What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Marshall working hard on fumblitis (1 Viewer)

swampdog

Footballguy
It's always good to see a young receiver trying to improve. But notice the conversation turning to YAC's vs. fumbling. Let's hope he gets this under control.

Swamp

Marshall hopes to fix fumble affliction

BY PAT GRAHAM • The Associated Press • October 18, 2008

Buzz up! ENGLEWOOD - Brandon Marshall cradled the ball in the crook of his arm as he breezed around the corner of a hallway just outside the locker room Thursday.

An equipment manager crept up behind the Denver Broncos receiver, swiping at the ball and sending it to the carpet.

Just his luck - another fumble.

Marshall's turnover tendency has become a concern for him.

That's why he's resorted to toting a football around with him this week, enticing teammates and team personnel to take swats at it, forcing him to keep the ball secure. The talented wideout has fumbled three times this season, losing two, including one deep in Jacksonville territory during Sunday's 24-17 loss.

"I've never had a fumbling problem," he said.

Or had his confidence shaken quite like this.

Marshall has always had a healthy dose of bravado, believing no one could cover or catch him, but his ego has suddenly taken a hit.

After the Broncos' loss to the Jaguars, Marshall vowed to minimize his magnificent moves, maybe even go to the ground instead of grinding for extra yards.

He backed off that ploy Thursday, realizing being conservative is not in his nature. He's bold and aggressive, not safe and cautious.

Marshall simply can't change his ways.

"That's what makes me, me," Marshall said. "I could be a great receiver without all those fancy moves, but that's what keeps me playing this game. I have fun out there."

Marshall's teammates wince at the thought of him changing so much as a cutback or a juke. They want to see him break tackles, not break for the sideline.

The idea to clutch the ball all week was Marshall's own creation, something he used to do as a kid. Only back then, he carried the ball around out of love for the game, sleeping with it close by, even taking the ball to school under his arm.

Coach Mike Shanahan thinks his receiver's remedy to his fumbling affliction is perfect.

"Good idea," he said after practice upon hearing of his wideout's self-imposed therapy.

Marshall is having a monster season, leading the league with 43 receptions. That, despite missing the opener after being suspended by the commissioner for a game following a series of off-the-field transgressions.

Upon his return, though, Marshall caught a franchise-record 18 passes in a win over San Diego. It was also the second-most catches for a game in NFL history, falling two shy of Terrell Owens' mark set in 2000.

That was Marshall at his best.

This is Marshall at his worst.

In other news, the NFL fined Broncos cornerback Dre' Bly $20,000 Friday for inappropriate remarks about officials after Denver's 24-17 loss to Jacksonville last weekend.

http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...PORTS/810180352

Users who are viewing this thread