What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bye Bye Barry (1 Viewer)

No one was a fan of Scott Mitchell

Mitchell makes some really fair points. Bobby Ross was never the genius people thought he was. People and players get buried in the NFL due to circumstance and coaching. I see no reason to take Mitchell at other than face value. The numbers sort of back him up, actually.

Sanders was a great back. In my mind, better than Emmitt. But he had flaws, as did his team.

Scott Mitchell wasn't very good. He had nice stats in 1995, but that Lions offense was just loaded all-around. 36-year-old Dave Krieg put up better numbers for a half-season in 1994 with basically the same personnel. They not only had Barry, but good WR led by Herman Moore, and two all-pro linemen, Kevin Glover and Lomas Brown.

That said, blaming Mitchell for Barry not winning a Super Bowl is silly. Running backs can only impact the game so much, and he was on the Lions, not exactly a model franchise. It would've been fun to see those Detroit teams with Warren Moon at QB instead of Mitchell, but I don't know if that would've been enough to take down the Cowboys and 49ers.

Man, I used to love to watch him run.

Of all the recent documentaries about football greats, this one was fun.
I read the thread title, and a bunch of the replies, and had to rush to google if he died today.
Was all very quick but saw the thread title, thought someone named Barry died based on the OP's sig thought it was a former Bronco coach or player. Read first sentence and thought "damn, Barry Sanders. I just saw that dude this morning on TV talking about his upcoming doc"

And in terms of best ever I'll sit that debate out but all I can say is without a doubt, not even close to a second, Barry was my favorite RB I've ever watched play and possibly my favorite player to watch ever.

Started watching the NFL in 1980. Like every other kid at that age we all wanted to wear 34 because of Sweetness and Earl. Those two helped me fall in love with the game but Barry was something uniquely special to watch.

2nd greatest back in history behind Jim Brown, with Walter Payton 3rd.

Man, I used to love to watch him run.

Of all the recent documentaries about football greats, this one was fun.
I read the thread title, and a bunch of the replies, and had to rush to google if he died today.
Was all very quick but saw the thread title, thought someone named Barry died based on the OP's sig thought it was a former Bronco coach or player. Read first sentence and thought "damn, Barry Sanders. I just saw that dude this morning on TV talking about his upcoming doc"
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

People fail to understand how good Barry really was. The Lions were the worst organization is sports and yet Barry was still spectacular year after year after year. Barry is hands down the best RB who ever walked this planet.

Really enjoyed the show - Best RB I’ve ever seen.

Those 2 spinal cord injuries to his teammates + the Lions letting some key players/some he was close to go + losing = gives me a better understanding on why he hung em up so early in his career.

Who was the Lions GM at the time?

Nominally it was Chuck Schmidt, but he was just the titleholder who negotiated contracts and handled administrative aspects.

Wayne Fontes was given carte blanche by William Clay Ford regarding all personnel decisions for the 8 seasons he survived as HC.

Last edited:
Most exciting RB I’ve ever watched. His change of direction and explosive speed from a stop were just unreal. He made more defenders look silly than any other player I’ve ever watched.

Watching now.

I saw a lot of this when I was a kid, but my god he was brilliant.

Never seen another RB like him. Not LT2, not Priest, no one.

this is the comparison for me as well. I believe I saw every carry of his career. it doesn't matter where you rank him, there was never anyone quite like him - maybe Gale Sayers is the closest comp.
There are athletes from that era that transcended sports. Gretzky, Jordan, Montana. I would put Barry on that level. He was magnificent. I didn't really even like the NFL as a kid and started watching because Barry. And what a great decade to grow up in Detroit. Bad Boys, Barry, Fab Five, Russian Five, Stevie Y, Charles Woodson, young Brady...But Barry was my favorite.

Watching now.

I saw a lot of this when I was a kid, but my god he was brilliant.

Never seen another RB like him. Not LT2, not Priest, no one.

this is the comparison for me as well. I believe I saw every carry of his career. it doesn't matter where you rank him, there was never anyone quite like him - maybe Gale Sayers is the closest comp.
There are athletes from that era that transcended sports. Gretzky, Jordan, Montana. I would put Barry on that level. He was magnificent. I didn't really even like the NFL as a kid and started watching because Barry. And what a great decade to grow up in Detroit. Bad Boys, Barry, Fab Five, Russian Five, Stevie Y, Charles Woodson, young Brady...But Barry was my favorite.

Barry to me is on par with figures like Howe, Yzerman, Bing and Kaline - Detroit sports royalty.

Barry was pretty relaxed doing interviews with Eisen and McAfee this week. Nice to see, he is painfully shy and didn't open up much when he was younger.

