What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you back out of an email offer? (1 Viewer)

Pick

Footballguy
You're emailing back and forth for a few days. You put an offer on the table. A few days go by and in that time you decide otherwise. However, you don't rescind the offer because you assume trade talks are just that . . . talking. In the meantime, the other owner has accepted the offer.

I know leagues have rules covering this but I'm just wondering about the officialness of emailed offers.

You're emailing back and forth for a few days. You put an offer on the table. A few days go by and in that time you decide otherwise. However, you don't rescind the offer because you assume trade talks are just that . . . talking. In the meantime, the other owner has accepted the offer.

I know leagues have rules covering this but I'm just wondering about the officialness of emailed offers.
That's about it.

That's about it.
Rules generally state that a trade isn't official until both parties officially accept with an e-mail to the Commish or a posting on a league message board.On the other hand, in the interest of future dealings, I make it very clear whether I'm extending an offer or simply "just talking." Also, if I have an offer out and think better of it later, I send an e-mail explaining that I'm rescinding that particular offer.

In other words, rules are rules, but do all you can to keep another owner from feeling burned or future dealings will be far more difficult. Stay, as best you can, in everyone's good graces and trades will be far easier to consummate.

That's about it.
Rules generally state that a trade isn't official until both parties officially accept with an e-mail to the Commish or a posting on a league message board.
That's how we've always done it . . . or so I thought. Now we're on MFL so that probably will solve stuff.
On the other hand, in the interest of future dealings, I make it very clear whether I'm extending an offer or simply "just talking." Also, if I have an offer out and think better of it later, I send an e-mail explaining that I'm rescinding that particular offer.

In other words, rules are rules, but do all you can to keep another owner from feeling burned or future dealings will be far more difficult. Stay, as best you can, in everyone's good graces and trades will be far easier to consummate.
Ya, I think in the future I'm putting a disclaimer on all offers or something. I think it's lame to hold people to emails. Cuz you could have some offer out there that an owner never gets to and then decides to accept way down the road.Oh well. :eek:

That's about it.
Rules generally state that a trade isn't official until both parties officially accept with an e-mail to the Commish or a posting on a league message board.
That's how we've always done it . . . or so I thought. Now we're on MFL so that probably will solve stuff.
On the other hand, in the interest of future dealings, I make it very clear whether I'm extending an offer or simply "just talking." Also, if I have an offer out and think better of it later, I send an e-mail explaining that I'm rescinding that particular offer.

Ya, I think in the future I'm putting a disclaimer on all offers or something. I think it's lame to hold people to emails. Cuz you could have some offer out there that an owner never gets to and then decides to accept way down the road.Oh well. :bag:
Unless YOU confirm the trade with the commish, it's not a done deal.BUT, I would still suggest that you are more careful to write rather than imply you are exploring trade options not necessarily (sp?) looking to make that deal.

I think it's lame to hold people to emails. Cuz you could have some offer out there that an owner never gets to and then decides to accept way down the road.
League rules trump everything else.But in general -- aside from the technicality of any rules -- an email offer should remain open until it expires ("this offer is good until noon on Thursday"), until it is revoked ("never mind that offer I sent you; I changed my mind"), or until circumstances change such that it would be unfair to hold someone to it (e.g., a guy gets injured after the offer is made, but before it is accepted). At some point, just the passing of time itself constitutes a change in circumstances. If a month goes by, it's unreasonable to think that the offer is still open even if it wasn't specifically revoked.The best practice -- whether using email or league hosting software -- is to set a deadline for acceptance. Not only will it avoid confusion if somebody tries to accept the offer "way down the road," but it will often also help the deal get done. If the other owner wants to do the deal, he knows he has to pull the trigger.

I have been working on trying to be better about trade offers. If I decide to pull back an offer because I am looking at that I am trying to make sure I let the other owner know. I am also trying to remember to put an expiration date on offers. I agree with what is being said above but I am trying to also add the best practices I mentioned to try to reduce the chance of any hard feelings.

That's about it.

