What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (1 Viewer)

You think it is funny that I feel entitled to get the best deal possible and call them ##### for not providing that.
No, I think it's funny that you feel entitled to deals that are not open to existing customers.

The only thing you are entitled to from DirecTV is the service you have paid for.

DTV peaked US based subscribers 2 years ago. They have been losing US customers since then but have made up the gap overseas.

You think it is funny that I feel entitled to get the best deal possible and call them ##### for not providing that.
No, I think it's funny that you feel entitled to deals that are not open to existing customers.

The only thing you are entitled to from DirecTV is the service you have paid for.
They have retention deals as well for existing/leaving customers, as noted on slick deals... newdeal1 & newdeal2.

Last edited by a moderator:

That's the issue these companies have, their customers stay loyal, but aren't rewarded. I don't blame someone who has been a loyal customer for almost 10 years for wanting the best deal they can get. If Joe Schmo new customer is getting free perks, why can't someone who has been with the company for years?

i just randomly called them up, they thanked me for my loyalty. i asked what offers they had and they gave me $10- off my bill for the next 12 mos. along with

3 months of free Max/Starz. i have them for the ticket and would never leave, so anything i get is great.

i just randomly called them up, they thanked me for my loyalty. i asked what offers they had and they gave me $10- off my bill for the next 12 mos. along with

3 months of free Max/Starz. i have them for the ticket and would never leave, so anything i get is great.
The point of this thread is that you can get a lot more than what you received.

Most people in here don't pay for the ST and receive $30-$40 off a month. It has been this way forever, now it is changing.

We're trying to figure out how to keep our free stuff. I'm following the script on slick deals and will post follow-ups.

They have retention deals as well for existing/leaving customers, as noted on slick deals... newdeal1 & newdeal2.
Yes, they have them.

No, they do not owe them to you.

So I canceled Directv after 14 years.I use to do all the negotiating things.It worked until last year so no ST for me last year.I called several times this year complaining about the price .Still received no offers my bill was up over 120 dollars.When I finally called to cancel I had installed an outside antenna and subscribed to Netflix ,Hulu Plus,and Amazon Prime for 24 bucks.At that point they did offer a pretty good deal but as far as I was concerned I was done.When I told the girl that my bill was over a 120 a month with no premium channels.Her reply was no way let me check on that she came back and said your right.I went on to say the only reason I called was the box you sent me for the receivers was not going to work as I have 5 receivers it would be like trying to fit 2 tons of fertilizer in a 1 ton truck.Her reply was we only want one.So the receivers I have been paying damn near 60 bucks a month for were worthless to them.I will never go back even if they offered it to me free.Principal of the thing.

So I canceled Directv after 14 years.I use to do all the negotiating things.It worked until last year so no ST for me last year.I called several times this year complaining about the price .Still received no offers my bill was up over 120 dollars.When I finally called to cancel I had installed an outside antenna and subscribed to Netflix ,Hulu Plus,and Amazon Prime for 24 bucks.At that point they did offer a pretty good deal but as far as I was concerned I was done.When I told the girl that my bill was over a 120 a month with no premium channels.Her reply was no way let me check on that she came back and said your right.I went on to say the only reason I called was the box you sent me for the receivers was not going to work as I have 5 receivers it would be like trying to fit 2 tons of fertilizer in a 1 ton truck.Her reply was we only want one.So the receivers I have been paying damn near 60 bucks a month for were worthless to them.I will never go back even if they offered it to me free.Principal of the thing.
Not a sports fan?

Not a sports fan?

Yes I am but I will watch whats on the networks and do without the rest.I grew up with 3 channels so I think I will survive.I can still read about them in the newspapers (as long as they are still around).I can get most of my sports fix by watching high school football,basketball,and baseball.Really in the past few years I have grown really fond of watching the games of our local high school team here in Eustis.So I think I'm going to be ok.

MattFancy said:
It's weird to me that they've been harder to work with to keep giving us deals. I mean, are they really losing money by giving someone discounts and free stuff? Maybe, but in the long run, you're keeping your customers happy and still getting their money.

What sucks for me, is in my area, we don't really have many choices. It's DirecTV, Dish or Metrocast and that's it. So I'd love to play hardball with them, but I can only go so far because the other options are crap.
Dish is that bad?

FatUncleJerryBuss said:
shuke said:
fantasycurse42 said:
MattFancy said:
fantasycurse42 said:
Okay, I'm on the script... Best they offered was $75 off the ticket. Cancellation date set, let's see if I get the email beforehand.

I knew this AT&T #### would be bad news.
Going to need updates on this!
I'll update... As of now I have a cancellation date 3 weeks out.Instead of offering me anything(outside of $75 off the ticket), he tried bashing "the offer I was receiving". This tactic pissed me off to the point that I am actually considering canceling.