He met Gibbs at the airport the day after the draft. They sent Gulfstream Vs to go pickup Gibbs and Campbell, then had them ride in separate Navigators to Allen Park with Chris Spielman and Barry. It's great having alumni like Sanders and Megatron around. We don't have a lot of greats to call upon but part of their cultural shift / current transparency is to own the fact they have been abysmal for most of the last 66 years.

Barry was the most exciting to watch. Walter was the best. Hands down.
No, that belongs to Jim Brown.
Oh please. Nobody has a more exciting highlight reel than Barry. You could probably take Barry's top 50 runs and match them against the top 50 from all other backs in the field......and Barry's would still be better.

Last edited:
The most depressing thing about the documentary is when ABC put up a graphic of about 8 great players that the Lions did not resign from like 1985 through 1988...names like Benny Blades and Lomas Brown. The amount of talent the Lions just let slip away through free agency is maddening. How dirty Lions mismanaged players, putting the franchise tag on them and then removing it after the FA signing deadline. Just so much incompetence and pettiness. Not wanting to sign Warren Moon and Joe Montana because they were too old. The Lions organization deserved the dumping on for how poorly they handled things.

Barry was the most exciting to watch. Walter was the best. Hands down.
No, that belongs to Jim Brown.
Oh please. Nobody has a more exciting highlight reel than Barry. You could probably take Barry's top 50 runs and match them against the top 50 backs from all other backs in the field, and Barry's would still be better.
I understand why you ignore Brown because you never saw him play and may not know his history . He’s not only the best RB in history, he’s the best football player in history.

Brown was a Pro Bowl invitee every season he was in the league, was recognized as the AP NFL Most Valuable Player three times, and won an NFL championship with the Browns in 1964. He led the league in rushing yards in eight out of his nine seasons, and by the time he retired, he held most major rushing records. In 2002, he was named by The Sporting News as the greatest professional football player ever.

Also never missed a game.

Also best lacrosse player of all time.

Nothing against Sanders, who I have #2, with Payton #3 and Simpson #4. Several could fit in at 4, such as Dickerson, LT, Peterson. No, not Smith that high.

An interesting tidbit from the Pat McAfee show when he was interviewing Arnold Schwarzenegger yesterday. When Arnold first came over to the US he was amazed at all the pro athletics who looked down on weightlifting. The belief back then was that weightlifting was slow you down, make you less agile and negatively impact your skills. Players back then were mean and nasty, but physically there was no comparison in speed and strength outside a few freaks.

If Barry Sanders went back to the era of Jim Brown, the stats he would put up would be like his junior year in college, 2850 yards and 44 YDs. Barry had the most freakish set of athletic athletism, instincts, juking, and speed ever. And yes his legs were like tree trunks and he was strong as all heck. To me, Walter is the only one who was close, with Jim Brown at #3.

I loved me some Barry - don't get me wrong. But I always felt like he wasn't a complete RB. He was just as likely to take a loss as bust a big one. The routine plays you expect your RB to make, he didn't always get it. The highlight runs are amazing, but all of his carries for -2 yards don't make the reel.

Game on the line - 3rd and goal from the 2...Give me Payton or Jim Brown.

I loved me some Barry - don't get me wrong. But I always felt like he wasn't a complete RB. He was just as likely to take a loss as bust a big one. The routine plays you expect your RB to make, he didn't always get it. The highlight runs are amazing, but all of his carries for -2 yards don't make the reel.

Did you watch him regularly? It was common for someone to be grabbing Sanders as soon as he touched the ball. There are numerous plays Sanders had to avoid 6 tacklers behind the line of scrimmage just to make a yard. Lions did occasionally have some great lineman, but they would quickly let them all slip away in free agencies. The Lions were cheap as heck and never invested to win a championship. It was a miracle Barry could look like the best in the league as he did year after year playing with a very suspect cast of supporting characters. Sanders was a complete back.

Did you watch him regularly? It was common for someone to be grabbing Sanders as soon as he touched the ball. There are numerous plays Sanders had to avoid 6 tacklers behind the line of scrimmage just to make a yard. Lions did occasionally have some great lineman, but they would quickly let them all slip away in free agencies. The Lions were cheap as heck and never invested to win a championship. It was a miracle Barry could look like the best in the league as he did year after year playing with a very suspect cast of supporting characters. Sanders was a complete back.
As much as I could, yes.

This was a pretty hotly debated topic in the forums 20 years ago. I remember digging into the stats and IIRC found Barry had only around one more TFL per game than Emmitt and only lost about 1 more yard per game. He still ended up with a better yards per game.

My conclusion was there wasn't much reality to his negative runs being much impact. Especially in light of the O line differences. There was a stat of how many yards Emmitt averaged before contact and it was pretty telling the difference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread