What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can we discuss pet peeves here? (6 Viewers)

It doesn't matter with boarding procedures. Back rows first or front rows first is not an issue when you start boarding
a 1/2 hour before the plane is scheduled to leave the gate. Once everyone is boarded the attendants do all their preflight
stuff and you still either sit there or wait on the runway to take off.

I'm sitting at the gate in a seat that is very wide and comfortable. I'm not in a hurry to get to the seat in the plane that is barely
big enough to accomodate the average person. I have an assigned seat. The plane is leaving at a set time whether you get done
boarding in 5 minutes or 15 minutes. I've boarded planes that are 1/3 full and you still sit until it's time to takeoff.

Chill out.

Yup. this is why I hate Southwest's boarding policy. Every other airline I can wait as long as possible to get on.

It doesn't matter with boarding procedures. Back rows first or front rows first is not an issue when you start boarding
a 1/2 hour before the plane is scheduled to leave the gate. Once everyone is boarded the attendants do all their preflight

I'm sitting at the gate in a seat that is very wide and comfortable. I'm not in a hurry to get to the seat in the plane that is barely
big enough to accomodate the average person. I have an assigned seat. The plane is leaving at a set time whether you get done
boarding in 5 minutes or 15 minutes. I've boarded planes that are 1/3 full and you still sit until it's time to takeoff.

Chill out.

Yup. this is why I hate Southwest's boarding policy. Every other airline I can wait as long as possible to get on.
I'm kind of the opposite if I'm at the airport too early for some reason. I can get the laptop out and work until takeoff for the longest uninterrupted amount possible by boarding ASAP, vs an awkard seat in terminal and then at some point needing to board.

Of course the ideal is to get out of the uber and walk all the way onto the plane without stopping. But sometimes traffic or a new airport makes that hard.

but there are times where some knucklehead in Row 20 will put his bag above Row 9 or 10 (just behind first class) for some reason.
I have never understood this concept. If everyone uses their allotted space above them there should be no issues for anyone. It's when people do this stupid crap that the whole system gets messed up.
It’s the knob that brings everything they own on board. Last flight I was on I saw a woman with 4 carry ons. Largest allowable roller bag with a small bag that won’t fit under the seat resting on top of said roller. A backpack that was also too big to go under the seat. And a medium sized purse. Ridiculous
Should be one overhead space alloyed per seat, period. But the gate workers also need to identify people with too many carry ons.

ETA what arrow said

but there are times where some knucklehead in Row 20 will put his bag above Row 9 or 10 (just behind first class) for some reason.
I have never understood this concept. If everyone uses their allotted space above them there should be no issues for anyone. It's when people do this stupid crap that the whole system gets messed up.
It’s the knob that brings everything they own on board. Last flight I was on I saw a woman with 4 carry ons. Largest allowable roller bag with a small bag that won’t fit under the seat resting on top of said roller. A backpack that was also too big to go under the seat. And a medium sized purse. Ridiculous
Should be one overhead space alloyed per seat, period. But the gate workers also need to identify people with too many carry ons.

ETA what arrow said
There aren't that many overhead bins on many planes though. There's been a big push with the "space bins" in the last 5 years or so, which now hold like 6/bin. But previously, each bin held 3-4 bags and was generally the space of 5-6 passenger seats.

Hopefully a problem that goes away with every new plane that replaces an old one, or with every airline that hates how it messes with scheduling enough to retrofit the new style space bins.

That said, first class seats are chock full of jerks not in the bulkhead who board right away and put two bags up. I shamelessly will pull a backpack out if I board without room for my bag (I'm boarding in group 1 usually so its insane when this happens) and just ask if this is someone's bag that can go below their feet so we don't hold up boarding. If nobody answers I give to flight attendant and say "ma'am, I think this bag was left by the previous passengers, just want to make sure it gets to lost and found" quite loudly. Which my flight attendant friends have advised me to do. Works like a charm.

Chill out.

I'm kind of the opposite if I'm at the airport too early for some reason. I can get the laptop out and work until takeoff for the longest uninterrupted amount possible by boarding ASAP, vs an awkard seat in terminal and then at some point needing to board.

Of course the ideal is to get out of the uber and walk all the way onto the plane without stopping. But sometimes traffic or a new airport makes that hard.
Boarding ASAP? The plane gets to the gate, workers clean it, the pilots do their thing, and then they board you. It's usually a 1/2 hour boarding process
ahead of when the plane is scheduled to leave. You must fly first class. "awkward seat" in the terminal. Where?
The gate has better seats then any regular seat in a plane.

