What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Buffalo WR's ? (1 Viewer)

crazy8

Footballguy
What is the scope on James Hardy their #2 pick a couple of years ago

with TO gone and this his 3rd year has he showed any potential to start ?

He's available as a free agent in our league and I'm pretty weak at wr wondered

if worth taking a shot on as a sleeper.

crazy8 said:
What is the scope on James Hardy their #2 pick a couple of years ago

with TO gone and this his 3rd year has he showed any potential to start ?

He's available as a free agent in our league and I'm pretty weak at wr wondered

if worth taking a shot on as a sleeper.
I don't know about Hardy, but from what I remember he has had a hard time staying healthy. With Josh Reed and TO both gone, one would think someone will have to play....I dont think any options are real good plays mainly because of the QB situation. One guy that you might take a look at is this guy Marcus Easlely I think he might be a better gamble that you can snag in the 3rd or 4th round of a rookie draft. Who knows though?

Watched Hardy thoughout his college career; just don't think he has the work ethic and football skills to be successful in the NFL. Plus, there's the injuries.

I like one of either Steve Johnson or rookie Marcus Easley to start opposite Evans.

TE Shawn Nelson should see an increase in targets if he can show some progress this year. Any Bills followers have an update on his development towards becoming a legit fantasy football TE?

I predict the depth chart to look as follows:

Evans

S.Johnson

J. Hardy

Parrish

M. Easley

Easley is raw and has questionable hands, I don't see he making an impact this year.

I think Stevie Johnson has more potential than Hardy, but Johnson is more suited to the slot. I think you'll see Hardy at WR2 & Johnson in the slot. Hardy spent a year as TO's protege, literally, so hopefully he's able to remember plays and run decent routes now. Chad Jackson could be an x-factor, but I think he'll be stuck at WR4. Easley will be a solid special teamer right away, but I doubt he sees much time at WR in year 1.

Considering the QB play and Evans, Nelson, & the RBs- the WR2 & WR3 positions in Buffalo will be far too inconsistent for FF use IMO.

I don't get all the Stevie Johnson love. The Bills had WR issues all last season, and Stevie Johnson was left on the inactive list for a large part of that time depsite being healthy. He's just not very talented. Even if he somehow wins the starting job, i see his upside being something similar to that of Josh Reed. So unless Josh Reed is a valuable player in your league, I highly doubt Stevie Johnson ever will. Even if you pick up Stevie Johnson and he ends up being successful, he still won't be worth a fantasy roster spot in all but the deepest of leagues.

James Hardy, on the other hand, has the skills and size to be a 1000 yard WR. So I would advise to pick up James Hardy and hope he turns out to be successful, you got a 1000 yard WR on your hands. If he fails, you can put him back on waivers where you got him.

I don't get all the Stevie Johnson love. The Bills had WR issues all last season, and Stevie Johnson was left on the inactive list for a large part of that time depsite being healthy. He's just not very talented. Even if he somehow wins the starting job, i see his upside being something similar to that of Josh Reed. So unless Josh Reed is a valuable player in your league, I highly doubt Stevie Johnson ever will. Even if you pick up Stevie Johnson and he ends up being successful, he still won't be worth a fantasy roster spot in all but the deepest of leagues.James Hardy, on the other hand, has the skills and size to be a 1000 yard WR. So I would advise to pick up James Hardy and hope he turns out to be successful, you got a 1000 yard WR on your hands. If he fails, you can put him back on waivers where you got him.
I don't know that I'd take any coaching decisions in Buffalo over the last 10 years as proff of anything. IMO, whenever Steve Johnson has been given a shot he's done pretty well. I do agree that he seems to be a better slot WR though. I think Hardy and Easley probably battle for the #2.

I don't get all the Stevie Johnson love. The Bills had WR issues all last season, and Stevie Johnson was left on the inactive list for a large part of that time depsite being healthy. He's just not very talented. Even if he somehow wins the starting job, i see his upside being something similar to that of Josh Reed. So unless Josh Reed is a valuable player in your league, I highly doubt Stevie Johnson ever will. Even if you pick up Stevie Johnson and he ends up being successful, he still won't be worth a fantasy roster spot in all but the deepest of leagues.

James Hardy, on the other hand, has the skills and size to be a 1000 yard WR. So I would advise to pick up James Hardy and hope he turns out to be successful, you got a 1000 yard WR on your hands. If he fails, you can put him back on waivers where you got him.
I don't know that I'd take any coaching decisions in Buffalo over the last 10 years as proff of anything. IMO, whenever Steve Johnson has been given a shot he's done pretty well. I do agree that he seems to be a better slot WR though. I think Hardy and Easley probably battle for the #2.
I don't understand this. Just because a player is best suited for the slot does not mean that they can't start for their team. Just this past season, guys like Wes Welker, Anquan Boldin, Hines Ward and Steve Smith (NYG) all started for their teams but frequently moved into the slot in 3+ WR formations (there are many other (lower-profile) players that did so as well that I did not list; for example, TJ Houshmandzadeh took a significant number of snaps in the slot during his time in Cincinnatti). If Steve Johnson proves to be a better receiver than Hardy or Easley, he could start across from Evans and then move into the slot when Hardy or Easley enter the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been asking myself this same question for a few weeks now. I actually took late round flyers on Hardy and Jackson in my recent rookie draft hoping that one of them emerges from the wreckage.

Lord. These options look brutal, and that's coming from a Rams fan. I guess Hardy, hopefully showing improvement.

