What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cam Newton (1 Viewer)

RenegadeGM

Footballguy
Aditi Kinkhabwala @AKinkhabwala 3m

Panthers TE Greg Olsen has been out here catching passes for at least 20 minutes. Cam Newton is not yet in the building.

... probably sitting at his laptop debating whether or not to plug Ponder in over himself in his 12 team big $$$$ league :popcorn:

This comes on the heels of...

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on Sunday Countdown that the Panthers are "privately concerned" about the mental makeup of Cam Newton.Per Mort, Newton has worked with a "mind coach" to better manage the pressure of performing through raised expectations and adversity. NFL Network's Kurt Warner similarly mentioned that Newton's mental state hasn't caught up to the physical side yet. "You gotta start playing the game mentally instead of physically," Warner said. "And that's where Cam is lacking right now."
and
Steve Smith lit into Cam Newton with "unchoice words" after Newton sulked on the end of the bench following Thursday night's blowout loss to the Giants.OLs Jordan Gross and Ryan Kalil also had to pull Newton aside last year for failing to add "positive energy" to the huddle. "I watched (Derek Anderson) and Jimmy (Clausen), they don't play in 20-something games last year. And they get up and they observe and learn and get those mental reps," Smith said. "I told (Newton), 'You can get some mental reps or you can sit on that bench and sulk.'" With six turnovers through three games, Newton is making the sophomore slump concerns a reality so far. We still fully expect him to rebound. The Panthers head to Atlanta in Week 4.
I fully expect Newton to be fine... and he's much more talented than Vince Young... but it does make you wonder.

I fully expect Newton to be fine... and he's much more talented than Vince Young... but it does make you wonder.
This stuff does remind me Vince Young, and that is worrisome. As a Titans fan, I never like Vince at all and I was glad to see him go. But I do like Cam, and I hope he holds it together. He needs to learn how to not let adversity affect him and come back strong the next game, or even the next play.

He is more talented than Vince Young but you play like practice. His first year was great but I am starting to wonder about him.

This comes on the heels of...

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on Sunday Countdown that the Panthers are "privately concerned" about the mental makeup of Cam Newton.

Per Mort, Newton has worked with a "mind coach" to better manage the pressure of performing through raised expectations and adversity. NFL Network's Kurt Warner similarly mentioned that Newton's mental state hasn't caught up to the physical side yet. "You gotta start playing the game mentally instead of physically," Warner said. "And that's where Cam is lacking right now."
and
Steve Smith lit into Cam Newton with "unchoice words" after Newton sulked on the end of the bench following Thursday night's blowout loss to the Giants.

OLs Jordan Gross and Ryan Kalil also had to pull Newton aside last year for failing to add "positive energy" to the huddle. "I watched (Derek Anderson) and Jimmy (Clausen), they don't play in 20-something games last year. And they get up and they observe and learn and get those mental reps," Smith said. "I told (Newton), 'You can get some mental reps or you can sit on that bench and sulk.'" With six turnovers through three games, Newton is making the sophomore slump concerns a reality so far. We still fully expect him to rebound. The Panthers head to Atlanta in Week 4.
He will be fine on a game to game basis. If they are up and winning he'll be ok. Unfortunately for him this is the NFL and you don't win every game.

Aditi Kinkhabwala @AKinkhabwala 3mPanthers TE Greg Olsen has been out here catching passes for at least 20 minutes. Cam Newton is not yet in the building.
Shows that Olsen has a great work ethic...also says something about Newton and Newton as a leader.
It says nothing about Cam as a leader, because you have no idea why he is not warming up yet.
There's a BIG difference between "not warming up yet" and "not yet in the building". If you're a QB coming off a horrible game where you're questioned by the entire football world and your own teammates, your ### better be amongst the first arrivals the next game (and always). No excuse for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aditi Kinkhabwala ‏@AKinkhabwalaCam Newton just walked onto the field here in ATL. He did 1 push-up and now he's on the ground, stretching, bopping to what's in headphones
question this chicks interpretation of building, did she mean field? anyways hes there.

Aditi Kinkhabwala ‏@AKinkhabwalaCam Newton just walked onto the field here in ATL. He did 1 push-up and now he's on the ground, stretching, bopping to what's in headphones
question this chicks interpretation of building, did she mean field? anyways hes there.
One push up? :mellow: I wonder if Cam knows what Steve Smith can be like when he is angry. I would not want to piss that guy off.

Aditi Kinkhabwala @AKinkhabwala 3mPanthers TE Greg Olsen has been out here catching passes for at least 20 minutes. Cam Newton is not yet in the building.
Shows that Olsen has a great work ethic...also says something about Newton and Newton as a leader.
It says nothing about Cam as a leader, because you have no idea why he is not warming up yet.
There's a BIG difference between "not warming up yet" and "not yet in the building". If you're a QB coming off a horrible game where you're questioned by the entire football world and your own teammates, your ### better be amongst the first arrivals the next game (and always). No excuse for that.
He was in the building. The team arrived together.

we will see how he plays today - the rookie shine is off - he has more pressure this year - for a guy that has been coddled most of lhis life, he is encountering new territory. We will see how he handles it.

I think Cam gets his mojo back today. He doesn't seem like the kind of mental midget that reacts poorly to criticism. A lot of doubters and naysayers last year looked really foolish questioning this kids abilities. I think he rises to the challenge today-250/3 + 50/1. 1 int to Asante.

I think Cam gets his mojo back today. He doesn't seem like the kind of mental midget that reacts poorly to criticism. A lot of doubters and naysayers last year looked really foolish questioning this kids abilities. I think he rises to the challenge today-250/3 + 50/1. 1 int to Asante.
:coffee:

Panthers deserve to lose for not trusting the best short-yardage QB in the league to effectively end the game on 4th and 1. Terrible decision, no balls.

Panthers deserve to lose for not trusting the best short-yardage QB in the league to effectively end the game on 4th and 1. Terrible decision, no balls.
How about the defense letting Ryan complete a 50 yard plus ball.The defense lost the game. They did not stop Atlanta on that last drive.Bad defense there.Players lose games 99% of the time. Not coaching. Yeah ciaches can make some bad decisions.....but the players must execute to win.

Users who are viewing this thread