You could be uninterrupted by boarding last.

ETA what arrow said
Then there's the ahole who takes the entire overhead with a guitar. I once had to gate check my carryon because Lucille is too delicate to check.

ETA what arrow said
Then there's the ahole who takes the entire overhead with a guitar. I once had to gate check my carryon because Lucille is too delicate to check.
Yeah, I’ve had the same experience. Weird exception to carry on size limits.

Although it took up no overhead space, the strangest thing I’ve ever seen carried on a plane was a fish. A live goldfish swimming in a plastic bag, in way more than 3.4 ounces of water. The guy brought it on a ruse, when he learned it was TSA compliant.

My propensity to impulse buy bulk items at Costco that end up tasting like a homeless guy’s bum.

I bought a 456-pack of ‘seaweed snacks’ and just added them to a lunch salad. I used chicken as the protein, but the entire salad tasted like the lowest grade mock-tuna: the kind that would make @Ministry of Pain go ham in a movies theater. It was pretty much unpalatable.

So, now I have a 455-pack of seaweed snacks that I absolutely loathe. Can’t even bring them into work and pawn them off on my co-workers because 1) Who reaches for seaweed snax when they get hungry 2) they are heinous, so even if somebody gets desperate enough to eat one, the smell and retching will warn everyone else not to eat them. Then there’ll be a 454-pack of seaweed snax sitting around taking up valuable real estate in the breakroom.

I hate throwing out food, but can’t in good conscience donate these vile sea vermin snax to any food shelters.
My kids love those seaweed snacks. Ship them my way :hophead:
Gimme ur address- I’ll send em
Please make this happen boys.
Oh it's on. I will post pics when the deal is completed
OK our favorite prosthetic delivered. I got some delicious pizza for pi day, yet my kids attacked the seaweed first. The smell is just fine.

So thanks @ProstheticRGK !!!!

Glad your kids enjoyed it! I hate throwing out food- my dad would’ve done spins like a Maytag washer in his grave.

How y’all can handle that smell is beyond me. And the taste.
My wife brought home seaweed snacks from Costco last week and I just started laughing. She said what’s so funny?
Me, these were discussed this week on Football Guys.

Her: rolls eyes and walks away

Maybe the key is to buy the Kim Nori brand from Costco. She makes mashubi with ours. There is little to no smell on the Kim Nori brand.
:lmao:

My kids destroyed those in a couple days. Didn't smell IMO, but I shall say no bad words about our friend @ProstheticRGK
I wonder if it's like cilantro. You know how to some people, cilantro tastes like soap? Maybe some people have the gene that makes these seaweed snacks smell/taste like a ho house at low tide. The Stuff that's wrapped around sushi rolls, I never ever had a problem with.
I get that soapy taste sensation from Belgian ales.

Chill out.

Boarding ASAP? The plane gets to the gate, workers clean it, the pilots do their thing, and then they board you. It's usually a 1/2 hour boarding process
ahead of when the plane is scheduled to leave. You must fly first class. "awkward seat" in the terminal. Where?

Yes, I fly first class 90%+ of the time. When you take like 100-150 flights a year even when you don't book first, you get upgraded most times. And every seat in the terminal is somewhat awkward, even economy seats have a tray to set your laptop on.

Yes, I board ASAP. That would mean as soon as they call group 1. Like I said, in an ideal world you're never waiting at the gate. I shouldn't be in the area until about 5 minutes before they start calling preboards at the earliest.

The board last comment leads me to assume you don't fly much, or don't have a carry on when you do. Boarding last almost always means no room for your bag. Thats an untenable situation - that half hour of sleep is pretty meaningful and adds up on the 3rd or 4th flight of the week.

ETA what arrow said
There aren't that many overhead bins on many planes though. There's been a big push with the "space bins" in the last 5 years or so, which now hold like 6/bin. But previously, each bin held 3-4 bags and was generally the space of 5-6 passenger seats.

Hopefully a problem that goes away with every new plane that replaces an old one, or with every airline that hates how it messes with scheduling enough to retrofit the new style space bins.

