What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bruce Willis stepping away from acting (1 Viewer)

"Looper" is probably the most recent film I've seen him in and that has to be over a dozen or so years old.  

:(   Love so many of his movies.. Even some of the clunkers were worth 1 watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
This sucks. Looking at his IMDB page, he’s been in way more recent movies than I realized. A handful at least every year. Glass is the only big name that stands out to me recently, enjoyed that one a fair amount. Probably some hidden gems in his work I haven’t seen 

Yeah he makes like 8 straight-to-video awful movies a year, I've seen most of them. Awful action movies got me through a bunch of lockdown. He's always had a rep as tough to work with so that was part of why he wasn't making Hollywood films, but, the aphasia has to be a part of it too. Long heard he couldn't physically do the job anymore. 

Found this wholesome post on Reddit:

When Red 2 came out, I went to its press junket in NY. My first press junket, actually. I was booked to interview the screenwriters and the director but none of the actors. However, being new to the biz and a bit ballsy, I asked the person running the event if I could get an interview with a member of the star-studded cast since they were all there anyways. My request was politely declined. While interviewing the director, Bruce Willis popped in and said he heard this was my first press junket and that I was eager to speak with a member of the cast, so he sat down with me and gave me a half-hour interview. It ended only when I had run out of questions to ask him. He couldn't have been nicer. He even offered to take a picture with me but I politely declined because I thought that would've been unprofessional. He got a kick out of that and gave me a handshake.

Here's a link to the interview. Bruce Willis pops in around the 10 min mark, I believe.

https://soundcloud.com/nailbiter111/bruce-willis-dean-parisot

I’ve read some stories by people who knew this was coming for a while - being fed lines through an earpiece, working as much as he could while he still had a mind that could do it.  He relies heavily on his assistants.  Reddit had some stories too.  Really sad…

Sad. Dude has been absolutely pumping out movies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Willis_filmography
Was sad to hear it yesterday. I noticed he has been in a tremendous amount of movies that are showing up on Netflix et al. Most are pretty bad and I was wondering if he was having cash problems, this explains it.

Was sad to hear it yesterday. I noticed he has been in a tremendous amount of movies that are showing up on Netflix et al. Most are pretty bad and I was wondering if he was having cash problems, this explains it.
Yeah - i ws browsing over the weekend and noticed a bunch of movies hes been in recently that i never heard of

Yeah - i ws browsing over the weekend and noticed a bunch of movies hes been in recently that i never heard of
8 films in 2021, none of which were acclaimed 

Due to a favorable box office sharing contract he made $100M off Sixth Sense - that’s the highest payout an actor ever received for one film

He's retiring a quarter-billionaire 

Last edited by a moderator:
8 films in 2021, none of which were acclaimed 

Due to a favorable box office sharing contract he made $100M off Sixth Sense - that’s the highest payout an actor ever received for one film

He's retiring a quarter-billionaire 
I didnt think he was broke or anything.  I just assumed he was just doing whatever he felt like for wahtever reason.  Basically to not be bored.  This makes a little more sense

I didnt think he was broke or anything.  I just assumed he was just doing whatever he felt like for wahtever reason.  Basically to not be bored.  This makes a little more sense
They say he was still commanding a hefty salary. He’s got 5 kids. Good on him.

He was able to pull off funny, dangerous, vulnerable, sexy so well. The perfect action hero counter to the Arnold-Stallone muscle bound run of the 80s.
He also pulled off remaining best friends with his ex-wife. That’s a pretty amazing achievement.

I’m friendly with my ex- and we always put what’s best for the kid first. But no dinners or invites to each other’s weddings. Mad respect there even if it does seem weird.

They say he was still commanding a hefty salary. He’s got 5 kids. Good on him.
Yeah he would take about $2-$3 million to do 3/4 days work on some of those straight-to-video movies. Shoot all his scenes in a row, take the paycheck, and move on to the next. Filmmakers would do it just to put his name and face on the poster. 

The movies aren't good. He was absolutely not himself, but I couldn't tell if he just didn't care or what. I guess now it's mostly him getting fed his lines off screen.

Anyway, he had the reputation of being tough to work with, and was accustomed to a certain level of treatment that he wasn't getting anymore. Makes way more sense to work for a half-week and bank 3 million eight times, rather than work 50 days on a film, get paid 20 million, but be second- or third-banana, have to deal with other actors making demands above you, work on their schedule, wait days between scenes, not getting all your standard accouterments, etc. 

