes before they opened and there were probably 300 people in line already in front of me. And another 100 piled in behind me as the line was processing when they opened.

It moved quickly though. I was on my way back home with the limit of 2 bottles of Buffalo Trace (not impossible to get but you still gotta get it when you can for $27), and a bottle of EH Taylor small batch.

I should’ve gone back again the next day because it would’ve have been either Blantons or Eagle Rare (really was kinda wanting the Eagle Rare) but didn’t. Now if I go back within 90 days and it’s Taylor again I’m out of luck, so I’ll have to check https://buffalotracedaily.com/ and go the day after another Taylor day to be safe.

Anyway, for cheapskates like me that won’t pay above MSRP, if you are in range of Frankfort and can get there by say 10 or 11 you can get one of either Weller Special Reserve, Blantons, EH Taylor, or Eagle Rare (and 2 bottles of BT).
Nice timing!! Seems like every time I make a run (only when I'm visiting family in Cincy area) I get Special Reserve. Never seem to hit on the EHT SB or the Blanton's. I would pay slightly over MSRP for either of those, but not much. The flagship Buffalo Trace is actually a pretty good purchase at $30 or less. Every now and then you can find store picks of those for same price range.

Nice timing!! Seems like every time I make a run (only when I'm visiting family in Cincy area) I get Special Reserve. Never seem to hit on the EHT SB or the Blanton's. I would pay slightly over MSRP for either of those, but not much. The flagship Buffalo Trace is actually a pretty good purchase at $30 or less. Every now and then you can find store picks of those for same price range.

Yeah - BT (regular and SPs) can be found all over GA for $25-30; ER for $40. And you can find all the lower shelf stuff - Ancient Age, Old Charter....the Benchmark line that is new is actual some pretty decent stuff. Full proof at 125 proof and like $25 is one of the biggest bargains out there. But everything else? Impossible to find and the price is jacked if you do find it. Stagg, EHT, BTAC (gtfo), Weller line, ETL,

I'm going to Japan next spring to run the Tokyo Marathon. You can literally buy the Blanton's Black on Japanese Amazon for like $63 USD.

I'm legit bringing an empty suitcase and filling it up. If I get stopped by customs (unlikely, since I have Global Entry), I'll declare the overage and happily pay the duty.

Figure 50 pound limit divided by 3 pounds per bottle... :excited:

In case anyone was curious, you're allowed to bring 5L per person into the country. At 750mL per bottle, that's 6-7 bottles per person. The first liter of alcohol (per person) is duty free. Anything more than one liter will technically be levied a flat rate duty of about $2-$3 a bottle depending on the type of alcohol. In reality, this almost never happens and you're waved through by the US customs agent. The amount to collect is just too small to justify the paperwork.

In case anyone was curious, you're allowed to bring 5L per person into the country. At 750mL per bottle, that's 6-7 bottles per person. The first liter of alcohol (per person) is duty free. Anything more than one liter will technically be levied a flat rate duty of about $2-$3 a bottle depending on the type of alcohol. In reality, this almost never happens and you're waved through by the US customs agent. The amount to collect is just too small to justify the paperwork.

Skip Black and see if you can find Gold.

Skip Black and see if you can find Gold.
I’ve already got 3 bottles. Got one in London and two more last month in Berlin.

Coworker from SW Louisiana brought up a bottle of Widow Jane Decadence this week that he'd managed to snag. It's finished in maple syrup barrels. Never had "regular" Widow Jane before so nothing to really compare it to, but boy it was smooth, with a good bite but minimal burn. ~95 proof iirc.

Coworker from SW Louisiana brought up a bottle of Widow Jane Decadence this week that he'd managed to snag. It's finished in maple syrup barrels. Never had "regular" Widow Jane before so nothing to really compare it to, but boy it was smooth, with a good bite but minimal burn. ~95 proof iirc.
Sounds good...I've had the 13 and 10 years, been wondering about the decadence.

