What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can Eli take the next step toward elite territory? (1 Viewer)

bucsbaby

Footballguy
Eli has been a steady low-end QB1, but hasn't shown the upside to reach the upper tier -- can he do it this year?

He has a respectable supporting cast: Cruz, Nicks, Randle, Myers, Wilson, Brown

With an ADP around the 9th round, I've been thinking he could be one of those "value QBs" to target later on.

He's 32 turning 33 this season, so he's entering into the later years of his career -- not much more room to develop. Seems like now or never time if he's going to put up bigger numbers.

I haven't seen much of anything about Eli in the pool lately, so I thought I'd start this thread to generate some discussion on him.

Nah.

I agree with whoever those people are who say he's a first ballot HOF, but I don't think he's taking any big leaps forward fantasy-wise.

Coughlin is entrenched, and he's got enough old-school mentality that he's always going to keep the offense balanced to a degree that won't allow Eli top-of-class passing numbers. And Eli isn't about to turn into the sort of running threat that keeps less prolific passers in the running for fantasy elite.

He's a great QB in a system a little too conservative to ever allow a stat explosion, and neither he nor the architect of the system are going anywhere.

That's ok. Like Roethlisberger, I imagine he'll take his trophies, accolades, ticker tape parades and hometown adoration over fantasy relevance every time.

You nailed it - he's a low end QB1 you can get late. That's all he'll ever be. Ideally, he's your 1a or #2 guy.

But he's won two superbowls, and made the throws in them as well. He's an elite NFL qb that just about any other team would be thrilled to have.

Eli is who he is at this point.
Exactly what I came to write. If there is a player who had been merely solid for 9 years before turning into a fantasy superstar, I can't think of who it might be. Eli has one season on his résumé (2011) that you would consider very special.

thanks everyone for getting the discussion going. I agree with the general sentiment, which is why I typically avoid him unless it is as a 1B or backup. Just wondering if this could be a year to deviate from that.

Nah.

I agree with whoever those people are who say he's a first ballot HOF, but I don't think he's taking any big leaps forward fantasy-wise.

Coughlin is entrenched, and he's got enough old-school mentality that he's always going to keep the offense balanced to a degree that won't allow Eli top-of-class passing numbers. And Eli isn't about to turn into the sort of running threat that keeps less prolific passers in the running for fantasy elite.

He's a great QB in a system a little too conservative to ever allow a stat explosion, and neither he nor the architect of the system are going anywhere.

That's ok. Like Roethlisberger, I imagine he'll take his trophies, accolades, ticker tape parades and hometown adoration over fantasy relevance every time.
Eli Manning nearly threw for 5,000 yards two years ago.

Agreed on Eli. He will never e elite with his stats. But he is a great qb in a more conservative offense that wins titles. Not a great recipe or fantasy but great recipe for real life nfl

If I got one of the lower end running QBs in that top 12 (Wilson, Kaep, Griffin) I would love to get Eli just in case of injury or whatnot. I would hate to have him going into the season as my guy though.

Nah.

Eli Manning nearly threw for 5,000 yards two years ago.
Which, in a year of restrict-the-db's was good for what, 6th? 7th depending on scoring system? 4th in yardage and 15 or more TD's off the pace? With no rushing too?

Right. In a year when records are being shattered left and right, 4900/29 is really nice, but makes him exactly pretty good, but in too balanced an offense to contend for the top spots.

In 1998, Mo Vaughn of the Red Sox smashed 40 HR's and knocked in 115. Was that an offensive explosion? Or was it tempered by the fact that circumstances league wide were such that guys were swatting 70 and 160?

Point stands.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread