What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Calvin v. Revis this week (1 Viewer)

Premier

Footballguy
Not fantasy related :nerd: but this is one of the more fascinating individual matchups I recall seeing recently. Calvin is obviously amazing but Revis has been phenomenal the past month and looks to be back to 100%.

The Bucs are awful so you probably haven't seen him play much, but he's been a glimmer for those of us forced to watch this fiasco of a season.

I don't think Revis shuts him out or anything but I can't wait to see if he slows him down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will Revis follow him all over the field, or is that something they haven't been doing?

I actually give Revis a decent chance of doing well in this matchup (which might mean something like 4-75-1), because in the midst of the best streak in his career Deangelo Hall did a really good job on Calvin (he didn't cover him the whole game), and Revis is way better than Hall.

Calvin is going to eat his lunch. :yes:

ETA: I'm speaking one on one.

Unless Revis grows a few inches he's going to have some serious problems. This is the same dude who beats triple-coverage.

Only reason revis won't keep him under 69 tds is because revis is not 100%. But if he is still able to shutdown megatron I won't be shocked at all

Revis' nickname will be StarScream on Sunday because Calvin will make him his whiny beeyotch

What happens when the best ant meets the best shoe? Calvin is going to squash him.
Like this time?
I was just going to post this because I remember watching that game and match-up in particular. I expect better results (ha, can't be worse than 1 for 13 yards) because Revis isn't in the same physical shape and Calvin has improved a bit since then, but I still would not expect a great game.

Like Cutler with Brandon Marshall, Stafford has been throwing to CJ when he's well-covered much more this year than previously. I don't recall the game, but I'll bet if you look back on the last matchup that he didn't have many targets. There is always a window there and CJ has given him the confidence to throw those passes. I expect plenty of targets, Revis or no Revis.

Ike Taylor was going to shut him down too. He'd done so well against AJ Green you know. Calvin isn't like any other player. He's truly unstoppable when healthy.

I bought him in FanDuel, so by default i am of the opinion that Calvin is going to make Revis look like he belongs back on an NCAA field

12 grabs, 112 yards and a TD

There was a stretch in 2010, the entire season, that Revis shut down every single WR1 he faced, some of whom were in the prime of their careers.

AJ Green
Moss (2x)
Colston
TO (2x)
MSW
Steve Smith
Dez Bryant
Roddy White
Reggie Wayne
85 (2x including playoff game)

If he's healthy, Revis can limit CJ. Not sure if he is, though.

There was a stretch in 2010, the entire season, that Revis shut down every single WR1 he faced, some of whom were in the prime of their careers.

AJ Green

Moss (2x)

Colston

TO (2x)

MSW

Steve Smith

Dez Bryant

Roddy White

Reggie Wayne

He was a great a corner, he might still be I haven't watched him much this year. You are giving him too much credit though and your facts are off or you combined 2010 and 2011 because some of these guys weren't around in 2010.

A.J. Green - wasn't in the league yet

Randy Moss - A good receiver but not in his prime, and not even on the team when the Patriots won 45 - 3

Colston - they didn't play the Saints that year

T.O. - was a Bill in 2009 and they only played the Bengals 1 time in 2010

MSW - I have no idea who this is

Dez - They didn't play the Cowboys that year and if they did Dez was a rookie and injured

Steve Smith - They didn't play Carolina

Roddy White - They didn't play Atlanta

Green - was a rookie

Moss - wasn't a Patriot or even in the league if I remember correctly

85 - wasn't in his prime he was barely playing with the Patriots

T.O. - was out of the league

Does TB even let Revis play man-to-man these days? I thought I remembered his beef early in the season was that they were playing zone all of the time. If this has changed, I am unaware since I don't pay a lot of attention to the Bucs.

Does TB even let Revis play man-to-man these days? I thought I remembered his beef early in the season was that they were playing zone all of the time. If this has changed, I am unaware since I don't pay a lot of attention to the Bucs.
Since the Seattle game he has been primarily M2M.

Teams aren't even throwing to his side. It's hysterical.

AJ Green

Moss (2x)

Colston

TO (2x)

MSW

Steve Smith

Dez Bryant

Roddy White

Reggie Wayne

He was a great a corner, he might still be I haven't watched him much this year. You are giving him too much credit though and your facts are off or you combined 2010 and 2011 because some of these guys weren't around in 2010.

Randy Moss - A good receiver but not in his prime, and not even on the team when the Patriots won 45 - 3

Dez - They didn't play the Cowboys that year and if they did Dez was a rookie and injured

Green - was a rookie

2009, my mistake, I was all off, and misremembered names and all; just turned 31, I am losing it

And it was:

AJ - Andre Johnson

Moss - went for 83-1200-13, prime or not, good year

Colston - went for 70-1000-9

TO - not a great year but great career

MSW - Mike Sims Walker - had a great stretch and was considered a break out start by a lot of us here

Antonio Bryant - got that big contract and then stunk

Roddy White- speaks for itself; 80-1100-11

Wayne - HoF?