I think they really are going to start losing consumers with their new tactics.
Maybe a handful, but I'm guessing most people are too lazy or don't want to deal with the hassle of changing that they don't follow through on their bluff.

DirecTV isn't stupid. They know what we're doing.
Never sell short corporate ineptness. For sure the people fielding the calls know but whether that transitions to the people in charge grasping it, is something totally different.
Exactly. Some very successful businesses have idiots at the top.

I scheduled my service to shut off on May 29th and it was shut down this morning :(

However, when I called to have it turned back on so that I could stay on script, all the new options opened up!! :)

A 1 year contract gets me:

*Free Sunday Ticket

*$33 off per month

*free HBO for 3 months

*$200 gift card

I could not be happier. Thank you for the recommendation.

The CR rep said as soon as my service disconnected, all of these deals opened up for me.

I scheduled my service to shut off on May 29th and it was shut down this morning :(

However, when I called to have it turned back on so that I could stay on script, all the new options!! :)

A 1 year contract gets me

Free Sunday Ticket

$33 off per month

free HBO for 3 months

$200 gift card

The CR rep said as soon as my service disconnected, all of these deals opened up for me.
Interesting...

So as soon as you disconnect you get a deal. Maybe I'll move my cancel date up from early June.

The last two times I've been up for renewal, I've had to let it cancel to get the deals I wanted. They've even been as forward to say, "We can get you what you want, but you have to let your service cancellation go through first."

However, when I called to have it turned back on so that I could stay on script, all the new options!! :)

Free Sunday Ticket

$33 off per month

free HBO for 3 months

$200 gift card

Interesting...

So as soon as you disconnect you get a deal. Maybe I'll move my cancel date up from early June.
I think these are the exact options you get if you get the NEWDEAL1 email and phone number. You can get those deals with a scheduled service disconnect in the future according to that link listed earlier in the thread.

Free Sunday Ticket

$33 off per month

free HBO for 3 months

$200 gift card

Interesting...

I think these are the exact options you get if you get the NEWDEAL1 email and phone number. You can get those deals with a scheduled service disconnect in the future according to that link listed earlier in the thread.
Yes, this was the deal I got, and the disconnect was scheduled but had not yet happened.

Free Sunday Ticket

$33 off per month

free HBO for 3 months

$200 gift card

Interesting...

Yes, this was the deal I got, and the disconnect was scheduled but had not yet happened.
I can't thank you enough!

After hitting the brick wall last year I was resigned to it again this year.

This deal is better than any package I could put together by cord cutting by a long shot.

I have 6 months left on my contract. I'm going to cancel, pay the $120 and get the new deal. I'll make it up in a couple of months and only extend my contract for 6 months when I can do it again.

I have 6 months left on my contract. I'm going to cancel, pay the $120 and get the new deal. I'll make it up in a couple of months and only extend my contract for 6 months when I can do it again.
If you re-sign up for a new deal before the discontinuation takes effect, you won't have to pay the cancellation fee. However, your new 12mo contacts starts at the time you accept the offer.

However, when I called to have it turned back on so that I could stay on script, all the new options opened up!! :)

*Free Sunday Ticket

*$33 off per month

*free HBO for 3 months

*$200 gift card

So they shut it off before the agreed-upon date?

*Free Sunday Ticket

*$33 off per month

*free HBO for 3 months

*$200 gift card

Just found out from Century Link that if I bundle Directv since I am no longer a customer of theirs,with my internet service and home phone that I already have with Century Link.I can get ST for free.HBO and Cinamax for free for 3 months plus a 150 dollar prepaid Visa card. for Price143 dollars a month.I pay 109 bucks right now to CenturyLink .So for 34 bucks more I get all that plus 5 year lock on price. Doh never say never.I coming back can't turn that down.Of course this deal comes from Century Link and not Directv but I never look a gift horse in the mouth.The 5 yr lock does not include directv 2 yr contract with them

If you re-sign up for a new deal before the discontinuation takes effect, you won't have to pay the cancellation fee. However, your new 12mo contacts starts at the time you accept the offer.
I'm in the same boat. I have 6 months left on my 2-yr deal. So if I call them now and say I want to re-up, I'll get the new customer deals?

Anyone think that while deciding what to offer you as a customer, they review your history?

I've been abusing the system since 2006... My post at the top of the last page lays out my concern that they are finally calling my bluff.

I feel like maybe they see that I have threatened to cancel for a decade and now they're just like "fine, go ahead, cancel". Maybe a newer subscriber who hasn't been abusing the system for so long might have better luck?

