What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CALVIN JOHNSON UPDATE! (1 Viewer)

JuSt CuZ

Footballguy
Anyone else lose sleep, It kinda looked like the AGonzo injury, anyone hear anything further, as this could hurt a lot of fantasy teams!

I'm sure he's slated for tests, but homers or close followers might know!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not be surprised to see the Lions shut him down for this week vs. GB, then go into the bye week, giving him nearly three weeks to get well.

I would not be surprised to see the Lions shut him down for this week vs. GB, then go into the bye week, giving him nearly three weeks to get well.
:thumbup: They need to run the ball with KSmith next weekend. They almost, ALMOST beat the Steelers w/o Mega-Tron this weekend. I don't think they beat G.B., but hanging with the Steelers w/o their best player was impressive.

I watched the PIT/DET game. When Calvin came to the sidelines, the camera crew showed him sitting down with an out-stretched leg. Calvin was rubbing the inside portion of his knee. This is normally indicative of an ACL injury. While I do not believe he tore his ACL, I do believe he could have strained it.

I watched the PIT/DET game. When Calvin came to the sidelines, the camera crew showed him sitting down with an out-stretched leg. Calvin was rubbing the inside portion of his knee. This is normally indicative of an ACL injury. While I do not believe he tore his ACL, I do believe he could have strained it.
He was walking, flexing, bouncing a little. I agree with the non-tearing portion, which could give us some hope for the playoffs. I am preparing for a 3-6 week absence, at least.

Maybe they should quit throwing him 2 yard screen passes and using him on end arounds. They are totally misusing him.

FavreCo said:
Mr. Black said:
FavreCo said:
Maybe they should quit throwing him 2 yard screen passes and using him on end arounds. They are totally misusing him.
:confused:
Lions message board was on fire last night about this. He is too tall to be running screen passes. Everyone is flying at his legs.End arounds are just flat out stupid coaching.
They ran that dumb play last wek against th Bears around the 10 yd line or so and Calvin was hit very low on that play also. I'm yelling at the TV like every week "this guys is 6ft 5 throw the damn fade" then the next play Stafford almost gets his leg ripped off. I don't understand these coaches misuse of their big wr's around the goal line. If I had Calvin I would throw a fade 4 straight times down near the goal line if the run isn't working, I like those odds. Yes I own Calvin in one league in case anyone is wondering.

Is it me, or are a lot of big time weapons not being used much this year?

Moss, Calvin, Forte, Jennings, Owens, S Smith (Car),

These guys need to get the ball and get it often!

I can honestly say that Calvin Johnson is my favorite player to watch in the NFL, and I'm a Dallas fan. I watch the Lions every single week just to see him and if he's injured for a long time or seriously, it's really going to be a sad day for me. I hope he's alright, the NFL seems like it's going to a committee approach all over the place and he's one of the few players left in the league that could take over every single week if given the opportunity.

Weiner Dog said:
Pain on the medial portion of the knee would be indictive of an MCL. You may see ACL tears associated with MCL injuries but I do not know how much you can read into someone rubbing their knee on the sideline. Would have liked to have actually seen the injury that would be more helpful in diagnosing. Paging Dr Bramel...

That is coincidental as some other boards I have seen have been saying it is a torn MCL - out 4- 6 weeks. Noon has a link so it's not worth going into yet..

Normally they can tell if it is an ACL on the sidelines or at least get a good idea with what they trainers can feel in the knee. The fact they wanted to try an get him back out there says it might not be that serious but we will see.

That is coincidental as some other boards I have seen have been saying it is a torn MCL - out 4- 6 weeks. Noon has a link so it's not worth going into yet..

Normally they can tell if it is an ACL on the sidelines or at least get a good idea with what they trainers can feel in the knee. The fact they wanted to try an get him back out there says it might not be that serious but we will see.
PLEASE NO! PLEASE! Ugh, if true....just........UGH. :rant:

PLEASE NO! PLEASE! Ugh, if true....just........UGH. :goodposting:
Again, I know nothing about the subject but they showed him very active on the sidelines. If any (A,P,M)CL was actually torn, would he really be able to be this active?