That said, first class seats are chock full of jerks not in the bulkhead who board right away and put two bags up. I shamelessly will pull a backpack out if I board without room for my bag (I'm boarding in group 1 usually so its insane when this happens) and just ask if this is someone's bag that can go below their feet so we don't hold up boarding. If nobody answers I give to flight attendant and say "ma'am, I think this bag was left by the previous passengers, just want to make sure it gets to lost and found" quite loudly. Which my flight attendant friends have advised me to do. Works like a charm.
On tonights flight I asked the attendant and she said she thought it was around 60% bag to passenger ratio space-wise. Airbus A320 I think. Kinda old plane.

ETA what arrow said

What if that backpack is the only thing someone else brought on, though? I mean, it would be cool of them to put it by their feet anyway, but if they don't need access I could see them preferring it up there so they have as much personal space as the person who brought only one bigger carry on gets.

ETA what arrow said

What if that backpack is the only thing someone else brought on, though? I mean, it would be cool of them to put it by their feet anyway, but if they don't need access I could see them preferring it up there so they have as much personal space as the person who brought only one bigger carry on gets.
No way. We live in a society. The appropriate thing to do is wait until boarding closes and then stick it up there if there is room.

ETA what arrow said

No way. We live in a society. The appropriate thing to do is wait until boarding closes and then stick it up there if there is room.
Honestly that's probably what I'd do, too. But I also wouldn't blame someone else for wanting their one bag up there, and definitely wouldn't want to publicly shame them for it. They shouldn't be punished for having a bag smaller than someone else's one bag. They're still taking up less room up in storage than others.
That said, I'm sure they're the exception anyway

ETA what arrow said

Nope, I bring gym bag style on the plane and will check a roller bag depending on how long I will be gone. I am 6'4" and don't care if you have to gate check your bag so mine is up top. Of course since I usually choose bulkhead that is my only choice. I shouldn't have to give up legroom for someone else. :shrug:

ETA what arrow said

Why should someone with one item wait for someone else with one item and defer to them? Every person technically has the same spacial "rights". Just because I use a backback as my carryon instead of one of those roller cases shouldn't prohibit me from using the overhead space.

ETA what arrow said

Why should someone with one item wait for someone else with one item and defer to them? Every person technically has the same spacial "rights". Just because I use a backback as my carryon instead of one of those roller cases shouldn't prohibit me from using the overhead space.
Guys, I don't make the "rules" and I'm also tall. You're talking about your "rights" - it's about common courtesy there are no "rights". Fact: there's not enough bin space for every person to put a bag on the vast majority of planes. If you have a bag that fits under the seat, put it under the seat. If you get to the end of boarding and there's space, go ahead and put it up above. You're being selfish if you force someone else to gate check a bag, which, also a decent percentage of the time, means you're delaying the flight. Because now the attendants have to put on the show of a thorough search, attempt to move people's bags around, give up, get the gate agent down, get the bag checked, etc.

It factually is selfish. Now, there's no literal rule. So you can do what you want. And you can decide you're fine with the chance of a delay, and you're fine inflicting someone else with a forced gate check (which, remember, may mean someone connecting loses access to something they may have wanted during connection, or if they miss connection (likelier now that you've delayed the plane) now they may not have their bag for the night at the connecting airport.

If it fits under the seat, it should be there by default. You aren't required, I think, to do so. It's just the right thing to do.

My specific scenario - nobody in first class in all my flights has ever put just a backpack up there. It has 100% of the time (and mind you this only happens to me on like 1/10 flights, probably happens to someone in the cabin on like 3/10) been a second bag.

Also, fun tip: if you're that worried about your own legroom, I highly suggest the bulkhead, where now you are required to put BOTH bags in the overhead. Win win! Someone's stuff in those rows goes up, may as well be yours, AND the bulkhead tends to have more legroom.

Chill out.

Yes, I fly first class 90%+ of the time. When you take like 100-150 flights a year even when you don't book first, you get upgraded most times. And every seat in the terminal is somewhat awkward, even economy seats have a tray to set your laptop on.

Yes, I board ASAP. That would mean as soon as they call group 1. Like I said, in an ideal world you're never waiting at the gate. I shouldn't be in the area until about 5 minutes before they start calling preboards at the earliest.

The board last comment leads me to assume you don't fly much, or don't have a carry on when you do. Boarding last almost always means no room for your bag. Thats an untenable situation - that half hour of sleep is pretty meaningful and adds up on the 3rd or 4th flight of the week.
I fly once a year. My carry on goes under my seat. I get why you do it your way.