I'm going to Japan next spring to run the Tokyo Marathon. You can literally buy the Blanton's Black on Japanese Amazon for like $63 USD.

I'm legit bringing an empty suitcase and filling it up. If I get stopped by customs (unlikely, since I have Global Entry), I'll declare the overage and happily pay the duty.

Figure 50 pound limit divided by 3 pounds per bottle... :excited:
I was just in Japan. I found Black for about $85, but after tasting it I decided to skip it. It's a bit watered down. I did see one bottle of Gold for $160 but just couldn't pull the trigger.

That's one I've always wanted to try/find/purchase. I've only seen one ever on a shelf behind a counter, and it was $115 in Florida.

That's one I've always wanted to try/find/purchase. I've only seen one ever on a shelf behind a counter, and it was $115 in Florida.
It was one of those situations where he's a regular at one place, friends with all the workers/owner, and when they got their hands on some of it they put aside a bottle for him knowing he'd be interested. As I'm getting more and more into bourbon/whiskey I'm learning that is a huge advantage into finding "the good stuff" - it's 100% a relationship business. Now off I go to make better friends with the liquor store folks...

I like the Widow Jane Apple Wood Rye. Really good stuff.

It was one of those situations where he's a regular at one place, friends with all the workers/owner, and when they got their hands on some of it they put aside a bottle for him knowing he'd be interested. As I'm getting more and more into bourbon/whiskey I'm learning that is a huge advantage into finding "the good stuff" - it's 100% a relationship business. Now off I go to make better friends with the liquor store folks...
100% accurate. I have a couple of grocery store owners as clients, and they definitely try to reward the regular shoppers who are in there all the time buying their daily drinker, etc. They HATE the taters who come out of nowhere asking for bottles of the "good stuff."

This feels like a dumb question, but those are my forte, so here goes...

Are whiskey flights at bars/restaurants generally for more than one person?

The reason I ask is that I just discovered a place close to my house that offers them on their menu. The price seems reasonable, but I'm not familiar with how much to expect. Is there a 'typical' amount that you get in a standard flight?

The reason I ask is that I just discovered a place close to my house that offers them on their menu. The price seems reasonable, but I'm not familiar with how much to expect. Is there a 'typical' amount that you get in a standard flight?
For one person. Typically 4 pours of 0.5 oz each.

Eight Settlers Ragtown tonight. Actually really tasty. Affordable. Might be the new daily driver. Gonna sip some and think on it.

So today I had:

Blanton’s
Buffalo Trace
Redbreast 12
Angels envy
Elijah Craig
Jefferson’s Ocean
Michters

I’m gonna be hurting tomorrow.
Oh and Widow Jane
Id ask which is best, but with that volume, I doubt it would be accurate
Yeah... not feeling the best at the moment.

But, I actually can comment as I've had them all before. I'm partial to Jefferson's Ocean (despite the gimmick). Did a blind taste test a couple years ago with a lot of these same bourbons and that was my favorite.

Sipping on a few Knob Creek 12 low ballers with a regular KC9 preceding tonight. KC12 is unbeatable in my cabinet. There were 12 available in the most recent allocation. I was about #30 in line. All 29 in front of me had the choice to grab 1. By the time I got to the table, there were still 8 left. Fools.

I mean, thank you....

fools!

Last edited:

Agreed with @Don Quixote. Generally a flight gets you a "taste" that is less than a "shot"; but most people don't actually taste much on shots, they just feel them in their throat. A half ounce of any bourbon is enough to acquire the taste. I generally like to start with the lowest proof first. If they are all within 5 of each other, then I guess alphabetize them?

Any good resources (apps maybe) that the FBG Bourbon Brohans could recommend to a newcomer to the bourbon/whiskey world? Something where I can track what I've tried, what is still out there, relative price so if I see something in a store I have a reference to know if I'm getting ripped off? There's bottled in bond, cask strength, barrel strength, full proof, small batch, etc etc and I've got a grasp on what they mean but I can't keep track of which is rare/common, better/worse, which version of Woodford was it I just tried the other day, etc.

