What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brian Baldinger on McFadden (1 Viewer)

Jedimaster21

Footballguy
This was mentioned in "The Audible", but I did a search and didn't find it anywhere. I thought any fans that didn't listen to Bloom and Lammey would still want to know about these comments.

As for what was said, I have never been a fan of McFadden. I think he lacks the vision, leg drive/power, and elusiveness you look for in an elite back. Now both Mayock and Baldinger have come out publicly and questioned McFadden's talent. I think Baldinger's statement is a little strong, but those with the 1.1 have to be a little confused about who to pick.

Check it out...http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=335333

By the way, sorry if honda...

I agree...in regards to fantasy rookie drafts, I'm passing on McFadden if Mendenhall or Stewart end up in Denver or Houston...

I agree...in regards to fantasy rookie drafts, I'm passing on McFadden if Mendenhall or Stewart end up in Denver or Houston...
What's the longest run a Dever RB has had? A few years? Being draft by denver means he might play for 2 years, ratface will constantly bring in undrafted FA RBs, and if you do have any success you'll blow your knee out.Draft on talent, not situation. Not to mention one of the worst situations for RBs in the last 5 years. I seem to remember Ron Dayne being pimped because he was "perfect" for the Denver system. Is he better then Selvin Young? Maybe. But Denver RB situation in recent history, has been a total and utter train wreck. New man each year, with new people stealing carries every year. I thought Henry was the man and had it locked up? I seem to remember Young hype about him stealing his job. And now wait, Henry is out? Save your roster spot equity, avoid Denver RBs. And the Texans seem to have a new RB every 6 months, I'm not sure they are any better.Brandon Jackson what a great situation! Consensus #4 rookie last year. Woops.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the longest run a Dever RB has had? A few years? Being draft by denver means he might play for 2 years, ratface will constantly bring in undrafted FA RBs, and if you do have any success you'll blow your knee out.

Draft on talent, not situation. Not to mention one of the worst situations for RBs in the last 5 years. I seem to remember Ron Dayne being pimped because he was "perfect" for the Denver system.

Is he better then Selvin Young? Maybe. But Denver RB situation in recent history, has been a total and utter train wreck. New man each year, with new people stealing carries every year. I thought Henry was the man and had it locked up? I seem to remember Young hype about him stealing his job. And now wait, Henry is out?

Save your roster spot equity, avoid Denver RBs. And the Texans seem to have a new RB every 6 months, I'm not sure they are any better.

Brandon Jackson what a great situation! Consensus #4 rookie last year. Woops.
Add J.J. Arrington...

What's the longest run a Dever RB has had? A few years? Being draft by denver means he might play for 2 years, ratface will constantly bring in undrafted FA RBs, and if you do have any success you'll blow your knee out.

Draft on talent, not situation. Not to mention one of the worst situations for RBs in the last 5 years. I seem to remember Ron Dayne being pimped because he was "perfect" for the Denver system.

Is he better then Selvin Young? Maybe. But Denver RB situation in recent history, has been a total and utter train wreck. New man each year, with new people stealing carries every year. I thought Henry was the man and had it locked up? I seem to remember Young hype about him stealing his job. And now wait, Henry is out?

Save your roster spot equity, avoid Denver RBs. And the Texans seem to have a new RB every 6 months, I'm not sure they are any better.

Brandon Jackson what a great situation! Consensus #4 rookie last year. Woops.
Add J.J. Arrington...
But I don't think these guys were taken before the "studs". They were the picks people were taking after the 1st round talent was gone.Mendenhall and Stewart are grouped in with the studs. It's going to be similar the year Caddy, Ronnie and Benson came out. There was no definite 1.1, 1.2 or 1.3. It was a matter of preference I think.

Count me as someone not impressed with McFadden's pro potential. Skinny legs with no drive, I just don't see him as a productive workhorse back in the NFL. He is a nice smooth runner, but you need to get into space for that to be of value and I havent seen the exceptional cuts in traffic and ability to break a tackle while doing it, to become a force in the NFL.

While I agree that the Denver situation can be a concern due to the quick hook from Shanahan, the Texans isn't really fair. Dom Davis was a steady performer for them before his knee quit. The guys who have rotated through the Texans RB postion since are nowhere near Davis's level or that of the top 3-4 guys in the draft. I'd be happy to get one of them if they went to Houston.

While I agree that the Denver situation can be a concern due to the quick hook from Shanahan, the Texans isn't really fair. Dom Davis was a steady performer for them before his knee quit. The guys who have rotated through the Texans RB postion since are nowhere near Davis's level or that of the top 3-4 guys in the draft. I'd be happy to get one of them if they went to Houston.
Agreed.There is not nearly a large enough sample size in Houston to big significant.