I predict the depth chart to look as follows:

Evans

S.Johnson

J. Hardy

Parrish

M. Easley

Easley is raw and has questionable hands, I don't see he making an impact this year.
???UCONN season ticket holder, not sure where this came from. Raw, yes. Questionable hands? No.

Seems like people are cold on Easley, but like I said in post above, I am a UCONN season ticket holder. I have seen every single game, and record them to watch them again after the game.

Here is what I think of Easley:

He was a walkon and did not really play his first two seasons. HE had to work his way up from the bottom, on a run, run, and run some more team. The quarterback play was absolutely atrocious through his junior year. There were times when UCONN ran a set with one receiver Easley's Junior year, and that receiver was Easley, mainly because of his tremendous blocking. So right off the bat, the Bills are getting a receiver who values blocking quite a bit. That should endear him to coaches. UCONN hired Joe Moorehead to be their O Coordinator last year, and they finally had a semblance of a passing game. THey also got decent qb play, although Zach Frazer was not very good at hitting the receivers where he was supposed to. Which is why I do not get the bad hands rep. If Easley got his hands on it, he caught it. And his speed and run after the catch ability is quite good. Here is his issue as I see it right now, he is raw in his route running. But the Bills are getting an incredibly hard worker, with a tremendous size speed ratio. I would strongly suggest people take a flier on this guy in fantasy drafts.

He was a walkon and did not really play his first two seasons. HE had to work his way up from the bottom, on a run, run, and run some more team. The quarterback play was absolutely atrocious through his junior year. There were times when UCONN ran a set with one receiver Easley's Junior year, and that receiver was Easley, mainly because of his tremendous blocking. So right off the bat, the Bills are getting a receiver who values blocking quite a bit. That should endear him to coaches. UCONN hired Joe Moorehead to be their O Coordinator last year, and they finally had a semblance of a passing game. THey also got decent qb play, although Zach Frazer was not very good at hitting the receivers where he was supposed to. Which is why I do not get the bad hands rep. If Easley got his hands on it, he caught it. And his speed and run after the catch ability is quite good. Here is his issue as I see it right now, he is raw in his route running. But the Bills are getting an incredibly hard worker, with a tremendous size speed ratio. I would strongly suggest people take a flier on this guy in fantasy drafts.
Thanks for the info. This guy should be available into the 4th in most rookie drafts.

beto said:
Balco said:
Thanks for the info. This guy should be available into the 4th in most rookie drafts.
Great guy to nab there. He has the talent, and the work ethic to be a very good player. When finally given a shot at UCONN he exploded. Some of his catches, and runs after the catch were ridiculous. There is no question he will get an opportunity in the next two years. TO get that in the 4th round is pretty good.

I like Easley quite a bit as well, though he's been drafted in the 2nd and 3rd in my drafts so far.

But unless Brohm turns out to be better than the Packers thought he was it's hard to see how the 2nd WR in Buffalo has any value. Let alone the third. Even Evans, who I think is a top talent, hasn't been able to be relevant in FF for the last couple years in that offense.

On the other hand... if Brohm were to emerge or the Bills sign an actual NFL QB I think a 1-2-3 punch of Evans-Easley-Johnson might be very effective.

Steve Johnson has consistently out-practiced James Hardy and outplayed him in preseason action. And I don't see him as a slot guy at all. He has good size and leaping ability, and the previous coaching staff loved his presence in the red zone.

He didn't play last year because the Bills had T.O., Lee Evans, and then Josh Reed in the slot. Johnson hasn't been an asset on special teams, so there was no sense having him active if he wasn't going to leapfrog one of the veterans.

FWIW, I think Johnson wins the No. 2 job handily.

Also, I think the slot receiver on this team is C.J. Spiller.

I, too, like easley and Johnson. Those doubting Johnson should look back to his production last yr at Kentucky with Andre woodson at qb. He made some huge catches

per Rotoworld:

Bills WR James Hardy was a no-show for the team's most recent minicamp.

Chan Gailey revealed that Hardy had "a personal commitment," although the nature of the commitment is unclear. Not unlike Limas Sweed (though Sweed is more talented), Hardy's career has been a complete bust to this point. We have a hard time believing he'll beat out Steven Johnson for a starting job.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...NFL&id=4635

Rookie Marcus Easley getting some good reports via Twitter from people watching the OTA's.

@christrapasso: Marcus Easley has all the makings to be a legit chain mover that can also stretch the field. They say he's deceptively fast. (06/05)

"On offense fourth-round pick Marcus Easley had his second long touchdown catch in as many days as he's shown a knack for getting behind defenders." Chris Brown @buffalobillscom (06/04)

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've read, Roscoe Parrish has been getting a lot of playing time with the first team. Apparently, Gailey has been using him all over the field, not just in the slot.

Also, there is a lot of talk about how good Shawn Nelson has been, and Marcus Easley seems to get open for long TD passes at least once a practice.

Not much news on Stevie Johnson, Hardy, and Chad Jackson, but that doesn't mean that one of these guys won't end up being the #2.

Steve Johnson-WR- Bills Jun. 23 - 2:27 pm et

Steve Johnson ran as the Bills' No. 2 receiver as the team opened mandatory minicamp on Wednesday.

Johnson also was the starter at OTAs a few weeks ago. Former second-round pick James Hardy continues to look like a bust, while promising rookie Marcus Easley doesn't seem to be getting a realistic chance to start. While the position is unlikely to offer much -- if any -- fantasy value, it seems clear that Johnson has the upper hand. We've always preferred him to Hardy.

Source: Buffalo News

Related: James Hardy, Marcus Easley

Users who are viewing this thread