It factually is selfish. Now, there's no literal rule. So you can do what you want.
I would also say that not checking a larger bag when you know that space is limited because you don't want to go through baggage claim etc is also being selfish. Everyone knows space is limited so checking bags to save on space and then using a backpack for just your in flight needed items is less selfish than trying to pack all your stuff into as big of a bag as you possibly can that will still be considered a carryon. While also bringing a backpack etc.

Selfish goes both ways. In general I agree with you that no matter what you should be courteous and try and be flexible to accommodate as much as you can. My point is that starts at home before you pack realizing the space situation ahead of time. Most people don't start there.

I'd be fine being selfish and putting my backpack wherever I wanted. Everyday all you see are people being selfish. Only a very small percentage of people are considerate in every situation. It's ok to do what YOU need to do for yourself every now and then, especially with something like this. There are much greater things out there to worry about being considerate of others for. This isnt one of them.

It factually is selfish. Now, there's no literal rule. So you can do what you want.
I would also say that not checking a larger bag when you know that space is limited because you don't want to go through baggage claim etc is also being selfish. Everyone knows space is limited so checking bags to save on space and then using a backpack for just your in flight needed items is less selfish than trying to pack all your stuff into as big of a bag as you possibly can that will still be considered a carryon. While also bringing a backpack etc.

Selfish goes both ways. In general I agree with you that no matter what you should be courteous and try and be flexible to accommodate as much as you can. My point is that starts at home before you pack realizing the space situation ahead of time. Most people don't start there.
Well yeah but that's a totally different point now. I am in 100% agreement that you should try not to overpack lol.

Same reason that once I'm golfing, or we're doing Christmas or a wine trip or whatever and gonna check one thing, my wife and I consolidate everything we super care about having into just one carry on between us and check the rest. Especially with how on a major airline you can generally get bags on cheap/free (even if you take your extra carry on to gate and then volunteer to gate check to get around it), makes tons of sense.

For society to work, and when you think about what the right thing to do in situations like these, I like to think through "would this still exist if everyone did it that way?" If everyone put their under-seat-sized bag in the overhead, it would be chaos and carry-on just wouldn't work. So basically nobody should do that.

If everyone packed only what they needed and tried to be thoughtful of others, it totally would work. So everyone should probably do that.

I'd be fine being selfish and putting my backpack wherever I wanted. Everyday all you see are people being selfish. Only a very small percentage of people are considerate in every situation. It's ok to do what YOU need to do for yourself every now and then, especially with something like this. There are much greater things out there to worry about being considerate of others for. This isnt one of them.
I think that's a very sad way to view the world. I generally try to do what I hope others would and make the world better for my having been there. Helps me keep a nice and positive outlook on life.

ETA what arrow said

I have bad knees. I’m putting my bag up there regardless of size. I need to be able to sort of straighten my legs. And I have never seen someone take a bag out and shame someone over it. I can’t imagine that would ever end well. There’s no way I would sheepishly accept that. No. Way.

ETA what arrow said

Guys, I don't make the "rules" and I'm also tall. You're talking about your "rights" - it's about common courtesy there are no "rights". Fact: there's not enough bin space for every person to put a bag on the vast majority of planes. If you have a bag that fits under the seat, put it under the seat. If you get to the end of boarding and there's space, go ahead and put it up above. You're being selfish if you force someone else to gate check a bag, which, also a decent percentage of the time, means you're delaying the flight. Because now the attendants have to put on the show of a thorough search, attempt to move people's bags around, give up, get the gate agent down, get the bag checked, etc.

It factually is selfish. Now, there's no literal rule. So you can do what you want. And you can decide you're fine with the chance of a delay, and you're fine inflicting someone else with a forced gate check (which, remember, may mean someone connecting loses access to something they may have wanted during connection, or if they miss connection (likelier now that you've delayed the plane) now they may not have their bag for the night at the connecting airport.

If it fits under the seat, it should be there by default. You aren't required, I think, to do so. It's just the right thing to do.

My specific scenario - nobody in first class in all my flights has ever put just a backpack up there. It has 100% of the time (and mind you this only happens to me on like 1/10 flights, probably happens to someone in the cabin on like 3/10) been a second bag.