Listening to Schwartz presser right now:

We'll know more after we get the tests back, but my code word is 'not significant'

FavreCo said:
Mr. Black said:
FavreCo said:
:goodposting:
Lions message board was on fire last night about this. He is too tall to be running screen passes. Everyone is flying at his legs.End arounds are just flat out stupid coaching.
They ran that dumb play last wek against th Bears around the 10 yd line or so and Calvin was hit very low on that play also. I'm yelling at the TV like every week "this guys is 6ft 5 throw the damn fade" then the next play Stafford almost gets his leg ripped off. I don't understand these coaches misuse of their big wr's around the goal line. If I had Calvin I would throw a fade 4 straight times down near the goal line if the run isn't working, I like those odds. Yes I own Calvin in one league in case anyone is wondering.
I think the week before they ran the fake end around 10 times to set it up for the 8 yard gain late in the 4th quarter. The next week (Bears) they did the end around right away. Horrible.

Hey BobbyLayne, would you be able to give a recap once they finish and when you have the time? I heard on another MB from someone listening to the presser that he woke up with no swelling and only minor pain. That could be good news if that's the case. I expect to be without him this upcoming week, but if he's well enough to come back after the bye then I couldn't ask for much more.

from rotoworld:

Calvin Johnson | Wide Receiver

TEAM: Detroit Lions

HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6'5' / 235

DOB: 9/25/1985

COLLEGE: Georgia Tech

CONTRACT INFO: 8/3/2007: Signed a six-year, $55.5 million contract. Details

Main Page • Related News • Previous News • Career Stats • Game Log • Detroit Lions Tickets

Calvin Johnson-WR- Lions Oct. 12 - 3:37 pm et

Coach Jim Schwartz said Monday that the Lions do not consider Calvin Johnson's knee injury significant.

Schwartz confirmed that Calvin had tests on the knee Monday, but didn't give the results. Still, it's concerning that Johnson went down in the first quarter and tried to return, but couldn't. His status is very questionable for Week 6 against the Packers. The Lions have a bye the following week.

Source: NFL.com

ESPN Reporting:

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz says he will not take an upcoming bye into consideration when deciding if quarterback Matthew Stafford and receiver Calvin Johnson will play at Green Bay.

Schwartz said Monday "we're trying to win" when asked if he might rest Stafford and Johnson against the Packers because Detroit is off the following week.

Stafford did not play in Sunday's loss against the Pittsburgh Steelers after injuring his right knee the previous week.

Johnson started the game but did not finish because he hurt his right knee. Schwartz says the injury is not significant.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?i...e=ESPNHeadlines

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they rest him this coming week before the bye.

No way he plays, that is just uber coach speak. He is not going to risk his two most important players for a wasted season.

No way he plays, that is just uber coach speak. He is not going to risk his two most important players for a wasted season.
As much as I need Calvin next week. I agree, they'd be moronic to play either, considering Dante played pretty well.

All points to Megatron back week 8. NO chance he plays week 6 unless it really wasn't anything and just got a little bruised -- if so that says alot of Calvins toughness or lack therefo.

All points to Megatron back week 8. NO chance he plays week 6 unless it really wasn't anything and just got a little bruised -- if so that says alot of Calvins toughness or lack therefo.
I agree, and I must say I'm starting to get a nagging feeling about CJ's long-term health prospects. Seems like he's always nicked up. It seems like it's something every game. He plays through it most of the time, but I seem to remember a handful of games like this already, where he gets nicked up early in a game and either sits out the rest of the way or is completely ineffective.

I agree, and I must say I'm starting to get a nagging feeling about CJ's long-term health prospects. Seems like he's always nicked up. It seems like it's something every game. He plays through it most of the time, but I seem to remember a handful of games like this already, where he gets nicked up early in a game and either sits out the rest of the way or is completely ineffective.
I don't remember this at all. Granted it seems he's been nicked up a bit two weeks in a row, and had the back injury his rookie season, but I don't recall nagging injuries last season that he had to leave games for.

He's had several bad breaks with bad calls/penalties so far this season and now this. Frustrating year so far for Calvin and his owners.

I don't remember this at all.
What he said, only in a manly voice.

back in the day, before the had "ACL" and "MCL" this was considered a sprain, he could play next week.

I actually know a guy who played college ball before Joe Pa was coaching PSU, and he never heard of a ACL when he played.

Listening to Schwartz presser right now:

We'll know more after we get the tests back, but my code word is 'not significant'
Whatever that means!?!?!
Link
Detroit Lions head coach Jim Schwartz won't talk about injuries in detail, but he does have one code word that he uses to distinguish between minor and major injuries. Lions fans got the good word today when Schwartz described the knee injury to receiver Calvin Johnson.

"I wouldn't label it as significant right now,'' Schwartz said.

Johnson will try to play in Sunday's game against the Green Bay Packers but, if he can't, he should be 100 percent healthy after the bye week.