Well my point was draft on talent. Not situation. If we're going to argue situation, I'm not sure the Texans qualify as a good one. The Packers were a great situation for Jackson last year. Situation is hard to gauge in dynasty.Coaches leave, OL leave, offenses change. If Texas goes 4-12 this year, is kubiak still the coach? Altanta used to have the denver zone blocking scheme, great for norwood. But now that's gone.If you're a player, and you have skills, and you can play in this league nothing else really matters. If you don't, but land in the best situation in the NFL, you won't last. Focus on talent, everything else will work out.

Well my point was draft on talent. Not situation. If we're going to argue situation, I'm not sure the Texans qualify as a good one. The Packers were a great situation for Jackson last year. Situation is hard to gauge in dynasty.Coaches leave, OL leave, offenses change. If Texas goes 4-12 this year, is kubiak still the coach? Altanta used to have the denver zone blocking scheme, great for norwood. But now that's gone.If you're a player, and you have skills, and you can play in this league nothing else really matters. If you don't, but land in the best situation in the NFL, you won't last. Focus on talent, everything else will work out.
I guess that begs the question. "Who is the most talented RB in this years draft?"

McFadden reminds of Jerious Norwood.
Meaning?.........oh yeah, he has long, skinny legs :useless: This is really getting old. Norwood has yet to be given the chance to excel. When given an ample amount of opportunity, he has looked very, very good. Petrino did not use him properly this past year.

Meaning?.........oh yeah, he has long, skinny legs :useless: This is really getting old. Norwood has yet to be given the chance to excel. When given an ample amount of opportunity, he has looked very, very good. Petrino did not use him properly this past year.
Do you think it's a knock on McFadden to be compared to Norwood? They have very similar body types, except McFadden is probably a bit leaner.

Baldinger's comments about McFadden's lack of vision stood out the most in that article. He said he's a I Formation back, and if the fullback doesn't open holes and gets caught in traffic, McFadden will run up his back. Also, he makes a good point when he said the reason McFadden initiates so much contact, is because he can't see the holes to run through. It's not like he has a big body that can withstand punishment long term either.

Baldinger's comments about McFadden's lack of vision stood out the most in that article. He said he's a I Formation back, and if the fullback doesn't open holes and gets caught in traffic, McFadden will run up his back. Also, he makes a good point when he said the reason McFadden initiates so much contact, is because he can't see the holes to run through. It's not like he has a big body that can withstand punishment long term either.
:confused: McFadden is very overrated

based on baldinger's early assessment of peterson last season - he went out on a limb and called him the best RB in the league before the record game - i'm going to give him some credibility in regards to mcfadden.

as for the comment about denver RBs, i'm sure portis owners weren't thrilled he was traded, but it's not like he has fallen off the face of the earth.

SproutDaddy said:
King of the Jungle said:
Meaning?.........oh yeah, he has long, skinny legs :rolleyes: This is really getting old. Norwood has yet to be given the chance to excel. When given an ample amount of opportunity, he has looked very, very good. Petrino did not use him properly this past year.
I think their body types and skill sets are similar. What are you really angry about?

King of the Jungle said:
Being a 6.2 yards per carry back isn't so bad.http://www.nfl.com/players/jeriousnorwood/...le?id=NOR780922

2007 Atlanta Falcons 15 2 103 613 6.0 67T 1 28 277 9.9 46 0 -- --

2006 Atlanta Falcons 14 0 99 633 6.4 78T 2 12 102 8.5 32 0 -- --
I like Jerious Norwood as a RB. I don't think he is a 25-carry back, but who is these days. I believe McFadden will thrive as long as he has another back to spell him. He seems to have the same explosive ability that Norwood possesses.

Chase Stuart said:
SproutDaddy said:
King of the Jungle said:
Meaning?.........oh yeah, he has long, skinny legs :rolleyes: This is really getting old. Norwood has yet to be given the chance to excel. When given an ample amount of opportunity, he has looked very, very good. Petrino did not use him properly this past year.
Do you think it's a knock on McFadden to be compared to Norwood? They have very similar body types, except McFadden is probably a bit leaner.
Well put.

SproutDaddy said:
King of the Jungle said:
Meaning?.........oh yeah, he has long, skinny legs :mellow: This is really getting old. Norwood has yet to be given the chance to excel. When given an ample amount of opportunity, he has looked very, very good. Petrino did not use him properly this past year.
I think their body types and skill sets are similar. What are you really angry about?
Sorry for being defensive. That comment I see all of the time and just makes me scratch my head. Both are knocked on for having "skinny legs." Does it really matter if they are productive?