Ya, I think in the future I'm putting a disclaimer on all offers or something. I think it's lame to hold people to emails. Cuz you could have some offer out there that an owner never gets to and then decides to accept way down the road.Oh well. :bag:
Unless YOU confirm the trade with the commish, it's not a done deal.BUT, I would still suggest that you are more careful to write rather than imply you are exploring trade options not necessarily (sp?) looking to make that deal.
Here is the clause from our rules dealing with trades when it is the offseason (since we use Yahoo for this leauge and can not do everything online)...maybe it will help in the future:To propose a trade, contact the Team Owner you would like to offer a trade to (phone, email, letter, etc). If the two-Team Owners are in agreement, each Team Owner must send an email to the commissioner. Until this happens, the Commissioner or the league has no control over the trade if any Team Owner backs out of the trade offer. The emails show consent for the trade to take place. There must be consent from both Team Owners for a trade to be completed. If no action is taken in 10 days (i.e. both emails are received), the Commissioner will automatically consider the trade cancelled.

Emails are like conference rooms....talk is cheap.....but necessary to reach a deal.

It is a good idea to be a man of your word....but you dont need to ruin your team if you dont feel right.

Bottom line....on the board...Commish review and then approval is final. So you can back out until that point.....the emails are nothing without approval.

Hey Pick,

saw the thread ....... I will add it to the rules review for next season to put some specifics in place as current rules really do not address the issue in specific enough terms IMO

G

Last edited by a moderator:
Emails are like conference rooms....talk is cheap.....but necessary to reach a deal.It is a good idea to be a man of your word....but you dont need to ruin your team if you dont feel right.Bottom line....on the board...Commish review and then approval is final. So you can back out until that point.....the emails are nothing without approval.
:goodposting: that's pretty much it.Another metaphor:Emails are like a recruiter's talk. Meaningless without a written contract. (only here, a written contract is the league's site or whatever the rules state)

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, as was mentioned above, league rules trump everything. However, a lot depends on your relationship with the others in the league. If you send an offer, and it is accepted, it is bad form to back out. You will ruin your reputation, even if the other party can't hold you to it.

In fact, if you are involved in legal negotiatations, and you make a written offer and it is accepted, the law will generally hold you to it.

this is very very very simple

if the e-mail says

this OFFER IS ON THE TABLE ......

or the WORDS is this a DONE DEAL ?

its official....case closed ...if you say the offer is on the table via e-mail and then back out .. it is simply weak

many times i h ave not been close to a computer .. so had to send a e-mail offer via my cell phone or ect .. and the owner has sent a e-mail saying OK .. DONE DEAL .

If you're not using the mfl.com offer system, then:

1) you should always copy yourself on any email offers you send for your own records;

2) any offer you make should have an expiration date and time if not accepted (no more than a week, and usually less IMHO); and

3) you can rescind the offer at any time before acceptance by sending a subsequent email.

I'm sure this has already been said, but...

If your league rules specifically state that all offers via email are official, then you should stand by it. If not, there is nothing holding you to it except honor.

If there are no rules in your league that address emailed trade offers, I think you should probably stand by your offer anyway. However, I would try to communicate with the other owner and explain that you had second thoughts and were no longer comfortable with the deal. Hopefully he/she will let you off of the hook. But if not, I think you should probably go through with it.

That's about it.

Ya, I think in the future I'm putting a disclaimer on all offers or something. I think it's lame to hold people to emails. Cuz you could have some offer out there that an owner never gets to and then decides to accept way down the road.Oh well. :lmao:
I hear ye. I did not confirm the trade via email but it still went through. But it's not like it was a huge deal anyway so I rolled with it despite initially being pretty torqued.

Hey Pick,saw the thread ....... I will add it to the rules review for next season to put some specifics in place as current rules really do not address the issue in specific enough terms IMOG
I like the nothing official til commish approval thing. However, I can see how some trades might be considered official even without commish approval.

Find good people for your league and it won't be a problem. Most people can understand the difference between sending a firm offer and discussing options.

If someone sends me an offer that I want to accept I'll usually send them a confirmation saying:

"So it is player X for player Y?. I'll do that deal, you can inform the commissioner."

That way there is no confusion.

Another trick I do using the hosting site trade feature is offer to exchange kickers. In the body of the message I put the names of players I really want to discuss. That lets me send an offer to the guy using the hosting site, without the worry of a mistakenly accepted trade. After some back and forth if we agree on a trade I'll send the proper offer from the hosting site.

Users who are viewing this thread