What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can we talk about the Utah social media restrictions without getting political? (1 Viewer)

BassNBrew

Footballguy
I’m out of the loop on current events as FBG posters were my source for checking out current events. Anyway, my partner told me that Utah just put into law some big restrictions on social media use for those under 18.

Is social media harming our kids? If so, can we put the genie back in the bottle?

Please keep this non political and focus on the positive and negatives of social media field teens.

I’m out of the loop on current events as FBG posters were my source for checking out current events. Anyway, my partner told me that Utah just put into law some big restrictions on social media use for those under 18.

Is social media harming our kids? If so, can we put the genie back in the bottle?

Please keep this non political and focus on the positive and negatives of social media field teens.

I do think there is some negative effects on everyone by social media, but I don't see how this law holds up once it is challenged in court.

Governments and their legal systems will be working on how to regulate/manage social media for the next decade...it's a complex issue that involves a lot more than just children.

SALT LAKE CITY — Utah became the first state to enact laws limiting how children can use social media after Republican Gov. Spencer Cox signed a pair of measures Thursday that require parental consent before kids can sign up for sites like TikTok and Instagram.

The two bills Cox signed into law also prohibit kids under 18 from using social media between the hours of 10:30 p.m. and 6:30 a.m., require age verification for anyone who wants to use social media in the state and seek to prevent tech companies from luring kids to their apps using addictive features.
Under 18.

I am very optimistic about this working, as I am sure we all remember how difficult it was to see R-rated movies when we were children.

Don’t se how this is workable. What are the verification components and what of parents of 15 and 16 year olds who are OK with their kids visiting social media sites because they trust them. I get the thought but again government overreach is usurping parental rights and responsibilities. My feeling is that any parent that would willingly give the verification notices it’s probably a parent that’s already got a hand in the usage of social media for the kids.

I don't know about legislation but parents need to do something. Teen mental health is a nightmare right now and kids social skills or social fitness is so bad right now. There’s direction we are getting in high school to try to use class time to encourage kids to talk with each other. That’s so weird to imagine but I hear from parents all the time, “my kid doesn’t have any friends, can you help them make friends?”

Last edited:
I think social media is a plague on humanity.

Government overreach isn't the answer.
Parental involvement....know what ur kids are doing, and don't allow them to have social media accounts before they can handle it.....parents who are friends with their kids and not truly parenting are the problem......that, and kids SHOULD NOT be allowed to have their phones at school, period.

Parental involvement....know what ur kids are doing, and don't allow them to have social media accounts before they can handle it.....parents who are friends with their kids and not truly parenting are the problem......that, and kids SHOULD NOT be allowed to have their phones at school, period.
I mean they all have ipads or whatever. A lot of districts have gone no phone or bagged phones around here. It supposedly hasn't done much.

I dint know about legislation but parents need to do something. Teen mental health is a nightmare right now and kids social skills or social fitness is so bad right now. There’s direction we are getting in high school to try to use class time to encourage kids to talk with each other. That’s so weird to imagine but I hear from parents all the time, “my kid doesn’t have any friends, can you help them make friends?”
Completely agree. As a pediatrician I am seeing and hearing this almost daily. Us primary healthcare providers have had to take on a lot more mental health care over the past few years. Specialty mental health care is spread so thin that appointments are typically 4+ months out---not tenable. We've all had to take crash-course training on advanced mental healthcare medication management. It's been stressful for us and more so for our patients and families.

And I also live in Utah. I think this legislation is a good first step. Obviously it will be challenged in court, and there will be amendments, but we have to start somewhere. The fact that it allows families to sue the social media companies may make some difference. Something has to change. This has been awful.

Just gonna say the tik tok thing is the oddest. We know it's spyware but are hooked on it. Almost think govt has to do something.
i don’t have Tik Tok, but a few questions

- what is the beef, that Chinese government owns it?

- what are they doing that Google isn’t doing?