Again, I'm a newbie. Bought a bottle of Basil Hayden's something or other and Four Roses small batch yesterday. The store I was in had a Select Barrel Elijah Craig for I think $83 which felt high to me, and a store pick Blanton's for $140 - no idea if that's good or high or cheap or not.

The store I was in had a Select Barrel Elijah Craig for I think $83 which felt high to me, and a store pick Blanton's for $140 - no idea if that's good or high or cheap or not.

$83 for ECBP store picks is an ok price but they will vary from barrel to barrel. I haven’t bought many of the ECBP line the last year or so but I had heard the quality of them had been down some lately. I’m a big fan generally speaking though.

I’d never pay $140 for Blanton’s - they just aren’t that good.

As for your first question - I would assume there’s apps or spreadsheets out there where you can track but none I’ve heard of that are great. I’ve just used Google Sheets to track mine in the past.

bottled in bond, cask strength, barrel strength, full proof, small batch

Also, in case it’s helpful to others:

Cask strength == Barrel Strength == Full Proof

Bottle in Bond is federally regulated - has to be aged for a min of 4 years by one distiller and at one distillery. 100 proof and stored in a bonded warehouse.

Small batch is almost the opposite - it can mean just about anything a distiller wants it to mean and they often play games with the designation to fool consumers.

Any good resources (apps maybe) that the FBG Bourbon Brohans could recommend to a newcomer to the bourbon/whiskey world? Something where I can track what I've tried, what is still out there, relative price so if I see something in a store I have a reference to know if I'm getting ripped off? There's bottled in bond, cask strength, barrel strength, full proof, small batch, etc etc and I've got a grasp on what they mean but I can't keep track of which is rare/common, better/worse, which version of Woodford was it I just tried the other day, etc.

Again, I'm a newbie. Bought a bottle of Basil Hayden's something or other and Four Roses small batch yesterday. The store I was in had a Select Barrel Elijah Craig for I think $83 which felt high to me, and a store pick Blanton's for $140 - no idea if that's good or high or cheap or not.
I've only been at it for about 4 years and consider myself a newbie also who's 'journey' is guided mostly by budget, so take my thoughts for what they're worth.

Regarding tracking what you've tried, I don't know of an app like that, so I just use a spreadsheet to track what I've had and what I want to try, and even by type, i.e., Scotch, Irish, Bourbon, American Single Malt, Rye, etc. Not saying there isn't an app nor that you should do it this way, but my spreadsheet has columns for different criteria like price, prefer neat/with ice/drops of water, specific tastes you discover, whether you'll buy it again.

My biggest 'tip' would be to learn as much as you can, not only about the similarities/differences among the mainstream distilleries and any smaller/local ones that are available near you, but also whiskey in general, especially mash bills. For example, some brands will have higher rye content, which will offer much different tasting notes than others with higher wheat content. That said, there will always be more to learn and explore, so keep your wits and stay aware of the 'fear of missing out', in that you may think a certain bottle is your white whale and you need to get it no matter the cost.

Along with that, I'd add that more expensive does not always mean better. In fact, I've learned that even though it's not the best tasting whiskey I've had, my 'favorite' is Wild Turkey 101, which has a certain reputation due to its relatively lower cost. Certain bottles will be more expensive for reasons other than 'quality', like Blanton's; in addition to its scarcity, the bottle itself is a draw. The whiskey itself is probably worth half the cost of what you saw, so the rest of what you're paying for is that bottle, and that $140 is still less than what I've seen it go for near me. If you have the income to spend on a gimmick like that, $140 is probably the best you're going to find for it. I'm a firm believer in the saying that you get what you pay for, so Blanton's isn't worth it to me because I'm not into their bottles.

Finally, what I hope you'll hear a lot is that whatever you like to drink, and the way you like to drink it, is the 'right' way. That's why I call Wild Turkey 101 my favorite though I don't consider it the best tasting; it's a great bang for the buck and tastes good enough to me that I would drink it every day. It's what I would both start and end my night with. It's my whiskey 'reset button'.

