What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Calvin Johnson New Injury? (Hand + Knee) (1 Viewer)

Debeucci

Footballguy
From Rotoworld:

According to the Associated Press, Calvin Johnson (hand, knee) is "doubtful" to play on Thanksgiving against Green Bay.The AP doesn't cite sources, but issued the report after coach Jim Schwartz's Monday presser. Schwartz "didn't sound optimistic" that Calvin would play on Thursday. Johnson wouldn't have practiced if the Lions held a workout Monday, which isn't an encouraging sign. Keep a close eye on Tuesday and Wednesday's practice reports. He'll likely be listed as questionable. Nov. 23 - 7:11 pm et
(Moderator, please delete if this is a repeat)

Last edited by a moderator:
Geez, another injury for him? He's certainly tough but maybe these glass man accusations are more true than I'd like to think.

Man, what is it with Detroit and injured WR's? Do these guys not drink enough milk?
Maybe they've had a series of inaccurate QBs with no time behind their woeful line throwing to receivers who have the speed and willingness to get to the ball in traffic, which leads to them getting killed.

This seems pretty speculative even for Rotoworld. Calvin was on the field for the final drive, and the hail mary.

Did he get hurt during the locker room celebration?

This seems pretty speculative even for Rotoworld. Calvin was on the field for the final drive, and the hail mary.Did he get hurt during the locker room celebration?
Nope, on the hail mary. He was not in the last play of the game. But I agree still pretty speculative.

Grahamburn said:
This seems pretty speculative even for Rotoworld. Calvin was on the field for the final drive, and the hail mary.Did he get hurt during the locker room celebration?
They said he was hurt in the endzone at the end of the hail mary... As I mentioned in the other Calvin thread, he wasn't in on the very last play where they scored the game winning TD. Bryant Johnson was the lone WR in on the play (lined up on the left side).Color me concerned...

I wish Detroit would stop drafting good talented players out of college. that place is cursed. they ruin everything they touch.

I think it's a little irresponsible to label him "doubtful" so long before an official injury report is released.

Just the use of the term is sure to cause confusion and panic.

He may end up being a no go, but it is far too soon to make that call.

the hand was something that they were monitoring for this week and nothing that was too bad. the knee is the same thing that has been injured because so many people drop the helmet directly on that knee because hitting anywhere around the shoulders is strictly outlawed and will kill more players careers than the possible concussions.

oh uhh sorry outrage with the NFL rules snuck in there. calvin does seem to be a bit injury prone but they aren't extremely serious injuries and the hits he takes would result in very similar injuries for most other players.

it seems like this injury is a nagging type that flares up when he gets pegged the right way.

as for thursday i don't think he will be playing which will make me sad because i am pretty sure stafford will be out as well. making a solid showing near impossible.

Calvin Johnson has been a bust this season. Not sure how people compared him to AJ, Fitz, Moss. With no QB and durability concerns, this was expected.

Calvin Johnson has been a bust this season. Not sure how people compared him to AJ, Fitz, Moss. With no QB and durability concerns, this was expected.
:confused: Durability concerns? He didn't have durability concerns. He was coming off of a 16 game season and he is a physical freak. No QB? He had a highly ranked rookie QB which is better than he had during his very productive previous season.People said the same thing about Roddy White last year and he increased his numbers. Calvin would have had a very good season this year as well but he got hurt. Not because he has durability concerns but because he plays a physical game called "football" where you can "expect" anyone to get hurt.Even one of your examples above had "durability" concerns after his 2007 season. I think it worked out ok.

I think it's a little irresponsible to label him "doubtful" so long before an official injury report is released.Just the use of the term is sure to cause confusion and panic.He may end up being a no go, but it is far too soon to make that call.
It's not too early since they play on Thursday.

I think it's a little irresponsible to label him "doubtful" so long before an official injury report is released.Just the use of the term is sure to cause confusion and panic.He may end up being a no go, but it is far too soon to make that call.
It's not too early since they play on Thursday.
It's not too soon to make a call, but it is too soon to use the word doubtful with very little to go on. All Schwartz said when asked if Calvin would play is "we'll see". Questionable seems more accurate to me.

This hurts, just when it seems like CJ and Det were starting to put it together.

In the event that Calvin Johnson is out, are either of Bryant Johnson or Dennis Northcutt good plays vs. an ailing Green Bay defense?

I don't know what to believe about his injury just yet. This might be Schwartz playing games again with injuries and speculation. We'll know more today.....if he doesn't practice then I'm officially concerned.

Calvin looked perfectly fine .. early in the game he looked a little gimpy then he exploded for a long TD! Something is up here if Calvin doen't play. Stafford I expect to be out.