Also, fun tip: if you're that worried about your own legroom, I highly suggest the bulkhead, where now you are required to put BOTH bags in the overhead. Win win! Someone's stuff in those rows goes up, may as well be yours, AND the bulkhead tends to have more legroom.
I guess I see a continuum in selfish behavior, and putting your only bag up top when it could fit under the seat doesn't seem bad enough to deserve public shaming.

And what if the guy brought two backpacks? (I know that's uncommon, too, but I see it occasionally)
One counts as his carry on and the other is under his seat.

I realize I'm just making up hypothetical situations that are rare, but I guess I'm just reacting to the "lost and found" show you described. Seems potentially a bit uncool to me - enough of a chance that I wouldn't feel at all comfortable enough to do it.

Well yeah but that's a totally different point now. I am in 100% agreement that you should try not to overpack lol.

Same reason that once I'm golfing, or we're doing Christmas or a wine trip or whatever and gonna check one thing, my wife and I consolidate everything we super care about having into just one carry on between us and check the rest. Especially with how on a major airline you can generally get bags on cheap/free (even if you take your extra carry on to gate and then volunteer to gate check to get around it), makes tons of sense.

For society to work, and when you think about what the right thing to do in situations like these, I like to think through "would this still exist if everyone did it that way?" If everyone put their under-seat-sized bag in the overhead, it would be chaos and carry-on just wouldn't work. So basically nobody should do that.

If everyone packed only what they needed and tried to be thoughtful of others, it totally would work. So everyone should probably do that.
Unless that under-seat-sized bag was the only thing they carried on, in which case there would be plenty of room up top for all of them and everyone would have more space. So everyone should do that.
Silly, I know, but it's also a little unfair to lump the one person's action into a group that involves more than just that one bag.

ETA what arrow said

It is selfish to check a bag and take up less room in the overhead than the person who doesn't check a bag? Cannot disagree more with this. I paid the same (yes, all the prices are probably different) for my ticket and am not willing to inconvenience my self so someone else isn't. I have to give up the overheads if I have only 1 item...it isn't a "personal" item size, it is as long as your roller bag but not as wide...but you are free to put up a bigger item? You are being selfish by not checking your roller bag since that "might" cause a delay using the same logic. If someone absolutely can't be parted with something, they need to book longer connections or make sure it will fit under the seat so they aren't inconveniencing me. :wink:

This is one of those we will have to agree to disagree, since I doubt either will ever change their mind on this one.

I think that's a very sad way to view the world. I generally try to do what I hope others would and make the world better for my having been there. Helps me keep a nice and positive outlook on life.

I'm learning that you cant always bend over backwards in the name of courtesy. Sometimes you have to do what's right for you. There are much bigger things to be courteous about. I just think this isnt one of them. It's ok to be a little selfish sometimes.

ETA what arrow said

It is selfish to check a bag and take up less room in the overhead than the person who doesn't check a bag? Cannot disagree more with this. I paid the same (yes, all the prices are probably different) for my ticket and am not willing to inconvenience my self so someone else isn't. I have to give up the overheads if I have only 1 item...it isn't a "personal" item size, it is as long as your roller bag but not as wide...but you are free to put up a bigger item? You are being selfish by not checking your roller bag since that "might" cause a delay using the same logic. If someone absolutely can't be parted with something, they need to book longer connections or make sure it will fit under the seat so they aren't inconveniencing me. :wink:

This is one of those we will have to agree to disagree, since I doubt either will ever change their mind on this one.
Not at all what I’m saying. Sorry. Thought I explicitly indicated things that would fit under the seat in front of you. Think you’re arguing against a point I didn’t (intend to) make.

My point is that regardless of whether it’s your only bag, if it’s personal item sized it should go under the seat. You’re a jerk in 99% of cases if that’s not what you do.

And last thing I will say so we don't take up the topic...if there is any blame to be had it is on the airlines for monetizing the "normal" weight/size checked baggage. There was rarely any problems with space when there wasn't a charge for most checked bags and before all the consolidation when loads were not near what they are currently. It is the bottom line focus which causes this problem (pitch and seat size also, which also is a problem with leg room), so I don't really care if they are 5 minutes late pulling back from the gate and their on time metric is taking a hit.

ETA what arrow said

I have bad knees. I’m putting my bag up there regardless of size. I need to be able to sort of straighten my legs. And I have never seen someone take a bag out and shame someone over it. I can’t imagine that would ever end well. There’s no way I would sheepishly accept that. No. Way.
That’s fine. It’s selfish. I’m not judging the reason just calling it what it is.