Oh, and don't give up on something if you didn't like it the first time, as your palate and tastes will change with experience. I started with scotch 4 years ago and had written off bourbon/American whiskey(s) years earlier, due to a bad experience with Jack Daniels when I was in high school, but I tried a local distillery's bourbon and liked it, which re-opened that door. Then I was wary of rye but have had to reassess those thoughts due to taking a chance with Sagamore (which is just up the road from me, making it local as well).

:hophead::bye:

The store I was in had a Select Barrel Elijah Craig for I think $83 which felt high to me, and a store pick Blanton's for $140 - no idea if that's good or high or cheap or not.

$83 for ECBP store picks is an ok price but they will vary from barrel to barrel. I haven’t bought many of the ECBP line the last year or so but I had heard the quality of them had been down some lately. I’m a big fan generally speaking though.

As for your first question - I would assume there’s apps or spreadsheets out there where you can track but none I’ve heard of that are great. I’ve just used Google Sheets to track mine in the past.

I am a self-proclaimed ECBP connoisseur, and I would have to agree with you on the last couple years of releases not being what they used to be. In January 2023, they released their last of the 12 year "age stated" products (Batch A123). In May, the release was less than 12 years for the first time ever (Batch B523). However, their latest release in September, Batch C923, it is 13 years and 7 months, and it is VERY good. MSRP is right around the $70 and the cost per state will vary. In Michigan, I regularly pay $79 for ECBP. On the high end, yes, but usually worth it!! Michigan sets minimum price levels and allows store owners to charge market rate above that. I am not a big fan of those stores that charge closer to $90 to $100 for ECBP. However once the word gets out that the latest batch is very solid once again, the price may go up (in this state).

I happen to enjoy a Blanton's from time to time...but not for $140 or anything over $100 for that matter. Just way too many others that are better in that range.

Take a look at Boozapp. It will show what the MSRP is on a bourbon as well as "fair price" and secondary. You can track a wish list and record what you got and what you paid for it.

I am a self-proclaimed ECBP connoisseur, and I would have to agree with you on the last couple years of releases not being what they used to be. In January 2023, they released their last of the 12 year "age stated" products (Batch A123). In May, the release was less than 12 years for the first time ever (Batch B523). However, their latest release in September, Batch C923, it is 13 years and 7 months, and it is VERY good. MSRP is right around the $70 and the cost per state will vary. In Michigan, I regularly pay $79 for ECBP. On the high end, yes, but usually worth it!! Michigan sets minimum price levels and allows store owners to charge market rate above that. I am not a big fan of those stores that charge closer to $90 to $100 for ECBP. However once the word gets out that the latest batch is very solid once again, the price may go up (in this state).

I happen to enjoy a Blanton's from time to time...but not for $140 or anything over $100 for that matter. Just way too many others that are better in that range.

Saw a couple of reviews for C923 and all are really good. I can get as many B523 for $80 I want and we have tons of private barrel picks all over the state - most are 80 or 90.

Saw a couple of reviews for C923 and all are really good. I can get as many B523 for $80 I want and we have tons of private barrel picks all over the state - most are 80 or 90.
At least in my area, I don't see as many private barrel picks as I do the standard "batch" barrel proofs. But I was on the hunt for the C923 for at least a month before I found a place that had some. Many stores have a backlog supply of ECBP but the latest releases are more unicorn-ish. I spoke with a store manager a couple weeks ago about my search for the C923. He had no idea that there was a difference in batches and that they were labeled as such. His supply was all from '22 and he was perplexed when I didn't want one of those.

Not that it was asked...but my favorite ECBP batches are C919, B520, and now C923 (which just might be the best I've had so far). I had been mildly disappointed in the Covid Era releases. That being said, Heaven Hill still puts out a quality product 3 times a year and I realize that I am being somewhat nitpicky about it.

Users who are viewing this thread