This hurts, just when it seems like CJ and Det were starting to put it together. In the event that Calvin Johnson is out, are either of Bryant Johnson or Dennis Northcutt good plays vs. an ailing Green Bay defense?
Northcutt was OK. Johnson was awful in the first game. Culpepper was putrid starting for Stafford and Stanton was terrible too. Although the Packers' defense has major issues right now, I'd highly recommend starting them if Megatron and Stafford are out.

I'm a little concerned, but THIS does not look like a player who was injured on the last play of the game.
I see a guy barely standing on one leg, about to fall backwards, and screaming out in pain.
What do I like about the pic? He loves his QB and his QB loves him.....they ran to each other. End the myth's about no love between the 2. There are 75 other humans on that sideline.....most find their "bro" or the guy next to them in a time if exhuberant celebration.......This is the beginning of something real statistically special (barring injuries of course, lol)and for the record, after Stafford threw the TD that began the last play....the extra point was the last play...is it possible this pic is the re-injury happening? I am speculating. His original injury was to his right knee, he is clearly planting on that in this pic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clayton was on Mike & Mike this morning and talked about the Stafford injury and injuries to the GB defense but nothing about Calvin's "injury" :gang2:

Schwartz has been vague about injuries all year. If the NFL would allow it he'd list his entire team as "questionable" and when asked if someone was playing he'd likely always say "we'll see."

This is obvious speculation by Rotoworld.

In the pictures above it doesn't look like Calvin is in any pain...

I guess Schwartz was asked a direct question about Calvin being injured on the hail mary, and this is where his status for Thursday came into question?

If he practices even in a limited basis he plays -- The Thanksgiving game is Lions superbowl! Stafford yes he can't play but Calvin is fine!

Daunte needs to pretend his jersey says 84 and just throw it deep!

I'm a little concerned, but THIS does not look like a player who was injured on the last play of the game.
I see a guy who is the team's best player running from the sidelines to meet his qb after the game winning play. Since I don't typically see a team's best player in that situation, I am concerned.

I see a guy who is the team's best player running from the sidelines to meet his qb after the game winning play. Since I don't typically see a team's best player in that situation, I am concerned.
This is an excellent point, but I've watched the Lions play quite a bit this year and they have several goalline packages that don't include Calvin. It's very frustrating...He may have "tweaked" something on the hail mary, but his knee is obviously not injured that bad if he can sprint from the sidelines to congratulate his teammates.

This is an excellent point, but I've watched the Lions play quite a bit this year and they have several goalline packages that don't include Calvin. It's very frustrating...He may have "tweaked" something on the hail mary, but his knee is obviously not injured that bad if he can sprint from the sidelines to congratulate his teammates.
Stop it! You guys are getting my hopes up that he plays. I'm getting used to being let down.

Sounds like none of you have ever had a significant lingering knee injury. You can work all week to get the swelling down, and when the join is warm and in motion, it can be fine for duration of the event. Once the fluids and blood start moving back in, the swelling starts up again. If he tweaked it during the game a bit, he may have easily kept playing/able to celebrate but now it dealing with more swelling then last week and without the extra days to get the swelling down.(I had my ACL 92 and two arthroscopic knee surgeries, 95, 98 on right knee. I still deal with swelling when I'm active today.)

Sounds like none of you have ever had a significant lingering knee injury. You can work all week to get the swelling down, and when the join is warm and in motion, it can be fine for duration of the event. Once the fluids and blood start moving back in, the swelling starts up again. If he tweaked it during the game a bit, he may have easily kept playing/able to celebrate but now it dealing with more swelling then last week and without the extra days to get the swelling down.(I had my ACL 92 and two arthroscopic knee surgeries, 95, 98 on right knee. I still deal with swelling when I'm active today.)
Sprinting in a straight line to congratulate a teammate is a lot different than jumping and/or cutting, too.

Are you a doctor or just playing one on this board? :lmao: Now, back to Calvin Johnson......

Megatron not practicing today.I think we can rule him out for Thursday.
WOW. Very interesting. Doubtful would be accurate it seems. Do they practice tomorrow?
Practices the day before games are typically very light, no contact. Today would be the primary practice day for the Lions because of the Thursday game. If he's not practicing today I'd be very surprised if he played on Thursday. The only way I see it is if whatever problem(s) he's dealing with heal considerably in the next 48 hours.

I'll see you with an ACL 94 and scope 04, and raise you an ACL 08.

I'll see you with an ACL 94 and scope 04, and raise you an ACL 08.
Two ACL's? Nice:cadillac:

Users who are viewing this thread