According to materials reviewed by Forbes, ByteDance tracked multiple Forbes journalists as part of this covert surveillance campaign, which was designed to unearth the source of leaks inside the company following a drumbeat of stories exposing the company’s ongoing links to China. As a result of the investigation into the surveillance tactics, ByteDance fired Chris Lepitak, its chief internal auditor who led the team responsible for them. The China-based executive Song Ye, who Lepitak reported to and who reports directly to ByteDance CEO Rubo Liang, resigned.

Watch this weekend's Bill Maher, they do a pretty succinct job of addressing it. Basically, you don't want an enemy state having infuence over your country not to mention personal data.
Definitely not sticking up for China here, but are they doing more than what our government does (hope this isn’t too political)

Great listen/podcast. Why Are American Teens so Unhappy? How Do We Solve This Crisis?

The term "social fitness" is going to become a increasingly elevated as this crisis grows (and it is one). The scary part is its the tweens and just below tweens (7+) where this crisis peaks. What also resonated with me was the concept of not just the negative aspect of social media but what its replacing (the 3+ hours a day). Think back to when you were a kid and what you did during your afternoons ands weekends...and now replace that with looking at a screen.

Watch this weekend's Bill Maher, they do a pretty succinct job of addressing it. Basically, you don't want an enemy state having infuence over your country not to mention personal data.
Definitely not sticking up for China here, but are they doing more than what our government does (hope this isn’t too political)

China banned facebook and other social media...for over a decade now. I couldn't get to facebook when I was in BeiJing about 15 years ago.

Best guess is that we will see youth restrictions and/or controls put in place at a Federal level eventually. It will be difficult to get more than that through the SCOTUS IMHO.

Last edited:

I mean they all have ipads or whatever. A lot of districts have gone no phone or bagged phones around here. It supposedly hasn't done much.
Yea I get that. I'm all for giving the adults running the public schools more ability to use authority. The problem there, is their hands are tied, and the bad kids kinda run the show.
My wife and I have an 8th, and 5th grader in public school, who we have very good communication with. Pretty crazy what the bad kids are getting away with, epsecially in Jr high

Last edited:
My school actually shifted to a mostly no phone policy. Teachers can allow it here and there but the general idea is kids shouldn’t be on their phones and administration backs us if kids refuse. It’s made a massive difference compared to last year. Still a long way to go though.

Completely agree. As a pediatrician I am seeing and hearing this almost daily. Us primary healthcare providers have had to take on a lot more mental health care over the past few years. Specialty mental health care is spread so thin that appointments are typically 4+ months out---not tenable. We've all had to take crash-course training on advanced mental healthcare medication management. It's been stressful for us and more so for our patients and families.

And I also live in Utah. I think this legislation is a good first step. Obviously it will be challenged in court, and there will be amendments, but we have to start somewhere. The fact that it allows families to sue the social media companies may make some difference. Something has to change. This has been awful.
Oh yeah in schools, we’ve been functioning as mental healthcare facilities and pseudo parents for awhile now but it’s only increasing. Now I admittedly work with kids more likely to be at risk but teaching is a pretty small part of the day. It’s more managing behaviors, trying to motivate people, dealing with emotional issues, counseling, socializing than it’s really about teaching. Hard to teach Chemistry when this kid is crying and these 2 kids put their head down and refuse to do anything, another kid asks to use the bathroom and doesn’t come back and 3 other kids can’t pay attention for more than a minute because they don’t have their medication.

Oh yeah in schools, we’ve been functioning as mental healthcare facilities and pseudo parents for awhile now but it’s only increasing. Now I admittedly work with kids more likely to be at risk but teaching is a pretty small part of the day. It’s more managing behaviors, trying to motivate people, dealing with emotional issues, counseling, socializing than it’s really about teaching. Hard to teach Chemistry when this kid is crying and these 2 kids put their head down and refuse to do anything, another kid asks to use the bathroom and doesn’t come back and 3 other kids can’t pay attention for more than a minute because they don’t have their medication.
My BIL and his wife are also high school teachers and they echo your points and concerns. I thank you for your dedication to your profession and the children you mentor. You all deserve so much more. Teachers in this country are so underappreciated in every way. It's a crime........