I've got a cancel date for the beginning of next month. He told me I would be receiving a prepaid shipping box to send the Genie back.
They are making money on you no matter what, the question is how much they will make. They don't want to lose any customers as they go to competitors and make them money.
I get this, but all of the sudden they're now just complete #####. This has to be due to AT&T.
:goodposting: They wouldn't deal with me last year at all, I am with xfinity now and have a much better deal and way better internet for about 40/mth less than when I was with DTV.

How can you sign up again before they shut it off?

I'm in the same boat. I have 6 months left on my 2-yr deal. So if I call them now and say I want to re-up, I'll get the new customer deals?
Look back for the slickdeals link I posted a few days ago - you need to follow those instructions. You would set a cancellation date for a couple of weeks out (and agree to pay a cancellation fee in the process), but before the cancellation actually takes effect, you can get the new customer deal (and not pay the cancellation fee). But you cannot get that deal until you set cancellation.

Once you are in the system as a customer who is cancelling (even though the cancellation has not yet taken effect), the new deals become available.

Once you are in the system as a customer who is cancelling (even though the cancellation has not yet taken effect), the new deals become available.
This is the same situation for Uverse. You just need to use a different name, dogs, wives, mothers, whatever and a different phone number. It doesn't even have to be a real phone number but you need to remember it when you call in. I started using a scam where I did this

214-XXX-XXXX then next time I'd get the promo I'd say area code 215, 216, 217, that way I wouldn't ever forget the number the account was tied to.

*Free Sunday Ticket

*$33 off per month

*free HBO for 3 months

*$200 gift card

Just found out from Century Link that if I bundle Directv since I am no longer a customer of theirs,with my internet service and home phone that I already have with Century Link.I can get ST for free.HBO and Cinamax for free for 3 months plus a 150 dollar prepaid Visa card. for Price143 dollars a month.I pay 109 bucks right now to CenturyLink .So for 34 bucks more I get all that plus 5 year lock on price. Doh never say never.I coming back can't turn that down.Of course this deal comes from Century Link and not Directv but I never look a gift horse in the mouth.The 5 yr lock does not include directv 2 yr contract with them
Well it looks like I jumped the gun with my excitement with my new deal with Directv being bundled with my Century Link service.Century Link rep called me today and said that Directv wants you to prepay 19.95 handling fee before they schedule service.She said they have been having a lot of their bundling packages kicked back from Directv if the customer had been with Directv previously.So she wanted me to call them before she charged me in case there was a problem.So I gave Directv a call and for the first time ever I got a really snotty rep from them usually they are very nice.So turns out they have three categories of customers new,returning and existing. Since I was a returning customer they would not honor the Century Link deal.She would how ever give me the same thing Century Link offered for 50 dollars more a month with a two year contract price lasting a year instead of two.She seemed to think that was a great deal and I would be crazy not to take it.Thing is it was the Extra Pkg that was offered to me for 49.99 when they finally realized I was actually canceling. This offer was 40 more than that so I guess I just don't get the logic.Well anyway I suddenly got my principles back and turned it down.Funny how those principles come and go.

*Free Sunday Ticket

*$33 off per month

*free HBO for 3 months

*$200 gift card

yes. The original Customer Rep must have put in the order to shut it off immediately instead of the May 29th date I requested.

It all worked out fine though.

I noticed last night that I have every premium channel, not just HBO. I could have sworn the rep said it was just HBO free for the 3 months.

Oh cool, I think the deal is even better than what the rep told me. I just copied this from out of my account online. She only mentioned the $33 off per month but it looks like there is an additional $10 off per month as well for the next 12 months. Sweet!

And the below also confirms that it is the large group of premiums that are for free for 3 months (not that I care about these at all).

05/16/15 Started credits for $10 off $77.99 for 12 months.

05/16/15 Started credits for $50.99 off HBO, STARZ, SHOWTIME and CINEMAX for 3 months.

05/16/15 Started credits for 2-Year Savings: $33 off $77.99 for months 1-12.

Follow-up time...

I got impatient, so I called the number in the comments section here.

I never received the email and the account manager I spoke to said he didn't see me in the system. I told him my friend had canceled and was sent this number in case he wanted to stay. He pulled my account and asked me why I was leaving. I explained that TWC had a better offer and I couldn't afford the Sunday Ticket. His response made me feel like I was in an infomercial.

DTV: Well Mr FC, I might be able to help save you a lot of money, would you be interested?

Me: I've got a great deal with TWC being offered, so it would really have to wow me...

DTV: GET READY TO BE WOWED!!!

Me: :excited:

DTV: Are you currently happy with the channels you receive and your current package?

Me: Yes, happy with programming, not price.