85 twice - 72-1000-9 that year

So, I'm an idiot, assumed it was 2010 and then just put in the names. But in 2009 he was dominant and shut those guys down. Is he at that level? Prob not, but he's no slouch.

AJ Green

Moss (2x)

Colston

TO (2x)

MSW

Steve Smith

Dez Bryant

Roddy White

Reggie Wayne

Green - was a rookie

2009, my mistake, I was all off, and misremembered names and all; just turned 31, I am losing it

And it was:

AJ - Andre Johnson

Moss - went for 83-1200-13, prime or not, good year

Colston - went for 70-1000-9

TO - not a great year but great career

MSW - Mike Sims Walker - had a great stretch and was considered a break out start by a lot of us here

Antonio Bryant - got that big contract and then stunk

Roddy White- speaks for itself; 80-1100-11

Wayne - HoF?

85 twice - 72-1000-9 that year

So, I'm an idiot, assumed it was 2010 and then just put in the names. But in 2009 he was dominant and shut those guys down. Is he at that level? Prob not, but he's no slouch.
Thanks for clearing that up, I was so confused.

Edit: 31 is not old because I am older then 31 and refuse to call myself old!

LOL at 2009. It's 2013. In football years that's a lifetime.
He was as good before he got injured. That's not a lifetime ago. And it's certainly relevant especially when determining whether he is or isn't healthy. He will get back to that level, it's just a matter of when.

He had and ankle issue that was limiting his mobility. The zone coverage was meant to help cover for Revis' injury. Credit Schiano for taking the heat from the press (and Shark Pool) and not letting out the true reason for the zone play.

He's getting back to form now though (reportedly).

Should be a great match-up. I'm sure CJ gets his, but I would be surprised if it's anything close to the crazy numbers he's had over the last month or so.

I believe Revis Island may still exist.

I remember the first game of the season in 2011 when Aquib was on Calvin. Aquib actually rated out pretty well as a CB holding Calvin to 6/88/2TDs. I don't remember both of the TD's but one of them was a jump ball in the back of the endzone that Calvin just was more physical and grabbed from Talib. Aquib is probably a top 3 CB in the league and one of the best vs larger WRs, and he still couldn't compete with Calvin on the jump balls. I expect to see a similar stat line with Revis. Calvin may not rack up a ton of catches and yards, but likely finds the end zone at lease once.

There is zero chance that they leave Revis on his island this week. What are they going to do? Double up Burleson and Pettigrew? The only question is do they put two or three on him?

So many IDIOTS on these forums. Calvin 1on1 would destroy Revis. Revis will be helped all game. Calvin is a freak no Corner in the history if the NFL could cover Megatron 1 on 1. Better get a safety over top of him. Lets pretend revis is as fast as Calvin then lets pretend he runs his route for him even with all of that Calvin would jump over him in perfect coverage.

So many IDIOTS on these forums. Calvin 1on1 would destroy Revis. Revis will be helped all game. Calvin is a freak no Corner in the history if the NFL could cover Megatron 1 on 1. Better get a safety over top of him. Lets pretend revis is as fast as Calvin then lets pretend he runs his route for him even with all of that Calvin would jump over him in perfect coverage.
Lol

Revis held him to one catch in single coverage a few years ago, SuperFan.

BTW, I should be clear. I could not respect Calvin any more. Total stud; one of the greatest few WRs to ever play. But to totally dismiss Revis as if it's a given that Calvin will just steamroll him is silly.

BTW, I should be clear. I could not respect Calvin any more. Total stud; one of the greatest few WRs to ever play. But to totally dismiss Revis as if it's a given that Calvin will just steamroll him is silly.
This. Not sure Revis is healthy, tho.

Revis' technique makes up for his size, which isn't small, and speed, which isn't terrible. To say he can't keep up with him is ridiculous. He already has.

Feel free to LEAVE at any time.

Ike Taylor was going to shut him down too.
According to whom?

Haden and a healthy Revis are the only corners you need to fear these days.
Right.

Problem with Ike Taylor is that he can't catch to save his life... so QB's have no fear throwing his way. He may break up the pass, but the possibility of a pic-6 is extremely low so Ike still sees a lot of action, despite being a pretty good CB.

Haden and Revis will catch it, and score with it. Deion had the same effect.

AJ Green

Moss (2x)

Colston

TO (2x)

MSW

Steve Smith

Dez Bryant

Roddy White

Reggie Wayne

Three years and how many injuries ago?

Ike Taylor was going to shut him down too.
According to whom?

Haden and a healthy Revis are the only corners you need to fear these days.
Revis isn't healthy. Jordy Nelson schooled Haden on that touchdown. To be clear they are good but they are not Decepticons.
"Schooled" is hyperbole. It was (literally) a 1-yard slant. Congratulations?

Nice work leaving out the part where Nelson had a huge 5 for 42 day.

Users who are viewing this thread