ETA what arrow said

Not at all what I’m saying. Sorry. Thought I explicitly indicated things that would fit under the seat in front of you. Think you’re arguing against a point I didn’t (intend to) make.

My point is that regardless of whether it’s your only bag, if it’s personal item sized it should go under the seat. You’re a jerk in 99% of cases if that’s not what you do.
All good. It is soft sided and never stuffed so I could technically fit it underneath...if I wasn't in the bulkhead which is my preferred. 🤝

ETA what arrow said

What if travel with CPAP bag plus laptop/bookbag? Jerk if put CPAP above instead of two things under seat?

Or what if travel with DSLR camera bag and laptop/bookbag, and check luggage. Jerk if put one above?

Last edited:

ETA what arrow said

That’s fine. It’s selfish. I’m not judging the reason just calling it what it is.
So you Have you pulled someone’s bag out and attempted to shame someone? Like your flight attendant friends have told you to do? Or are you doing this in first class, where you can tell it’s some peasant’s bag from the back of the plane dur to how many 1st class passengers are on the plane? I just can’t fathom this behavior going over well. :lmao:

ETA what arrow said

So you Have you pulled someone’s bag out and attempted to shame someone? Like your flight attendant friends have told you to do? Or are you doing this in first class, where you can tell it’s some peasant’s bag from the back of the plane dur to how many 1st class passengers are on the plane? I just can’t fathom this behavior going over well. :lmao:
Probably 4 times last year I asked who’s backpack this is and if there was room under the seat if it was their second bag. Always with a super naive and positive tone like of course anyone who did that would do the right thing and put the pack under their seat.

All 4 times the person was grumbly but immediately knew they were in the wrong so didn’t reject anything. So with a bright smile I just said thank you so much, handed them their personal item sized piece, and put the carry on up there.

Probably 10 times I saw a flight attendant ask the same question to help a passenger in the same situation as me, and around half those the FA correctly said “if the bag is unclaimed, I’ll have to remove it to lost and found and to maintain security.” All of those times someone claimed it and put it under their seat where it belongs.

All of these instances are from first class cabin. I took 122 flights, 74 were booked FC, 41 were upgraded.

I’ve never attempted to shame anyone. If you find that shaming, I can only assume it’s because you know you did wrong.

ETA what arrow said

Probably 4 times last year I asked who’s backpack this is and if there was room under the seat if it was their second bag. Always with a super naive and positive tone like of course anyone who did that would do the right thing and put the pack under their seat.

All 4 times the person was grumbly but immediately knew they were in the wrong so didn’t reject anything. So with a bright smile I just said thank you so much, handed them their personal item sized piece, and put the carry on up there.

Probably 10 times I saw a flight attendant ask the same question to help a passenger in the same situation as me, and around half those the FA correctly said “if the bag is unclaimed, I’ll have to remove it to lost and found and to maintain security.” All of those times someone claimed it and put it under their seat where it belongs.

All of these instances are from first class cabin. I took 122 flights, 74 were booked FC, 41 were upgraded.

I’ve never attempted to shame anyone. If you find that shaming, I can only assume it’s because you know you did wrong.
It makes much more sense from the first class perspective. I thought you were back in row 25 trying to get Hilda to claim her 3rd bag. Carry on.

ETA what arrow said

It makes much more sense from the first class perspective. I thought you were back in row 25 trying to get Hilda to claim her 3rd bag. Carry on.
I've never had a problem in economy because when I am back there, it's always like me, a couple pilots, and a couple other frequent fliers. So tons of bin space lol.

ETA what arrow said

There isn't enough overhead space on most planes for 1 bag per seat. The overhead bins fit 3-4 bags but take up the space of almost two rows (6 seats). So naturally some of the bins fill up prior to the two rows under them filling up, and then the remaining passengers in those rows have to find somewhere else, which then makes those rows fill up even faster, so those passengers have to find somewhere else, and so on.

I don't think any of them are necessarily doing anything wrong. The alternative where people only put bags above their seat is that you have a bunch of areas where there are extra bags not in a bin because 5 or 6 of the passengers under that bin had bags, and other areas where there is open bin space because only 1 or 2 of the passengers under that bin had bags. And you can't just have everyone go find open bin space at that point after boarding is complete because the aisle is narrow and you'd have people trying to cross back and forth across each other. It would be total chaos.