DTV: Well, here is what I am going to offer... The same channels, package, and everything you have right now, but it'll only be (takes a minute to calculate) $88 a month for 12 months.

Me: (thinking we are off to a good start, that is almost $30 a month)... My response; meh

DTV: Are you a sports fan?

Me: Yes

DTV: We're going to throw in the Sunday Ticket Max!!!!!

Me: We're still kinda expensive.

DTV: And just for staying with us, after your first 30 days on a new 12 month agreement you get a $200 Visa Card!!!

Me: :excited: Deal!

DTV: And a newwwwwww CAR!!!!

Okay, the new car didn't happen, but this deal is better than any previous deal. I really hope we can do this on an annual basis.

Stick to the script gents, it is right here:

Call, set a cancel date 2 weeks out... Look out for the email. If you don't get it, call the number listed above and you should be golden.

Follow-up time...

I got impatient, so I called the number in the comments section here.

I never received the email and the account manager I spoke to said he didn't see me in the system. I told him my friend had canceled and was sent this number in case he wanted to stay. He pulled my account and asked me why I was leaving. I explained that TWC had a better offer and I couldn't afford the Sunday Ticket. His response made me feel like I was in an infomercial.

DTV: Well Mr FC, I might be able to help save you a lot of money, would you be interested?

Me: I've got a great deal with TWC being offered, so it would really have to wow me...

DTV: GET READY TO BE WOWED!!!

Me: :excited:

DTV: Are you currently happy with the channels you receive and your current package?

Me: Yes, happy with programming, not price.

DTV: Well, here is what I am going to offer... The same channels, package, and everything you have right now, but it'll only be (takes a minute to calculate) $88 a month for 12 months.

Me: (thinking we are off to a good start, that is almost $30 a month)... My response; meh

DTV: Are you a sports fan?

Me: Yes

DTV: We're going to throw in the Sunday Ticket Max!!!!!

Me: We're still kinda expensive.

DTV: And just for staying with us, after your first 30 days on a new 12 month agreement you get a $200 Visa Card!!!

Me: :excited: Deal!

DTV: And a newwwwwww CAR!!!!

Okay, the new car didn't happen, but this deal is better than any previous deal. I really hope we can do this on an annual basis.

Stick to the script gents, it is right here:

Call, set a cancel date 2 weeks out... Look out for the email. If you don't get it, call the number listed above and you should be golden.
Everyone should jump on this. This is the best deal I have ever received from DTV and that is directly after the worst deal last year.

I hope someone cracks the code next year.

By the way, I have never got Sunday Ticket. What is the Max part of Sunday ticket?

I think Max just adds in mobile, tablet, or computer when not home...

It is actually :moneybag: I hooked my comp up to my FIL's TV twice last season.

Oh cool, I think the deal is even better than what the rep told me. I just copied this from out of my account online. She only mentioned the $33 off per month but it looks like there is an additional $10 off per month as well for the next 12 months. Sweet!

And the below also confirms that it is the large group of premiums that are for free for 3 months (not that I care about these at all).

05/16/15 Started credits for $10 off $77.99 for 12 months.

05/16/15 Started credits for $50.99 off HBO, STARZ, SHOWTIME and CINEMAX for 3 months.

05/16/15 Started credits for 2-Year Savings: $33 off $77.99 for months 1-12.
I called up because I saw a dish promotion running. Told them I wanted to cancel and they give me free movie channels for 3 months and 30 dollars off for a year. I asked about the ticket and he said to request that for free when I cancel the movie channels and should get it.

Reminder for those that don't want the free premium channels. You have to cancel them before the 3 months is up or you will see a huge bump in your statement.

Really thinking about doing the whole cancelling deal in August. My contract ends in Nov, so if I have to pay an early out fee, it should be pretty minimal at that point.

Really thinking about doing the whole cancelling deal in August. My contract ends in Nov, so if I have to pay an early out fee, it should be pretty minimal at that point.
You should just give it a shot now...

Call the regular number and set a date 3 weeks out. Then call the special number a week later. Either they'll give you the deal on the special number or you can just continue the service and try again in a few months.

I think they'll give you the deal.

Call the regular number and set a date 3 weeks out. Then call the special number a week later. Either they'll give you the deal on the special number or you can just continue the service and try again in a few months.

I don't want them to call my bluff though and then I shell out more than what my bill is right now. And I'm afraid if I don't end up cancelling, they'll for sure call my bluff when I try again.

I don't want them to call my bluff though and then I shell out more than what my bill is right now. And I'm afraid if I don't end up cancelling, they'll for sure call my bluff when I try again.
Keep your eye on the link that was posted earlier. These deals tend to expire after a while and I have no idea how long this one is good for. The link will likely see someone post when it is over.

Users who are viewing this thread