The news wasn't so good concerning another injury.

"We're dealing with a significant shoulder injury to Eric King,'' Schwartz said. Kalvin Pearson is expected to replace King as the nickel back in the short term, but the Lions could make some changes during the bye week.

I think he should play vs GB simply b/c it opens things up for Kevin Smith. I think the GB game is quite winnable for this team with Daunte, Calvin, and Smith all in there.

Hey BobbyLayne, would you be able to give a recap once they finish and when you have the time? I heard on another MB from someone listening to the presser that he woke up with no swelling and only minor pain. That could be good news if that's the case. I expect to be without him this upcoming week, but if he's well enough to come back after the bye then I couldn't ask for much more.
ETA: Sorry S&W. forgot to address your comment...yeah, Calvin said he had no swelling or pain, little soreness...also Schwartz said that during the game they tried a wrap, and then they tried a brace...Johnson couldn't get comfortable wearing either one, so they didn't push it.I'm not fluent in Schwatzese - he made a joke during the presser, kidding a local beat guy about using one of his terms: 'coming over to my side now, eh?' - but he said it wasn't significant. Later on he said nickel back Eric King's shoulder is 'significant'.King's arm is in a sling, and he may miss several weeks. :lmao: I'm not sure I agree with folks who have suggested that if the out 4-6 weeks false rumor were true, they should shut him down. Or skip playing next week because they have a bye coming up. I don't think that is how competitive athletes approache their profession. You may view 2009 as a lost season, and you may be correct. I guarantee you Jim Schwartz has not adopted that line of reasoning. Maybe I am less cynical or overly optimistic than some of you, but I think you keep putting your team in a position to win games, regardless of what the record is or what is coming the week after next.Someone implied Calvin might be soft. Thats not the sense I get from reading local guys or what his teammates have said about him for the last 3 years. That was a brutal hip bruise in his rookie season that caused the back injury; I've heard several say that would have sideline most guys. I get the sense he has a pretty high pain threshhold, though that is a purely subjective characteristic.To illustrate...Tory Holt plays with knee pain every week - and he has for something like 4, maybe 5 seasons. He just manages it, he plays through it. Some guys can do it, other guys can't. From the way he managed the pain tolerance in his rookie year, I suspect he will be out there next week or week 8 unless the medical personnel refuse to clear him.

ETA: Sorry S&W. forgot to address your comment...yeah, Calvin said he had no swelling or pain, little soreness...also Schwartz said that during the game they tried a wrap, and then they tried a brace...Johnson couldn't get comfortable wearing either one, so they didn't push it.I'm not fluent in Schwatzese - he made a joke during the presser, kidding a local beat guy about using one of his terms: 'coming over to my side now, eh?' - but he said it wasn't significant. Later on he said nickel back Eric King's shoulder is 'significant'.King's arm is in a sling, and he may miss several weeks. :yes: I'm not sure I agree with folks who have suggested that if the out 4-6 weeks false rumor were true, they should shut him down. Or skip playing next week because they have a bye coming up. I don't think that is how competitive athletes approache their profession. You may view 2009 as a lost season, and you may be correct. I guarantee you Jim Schwartz has not adopted that line of reasoning. Maybe I am less cynical or overly optimistic than some of you, but I think you keep putting your team in a position to win games, regardless of what the record is or what is coming the week after next.Someone implied Calvin might be soft. Thats not the sense I get from reading local guys or what his teammates have said about him for the last 3 years. That was a brutal hip bruise in his rookie season that caused the back injury; I've heard several say that would have sideline most guys. I get the sense he has a pretty high pain threshhold, though that is a purely subjective characteristic.To illustrate...Tory Holt plays with knee pain every week - and he has for something like 4, maybe 5 seasons. He just manages it, he plays through it. Some guys can do it, other guys can't. From the way he managed the pain tolerance in his rookie year, I suspect he will be out there next week or week 8 unless the medical personnel refuse to clear him.
:thumbdown: Thanks for the follow up!

ETA: Sorry S&W. forgot to address your comment...yeah, Calvin said he had no swelling or pain, little soreness...also Schwartz said that during the game they tried a wrap, and then they tried a brace...Johnson couldn't get comfortable wearing either one, so they didn't push it.I'm not fluent in Schwatzese - he made a joke during the presser, kidding a local beat guy about using one of his terms: 'coming over to my side now, eh?' - but he said it wasn't significant. Later on he said nickel back Eric King's shoulder is 'significant'.King's arm is in a sling, and he may miss several weeks. :goodposting: I'm not sure I agree with folks who have suggested that if the out 4-6 weeks false rumor were true, they should shut him down. Or skip playing next week because they have a bye coming up. I don't think that is how competitive athletes approache their profession. You may view 2009 as a lost season, and you may be correct. I guarantee you Jim Schwartz has not adopted that line of reasoning. Maybe I am less cynical or overly optimistic than some of you, but I think you keep putting your team in a position to win games, regardless of what the record is or what is coming the week after next.Someone implied Calvin might be soft. Thats not the sense I get from reading local guys or what his teammates have said about him for the last 3 years. That was a brutal hip bruise in his rookie season that caused the back injury; I've heard several say that would have sideline most guys. I get the sense he has a pretty high pain threshhold, though that is a purely subjective characteristic.To illustrate...Tory Holt plays with knee pain every week - and he has for something like 4, maybe 5 seasons. He just manages it, he plays through it. Some guys can do it, other guys can't. From the way he managed the pain tolerance in his rookie year, I suspect he will be out there next week or week 8 unless the medical personnel refuse to clear him.
:goodposting:

Last night Calvin was on a local radio show (after Schwartz was) on 97.1 the ticket. I missed most of Schwartz comments, except that he said they would have a hard time practicing this week because the Lions have so many injuries... both people who will miss a few weeks and people who will miss practice but play in GB.

Calvin got on and was laughing and joking around--seemed in really high spirits... said that he'll be with the trainer every day non stop and his goal is to play in GB. He said that he was hurt on his first reception vs PIT.. that he tried to keep going but 'it' tightened up, so he came off and they wrapped it and put on a brace and he went back out but it continued to tighten up.. so he came out to avoid doing more damage because it just wouldn't loosen up on him... and you don't want to push it in that situation because then you might cause something serious [implying this is not] and miss significant time [implying he will not].

So Calvin echo'd what Bobby Lane is saying above (he didn't mention anything about swelling etc... the host of the show said "I know you guys are playing injuries close to the vest" and Calvin laughed and said "yeah we are".. which is why I think he said "it" instead of his knee... not even saying what was hurt).

Last night Calvin was on a local radio show (after Schwartz was) on 97.1 the ticket. I missed most of Schwartz comments, except that he said they would have a hard time practicing this week because the Lions have so many injuries... both people who will miss a few weeks and people who will miss practice but play in GB.Calvin got on and was laughing and joking around--seemed in really high spirits... said that he'll be with the trainer every day non stop and his goal is to play in GB. He said that he was hurt on his first reception vs PIT.. that he tried to keep going but 'it' tightened up, so he came off and they wrapped it and put on a brace and he went back out but it continued to tighten up.. so he came out to avoid doing more damage because it just wouldn't loosen up on him... and you don't want to push it in that situation because then you might cause something serious [implying this is not] and miss significant time [implying he will not].So Calvin echo'd what Bobby Lane is saying above (he didn't mention anything about swelling etc... the host of the show said "I know you guys are playing injuries close to the vest" and Calvin laughed and said "yeah we are".. which is why I think he said "it" instead of his knee... not even saying what was hurt).
Another :goodposting: :thumbup: This is why I love FBG's!

So I am guessing this "close to the vest" approach will mean they will not release the MRI test results this week? Or does Schwartz press conference comments indicate the tests came back negative?

I actually hope the dont let him play the GB game, Let him rest up for our fantasy playoff run!
without him .. there might not be a playoff run for me in my #1 league :mellow:
***12 TEAM DYNASTY- PPR***QB - T.Romo, Cassell, Flacco, S. Hill

RB - S.Jackson, L. Johnson, T. Jones , L. Washington, K. Faulk, C. Buckhalter, L. Betts

WR - T. Owens, A. Johnson, R. Moss , C. Henry, R. White , D.Avery , A. Miles, P. Caryton, M. Jones

TE - K. Winslow, A. Fasano

K - N. Folk

D - Dallas Cowboys

Wheres Calvin?

U love the cowboys I see, maybe thats the real reason u wont make it! 5 current Cowboys and 2 former!

(BTW I know Fasano and Owens are not there, but I'm sure your Cowboy love is why there on your team!)

So I am guessing this "close to the vest" approach will mean they will not release the MRI test results this week? Or does Schwartz press conference comments indicate the tests came back negative?
I believe Shwartz said that they'll get the results back on Wednesday. Whether or not they relay that info to the public is another thing.

Users who are viewing this thread