The internet is the best and worst invention of mankind.

parents need to do something.
Yes. THIS

(says the guy with no kids)
My daughter is 16. The inner tubes are the worst. I despise dumb tok. Her Instagram got hacked and she was upset, but she deleted it and moved on. I’m hoping something similar happens with dumb tok.

what really sucks is the various apps, primarily snap chat, are the only way the kids communicate. They don’t even text.

My school actually shifted to a mostly no phone policy. Teachers can allow it here and there but the general idea is kids shouldn’t be on their phones and administration backs us if kids refuse. It’s made a massive difference compared to last year. Still a long way to go though.
Yea they aren't sposed to be on their phones,but it's impossible enforce, at least where my kids go to school.

Obviously we're not going to be able to totally block kids from social media. But it would nice to find ways to establish strong norms against allowing children unfettered access to sites like Instagram and TikTok. We all know that there would be obvious enforcement problems with an "18+" policy, for example, such a policy would certainly make it easier for parents to say no when your kid can't come back with the argument that all their friends are on Insta so they need to be on it too. Right now, it's a race to the bottom led by the most permissive among us, and we should look for ways to short-circuit that.

It's important to distinguish which problem it is that we're talking about, too. TikTok is unique because we know that it's at least spyware, and it would not surprise me if it were being used for psyop campaigns. We should probably not allow this sort of thing going forward. I would welcome a EU-owned or Japan-owned SM platform, but we should feel comfortable showing products produced in authoritarian countries the door. Too much potential for mischief.

The issue of kids getting warped by Instagram and Snapchat is different and needs to be handled differently. Those products are fine for adults (unlike TikTok) and we just need to find a way to help kids use them more responsibly. Totally different problem.

1000%. No.

The potential banning of TikTok is a super interesting story with all kinds of different angles.

Im shocked this hasnt already been stopped. Its literally a matter of national security. The Chinese have millions of recording and video devices throughout our entire country.

Seems like a no brainer from day one.

Social media crashed upon society like a huge wave, washing over almost every aspect of our every day lives. You can't avoid it. Search for a sweater online? See that exact sweater appear the next time you log into Facebook in an add. The world is on a Minority Report path that we all laughed at when the movie came out in 2002 but here we are. We tried to insulate our kids from it and monitor their activities, they still got into stuff and at the age of 58, I have a login to about 5-6 different social media apps only because I used to try to monitor their activity.

The genie is out of the bottle now and won't go back in regardless of the amount of legislation you throw at it. TikTok needs to go but it will be replaced by something else. Parents handing their 2-3-4 year old's iPad's at restaurants or to babysit them while they have friends over don't help. It will take an effort no one is going to make except for small, small portion of society. I don't have an answer or a plan but it's a major problem we will have to deal with for decades to come.

Yea they aren't sposed to be on their phones,but it's impossible enforce, at least where my kids go to school.
I would say we are at 80% success. Some teachers are just lax about it and that's probably always going to be that way. Some teachers are absolutely militant about it. Most are reasonable and enforce no phones when class is functioning. I for example allow phones once we are done as a class (last couple minutes or you finish your test or we take a couple minute break so I can transition to something else). The thing that's nice about the phone in school is the same reason many parents lean on it, it's easy classroom management. Let the kids use their phones and they are mostly all quiet and stay seated. It is creepy though to look out at a room of 30 teens and none of them are talking to each other, they all are just silently on their phones. So I've been trying to do more phoneless breaks, even giving them something to talk about or pairing them up and insisting they report back on some kind of non-academic related topic.

Do we have kids who just refuse sometimes? Yes. Luckily administration supports us and will call their parents, will tell the kids they can't return to class until they play ball, etc. If enforcement isn't working at school, I believe that it's because 1) teachers aren't trying 2) admin doesn't support the teachers in it 3) the parents won't back the administration. If all 3 are mostly on the same program, phone use can be significantly reduced.