I had to look up the disease. Sounds horrible. So sad. 
Caveat: I'm not a doctor but someone working in the dementia field as a researcher.

Based on the symptoms in the article, it is likely a neurodegenerative progressive disease, as opposed to a stroke in language areas of the brain which might not get worse over time. The most likely etiological diagnoses are Alzheimer's Disease and a fronto-temporal variant such as Primary Progressive Aphasia. Alzheimer's Disease usually presents with memory problems, but can present with language problems.

>>These syndromes result from a variety of underlying diseases, but frontotemporal lobar degeneration (FTLD) (both tau and TDP-43 subtypes) or Alzheimer’s disease is most often the cause.

The majority of people with PPA have problems expressing themselves with language, while their memory stays relatively intact, especially during the first two years of decline. Difficulties reading and writing may develop as the disease progresses. At the UCSF Memory and Aging Center, we have found a small group of patients with PPA who develop new creative skills in music and art as their language skills decline.<<

The above is from a center of excellent in dementia & FTLD at UCSF: 

https://memory.ucsf.edu/dementia/primary-progressive-aphasia

And as far as Christmas movie villains go,  Hans Gruber > The Grinch
So, I was thinking about this movie yesterday.  I did some yardwork down by my lake (look at me, I live on a lake) on Tuesday spraying the cattails with diquat herbicide and going to town on the grass with a trimmer.  Then, yesterday I went out there again to spray it all and kept thinking about the scene where the swat team tries to rush the building and then they bring up the RV.  The terrorists blast it once with the rocket launcher "Oh, and the quarterback is TOAST!" anyway... Hans goes, "Hit it again" and I kept thinking that line to myself as I sprayed those cattails for the second day in a row. 

Die Hard is a Christmas movie. 
To be clear, I am not disagreeing with you. But does that make Die Hard 2 and Lethal Weapon Christmas movies? I guess I am asking if all movies that take place at Christmas automatically qualify as Christmas movies?

To be clear, I am not disagreeing with you. But does that make Die Hard 2 and Lethal Weapon Christmas movies? I guess I am asking if all movies that take place at Christmas automatically qualify as Christmas movies?
The original Die Hard has multiple elements referencing Christmas throughout the movie.  The other two don't, really.  They just happen to occur at Christmas Time.

The original Die Hard has multiple elements referencing Christmas throughout the movie.  The other two don't, really.  They just happen to occur at Christmas Time.
Not really worth a huge discussion or debate over. To each his/her own, I guess. IMO, none of these movies fit the traditional holiday movie framework, but if we want to creatively add films into the general category, then that's great too.

Like the original, Die Hard 2 takes place entirely on Christmas Eve and one of the themes is reconnecting lots of families for Xmas (including John McClane's). I never really quite figured out the back story on DH2. The McClanes live in California. Their kids are said to be with Holly's parents. Yet John is on his way to get Holly at the Washington, DC airport. Not sure where the parents live, but it seems odd that John was there to pick her up. Did they all fly to DC separately? What parents aren't with their kids on Xmas Eve?

Interestingly enough, Willis himself has said Neither DH1 or DH2 are Christmas movies. The screenwriter has said that the movies were written and then they set them at Christmas time. But he thinks as time has evolved, like others, he now considers them Christmas movies. Die Hard 2 was adapted from a book about an incident in an airport, which then was developed into a Die Hard at an Airport narrative (again using Christmas as a backdrop).

Lethal Weapon has scenes about buying a Christmas tree, Roger's house has Christmas decorations, and there are scenes involving Christmas trees as part of scenes. The movie ends with Christmas dinner. There's talk about the holiday season and giving presents several times in the movie. And it's got Christmas music in it.

I’ve read some stories by people who knew this was coming for a while - being fed lines through an earpiece, working as much as he could while he still had a mind that could do it.  He relies heavily on his assistants.  Reddit had some stories too.  Really sad…
RedLetterMedia covered the recent string of straight to Redbox/streaming movies he's done. 

https://youtu.be/cd1eNS9HtXo 

And a follow up: https://youtu.be/FbLk4ktAE5U 

Grahamburn said:
Die Hard is a Christmas movie. 
totally off topic, but I teach college graphic design, and I have an assignment where the students have to design a poster, invite and ad for a holiday event. So I normally get things like Easter party, or Memorial Day Concerts, etc. 

Last semester one of my students designed the suite to the Nakatomi Plaza Christmas Party. I def gave him some extra credit for that one. lol

Users who are viewing this thread