ETA: Darn, I see I am late to this internet battle.

ETA what arrow said

I've never had a problem in economy because when I am back there, it's always like me, a couple pilots, and a couple other frequent fliers. So tons of bin space lol.
That’s weird. I’m always in the cheaper seats.

When I board, after first class VIPs, seems like there’s plenty of overhead space up front. Meanwhile, the unwashed masses have to fight for the scraps, including the block devoted to crew and safety equipment.

And as a backpack + personal item guy, I have no qualms putting my pack in the overhead. With effort, I probably could squeeze it under the seat, but then my personal item would be on my lap.

ETA what arrow said

When I board, after first class VIPs, seems like there’s plenty of overhead space up front. Meanwhile, the unwashed masses have to fight for the scraps, including the block devoted to crew and safety equipment.

And as a backpack + personal item guy, I have no qualms putting my pack in the overhead. With effort, I probably could squeeze it under the seat, but then my personal item would be on my lap.
Well yeah. As said above, backpack was simply shorthand for personal item. Since like 75% of personal items are backpacks or giant purses.

I know you're being funny, but I'd also say it's not like everyone in first is a VIP. Probably like a third at most. Seems like the majority are like me, just having to fly and absolutely massive amount - and if you've got customers who fly that much, probably makes sense to make their lives a bit easier.

ETA what arrow said

Well yeah. As said above, backpack was simply shorthand for personal item. Since like 75% of personal items are backpacks or giant purses.

I know you're being funny, but I'd also say it's not like everyone in first is a VIP. Probably like a third at most. Seems like the majority are like me, just having to fly and absolutely massive amount - and if you've got customers who fly that much, probably makes sense to make their lives a bit easier.
At least for me on United, I'm Group 2. But I tend to try and sit as close to the front as possible so I can run to my next flight or get to Hertz to get my car and start my day wherever I happen to be. That said, there are times where folks in Group 1 have already taken up a LOT of the overhead bin space in the first non-first class rows. I absolutely HATE having to go back a couple/few rows to find space. I sit in the window seat 99% of the time, so getting back to get my bag is next to impossible in that case.

Anyways, just a rant more than a peeve. The new, bigger bins have helped a bit.

My propensity to impulse buy bulk items at Costco that end up tasting like a homeless guy’s bum.

I bought a 456-pack of ‘seaweed snacks’ and just added them to a lunch salad. I used chicken as the protein, but the entire salad tasted like the lowest grade mock-tuna: the kind that would make @Ministry of Pain go ham in a movies theater. It was pretty much unpalatable.

So, now I have a 455-pack of seaweed snacks that I absolutely loathe. Can’t even bring them into work and pawn them off on my co-workers because 1) Who reaches for seaweed snax when they get hungry 2) they are heinous, so even if somebody gets desperate enough to eat one, the smell and retching will warn everyone else not to eat them. Then there’ll be a 454-pack of seaweed snax sitting around taking up valuable real estate in the breakroom.

I hate throwing out food, but can’t in good conscience donate these vile sea vermin snax to any food shelters.
My kids love those seaweed snacks. Ship them my way :hophead:
Gimme ur address- I’ll send em
Please make this happen boys.
Oh it's on. I will post pics when the deal is completed
OK our favorite prosthetic delivered. I got some delicious pizza for pi day, yet my kids attacked the seaweed first. The smell is just fine.

So thanks @ProstheticRGK !!!!

Glad your kids enjoyed it! I hate throwing out food- my dad would’ve done spins like a Maytag washer in his grave.

How y’all can handle that smell is beyond me. And the taste.
My wife brought home seaweed snacks from Costco last week and I just started laughing. She said what’s so funny?
Me, these were discussed this week on Football Guys.

Her: rolls eyes and walks away

Maybe the key is to buy the Kim Nori brand from Costco. She makes mashubi with ours. There is little to no smell on the Kim Nori brand.
:lmao:

My kids destroyed those in a couple days. Didn't smell IMO, but I shall say no bad words about our friend @ProstheticRGK
I wonder if it's like cilantro. You know how to some people, cilantro tastes like soap? Maybe some people have the gene that makes these seaweed snacks smell/taste like a ho house at low tide. The Stuff that's wrapped around sushi rolls, I never ever had a problem with.
I get that soapy taste sensation from Belgian ales.

Well, yeah....they use coriander in those and that's essentially cilantro.

Users who are viewing this thread