SALT LAKE CITY — Utah became the first state to enact laws limiting how children can use social media after Republican Gov. Spencer Cox signed a pair of measures Thursday that require parental consent before kids can sign up for sites like TikTok and Instagram.

The two bills Cox signed into law also prohibit kids under 18 from using social media between the hours of 10:30 p.m. and 6:30 a.m., require age verification for anyone who wants to use social media in the state and seek to prevent tech companies from luring kids to their apps using addictive features.
Under 18.

I am very optimistic about this working, as I am sure we all remember how difficult it was to see R-rated movies when we were children.
IMO this is one of the most divisive things that our "media" does. How about you write Gov. Spencer Cox instead of calling out his party. All that does is incite people. It's akin to writing Mormon Gov. Spencer Cox or Black Gov. Wes Moore or Female Gov. Laura Kelly. If everyone is so concerned about equality... then stop differentiating people based on their race, religion, gender and political party.

Off my soapbox...

I would say we are at 80% success. Some teachers are just lax about it and that's probably always going to be that way. Some teachers are absolutely militant about it. Most are reasonable and enforce no phones when class is functioning. I for example allow phones once we are done as a class (last couple minutes or you finish your test or we take a couple minute break so I can transition to something else). The thing that's nice about the phone in school is the same reason many parents lean on it, it's easy classroom management. Let the kids use their phones and they are mostly all quiet and stay seated. It is creepy though to look out at a room of 30 teens and none of them are talking to each other, they all are just silently on their phones. So I've been trying to do more phoneless breaks, even giving them something to talk about or pairing them up and insisting they report back on some kind of non-academic related topic.

Do we have kids who just refuse sometimes? Yes. Luckily administration supports us and will call their parents, will tell the kids they can't return to class until they play ball, etc. If enforcement isn't working at school, I believe that it's because 1) teachers aren't trying 2) admin doesn't support the teachers in it 3) the parents won't back the administration. If all 3 are mostly on the same program, phone use can be significantly reduced.
My wife was an elementary teacher for 18 years and transitioned to assistant principal 2 years ago. I also have a son in 10th grade and a daughter in 7th grade. Social media/screen time/phone usage is a semi-daily topic of discussion and debate in our household.

My son's only social media is Snapchat because (as someone mentioned above) it is literally the only platform the high schoolers will use to communicate. They don't text and they sure as heck don't call each other. We fought him for over a year on it, but I finally relented because he never knew what his friends were doing on the weekends as he was out of the loop and was getting really upset on a regular basis about it. I give him some strong warnings about controlling who he snaps with and what girls send him.

My daughter does have a private YouTube account she used when she was younger to post some silly videos. Her two primary friends just facetime with her a LOT but she also has a text group with her club volleyball team. She is much more naturally social than my son so it has seemed easier for us to limit/control her social media because she doesn't really seem to need it, but she is also younger and that may ramp up once she gets to HS.

As far as Tik Tok goes, we've never allowed it on either of our kids phones. My daughter has asked for it a couple of times, but we initially didn't want her on there when she was so young. Now I wouldn't let either of them on it ever.

Where is your school district if you don't mind me asking?

My wife was an elementary teacher for 18 years and transitioned to assistant principal 2 years ago. I also have a son in 10th grade and a daughter in 7th grade. Social media/screen time/phone usage is a semi-daily topic of discussion and debate in our household.

My son's only social media is Snapchat because (as someone mentioned above) it is literally the only platform the high schoolers will use to communicate. They don't text and they sure as heck don't call each other. We fought him for over a year on it, but I finally relented because he never knew what his friends were doing on the weekends as he was out of the loop and was getting really upset on a regular basis about it. I give him some strong warnings about controlling who he snaps with and what girls send him.

My daughter does have a private YouTube account she used when she was younger to post some silly videos. Her two primary friends just facetime with her a LOT but she also has a text group with her club volleyball team. She is much more naturally social than my son so it has seemed easier for us to limit/control her social media because she doesn't really seem to need it, but she is also younger and that may ramp up once she gets to HS.