The Scientist said:
JohnnyU said:
:hophead: McFadden is very overrated
So you don't want the Seahawks to trade up for him?

Well, I could see Denver going for defense or filling other holes, and perhaps going for a RB in later rounds...

He seems to find diamonds in the rough fairly often, so why burn a first rounder on one?

SproutDaddy said:
King of the Jungle said:
Meaning?.........oh yeah, he has long, skinny legs :shrug: This is really getting old. Norwood has yet to be given the chance to excel. When given an ample amount of opportunity, he has looked very, very good. Petrino did not use him properly this past year.
Sorry for being defensive. That comment I see all of the time and just makes me scratch my head. Both are knocked on for having "skinny legs." Does it really matter if they are productive?
Both do have skinny legs. I think this does limit leg drive to some degree, although Norwood runs with good power for his size. Bottom line is that is does not matter if they are productive. But they just do not fall into your typical physical feature category for the majority of starting NFL backs. I think Jerome Harrison (similar stature) from CLE is a good running back, but for whatever reason he sees very few carries. Norwood was clearly the more effective RB in ATL last season, but Dunn took the majority. McFadden compares to Norwood physically as well as what he offers on the field. I guess I would like your input on them due to the fact that I have only seen each play a couple of times. I would rate them as such:Explosiveness: EqualVision: NorwoodJuking/Cutting: NorwoodPower: McFadden (it is close though)Hands: EqualPassing Ability: McFadden :unsure:Blocking: ?So as of right now I essentially see these guys as similar running backs. I would love it if you convinced me otherwise (I may end up with the top pick in my dynasty league and would love a consensus #1). My thoughts are not set in stone so I would love to hear what your opinion is.Thanks

The Scientist said:
JohnnyU said:
:thumbup: McFadden is very overrated
So you don't want the Seahawks to trade up for him?
That was sooooo last week. The more I look at him the more I really don't like him. Over the last week I decided to REALLY take a look at some of the top RB's this year and I would much rather see the Seahawks take Stewart or Mendenhall. I actually really think Mike Hart would be great in the 2nd round. He catches the ball well and I think he would be awesome in their offense.

This was mentioned in "The Audible", but I did a search and didn't find it anywhere. I thought any fans that didn't listen to Bloom and Lammey would still want to know about these comments.

As for what was said, I have never been a fan of McFadden. I think he lacks the vision, leg drive/power, and elusiveness you look for in an elite back. Now both Mayock and Baldinger have come out publicly and questioned McFadden's talent. I think Baldinger's statement is a little strong, but those with the 1.1 have to be a little confused about who to pick.

Why?????...I have the 1.01 and am not confused one bit.......Unless some startling development occurs like where he isn't drafted into a starting job or something, I'm taking McFadden w/o hesitation.

Why?????...I have the 1.01 and am not confused one bit.......Unless some startling development occurs like where he isn't drafted into a starting job or something, I'm taking McFadden w/o hesitation.
Well apparently you see him as consensus #1. Others have a different opinion. My belief is that there is no consensus #1. I would have a difficult time deciding who to pick at 1.01.

All these McFadden bashers kill me.......when/if their team drafts him, they will be jumping for joy..... :thumbup: :D :thumbup:
Not bashing him, just not electing him to the hall of fame yet. I think that there are weaknesses in his game that will show in the big leagues. It seems like his supporters think that he is on the same level as Adrian Peterson when he came out. I don't think that he is anywhere near that back, and I do not believe that he will have anywhere near that impact.

All these McFadden bashers kill me.......when/if their team drafts him, they will be jumping for joy..... :confused: :D :yes:
Not bashing him, just not electing him to the hall of fame yet. I think that there are weaknesses in his game that will show in the big leagues. It seems like his supporters think that he is on the same level as Adrian Peterson when he came out. I don't think that he is anywhere near that back, and I do not believe that he will have anywhere near that impact.
:) My concerns about him are his ability to break takles and his vision. I think he is lacking in both departments.

All these McFadden bashers kill me.......when/if their team drafts him, they will be jumping for joy.....

:shrug: :D :yes:
Watch clips on Youtube and what do you see? I see a RB with out vision and power. He has a little Shaun Alexander in him (he goes down on first contact). Here is who the #1 RB is http://youtube.com/watch?v=h2yKRVAHItU&feature=related
I have the 1.01 this year and really like Stewart, but the McFaden bashing is a little overkill. I see DMAC as the numbr 2 right behind Stewart.

Users who are viewing this thread