As far as Tik Tok goes, we've never allowed it on either of our kids phones. My daughter has asked for it a couple of times, but we initially didn't want her on there when she was so young. Now I wouldn't let either of them on it ever.
Nothing sounds unhealthy about that. I probably wouldn't advocate banning youths from social media altogether. A simple start for our government would just be getting a wrap on pornography if we wanted legislation. Studies on social media use show that not all social media use is equal. Here are a couple examples:

- Passive Scrolling vs Active Posting
  • Passive scrolling is bad. It creates no communication or social interaction and tends to lead to jealousy, low self esteem, depression, anxiety. If passively scrolling through IG, you are bombarded with people who are better looking, wealthier, living cooler lives, more talented, etc. If passively scrolling Twitter, you are constantly reminded of how bad the world is, how much funnier and more popular other people are. TikTok is probably a mix of them both.
  • Active posting can be creative, can involve social interaction, can involve practicing self expression, can lead to connections.
- What is the social media time replacing?
  • If 3 hours of daily social media time is replacing 3 hours of watching Netflix than it's probably a wash.
  • If those 3 hours are replacing sleep, exercise, family time than it's definitely bad for their mental, physical and social health.

@Ilov80s the incident that made us feel like phones need to be banned from school was when my daughter was in 7th grade. A boy took her picture at school, doctored up the pic to make fun of her appearance, and then posted it on his Snapchat......all on school grounds. Apparently, this little punk has a lot of followers including a bunch of his 7th classmates who proceeded to come up to my daughter throughtout the day and show her the pic......she was devasted.....she's a 7th grade girl who is already self conscious about her appearance......we were ****ing pissed!!! If the school didn't do something I was finding parents....kid was suspended for a few days whatever......at least he leaves my daughter alone now......also, there have been multiple porn/ inappropriate pics that show up......I mean teenage boys with all that at their fingertips! At a minimum, it's a huge distraction, and at it's worst, it's a tool to harass, bully, and abuse.......should not be allowed at school. Bring back pay phones. Or use the phone at the office if you need to get a hold of ur parents.

Well, as far as I know, our government isn’t hacking Americans and selling their compromised data to criminals like China is. They aren’t hacking corporations and blackmailing them. Our government isn’t accumulating as much data as possible on utilities and infrastructure in order to attack and cripple our country. Our government isn’t trying to probe our military trying to steal information to attack us with.

Also, data could be used by China to identify potential espionage assets.

@Ilov80s the incident that made us feel like phones need to be banned from school was when my daughter was in 7th grade. A boy took her picture at school, doctored up the pic to make fun of her appearance, and then posted it on his Snapchat......all on school grounds. Apparently, this little punk has a lot of followers including a bunch of his 7th classmates who proceeded to come up to my daughter throughtout the day and show her the pic......she was devasted.....she's a 7th grade girl who is already self conscious about her appearance......we were ****ing pissed!!! If the school didn't do something I was finding parents....kid was suspended for a few days whatever......at least he leaves my daughter alone now......also, there have been multiple porn/ inappropriate pics that show up......I mean teenage boys with all that at their fingertips! At a minimum, it's a huge distraction, and at it's worst, it's a tool to harass, bully, and abuse.......should not be allowed at school. Bring back pay phones. Or use the phone at the office if you need to get a hold of ur parents.
Yeah taking pictures of other people is a problem. Good luck getting rules to disallow phones to enter a school building. That's just not going to happen IMO. Parents and kids depend on them to communicate, coordinate rides and I have heard from multiple parents, "if there is a school shooting, my kid needs access to their phone". I just don't think you can create a time machine on this one. If parents want to unite on this one, good for them but I don't see schools getting enough support to do this. Maybe at middle school it's possible, not sure. I teach HS so that is all I know. A total phone ban is not happening.

The interesting thing about the social media age is while it's brought major negatives like increased teen anxiety, depression and lower social fitness. It has also coincided with positive trends like a decrease in alcohol and drug use, decrease in teen pregnancy and decrease in bullying. I went to school without cell phones and I promise kids were a hell of a lot meaner than they are now.

Users who are viewing this thread